Calling all Open Theists for Feedback

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not even going to debate you. It would be wise that you left this thread. You are sneaking in and trying to cause "dis-unity'.

I claim the title TriUnitarian. He is Tri(3)Une(1).

But you would know that if you read anything I post. It is helpful to be able to show that God is Modal (ONE) and Tri (Three) ... to cast deceivers like yourself, aside... Please leave.

- Thank you

Typical of all big shots who can not believe straight scripture, and have more interest in your beliefs than in the truth.

You deny Gods word.

1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

LA

Hawkins

Can God make a box too heavy for God to lift or too small to fit in?

The champion answer is always... God can do as God pleases. (Psalm 115:3)

As far as the box that is too small... God would most likely fit into it, then spring back and say (1 Ki. 8:27)

This is something very different. The problem of this premise is in the question itself. It is a paradox that can be proven, like this;

Can God make a box too heavy for Him to lift?

The weigh of the box can only be between 0 and infinity. However any weigh between 0 and infinity can be lifted by God. So "too heavy for God to lift" can't even possibly exist, mathematically speaking!

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
EE,

There is a need to bottom out on some fundamentals related to open theism.

I wrote:

You apparently affirm the above:

If you stand by your affirmation of the classical view of omniscience I have provided, then your claim to being an "open theist" is, well, just incorrect. It is a fundamental tenet of open theism that God does not, indeed cannot, know the future, for the open theist argues the future has not yet happened, so there is nothing for God to know. Hence, the openist will argue God is omniscient, meaning here that God knows all there is to know.

Further, per open theism, God has a thorough knowledge of past and present, and He knows us completely. This often enables God to have a good idea of what we will do, but until we do it, there are no guarantees. See, for example, David Basinger, “Can an Evangelical Christian Justifiably Deny God’s Exhaustive Knowledge of the Future?” CSR 25 (December 1995): 133-134.

God’s lack of knowledge about the future also means that, though God has hopes and plans for what will occur, He may need to scrap them and choose another course of action, once He sees what we do. See, Sanders, God Who Risks, pp. 230-235.

It seems from your post that you may be implying that God at one point actually did know all that would happen in the future, but somewhere along the lines gave Himself a lobotomy of sorts, willing Himself to forget what He knew, in favor of libertarian free will. It is as if, while God has ordained all that will happen (the classic view you apparently affirm), He now "will no longer remember" these things, and is now acting and reacting relationally with His creatures. Yet, that which God has ordained before "forgetting" it all, will in fact happen. It is just that God no longer remembers He ordained it all, yet being consistent with Himself, whatever actions He takes will ultimately comport with His previous ordaining decree. If this is your view, I do not see how this escapes the charge of illusory behavior on God's part.

It will help all concerned for you to make some explicit statements about what you are claiming. You plainly stated you agree with my classical definition of omniscience given earlier. How then do you claim God does not know the future, given that, per my definition, God knows the future because He ordained the future?

AMR

I'm leaving your word's quoted in full and recommend anyone who is following this thread link back to the original... as well... so they can see the quoted dialogue.

I'm speed quoting because I speed read what you have said and want to thank you for your deeply thought out response. I will not do you injustice and throw some rapid response to each of your valuable observations. I will wait until I have more time to sincerely ponder, evaluate and listen with my spiritual heart to what you have said.

You and FL have brought this thread full circle from the de-rail it had fallen into.

All Love in Christ and Grace to you through Jesus Christ, to the Very Glory of the Father,

- Evil.Eye.<(I)>

Also... a sincere thank you to Yourself, [MENTION=6696]Lon[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1746]freelight[/MENTION] for helping me find a little of my old (Nameless manner of Grace) towards the body that baths in the infinite Grace and Love of the infinite... despite the labels that we all enjoy.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
This is something very different. The problem of this premise is in the question itself. It is a paradox that can be proven, like this;

Can God make a box too heavy for Him to lift?

The weigh of the box can only be between 0 and infinity. However any weigh between 0 and infinity can be lifted by God. So "too heavy for God to lift" can't even possibly exist, mathematically speaking!

Yet again, like a kid playing cowboys and Indians that yells... I have an invisible shield!!! You can't hurt me...

I am going to say if God wants it to become too heavy... He can make it too heavy for HIMSELF to Lift, then turn around and throw that Heavy Item beyond the boundaries of comprehension.

Math never defines God... God is the source of all that is and He can change the numbers if He so pleases.

- Evil.Grin.<(I)> (Ps. 115:3)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Typical of all big shots who can not believe straight scripture, and have more interest in your beliefs than in the truth.

You deny Gods word.

1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

LA

John 10:30; Dt. 6:4; Is. 45:5; Lk. 2:11; Is. 43:11; John 14:9; John 8:24

NOW... Shut your mouth... Son of THE LIAR (1 John 4:3; Php. 2:8f; 1 Tim. 3:16; Rv. 4:2)...

If anyone is wondering where to pick up on this thread that this KER is trying to Derail... [MENTION=7209]Ask Mr. Religion[/MENTION] left a wonderful place to start and so did [MENTION=1746]freelight[/MENTION] ...

Derf

Excellent post, Lon! I want to point out some holes in your logic, and I'd like to see what you think. And good topic [MENTION=18375]Evil.Eye.<(I)>[/MENTION]! I wish I had time to read the whole thing. Maybe I'll get through it before it grows eternally long. :)
God, logically and necessarily is outside of time, and I will prove it logically.
If God isn't constrained by time unidirectionally, as the Open Theist claims He is, the foundation of Open Theology, Mormonism, and a good many other philosophies or theologies, crumbles.

I am not attempting to trample anyone's theology, but it will do so. Reader beware.

Most of us understand that something or someone has always had to exist, eternally.
What is eternal, cannot be contained in temporal. Scripture says the heavens are His throne, the earth His footstool, that He is from eternity to eternity, that absolutely not one thing that is or can be made, is capable of existing without Him.
God is eternal (like a line), no analogy can describe this because everything but our life in Him (like a ray), is finite, can be measured, has limitation(like a segment).
God is immeasurable, thus this analogy will only help one apprehend why God necessarily is not experiencing time as we do.
There's no question that God doesn't experience time like we do, imo. He no doubt understands the theory of relativity and can experience places that are running faster and slower in time, at the same time. But does He experience events totally unlike how we do? More on this later.
Finite analogy of the infinite: If a jar and all contents were analogous of God [God's knowledge, maybe?], and even by Open View description, all inside the jar is known by God. There literally can be nothing new in the jar. There is no room and anything added would necessarily come from outside the jar, thus God would be a product of a larger God, if the OV were correct.
I think what you are suggesting here is that everything comes from God, where "everything" includes non-material "things", like emotions and thoughts. What this does is necessitate Calvinistic interpretations, which, as you said, tramples all other theologies--if true. But if sin is a thing, then it also necessitates that God is the author of sin. I'd suggest that if the jar includes beings made in the "likeness" of God, then they can add things to the jar, even from inside the jar.
Open Theists claim that God experiences time unidirectional. They have to believe this or the whole framework of Open Theism falls. Why? Because God would be Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent. The Open Theist claims that the rest of us are influenced by Greek philosophy. This is incorrect: we are 'logical' as the Greeks were 'logical' rather. It is a strawman. My only reason for bringing it up, is to show that logic works, no matter who thinks logically. Even if they are Greeks.
Proof that God is outside of time by analogy and logic:
Time must move unidirectionally. There is no such thing as going back in time. Open Theism agrees with this and in fact, it is their logical hallmark that suggests God must move unidirectionally move through time too. "What happened 'before' God created?" they ask. "Before" is a 'created' and limited question imposed on the question, however.
You lost me here. Are you saying that God does NOT experience time unidirectionally (from the first paragraph)? Or are you saying that time is by definition unidirectional? If the latter, then God experiences time as it is--as He made it--since that is the essence of time as you just described. You sound conflicted here.
Time and the conception of time is 1) physically constrained 2) a physical perception 3) a random variable between two points 4) forces finite concepts upon the infinite and an infinite God.
In order for anyone to tell you the time, time has to have passed, else "it would always be noon." What changes from noon to 2 PM? Physical movement and that alone.
In our existence, this is NOT true. According to our understanding of thermodynamics, the other thing that changes is that there is an increase in entropy in our universe! This is so imbedded in our understanding of time these days that it could conceivably be a definition of time. To prove it, here's a Wikipedia article title (and link for those that want to read it): Entropy (arrow of time). I haven't read the whole thing, so I'm not endorsing the content, just using it to show our reigning philosophy of time vs entropy.

The perception and framework of time has to do with mathematic numerals (something to measure), and is nearly the same as our concept of lines, segments, and rays.
I'm probably nit-picking here, but numerals are not "something to measure", but representatives of real things that allow us to think about those real things in our minds. The "something to measure" needs to be more like the entropy I introduced above.

Time is a segment or series of limited segments. No time A, No time B nor duration.
<____________________________> Line bi-durative infinite
.____________________________> Ray finite to durative infinite
.____________________________. Segment finite with some durative properties
I appreciate what you're saying here, but maybe you don't quite appreciate what else you're saying. You are defining eternity in terms of the absence of segments, I think. This might be appropriate, but how do you know? Plus, if eternity encompasses our little segment, then eternity has SOME time/duration included within it, else eternity ended when time began and begins again when time ends--a caricature I'm sure you'll disagree with.
God has no beginning. It is an accepted truth because 1) scriptures says so 2) obvious logical sense says so 3) all of Christendom agrees
I'll probably get in trouble for this, but the problem here is that "beginning" is a "time" word, and to say anything about God outside of time is to say stuff about God using "time" words extends "time" into God's sphere. For instance, Tit 1:2 says: in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began (NKJV). But if there is a "before" time, then that particular conception of time has now been extended backwards. This isn't easy to convey my thoughts here, but imagine two events (in time for now). One happens prior to the other. So "before" Johnnie went to school yesterday, he ate breakfast. Here it is in your graphical construct:

..._________breakfast_____school______...

Now, move one of those events off the line (not along the line) and explain to me how it relates to the other one. The only way to do it is to remove the time "relationship". Thus "breakfast" 1. doesn't occur, because it already is, and 2. isn't "before" "school", because "before" slams it right back into the relationship. But where's Johnnie? He's not on the timeline, because he transcends the events in his life. He was around before breakfast, and he will be around after school. But those events still happen in that order with him. This may sound familiar, as it is essentially describing God as most of us think of Him. Events aren't God. If God "does" anything, those things He "does" are events that have a before and after associated with them, even if God doesn't have a before and after. That doesn't put God into the time segment, but it shows He acted in that order to create the segment between one of His events and another.

So the problem with dealing with "events" (another time word, if you think about it carefully: from past participle stem of Latin evenire "to come out, happen, result,") is that they define sequence, and sequence is an indicator of "time relationship", though not necessarily with our definition/understanding of "time".

Spoiler
I'm not sure if I agree with the Titus 1:2 translation. It's a new one, and seems to be informed by our more recent understanding of time. I say "new", because it doesn't appear in any versions I've seen prior to the 20th century. (I did my comparison at blb.org--let me know if there's a better source of versions.) Others may carry the same meaning in more obscure words. KJV uses "before the world began".

A nonbeginning logically is at least bi-durative. Clocks cannot go back in time. Only reference points can be understood from what is past. We cannot go back there, but it requires a time-stamp/date. God has none. He CANNOT be merely unidirectional. He is at least bi-durational, thus timeless. The only point of interaction between God and man is because He places Himself within our time-frame. We are unidirectional, thus His interaction is unidirectional at least as far as we perceive it.

Whatever God's extent (He has none, but we cannot conceive other than as finite beings, the infinite), He says there is nothing beside Him nor will there ever be.
I'd be interested in your scriptural support for God being all that there is. I think that's called pantheism, which I'm pretty sure you don't subscribe to.

But regarding God's extent, He has given us a clue in that He claims heaven as His throne. Just as a man can build a house that contains but doesn't constrain him, so, perhaps, can God. And Jesus, when He ascended, He ASCENDED, giving us a relative location of where God is, since He was going to His Father.
As part of the jar analogy, think of a jar that can become larger, but the contents are always the same inside the jar. Even a vaccum created is but the energy difference, no change. God must certainly know all elements of His 'finite' creation else it would necessarily have to come from outside of Himself and He could no longer be God. Greek? Yes, but I didn't read this from a Greek, I found it doing mathematics in relation to infinite quantities.
Therefore, God possesses all omni's by necessity else something else would be His God. This is scripturally true. It is logically true. It is mathematically true.
I tend to agree with your thoughts on the "Greek" relationship to the idea of God being outside of time--it's hard not to come to such a conclusion. But still, you refer to a jar of God's making, containing contents of God's making, not allowing for any other "maker". Such is scripturally UNTRUE, imo, unless God is the author of sin. Once any single thing is allowed that is not of God's making, then the rest of your argument seems to crumble--not indicating that God does not possess the omni's, but perhaps indicating that your definition of the omni's is insufficient. And it doesn't allow for God to create anything but a robot.

Spoiler
Regarding my reference to entropy, I don't have my thoughts fully locked down on this, but using entropy as an objective time indicator makes for some interesting thoughts on God and His relationship to time.

For one thing, God is immortal and God is incorruptible--He doesn't get older or decay. This may have some implications regarding what actually happened to the earth and Adam and Eve when they sinned (or it may not--I don't want to be dogmatic on this). Perhaps they started to "corrupt" the day they ate the fruit. Perhaps they started to "die" at that moment, and all of creation started to decay with them.

For another thing, one could see both that our becoming incorruptible is dependent on God sustaining us, and perhaps that our rate of decay now is equally dependent on God sustaining us to the degree that He does.

That's probably enough speculation for one day. And my head is starting to hurt.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a fundamental tenet of open theism that God does not, indeed cannot, know the future, for the open theist argues the future has not yet happened, so there is nothing for God to know. Hence, the openist will argue God is omniscient, meaning here that God knows all there is to know.
That's a pretty fair assessment.
Although it may be a tad misleading to state that GOD cannot know the future. Stating it that way can make it sound as though GOD cannot predict a future event and make it come about with any surety. And that is not what most of the OT here at TOL believe.
We believe that in GOD's perfect wisdom, He can calculate every possible outcome of any action, and therefore would know of every single outcome that could happen. And He can intervene when necessary to cause something to happen that He wants to happen.

Case in point:
GOD gives Jonah instructions to go to Nineveh.
Jonah doesn't want to and goes the other way.
GOD nudges a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and then spits him out 3 days and nights later.
Jonah says, "I'll get right on that, Lord", and heads straight for Nineveh.

Further, per open theism, God has a thorough knowledge of past and present, and He knows us completely. This often enables God to have a good idea of what we will do, but until we do it, there are no guarantees.
See, that right there gives the impression that GOD cannot intervene to cause what He wants to happen, to happen.

We can have a guarantee of some things to happen in the future.
Those guarantees come from GOD, they are His oaths, and He will cause them to happen.
No time travel necessary to know it.

So to just say that the Open View says "GOD cannot know the future" or "cannot have any guarantees of the future" is greatly misleading of what the Open View actually teaches.

Lon

Excellent post, Lon! I want to point out some holes in your logic, and I'd like to see what you think.
Thank you, I'm humbled.
What this does is necessitate Calvinistic interpretations, which, as you said, tramples all other theologies--if true.
A big reason I am a Calvinist, I couldn't escape the necessity of it or at the very least, Augustinian.

But if sin is a thing, then it also necessitates that God is the author of sin.
It isn't, its a privation. Death is the absence of life, etc. Inside the jar, it would be the part where the Vein of God is eschewed but still contained.
I do note your counter-argument:
I'd suggest that if the jar includes beings made in the "likeness" of God, then they can add things to the jar, even from inside the jar.You lost me here. Are you saying that God does NOT experience time unidirectionally (from the first paragraph)? Or are you saying that time is by definition unidirectional? If the latter, then God experiences time as it is--as He made it--since that is the essence of time as you just described. You sound conflicted here.In our existence, this is NOT true. According to our understanding of thermodynamics, the other thing that changes is that there is an increase in entropy in our universe! This is so imbedded in our understanding of time these days that it could conceivably be a definition of time. To prove it, here's a Wikipedia article title (and link for those that want to read it): Entropy (arrow of time). I haven't read the whole thing, so I'm not endorsing the content, just using it to show our reigning philosophy of time vs entropy.
Acts 17:24 God is relational to, unimpaired by, time. His existence in the past is still going. Forever. I've heard "no, it's past." This cannot be correct because an eternal nonbeginning (point of reference) is eternal with no reference point. No reference, no time or progression.
I'm probably nit-picking here, but numerals are not "something to measure", but representatives of real things that allow us to think about those real things in our minds. The "something to measure" needs to be more like the entropy I introduced above.
Numerals: A symbol or mark used to represent a number, thus you are thinking of symbol and I'm thinking of mark. Both are correct so I agree about the word being awkward. "Mark" didn't quite work either. I was looking for a better word, but one that would commonly convey the intent. On that point, I don't think its nit-picky, but rather questioning if it got in the way of the intent. I was frustrated with not finding a better way to say it so I think it lent to your concern and need for specification. Th

