England: smokers and the obese to be barred from receiving routine surgery

gcthomas

Assuming those figures are true, we're still better off with our system, thanks.

You are welcome to it.

I get the universal safety net, comprehensive emergency and other treatment and GP services for free, and with a minimal top-up insurance I can get the luxuries and convenience of health insurance. All for far less than you are paying for a system that overcharges for huge compaby profits and still has huge gaps in coverage.

And the GOP wants to shrink the state stuff to ⅓ of the size it is now — I'm sure that that eugenics programme will go just fine if Trump can get any laws passed, ever.

gcthomas

Thanks.

Now go learn your times tables, imbecile.

You can't simply compare percentages of different base quantities, stupid wazzock. Didn't you cover that in high school Maths?

Since US PPP GDP per capita is about 45% greater than the UK's:

UK: 8% of $36,000 is $2880
US: 15% of $52,000 is $7800

$7800 is nearly three times bigger than $2880, not your naïve 15/8 = 1.875 times.​

(Let me know next time you want a Maths lesson — I usually charge £30 per hour to students for remedial work, a good rate!)

rexlunae

IF this was truly over concern for the health and well-being of Americans, trump and his merry band of fumblers would have worked to IMPROVE O-Care, not tear it down.

My greatest hope for the current political climate is that Republicans will reach some sort of a breaking point and decide to invest in making the system we have better, rather than dishonest pandering and unworkable ideology.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My greatest hope for the current political climate is that Republicans will reach some sort of a breaking point and decide to invest in making the system we have better, rather than dishonest pandering and unworkable ideology.

Exactly ...

gcthomas

From what I saw in the news, Trumps repeal bill substantially failed because some Republican Senators had pushed Obamacare to their populations and couldn't pull it without voter upset.

rexlunae

From what I saw in the news, Trumps repeal bill substantially failed because some Republican Senators had pushed Obamacare to their populations and couldn't pull it without voter upset.

I wouldn't characterize it that way. It was a moment of sanity from a few members of an insane party. And a tactical one, I think. The last seven years, the Republican brand has been built on "repeal and replace", and they've won a lot of elections on that rhetoric. And there are good reason to hate Obamacare as it stands. But it was progress, and most of the reasons Obamacare is bad result from it being too modest rather than too aggressive. So, a few Republicans looked at the numbers of what they were about to do, and declined. And I suspect that more would have if these three hadn't. It was a moment of sanity, but there needs to be a moment of reconning and honestly where the party admits to it's voters that "repeal and replace" can't happen. They had just enough people vote against it to stop it, because it would hurt just about anyone who did with their voter base.

Arthur Brain

You can't simply compare percentages of different base quantities, stupid wazzock. Didn't you cover that in high school Maths?

Since US PPP GDP per capita is about 45% greater than the UK's:

UK: 8% of $36,000 is $2880
US: 15% of $52,000 is $7800

$7800 is nearly three times bigger than $2880, not your naïve 15/8 = 1.875 times.​

(Let me know next time you want a Maths lesson — I usually charge £30 per hour to students for remedial work, a good rate!)

£30 per hour? So what's that per minute, £2.74?

:think:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Well for one, it wasn't a healthcare law that they were proposing, but rather a tax cut for the rich. Around 22 million people would have eventually lost their healthcare ... which is actually what the GOP wants. The only reason they did the replacement is because Trump promised it.

Last edited: