Grandma living in Miami treehouse for 24 years in showdown with county

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
you didnt even read your own story did you acw...

I could post hundreds of articles showing where faulty construction, wiring, etc. caused the death of innocent children and others.

BTW, have you gotten around to finding some sort of evidence showing that building codes aren't required unless the said property is up for sale?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I could post hundreds of articles showing where faulty construction, wiring, etc. caused the death of innocent children and others.

BTW, have you gotten around to finding some sort of evidence showing that building codes aren't required unless the said property is up for sale?
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/how-to-sell-house-thats-not-up-to-code.aspx

Oh and a reminder of what i said initially to you, since you twisted it earlier:

I am guessing at this point, you are unaware that one can purchase homes defined as "as is" that dont meet current building codes in our fine country - and if a person hosts a person in an unsafe home and their guest is injured, they still have the ability to sue the owner, no?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/how-to-sell-house-thats-not-up-to-code.aspx

Oh and a reminder of what i said initially to you, since you twisted it earlier:

Originally Posted by Angel4Truth

I am guessing at this point, you are unaware that one can purchase homes defined as "as is" that dont meet current building codes in our fine country - and if a person hosts a person in an unsafe home and their guest is injured, they still have the ability to sue the owner, no?

I appears that you twisted your own link to meet your property anarchist ideology:

Q: Dear Real Estate Adviser,
My mother-in-law in Southern California got a visit from code officials for letting her son live in her backyard trailer. At that time, they also informed her that half of her 900-square-foot home -- her kitchen/bathroom addition -- wasn't on blueprints and is unpermitted. Can she legally sell without bringing it to code or paying added fees or fines? The house is in nearly condemnable condition but is located on a double lot. Can she sell the land, stipulating that a buyer demolish the house?
-- Kris C.

A: Dear Kris,
Yes, she can legally sell the property "as is." And from the looks of things, the sooner this happens, the better. Fortunately for your mother-in-law, such value-add opportunities are in demand in much of lot-constrained Southern California where there's no shortage of investors and redevelopers seeking out such properties.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/rea...house-thats-not-up-to-code.aspx#ixzz4JuJ9qj6m
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

I didn't see anywhere in the article where the buyer can move into the nearly condemnable property without first adhering to local building codes.

Perhaps I missed it, can you copy and paste it for me please?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Angel4Truth

I appears that you twisted your own link to meet your property anarchist ideology:

Q: Dear Real Estate Adviser,
My mother-in-law in Southern California got a visit from code officials for letting her son live in her backyard trailer. At that time, they also informed her that half of her 900-square-foot home -- her kitchen/bathroom addition -- wasn't on blueprints and is unpermitted. Can she legally sell without bringing it to code or paying added fees or fines? The house is in nearly condemnable condition but is located on a double lot. Can she sell the land, stipulating that a buyer demolish the house?
-- Kris C.

A: Dear Kris,
Yes, she can legally sell the property "as is." And from the looks of things, the sooner this happens, the better. Fortunately for your mother-in-law, such value-add opportunities are in demand in much of lot-constrained Southern California where there's no shortage of investors and redevelopers seeking out such properties.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/rea...house-thats-not-up-to-code.aspx#ixzz4JuJ9qj6m
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

I didn't see anywhere in the article where the buyer can move into the nearly condemnable property without first adhering to local building codes.

Perhaps I missed it, can you copy and paste it for me please?

Where did i say anyone could move into them? I said they could BUY them, which they can, and i proved. I said even earlier in the thread that if they were to be used, by a new owner, they would need to be brought to code (ie when its sold) see my post again:

I agree, if its on her land, she should be able to live in a shack she built on it imo. I think safety laws for the homes there should come into play if and when she decides to sell it to someone else, not for her own use on her own land.

Wow, you cant read, huh.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where did i say anyone could move into them? I said they could BUY them, which they can, and i proved. I said even earlier in the thread that if they were to be used, by a new owner, they would need to be brought to code (ie when its sold) see my post again: ..

The basis of this thread is inhabited dwellings and whether or not it is required for those dwellings to meet the safety and fire codes of the respective city or county that dwelling is in.

Miami-Dade County told granny that her inhabited tree house didn't meet fire and safety codes that other residents of Miami-Dade County are required to adhere to.

If there is something that makes a treehouse immune to safety and fire regulations (being that it is made of wood and it's perched in a wooden tree, I would even be more concerned about enforcing fire code) then please make your case.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The basis of this thread is inhabited dwellings and whether or not it is required for those dwellings to meet the safety and fire codes of the respective city or county that dwelling is in.

Miami-Dade County told granny that her inhabited tree house didn't meet fire and safety codes that other residents of Miami-Dade County are required to adhere to.

If there is something that makes a treehouse immune to safety and fire regulations (being that it is made of wood and it's perched in a wooden tree, I would even be more concerned about enforcing fire code) then please make your case.

My case is as it has been - she should be able to live in a shack if she so desires on her own property, but needs to bring it to code to sell it for someone elses use.