I appreciate what you're saying here, but maybe you don't quite appreciate what else you're saying. You are defining eternity in terms of the absence of segments, I think. This might be appropriate, but how do you know? Plus, if eternity encompasses our little segment, then eternity has SOME time/duration included within it, else eternity ended when time began and begins again when time ends--a caricature I'm sure you'll disagree with.
It has to explain it in those terms because time 'must' begin and end for our conception of it. No beginning, no end, no time. Rather, a segment is contained in a line, rather than a line contained in a segment. In some ways, this is true of the line, because it defines where the line came from and where it is going. The properties of a line and the properties of time, I believe, are very much in mathematical sync and logical comprehension.
I'll probably get in trouble for this, but the problem here is that "beginning" is a "time" word, and to say anything about God outside of time is to say stuff about God using "time" words extends "time" into God's sphere. For instance, Tit 1:2 says: in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began (NKJV). But if there is a "before" time, then that particular conception of time has now been extended backwards. This isn't easy to convey my thoughts here, but imagine two events (in time for now). One happens prior to the other. So "before" Johnnie went to school yesterday, he ate breakfast. Here it is in your graphical construct:

Now, move one of those events off the line (not along the line) and explain to me how it relates to the other one. The only way to do it is to remove the time "relationship". Thus "breakfast" 1. doesn't occur, because it already is, and 2. isn't "before" "school", because "before" slams it right back into the relationship. But where's Johnnie? He's not on the timeline, because he transcends the events in his life. He was around before breakfast, and he will be around after school. But those events still happen in that order with him. This may sound familiar, as it is essentially describing God as most of us think of Him. Events aren't God. If God "does" anything, those things He "does" are events that have a before and after associated with them, even if God doesn't have a before and after. That doesn't put God into the time segment, but it shows He acted in that order to create the segment between one of His events and another.
1) I think your observation actually does put God into the time-line. " A line is relational to, unconstrained (and largely undefined) by a segment."
This is where I observe: "God is relational to, but unconstrained and largely (infinitely) undefined by time."

So the problem with dealing with "events" (another time word, if you think about it carefully: from past participle stem of Latin evenire "to come out, happen, result,") is that they define sequence, and sequence is an indicator of "time relationship", though not necessarily with our definition/understanding of "time".
Agree. God is necessarily relational to time, or you are correct 'we' wouldn't exist.

Spoiler
I'm not sure if I agree with the Titus 1:2 translation. It's a new one, and seems to be informed by our more recent understanding of time. I say "new", because it doesn't appear in any versions I've seen prior to the 20th century. (I did my comparison at blb.org--let me know if there's a better source of versions.) Others may carry the same meaning in more obscure words. KJV uses "before the world began".

I'd be interested in your scriptural support for God being all that there is. I think that's called pantheism, which I'm pretty sure you don't subscribe to.

But regarding God's extent, He has given us a clue in that He claims heaven as His throne. Just as a man can build a house that contains but doesn't constrain him, so, perhaps, can God. And Jesus, when He ascended, He ASCENDED, giving us a relative location of where God is, since He was going to His Father.I tend to agree with your thoughts on the "Greek" relationship to the idea of God being outside of time--it's hard not to come to such a conclusion. But still, you refer to a jar of God's making, containing contents of God's making, not allowing for any other "maker". Such is scripturally UNTRUE, imo, unless God is the author of sin. Once any single thing is allowed that is not of God's making, then the rest of your argument seems to crumble--not indicating that God does not possess the omni's, but perhaps indicating that your definition of the omni's is insufficient. And it doesn't allow for God to create anything but a robot.

Spoiler
Regarding my reference to entropy, I don't have my thoughts fully locked down on this, but using entropy as an objective time indicator makes for some interesting thoughts on God and His relationship to time.

For one thing, God is immortal and God is incorruptible--He doesn't get older or decay. This may have some implications regarding what actually happened to the earth and Adam and Eve when they sinned (or it may not--I don't want to be dogmatic on this). Perhaps they started to "corrupt" the day they ate the fruit. Perhaps they started to "die" at that moment, and all of creation started to decay with them.

For another thing, one could see both that our becoming incorruptible is dependent on God sustaining us, and perhaps that our rate of decay now is equally dependent on God sustaining us to the degree that He does.

That's probably enough speculation for one day. And my head is starting to hurt.

