Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Took granddaughter to see The Jungle Book.

The animation was impressive.
I'm not sure what you call it ----- when everything looks real with a slight animation.

Really enjoyed it.

As a kid, my favorite cartoon movie was The Jungle Book (1967).

musterion

Has anyone else here seen this?

I have a question on one of the scenes.

Where Lois Lane is in the grasp of the bad guy with a weapon.
Superman is standing a few feet in front of them just starring at him.

Suddenly the bad guy flies backward crashing through the wall behind him.

Did Super Man do that with his mind, or did he rush the guy and throw him through the wall so fast that you didn't see him move?
I couldn't tell, and since we watched it in a theater, I couldn't rewind to watch it again.

Went to see it, just to see if it could be as epically bad as some comic fans I know were saying. It is.

That scene -- looked to me like Supes super-speed flew the guy through the wall, just after she let go of the guy's arm to signal she was ready for Supes to make his move.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jack had to see the Captain America Civil War (though I did my best to talk him into Jungle Book) and I thought it was entertaining. Jack wasn't as impressed until the airport fight. He's still talking about Ant-Man. :chuckle:

Anyone else about ready for the whole comic book movie trend to wind down a little? :poly:

Lon

Jack had to see the Captain America Civil War (though I did my best to talk him into Jungle Book) and I thought it was entertaining. Jack wasn't as impressed until the airport fight. He's still talking about Ant-Man. :chuckle:

Anyone else about ready for the whole comic book movie trend to wind down a little? :poly:
With a young emerging super hero??? You have a Loooooooong road ahead my friend!

PureX

Saw "Begin Again" on Netflix the other day. Good flick. Even Adam Levine's minor role was OK.

Watched "The Keeping Room" as well. It kind of stretches out a simple theme, but was well worth watching.

"Ashby" was pretty formulaic, blending a couple of themes that have been done to death. But there was some good dialogic banter in it, and Mickey Rourke is always a trip!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: My ten favorite westerns

1. The Searchers
2. Shane
3. Tombstone
4. The Big Country
5. Open Range
6. Red River
7. Once Upon a Time in the West
8. The Magnificent Seven
9. High Noon
10. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Hon. Men.: The Ox-Bow Incident, Unforgiven, The Outlaw Jose Wales, Little Big Man

Danoh

Has anyone else here seen this?

I have a question on one of the scenes.

Where Lois Lane is in the grasp of the bad guy with a weapon.
Superman is standing a few feet in front of them just starring at him.

Suddenly the bad guy flies backward crashing through the wall behind him.

Did Super Man do that with his mind, or did he rush the guy and throw him through the wall so fast that you didn't see him move?
I couldn't tell, and since we watched it in a theater, I couldn't rewind to watch it again.

It appears he did it with what is referred to in martial arts as chi, or life force.

In the scene (just past 14 minutes into the movie), he nods at her; she knows "my boyfriend's back and you're gonna be sorry," lol, releases her grip on the villain's arm; Superman nods again and the guy goes flying.

Normally, when we nod our head, or move our arm, and so on, we generate air waves.

But this is Superman. With just that slight nod, he is able to both generate and direct an airwave powerful enough to send the guy not only backwards, but through a solid wall.

Coolest Superhero of them all.

Danoh

Went to see it, just to see if it could be as epically bad as some comic fans I know were saying. It is.

That scene -- looked to me like Supes super-speed flew the guy through the wall, just after she let go of the guy's arm to signal she was ready for Supes to make his move.

"The Man of Steel" is the way better movie of the two. Way better than "Batman v Superman."

Same actor in both.

The perfect Superman, in my book.

And they go into what his planet of origin had been like - that right there could have been expanded into a great movie in itself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm wondering if Independence Day will need its own thread with spoilers. I'm going to see it and it I expect it to be just as political as the first, and just as entertaining. Although if there is a "confused" tranny, it could ruin everything.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm wondering if Independence Day will need its own thread with spoilers. I'm going to see it and it to be just as political as the first, and just as entertaining. Although if there is a "confused" tranny, it could ruin everything.
They didn't allow an American critical screening, which can be a bad omen, but the screening across the pond had them calling it a good popcorn yarn, in essence. Saw a snippet of it on an Ultra HD screen at about 65 and it looked great. Had most of the original cast and it would be difficult to write it worse than the first one, so there's reason to hope.

PureX

Does anyone have a good Drive-In Movie place near them? I love Drive-Ins, I miss them here
They're all gone here, too. Consigned to history and my own fading memories.

I saw "A Clockwork Orange" at a drive-in, back when it first came out. The original "Billy Jack" movie, too. And lots otherwise forgettable flicks.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
They're all gone here, too. Consigned to history and my own fading memories.

I saw "A Clockwork Orange" at a drive-in, back when it first came out. The original "Billy Jack" movie, too. And lots otherwise forgettable flicks.
I googled it for the st. Louis area and there is an "old school" Drive-In about 40 miles from me in Belleville Illinois. It's called SkyView, I may check it out this summer, they play current movies

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Does anyone have a good Drive-In Movie place near them? I love Drive-Ins, I miss them here
There are a few in Alabama, but none close enough to drive to that would make sense. For years there was one on the way to Gulf Shores, but it's long since closed and there was another in Pensacola, the Palafox, but it met the same fate. I hear they're gaining popularity again. I can understand it on the west coast, where climate could make the experience pleasant, but around here you'd need either necessity OR a mostly fall to winter showing schedule and how would that work?

PureX

The only movie I remember walking out of before it was over was Tommy (the pinball wizard) 1975.
I hated it.
Too stupid and too noisy.
:)

I hate to counter the counter-culture's idols, but I thought that movie (Tommy), AND the album, SUCKED!