Forgiving Others

PureX

Originally posted by Knight

Did you read this....?

Think of it this way....
The boss at Taco bell explains to the employees how to make a taco. Later he tells them to make tacos when the orders are coming in. The boss doesn't need to re-explain making a taco every time he asks his employees to make a taco.
Yeah, I read it. Sorry, but your analogy won't fly. "...if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them" is not a qualified statement. There is no implication, here, that any previous requirement about repentance applies. In fact, the words "anything" and "anyone" both imply that there are no conditions or qualifications. Both words specifically mean ALL instances of perceived slight. You just don't want to admit that these statements are contradicting each other.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak
Do you now see that God blesses pagans?
He has also cursed their ungodly lifestyles and eventually sends them to hell if they don't............

......don't do.......

......don't do what?????

What is it the pagan must do to get forgiveness of sin?

Please answer me that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by PureX

Yeah, I read it. Sorry, but your analogy won't fly. "...if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them" is not a qualified statement. There is no implication, here, that any previous requirement about repentance applies. In fact, the words "anything" and "anyone" both imply that there are no conditions or qualifications. Both words specifically mean ALL instances of perceived slight. You just don't want to admit that these statements are contradicting each other.
You shouldn't hold anything against anyone that you shouldn't be holding.

Plain and simple.

Jesus has already explained as did God Himself through the entire message of the Bible that repentance is required for forgiveness.

He doesn't need to state it over and over each and everytime the detailed process of what He has already made so crystal clear.

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3

Please comment on Jesus clear teaching in Luke 17:3 PureX.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Yorzhik

Knight: right-on brother!

P.S. this might be an all-time-great thread
Thanks!

Isn't wacky how liberalized modern day Christianity is?

Not one of these "super forgivers" will touch or comment on Luke 17:3 yet it is the most clear statement on the issue in the entire Bible!

PureX

Originally posted by Knight You shouldn't hold anything against anyone that you shouldn't be holding.

Plain and simple.
You should have been Bill Clinton's lawyer. *smile*
Originally posted by Knight Jesus has already explained as did God Himself through the entire message of the Bible that repentance is required for forgiveness.
A whole lot of people who have read the bible cover to cover many times will disagree with you about that. But then that just goes to show that much of what the bible authors wrote contradicts itself, and people are going to interpret the text to mean what they want it to mean, anyway.

This is why we should not be treating the bible as if it were absolute.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by PureX
A whole lot of people who have read the bible cover to cover many times will disagree with you about that.
Well then... a whole lot of people are wrong.

Anyone who reads the Bible and doesn't get that repentance doesn't play a part in forgiveness of sins would be just plain ignorant.

“It may be that the house of Judah will hear all the adversities which I purpose to bring upon them, that everyone may turn from his evil way, that I may forgive their iniquity and their sin.” - Jeremiah 36:3

“But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” - Matthew 9:13

Freak

Uh... that wasn't anecdotal evidence.

I suggest you get a dictionary. They come in very handy sometimes.
dictionary.com defines anecdotal as...

Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.

Your "taco bell" story was based on your casual observation.

Simply laughable, Knight. :down:

Freak

He has also cursed their ungodly lifestyles and eventually sends them to hell if they don't............

......don't do.......

......don't do what?????

What is it the pagan must do to get forgiveness of sin?

Please answer me that.
But you do acknowledge that God blesses the pagan, right? And this without repentance, imagine that.

Freak

We now know that Freak thinks that God wants us to forgive unconditionally with or without repentance.
No kidding bright eyes.

God's Word teaches we ought to have a forgiving attitude and not to harbor unforgiveness...

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

What on odd theology.
Odd? Yes!!! Your theology is odd! I don't believe we should harbor unforgiveness but rather we should forgive.

So tell me Freak if Jesus really wants us to forgive WITHOUT repentance why doesn't He follow His own example?

...for salvation God requires repentance but for our dealings with people on a daily basis Jesus tells us to be forgiving...

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

Is the government unrighteous for punishing criminals?
No. Silly boy.

According to Freak the government would only be righteous if they forgave all sins and crimes.
No. I believe the gospel is a more powerful tool then the death penalty. See 1 Cor. 6 for an example. Imagine that.

So tell us Freak.....
Why doesn't God forgive unconditionally? Why doesn't Jesus forgive unconditionally?
God does love us unconditionally. :kookoo:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

dictionary.com defines anecdotal as...

Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.

Your "taco bell" story was based on your casual observation.

Simply laughable, Knight. :down:
LOL... my Taco Bell story wasn't an observation!

Seriously Freak why do you have such a hard time with such simple concepts?

My taco bell story was what we like to call a.... "analogy".

A resemblance of relations; an agreement or likeness between things in some circumstances or effects, when the things are otherwise entirely different. Thus, learning enlightens the mind, because it is to the mind what light is to the eye, enabling it to discover things before hidden.

So Freak.... tell us why doesn't Jesus forgive EVERYONE without their repentance?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Ok... so here we are at our 100th post on this most interesting thread and what do we know? We now know that Freak thinks that God wants us to forgive unconditionally with or without repentance.

What on odd theology.

So tell me Freak if Jesus really wants us to forgive WITHOUT repentance why doesn't He follow His own example?

Why did He only forgive the repentant thief on the cross? Why didn't He forgive the other guy as well?

Moreover why doesn't He forgive EVERYONE???

Why is anyone in hell?

Shouldn't EVERYONE be forgiven?

Why did John the Baptist cry for repentance? Why didn't he just yell through the streets "all are already forgiven!!!"

Is the government unrighteous for punishing criminals? According to Freak the government would only be righteous if they forgave all sins and crimes. You are forgiven Mr. child molester and have a great day! :rolleyes:

So tell us Freak.....
Why doesn't God forgive unconditionally? Why doesn't Jesus forgive unconditionally?
Great point, Knight. :BRAVO:

Freak

LOL... my Taco Bell story wasn't an observation!
Ha!Of course it is. Silly boy. You had to have a reference point for your story and you used what you have observed from your experience with "taco hell."

:kookoo:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No. I believe the gospel is a more powerful tool then the death penalty. See 1 Cor. 6 for an example. Imagine that.
Maybe judges should sentence murderers to attend Bible studies at their local church.

Melody

You don't get it yet. There is a difference between forgiving someone for a personal offense and some being forgiven for their sins.

We don't have that ability. It is not in our sphere of influence. God makes the rules not us, and he says that if you don't forgive others he won't forgive you.

Just because you forgive someone does not mean that their sins are forgiven. Those remain between them and God.

Freak

EVERYONE????

Or... just the repentant???

Please answer.
He loves everyone...

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son...

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[8] and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that..

Homework for Knight...

If you love those who love you (the repentant), what reward will you get? Are not even the tex collectors doing that?