Did cells arise naturally?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm interested in hearing arguments and opinions regarding whether cells arose naturally or not. Any takers?

Ohnos

BANNED
Banned
Can you define the terms more specifically? Do you want to debate between God-guided evolution and creationism, or are you asking for a logical means to come from random molecules to a cell?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ohnos said:
Can you define the terms more specifically? Do you want to debate between God-guided evolution and creationism, or are you asking for a logical means to come from random molecules to a cell?

I was interested in hearing whether you believe that cells arose naturally. If you do then why do you believe that they did?

For creationists, old Earth believers, theists, etc. why do you believe that cells didn't arise naturally?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
I can't say. My evolutionist beliefs hit a dead end where the fossil record stops.

Surely you must believe that they did. Am I right?

The Berean

bob b said:
I'm interested in hearing arguments and opinions regarding whether cells arose naturally or not. Any takers?
By "naturally" do mean without any direct or indirect intelligent input?

Paul Stan

I believe in God so I assume that cells didn't arise naturally even though the bible doesn't discuss this.

Also my textbook in biology shows some of the features about cells that make me believe that they are too complex to have arisen naturally.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ohnos said:

Most evolutionists would say that evolution doesn't include abiogenesis so perhaps God guided evolution is not an issue here.

And I'm not interested in a logical means unless someone has one to offer.

No, I'm merely interested in whether one believes that the cell arose by natural (materialistic) means and if so why you believe this to be the case. Similarily if one doesn't believe it was natural, then why do you believe this.

It goes without saying that if God was involved in any way then the cell didn't arise by strictly materialistic means.

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

BANNED
Banned
How ever they arose, it was naturally. Yet I am curious as to what an unnatural appearance would be. How would cells arise unnaturally?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dr. Hfuhruhurr said:
How ever they arose, it was naturally. Yet I am curious as to what an unnatural appearance would be. How would cells arise unnaturally?

Can I assume then that you believe that they arose naturally because you do not believe that they arose supernaturally (not naturally)? In other words, you have never seen any evidence for the supernatural so your working hypothesis is that the supernatural doesn't exist?

I don't wish to put words in your mouth though.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So Knight.

Do you believe that cells arose naturally, and if not why not?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
bob b said:
For creationists, old Earth believers, theists, etc. why do you believe that cells didn't arise naturally?

The reason I don't believe cells could arise naturally is because left handed amino acids won't "stick together" "naturally". The last research I read on the topic put the temperature these acids would stick together at an extremely cold temprature (if I recall, something like 300 degrees below zero).

Another reason I disbelieve a cell can arise naturally is because it takes chains of these acids in the right order to be useful.

Another reason is because life only uses about 20 of 300 of these amino acids.

And one last reason is because the environment needed to "create" one acid naturally can be detrimental to another acid.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
Wow, I never thought I'd hear you say that. :chuckle:

I'm beginning to think there is some reason why you don't want to answer my question.

Would you mind telling us why you believe that cells arose by natural means?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nineveh said:
The reason I don't believe cells could arise naturally is because left handed amino acids won't "stick together" "naturally". The last research I read on the topic put the temperature these acids would stick together at an extremely cold temprature (if I recall, something like 300 degrees below zero).

Another reason I disbelieve a cell can arise naturally is because it takes chains of these acids in the right order to be useful.

Another reason is because life only uses about 20 of 300 of these amino acids.

And one last reason is because the environment needed to "create" one acid naturally can be detrimental to another acid.

Did you leave out the Genesis creation story on purpose or by accident?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
bob b said:
Did you leave out the Genesis creation story on purpose or by accident?

Shoot... :eek:

I guess I assumed it would be assumed I stand on the only other argument that can explain the existence of cells.

:eek: