England: smokers and the obese to be barred from receiving routine surgery

musterion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...mokers-banned-from-all-routine-operations-by/

The decision, described by the Royal College of Surgeons as the “most severe the modern NHS has ever seen”, led to warnings that other trusts will soon be forced to follow suit and rationing will become the norm if the current funding crisis continues.

Chris Hopson, the head of NHS Providers, which represents acute care, ambulance and community services, said: “I think we are going to see more and more decisions like this.

“It’s the only way providers are going to be able to balance their books, and in a way you have to applaud their honesty. You can see why they’re doing this – the service is bursting at the seams.”

Cost/benefit ratios applied to humans already tax-raped to pay for the care they're going to be denied.

Single payer = single decider.

musterion

Is that fat-shaming?

I don't think so; I didn't see where they said "Lose weight or you don't get your hip replaced." They decided to cut two statistical bad risk groups and that's that.

Smokers, statistically, won't live long enough to pay as much in taxes as non-smokers.

The obese, same.

Charlie Gard, same.

Eventually, old people. Mentally retarded. And the list will grow of groups who the gov't decides statistically consume more than they produce.

Watch the scene where Sol Roth "goes home" from Soylent Green. It's coming.

glassjester

I don't think so; I didn't see where they said "Lose weight or you don't get your hip replaced." They decided to cut two statistical bad risk groups and that's that.

Yeah, I think it said in the article they could get whatever surgery they were waiting for if they lose 10% of their body weight.

Smokers, statistically, won't live long enough to pay as much in taxes as non-smokers.

The obese, same.

Charlie Gard, same.

Eventually, old people. Mentally retarded. And the list will grow of groups who the gov't decides statistically consume more than they produce.

I think you're right.

Watch the scene where Sol Roth "goes home" from Soylent Green. It's coming.

Yes, I am often reminded of that specific scene when reading the news. I think you're right again.

musterion

Yeah, I think it said in the article they could get whatever surgery they were waiting for if they lose 10% of their body weight.

Thanks, I missed that. The statistical cost/benefit thinking is still driving it, though.

My favorite color is orange, I guess.

kiwimacahau

This is what happens to publicly funded health after 40 years of neoliberal economics. Time to change the paradigm.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

rexlunae

musterion

Is it morally superior to deny a person care based upon whether their credit card gets declined versus denying a person care based upon their health and the likelihood of the intervention helping them long-term.

It has been federal law for a long time that no emergency room can deny service because someone who shows up can't pay. It's plainly stated on a big poster somewhere in every ER.

rexlunae

It has been federal law for a long time that no emergency room can deny service because someone who shows up can't pay. It's plainly stated on a big poster somewhere in every ER.

All that that means is that someone showing up at an emergency room must be stabilized. It provides no guarantee that they will receive even necessary treatment beyond that. You come in with treatable cancer, and no imminent threat to your life, and you can and will be discharged after an evaluation. Some hospitals may choose not to do that, but there is no legal protection against it.

https://law.freeadvice.com/malpractice_law/hospital_malpractice/hospital-patients.htm

musterion

All that that means is that someone showing up at an emergency room must be stabilized. It provides no guarantee that they will receive even necessary treatment beyond that. You come in with treatable cancer, and no imminent threat to your life, and you can and will be discharged after an evaluation. Some hospitals may choose not to do that, but there is no legal protection against it.

https://law.freeadvice.com/malpractice_law/hospital_malpractice/hospital-patients.htm

Well it's not a problem now, is it.