Forgiving Others

Freak

Originally posted by Melody

You don't get it yet. There is a difference between forgiving someone for a personal offense and some being forgiven for their sins.

We don't have that ability. It is not in our sphere of influence. God makes the rules not us, and he says that if you don't forgive others he won't forgive you.

Just because you forgive someone does not mean that their sins are forgiven. Those remain between them and God.
Just perhaps Knight will understand this simple Biblical concept, just maybe.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

You don't get it yet. There is a difference between forgiving someone for a personal offense and some being forgiven for their sins.
Good point that's why Jesus made it so crystal clear.....

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3

Care to comment on that?

We don't have that ability. It is not in our sphere of influence. God makes the rules not us, and he says that if you don't forgive others he won't forgive you.

Just because you forgive someone does not mean that their sins are forgiven. Those remain between them and God.
That is only stating the obvious. No one here (that I am aware of) is claiming that we have the ability to forgive sins the way God does so your point is irrelevant and off topic.

Please comment on Luke 17:3.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Freak

If you love those who love you (the repentant), what reward will you get? Are not even the tex collectors doing that?
It is loving to tell the lost that they need to repent. It is not loving to pretend they are forgiven regardless of whether they repent.

Come on, Freak! You're starting to sound like smaller.

Last edited:

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

Maybe judges should sentence murderers to attend Bible studies at their local church.
What did Jesus do with Paul, the murderer? Did it work?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak

He loves everyone...
I didn't ask if God "loved" EVERYONE did I? I asked if God FORGIVES EVERYONE (even the unrepentant) unconditionally.

Well does He?

Please answer the question.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Let me try this one more time....

Let me try this one more time....

Freak... does God forgive EVERYONE (even the unrepentant) unconditionally?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” - Matthew 4:17

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Melody..... what did Jesus mean when He said....?

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3

Melody

Originally posted by Turbo

It is loving to tell the lost that they need to repent. It is not loving to pretend they are forgiven regardless of whether they repent.

Come on, Freak! You're starting to sound like smaller.

And it is unforgiving spirits like yours that make me start to understand smaller.

Melody

When David sinned did he ask forgiveness of those that he injured, or of God?

Was he forgiven or not?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

And it is unforgiving spirits like yours that make me start to understand smaller.
We aren't unforgiving!

I always forgive the repentant.

Now....

PureX

Originally posted by Knight

No comment on Luke 17:3 eh? :rolleyes:
I don't take the bible as the literal or inerrant word of God, so I don't have a problem with the fact that these quotes contradict themselves. I would say that this is only natural considering the many authors and translations involved. When I read the bible I'm able to take this into account, and trust that God's spirit within me will help me to see through the contradictions to the truth. And if I'm wrong, I can accept this as just a part of being human and change and keep moving on. I don't have to have some magical static rock of righteousness to guide my life. I don't have to be right all the time. After all, I am forgiven even if I'm wrong. *smile*

I think that quote in Luke 17 is wrong. I think God's love and forgiveness are unconditional and are ours regardless of whether we "repent" or not. Now, we can still refuse to recognize that love, and we can still be miserable by this choice. But that's our own doing, not God's.

SOTK

Anecdotal evidence is interesting, I have some myself!

And I can tell you that my anecdotal evidence is very different from yours.

That's why "The battle of the anecdotal evidence" is futile.

But I do appreciate your input.

I would also go so far as to say I have often forgiven without repentance, especially when the nature of the sin against me is very minor.

But what about when the sin is monumental?

Should we really forgive the unrepentant molester of our children? Is that healthy for us? For our children? And for the molester himself? Isn't the goal to adhere to God's will? God is looking for repentance why should we work against God's will?

Sorry Knight. I don't really care what you have to say on this one. I have learned to forgive so that I don't drink. That works for me, and I will stick with it!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by SOTK4ever

Sorry Knight. I don't really care what you have to say on this one. I have learned to forgive so that I don't drink. That works for me, and I will stick with it!
OK, if that's what you want to do... but for me..... I will stick with Jesus!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

When David sinned did he ask forgiveness of those that he injured, or of God?

Was he forgiven or not?
The man he injured was dead!

Melody

We aren't unforgiving!

I always forgive the repentant.

Now....

Of Course we should forgive someone that asks our forgiveness.

But our forgiveness should not depend on their repentance. Because our own forgiveness depends on us forgiving others.

There is not one scripture stating that our forgiveness of others depends on their requesting it.

Luk 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and [to] the evil.
Luk 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Luk 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

You are putting a stipulation on Your forgiveness that puts you in a very precarious position. For if you are wrong you are living in dangerous territory.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is not one scripture stating that our forgiveness of others depends on their requesting it.
Not one?

Please comment on Luke 17:3.

At least PureX did!