Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
No, I didn't get any sense that Lightfoot believed there were historical or theological errors and discripancies in Matthew and Luke, although he did write about the historical discrepancies he found in the Talmud that related to his examination of the Gospels.
I think it would have been better if he had used his critical observation to read the four gospels in parallel, the way scholars and historians do.

You can easily see that Luke and Matthew followed Mark's order of events yet fundamentally changed his gospel to advance their own inspired agenda.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
So, you don't take into account the inspiration of the Holy Spirit
in the writings of Scripture? Sounds as if you're promoting a
posture of doubt about the written word of God?
How is that? I myself believe in the "Holy Spirit." Maybe you are picking up that I conclude such a phrase is theological in nature and is just some all-too-human believer's attempt to attach a meaning to scripture.

But just because it is a human construct does not mean it is useless or erroneous.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It is irrelevant what you believe. It is in the scripture.
I have a problem.

You say it doesn't matter what you believe. I don't understand how this could ever be true--especially when it comes to our faith.

In fact, this website is filled with diverse beliefs--even though we all--I presume--read the same texts.

StanJ

I have a problem.

You say it doesn't matter what you believe. I don't understand how this could ever be true--especially when it comes to our faith.

In fact, this website is filled with diverse beliefs--even though we all--I presume--read the same texts.

THAT would be BR's point...God's written word states it clearly unless you read it eisegetically, in which case it is your problem, not God's.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a problem.

The intent is believe scripture.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
But beyond the topic of this thread (and I agree that specific belief in the Classic Trinity is certainly not the salvific "threshold"), it would be helpful to know your Theology Proper position overall in multiple discussions on TOL.

I'm a bit confused (and mildly put off) by your reluctance to "identify" yourself. It makes meaningful discussion or processing your comments all the more difficult.

At least you clearly and concisely defining deity would help, including both what it IS and what it IS NOT.

:)

Perhaps you ought to identify your "belief system" as well? I wonder
about your position?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
How is that? I myself believe in the "Holy Spirit." Maybe you are picking up that I conclude such a phrase is theological in nature and is just some all-too-human believer's attempt to attach a meaning to scripture.

But just because it is a human construct does not mean it is useless or erroneous.

It seems like you ought to try and articulate that sentence better?
Only, if you desire your fellow posters to understand what you're trying
to convey , of course?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Perhaps you ought to identify your "belief system" as well? I wonder
about your position?

I've done so many times, including a complete outlined Statement of Faith.

I'm a Uni-Hypostatic Multi-Phenomenal Trinitarian. (The "Classic" formulaic is a Multi-Hypostatic Uni-Phenomenal Trinity, though I know you'll never be able to comprehend the difference.)

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I've done so many times, including a complete outlined Statement of Faith.

I'm a Uni-Hypostatic Multi-Phenomenal Trinitarian. (The "Classic" formulaic is a Multi-Hypostatic Uni-Phenomenal Trinity, though I know you'll never be able to comprehend the difference.)

Well, if I don't, Google gives us ALL an even footing, does it not?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
THAT would be BR's point...God's written word states it clearly unless you read it eisegetically, in which case it is your problem, not God's.
"God's written word" is one thing. The billions and billions of different interpretations of that word is something else again.

It makes absolutely no common sense to claim that the Bible is God's word, since the many different translations and theologies found within it prove otherwise.

And if the Bible is God's inviolate and inerrant word, then that does not mean that human interpretation of that word is ALSO inerrant.

The sense of the sacred is always mediated through different and diverse individual cultures, time periods and human believers.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It seems like you ought to try and articulate that sentence better?
Only, if you desire your fellow posters to understand what you're trying
to convey , of course?
Our human interpretations are just that--interpretations.

And God is all infinite and immense. Thus, we are always fated to cherry-pick our way through his orchard. We cannot grasp the Whole. We are stuck with being finite and human.

Does that make more sense?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Our human interpretations are just that--interpretations.

And God is all infinite and immense. Thus, we are always fated to cherry-pick our way through his orchard. We cannot grasp the Whole. We are stuck with being finite and human.

Does that make more sense?

You're leaving out the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I always pray
for guidance and wisdom before reading and studying the written
word of God.