Great thinking, imho. As I said, the Jar is limited. As you said, any time conveyance, cannot convey its absences. We have no marks (numerals) other than negative and positive but it creates two rays from one point (zero), thus is not truly a given infinite, but ALSO a finite point to try and understand the infinite. I love Ephesians 3, Paul says "I pray you discover the height, depth, and width of God's love for you, (and get this, or at least that's what I got) which is immeasurable!" Bam, head hurts me too.

This btw, is the reason for the necessity of a faith that believes God entered the world. He has placed eternity in our hearts. Ecclesiastes 3:11 -Lon

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Expanding consciousness......

Expanding consciousness......

EE,

I wrote:

If you stand by your affirmation of the classical view of omniscience I have provided, then your claim to being an "open theist" is, well, just incorrect. It is a fundamental tenet of open theism that God does not, indeed cannot, know the future, for the open theist argues the future has not yet happened, so there is nothing for God to know. Hence, the openist will argue God is omniscient, meaning here that God knows all there is to know.

Further, per open theism, God has a thorough knowledge of past and present, and He knows us completely. This often enables God to have a good idea of what we will do, but until we do it, there are no guarantees. See, for example, David Basinger, “Can an Evangelical Christian Justifiably Deny God’s Exhaustive Knowledge of the Future?” CSR 25 (December 1995): 133-134.

God’s lack of knowledge about the future also means that, though God has hopes and plans for what will occur, He may need to scrap them and choose another course of action, once He sees what we do. See, Sanders, God Who Risks, pp. 230-235.

It seems from your post that you may be implying that God at one point actually did know all that would happen in the future, but somewhere along the lines gave Himself a lobotomy of sorts, willing Himself to forget what He knew, in favor of libertarian free will. It is as if, while God has ordained all that will happen (the classic view you apparently affirm), He now "will no longer remember" these things, and is now acting and reacting relationally with His creatures. Yet, that which God has ordained before "forgetting" it all, will in fact happen. It is just that God no longer remembers He ordained it all, yet being consistent with Himself, whatever actions He takes will ultimately comport with His previous ordaining decree. If this is your view, I do not see how this escapes the charge of illusory behavior on God's part.

It will help all concerned for you to make some explicit statements about what you are claiming. You plainly stated you agree with my classical definition of omniscience given earlier. How then do you claim God does not know the future, given that, per my definition, God knows the future because He ordained the future?

AMR

Hi AMR,

My former commentary holds in general, beyond whatever particulars there are to flesh out, define or correlate :)

Defining terms, points of view, relational contexts are important in our researching this subject, especially in defining or assuming what God can know regarding the future, the extent or ability of that, and if such knowledge is modified in anyway by free will decisions. I've been looking into the 'middle knowledge'(Molinist) view, and think it may offer some additional insight into the larger equation :)

Zeke

Prophecy has no relevance in eternity, The Divine state isn't effected by time based states of being experienced by the first Adam who hasn't awoken to the fact where life originated from seeing no off spring of God/Divine can ascend who didn't first descend.

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God and the Future Per Open Theism

God and the Future Per Open Theism

So to just say that the Open View says "GOD cannot know the future" or "cannot have any guarantees of the future" is greatly misleading of what the Open View actually teaches.
Actually, I was quite careful in what I stated. I did not "just say", rather I qualified my statement that God cannot know the future for the future is assumed to be unknowable as to factuality. That openism argues that God can predict things is not the issue in terms of epistemology. Knowledge requires a grounding in facts.

Per classical theism, God knows because He has ordained. What God ordains cannot not happen, hence it is known by God who sees all past, present, and future equally vividly. Per open theism, God's knowledge is grounded in what He sees has actually happened. Per open theism, the future has not yet happened, therefore God does not know it, for He cannot know it just as He cannot make a rock so big He cannot lift it. In other words, God knowing (epistemologically) the future is a logical impossibility for openism. Instead, God relies upon the openist view of omnicompetence to probabilistically predict what may or may not happen.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Molinism's Shortcomings

Molinism's Shortcomings

I've been looking into the 'middle knowledge'(Molinist) view, and think it may offer some additional insight into the larger equation
Along the same lines of my previous post related to epistemic knowledge of God concerning the future, Molinism's middle knowledge suffer from the same issues.

