Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

genuineoriginal

Yes, because that is who God is. If you don't believe that way then you don't believe the God of the Bible of who our REAL God and Savior is.
Since the Trinity is not a Biblical doctrine, but is an extra-Biblical doctrine, it is possible to believe every word written in the Bible about God without believing in the Trinity.

True Christians are 100% Trinity believers.

You are probably right.

There are many "True Christians" who are going to be burned in the lake of fire who are 100% Trinity believers, and there are many believers in God that are not "True Christians" who will be welcomed into the kingdom of God with open arms despite not believing in the Trinity.

CherubRam

Yes, because that is who God is. If you don't believe that way then you don't believe the God of the Bible of who our REAL God and Savior is.

True Christians are 100% Trinity believers.

I think you are just playing dumb in order to get a reaction.

CherubRam

I do not know of any scholarship or commentator who agrees with your assertion. In fact they all seem to agree that John 7:39 is commentary from the author as it clearly appears to be:

You cannot just toss aside what you do not like and call it a later addition without anyone or anything to support your conclusion. Well, you can, but then I have no need to take you seriously if you are willing to do such a thing. :)

Yahwah our Holy Father is the Holy Spirit, He can commune with people at any time He wants. "Waiting" did not fulfill any prophecy. It is illogical. The comment does not agree with the Old Testament. Why do you think there are italics, foot notes, and brackets in study bibles?

daqq

Yahwah our Holy Father is the Holy Spirit, He can commune with people at any time He wants. "Waiting" did not fulfill any prophecy. It is illogical. The comment does not agree with the Old Testament. Why do you think there are italics, foot notes, and brackets in study bibles?

You apparently added more to what I have said and therefore did not receive the full import of what I have said. I did not say that pneuma is never Spirit. Neither did I say that pneuma is never entity. Neither did I say that the Son is not entity. Now I have given you several negative assertions and I will not be surprised if you misconstrue them also. :crackup:

:sheep:

achduke

That is not what the bible says. It says the Father will send the holy spirit.

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

John 16:13 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

CherubRam

That is not what the bible says. It says the Father will send the holy spirit.

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

John 16:13 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Believe what you want.

oatmeal

Everyone,

this thread is not about trnity, Please get back to topic.

And no one coming up to support your claim of "You have to believe in the trinity to be saved."

You cannot because it is not there. Jesus did not claim it, nor any of His disciples.

Good call.

StanJ

Since the Trinity is not a Biblical doctrine, but is an extra-Biblical doctrine, it is possible to believe every word written in the Bible about God without believing in the Trinity.
You are probably right.
There are many "True Christians" who are going to be burned in the lake of fire who are 100% Trinity believers, and there are many believers in God that are not "True Christians" who will be welcomed into the kingdom of God with open arms despite not believing in the Trinity.

The triune nature of God is indeed biblical. The word may not be there but the concept definitely is, just as the concepts of Omniscience, Omnipotence, and Omnipresence are there.

The issue is NOT what makes a real Christian, it is what a real Christians believes, and as such the Trinity is what a REAL Christians believes. Real Christians don't go to hell. Real Christians are the sheep that will be separated from the goats. Real Christians will NOT be surprised where they awaken when Jesus returns.

StanJ

Everyone,
this thread is not about trnity, Please get back to topic.
And no one coming up to support your claim of "You have to believe in the trinity to be saved."
You cannot because it is not there. Jesus did not claim it, nor any of His disciples.

I see your reading skills are as lacking as your language skills.

Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian? is the thread or OP title.

Obviously, it IS about the Trinity.

StanJ

There are many people who believe in the deity of Christ without believing in the Trinity.
There are many people that are accepted as Christians that are not saved but are condemned.

Yes, they are with the UPC and are also not Christians but a cult.
Yes, and that is also not the point.
True/Real Christians believe and accept the Triune nature of God because the scriptures teach it.

oatmeal

Reading comprehension not a strong suit my friend?

8But unto the Son (Jesus) he (God the Father) saith, Thy (Jesus) throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy(Jesus) kingdom.

Hebrews 1:8 is truth

I have no problem with reading Hebrews or any book of the Bible, but have you read?

Exodus 7:1 KJV

And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

the Lord made Moses a god to Pharaoh.

Moses is god.

John 10:34-35

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Is Jesus Christ speaking the truth?

God called many people god, those unto whom the word of God came.

Unto how many people did the word of God come? It came to the prophets who delivered it to the children of Israel. That could amount to millions.

It is you that needs to read more, there are not a few verses that demonstrate that God calls humans gods.

Why do you not take those into account?

Trinitarianism is but another denomination like Baptists, Roman Catholicism, Pentecostalism, etc.....

God does not require that anyone belong to any denomination to become saved

oatmeal

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty...And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.

“Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.

And just for good measure;

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Nice try!

but her question is quite clear, and you did not answer it.

Am I pointing that out?

I am!

Am I being clear enough?

I am!

Am I named oatmeal?

I am!

Are you Nick M?

StanJ

Hebrews 1:8 is truth
I have no problem with reading Hebrews or any book of the Bible, but have you read?

and yet you ignore and refuse to address them and counter with others you takes OUT of context or equivocate on. I'd say you have a lot of trouble reading scripture with proper hermeneutical understanding.

Matt 10:33 (NIV)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The nitty gritty......

The nitty gritty......

Slice it, dice it any way you want.

Since the 'Trinity' was only more formally defined, articulated and made 'orthodox' by later church councils, and may not truly reflect the belief of the earliest followers and apostles of Jesus, then the answer is 'NO', since such a claimed 'qualification' to be a so called 'christian' was formulated or 'assumed' later as the doctrine become more acceptable as church creed, encoded by the powers that be (church-state).

Now as to a believer in Jesus learning more about a 'Trinity' concept of an eternal 'Godhead' and Jesus relationship to it (assumed in various fashions depending upon school of thought...pick your school), that is fine as one grows in religious knowledge, concepts and ideals. One may adopt a Trinitarian or more Unitarian Christology,..but can just as well be a true devotee of the principles and teachings of Jesus, regarding his person, and living out the religion HE LIVED as our exemplar. That is what makes one a true 'christian' (if we must use the 'term' so glibly paraded)....as to what quality of character and spiritual fruit one bears in his life. That's the standard,...NOT just an assumed intellectual acceptance of a 'trinity-concept' of 'God' or some other creed or dogma worshipped as being 'orthodox'. Lets be sure to recognize what is essential as far as 'true religion' is concerned. - all else are but words.

pj