Dozer's Fixation on Rape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzal

Alright, alright, let's just call a quick timeout. Since this topic is already pretty derailed. Doser, I am willing to give this slate a clean sweep. Start over, from the beginning and see what happens. (Not on this topic, though. I am burned out on it. :smack:) What'ya say?

glorydaz

Used to be a time when black people sat in the back of the bus. Things change.

Yep, things change and not always for the better.

There used to be a time when everyone was responsible for their own behavior. People understood that bad behavior could have bad results for which that person had some fault.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm looking from the other side, and I don't see it.
I know.
And it is because of that that I would not want you as a consoler if I were raped.
The last thing I would want to hear is, "Well, what were YOU wearing?".

Anything else we could probably be hand in hand with.
But not this.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I know.
And it is because of that that I would not want you as a consoler if I were raped.

But not this.

Joe is planning to go down to the Ferguson protests dressed in klan robes and a hood, carrying a sign that says "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot!" and shout racial slurs at the protesters.

Joe tells his plans to his friend Frank.

Frank says "Don't do it - you'll get your butt kicked, severely."

Joe says "You're not the boss of me - I'll do what I want!"

Joe goes down to the Ferguson protests dressed in klan robes and a hood, carrying a sign that says "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot!" and shouts racial slurs at the protesters.

Joe gets his butt kicked, severely.

Those who assault Joe are arrested and charged.

Frank comes to visit Joe in the hospital.

Joe whines about how unfair it was that he got his butt kicked, severely.

Frank says "What are you talking about? You deserved to get your butt kicked. I told you not to go down there. You chose to get your butt kicked. Next time don't be such a moron."

Should Frank have been more consoling to Joe?

ClimateSanity

Joe is planning to go down to the Ferguson protests dressed in klan robes and a hood, carrying a sign that says "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot!" and shout racial slurs at the protesters.

Joe goes down to the Ferguson protests dressed in klan robes and a hood, carrying a sign that says "Michael Brown Deserved To Be Shot!" and shouts racial slurs at the protesters.

Frank says "What are you talking about? You deserved to get your butt kicked. I told you not to go down there. You chose to get your butt kicked. Next time don't be such a moron."

Should Frank have been more consoling to Joe?

Frank is a sociopath on the way to being a serial killer.

ok doser

what amazes me about this is that if we weren't in a the middle of a discussion about rape - if we were in the middle of a discussion about ferguson, for example - nobody would have any problem answering the question

Quetzal

what amazes me about this is that if we weren't in a the middle of a discussion about rape - if we were in the middle of a discussion about ferguson, for example - nobody would have any problem answering the question
I think it may be an exhausted topic.

glorydaz

I know.

But not this.

No, honey. I would have all the empathy in the world for you if you were raped. I would have all the empathy in the world for my own daughter if she was raped. I would listen to what you both said about the rape. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions....assuming either of you was doing anything that might have contributed to what happened. I wouldn't expect it from either of you knowing you as I do.

But, if my daughter told me she was stripping at a frat party when she got raped, I would also tell her she was raised to know that was wrong, and I would counsel her to never put herself in that position again. I would also be confident she would have learned a valuable lesson, and would be thankful she was only raped, and not murdered to boot. I raised all my kids to accept responsibility for their own actions. They have done so.

I'm also quite sure you raised your kids the same way. Don't forget, I listened well to what your son said about the kind of mother you were. :)

ok doser

But we are in a discussion about RAPE.

actually, we're in a discussion about taking responsibility for the consequences of your actions

you appear to be unwilling to consider that women bear any responsibility for the consequences of their actions, even in the most extreme scenarios like lap dancing and twerking and indiscriminately taking drugs

so I give you the scenario of Joe and Frank

and ask you if Joe should bear any responsibility for the consequences of his actions

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This whole deal reminds me of the studies I have done on the book of Job.
They dug their heels into Job trying to convince him that he must have been to blame for the bad things that happened to him.

ok doser

No, honey. I would have all the empathy in the world for you if you were raped. I would have all the empathy in the world for my own daughter if she was raped. I would listen to what you both said about the rape. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions....assuming either of you was doing anything that might have contributed to what happened. I wouldn't expect it from either of you knowing you as I do.

But, if my daughter told me she was stripping at a frat party when she got raped, I would also tell her she was raised to know that was wrong, and I would counsel her to never put herself in that position again. I would also be confident she would have learned a valuable lesson, and would be thankful she was only raped, and not murdered to boot. I raised all my kids to accept responsibility for their own actions. They have done so.

I'm also quite sure you raised your kids the same way. Don't forget, I listened well to what your son said about the kind of mother you were. :)

my son was mugged and his smart phone stolen

he was close to tears in the police station

i was consoling when he needed me to be consoling - he knew he had been careless and was beating himself up

afterwards, when he had calmed down and we were home, we had a discussion about how to avoid being a victim again

ok doser

This whole deal reminds me of the studies I have done on the book of Job.
They dug their heels into Job trying to convince him that he must have been to blame for the bad things that happened to him.

convince me that Joe wasn't to blame for what happened to him

i'm listening

Quetzal

my son was mugged and his smart phone stolen

he was close to tears in the police station

i was consoling when he needed me to be consoling - he knew he had been careless and was beating himself up

afterwards, when he had calmed down and we were home, we had a discussion about how to avoid being a victim again
How did that conversation go?

Status
Not open for further replies.