I lost my faith a while back

Spectrox War

My name is Spectrox. I am from the UK.

I lost my Christian faith about 15 years ago.

I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.

I am much more skeptical about religion and spirituality than I used to be (obviously) and I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.

GuySmiley

I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.

I am much more skeptical about religion and spirituality than I used to be (obviously) and I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.
Welcome! Are you over 35 years old now?

Spectrox War

:think:

The backhanded insult aside, assuming intent, I'd suggest this may be why you lost your faith between here and there. You didn't have a very good grip on it. :plain:

It wasn't intended as an insult. I was speaking honestly about my own experience now compared to when I had faith.

Do you think a person who has Christian faith is as logical and rational as one who does not? Is there something superior about being logical and rational? Maybe there isn't? Jesus said that people who have not seen but still believe are more blessed than those who have seen and believed (Doubting Thomas story after the resurrection).

I personally don't believe faith is a virtue anymore. But I could be wrong.

And in terms of losing my grip on faith - I felt it wasn't worth holding on to, so why would I continue holding on to it?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
With that username I figured it was that or a discothèque.

:think: I believe I can help. Where was the last place you remember having it?

Stands to reason.

Let's test that hypothesis: do you feel that's inextricably linked and logically follows or are you merely stating a particular distinction for you?

I am certainly happier.
Not if you're more logical you aren't. :nono:

I enjoy honest debate.
Then welcome aboard and hold onto your hat. :cheers:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
It wasn't intended as an insult. I was speaking honestly about my own experience now compared to when I had faith.
Well, just so you know, the implication is there. Intentional or no.

But, hey. Maybe I'm just easily provoked. It's been said.
Do you think a person who has Christian faith is as logical and rational as one who does not?
I haven't done the research or crunched the numbers but from what I've seen there's no correlation.
Is there something superior about being logical and rational? Maybe there isn't? Jesus said that people who have not seen but still believe are more blessed than those who have seen and believed (Doubting Thomas story after the resurrection).
I'm not seeing how believing in something you haven't seen is illogical or irrational.
I personally don't believe faith is a virtue anymore. But I could be wrong.
Like most things it's in how you apply it.
And in terms of losing my grip on faith - I felt it wasn't worth holding on to, so why would I continue holding on to it?
I submit that you felt it not worth holding onto because you didn't come by it rationally.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think you meant "rational" here, yeah? I don't see being logical as quite so mutually exclusive with happiness as it is rationality. I can quite happily come to a logical conclusion, while I'd have a difficult time happily coming to a rational one.

smiley-taunt003.gif

Spectrox War

With that username I figured it was that or a discothèque.

It's actually taken from an old Dr Who episode.

:think: I believe I can help. Where was the last place you remember having it?

Where? I don't know. I believed Jesus was my saviour and read the Bible everyday after catching the Christian bug. I was very intense about it for several months. But then I began to read stuff in the Bible that I didn't believe was true or could no longer support. I had an inner deconversion struggle for months. So there was no sudden a'ha moment when I lost it. It was a gradual realisation.

Stands to reason.

Yeah. I suppose.

Let's test that hypothesis: do you feel that's inextricably linked and logically follows or are you merely stating a particular distinction for you?

I think the rational skeptical part of my brain was not happy with the answers I was getting to questions I had. Answers from other Christians or the Bible itself. I came to the conclusion that I had a delusion. Hey. That sounds like a song lyric!

Ignorance is bliss you mean? I am happier that I am more honest with myself and that I listened to myself and had the courage to admit I was wrong.

Then welcome aboard and hold onto your hat. :cheers:

Why? Is there a storm brewing?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think you meant "rational" here, yeah? I don't see being logical as quite so mutually exclusive with happiness as it is rationality. I can quite happily come to a logical conclusion, while I'd have a difficult time happily coming to a rational one.

smiley-taunt003.gif

Either, to my mind, though rational is the clearer of the two for my point. So thanks. :D

Dr.Watson

Just a note regarding some of the notes on this new posters opening statement:

RE: Atheism, logically.

Being skeptical doesn't constrain one to be forever doubting and never accepting. That said, let me also say that skepticism is always a more logical approach than credulity (although it is certainly not favored by our more baser instincts). By the very fact that a religious person is unwilling to view their own religious beliefs through a skeptical lens (although they are only more than happy to oblige using a skeptical filter for other peoples religious beliefs), it stands to reason that an atheistic (the simple withholding of a belief on god) approach is more logical.

Believing in god because it makes you feel good/happier, is not logical. And pointing this out as a matter of fact is not insulting.

Spectrox War

I'm not seeing how believing in something you haven't seen is illogical or irrational.

These days I need good evidence before I believe any claim.

Like most things it's in how you apply it.

Maybe? It depends what the nature of the faith is though? And the validity of that faith can only IMO be determined by evidence and reasoned argument. Otherwise, to me, it's just random and meaningless.

I submit that you felt it not worth holding onto because you didn't come by it rationally.

I came by my faith emotionally - and the words of the Bible and Christians around me resonated with me at that time.

Lon

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.
Welcome.

I liken this to marriage. Some people think they are married because they are practicing all the things a married couple does. Most agnostics and atheists get mad at this point and scream "No-True-Scotsman!!"

However, it comes from my own experience and understanding that this is the case.
1) Because I couldn't lose my faith. It would be like denying I was ever married. Of course this leads back to 'thinking' and/or 'knowing' I'm married. Even if you don't see the equating this way, recognize it is exactly how I see it and would be hard-pressed to change my mind/perception over the matter.
2) Because scripture talks about this in the same light. 1 John 2 says if one leaves the faith (loses it), he/she never had it (thus cannot lose what is not possessed). It is my estimation that I am a Christian not so much because I think I have a hold of Christ, but because I know He has a hold of me.

Welcome again to the forum

-Lon

heir

TOL Subscriber
Hi, SW. I'm sorry to hear that. Just what is it that you believed that you no longer believe? Was there ever a time that you put your trust in the faith OF Jesus Christ? After all, it is His faith that justifies.

Galatians 2:16 KJV Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

dreadknought

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.
Well, welcome to TOL. I'm sorry that you've supposedly lost something that you didn't love. :plain:

Spectrox War

Welcome to TOL, Spectrox War!

Perhaps your prior faith was set on an unstable foundation.
No...not perhaps.

Why so? I believed Jesus was my saviour. I read the Bible everyday. I went to a Baptist church. I felt filled with something. It's so long ago, I can't remember all details. But something very weird happened to me.