I made this simple Molinism schematic for those unfamiliar with the concept (click to enlarge):
View attachment 25494

For more on Molinism see:
http://www.ligonier.org/blog/molinism-101/

The plain fact is that pure possibilities, posed prior to the decree of God, are literally nothing...no things..logical hypotheses. Nothing can be known or unknown as actual in this scenario. This in no way diminishes the omniscience of God, because it is not an unknowable "something", but just nothing at all. Contrary propositions standing prior to the decree of God to actualize one or the other are not entities, and thus are neither true or false, nor indeed, knowable—such propositions are indifferent to truth or falsehood.

Molinists and others refer to the counterfactuals of creaturely freedom (CFs): Knowing what any possible agent would do in any possible circumstances, God can have complete providential control over the events that occur by knowing how the history of the world would go given any creative decision He might make about which circumstances to cause to be actual, and by then making that initial creative decision. Yet human libertarian freedom is obviously also maintained.

But, foreknowledge is grounded in something that actually happens, and it is the occurrence of that future event that sanctions the foreknowledge of it. This is the grounding of God's foreknowledge.

On the other hand, whatever grounds the truth of counterfactuals of freedom is something other than an actually occurring event. The indeterminateness of counterfactual states of affairs in virtue of which counterfactuals of freedom are true is therefore of a wholly different order from the indeterminateness of future states of affairs in virtue of which future factuals of freedom are true. Though the latter are not yet determinate, they nevertheless will be.

Even granting that there are some CF’s with actual (true) antecedents whose truth might in principle be determined by actual agents, God could not know them pre-volitionally, if He must directly perceive their grounds. For until God decides which agents and which circumstances to cause to be actual, there aren’t any actual decisions that God could in principle know as the grounds of these CF’s. Since middle knowledge is meant to be the aid by which God determines the actual world—and yet it seems as if God could not have this knowledge logically prior to determining the actuality of a particular possible world—“middle knowledge” is both incorrectly described and unhelpful for providential creation decisions.

The Molinist view of providence should be rejected because there are not any true counterfactuals of freedom. According to Molinism, foreknowledge is nothing more than the causally impotent byproduct of God’s creative act of will.

AMR

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Excellent post, Lon! I want to point out some holes in your logic, and I'd like to see what you think. And good topic [MENTION=18375]Evil.Eye.<(I)>[/MENTION]! I wish I had time to read the whole thing. Maybe I'll get through it before it grows eternally long. :)
There's no question that God doesn't experience time like we do, imo. He no doubt understands the theory of relativity and can experience places that are running faster and slower in time, at the same time. But does He experience events totally unlike how we do? More on this later.I think what you are suggesting here is that everything comes from God, where "everything" includes non-material "things", like emotions and thoughts. What this does is necessitate Calvinistic interpretations, which, as you said, tramples all other theologies--if true. But if sin is a thing, then it also necessitates that God is the author of sin. I'd suggest that if the jar includes beings made in the "likeness" of God, then they can add things to the jar, even from inside the jar.You lost me here. Are you saying that God does NOT experience time unidirectionally (from the first paragraph)? Or are you saying that time is by definition unidirectional? If the latter, then God experiences time as it is--as He made it--since that is the essence of time as you just described. You sound conflicted here.In our existence, this is NOT true. According to our understanding of thermodynamics, the other thing that changes is that there is an increase in entropy in our universe! This is so imbedded in our understanding of time these days that it could conceivably be a definition of time. To prove it, here's a Wikipedia article title (and link for those that want to read it): Entropy (arrow of time). I haven't read the whole thing, so I'm not endorsing the content, just using it to show our reigning philosophy of time vs entropy.

Spoiler

But regarding God's extent, He has given us a clue in that He claims heaven as His throne. Just as a man can build a house that contains but doesn't constrain him, so, perhaps, can God. And Jesus, when He ascended, He ASCENDED, giving us a relative location of where God is, since He was going to His Father.I tend to agree with your thoughts on the "Greek" relationship to the idea of God being outside of time--it's hard not to come to such a conclusion. But still, you refer to a jar of God's making, containing contents of God's making, not allowing for any other "maker". Such is scripturally UNTRUE, imo, unless God is the author of sin. Once any single thing is allowed that is not of God's making, then the rest of your argument seems to crumble--not indicating that God does not possess the omni's, but perhaps indicating that your definition of the omni's is insufficient. And it doesn't allow for God to create anything but a robot.

Spoiler

Derf!!!

I was hoping you would show up! Good to see you here.

- EE

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
That's a pretty fair assessment.
Although it may be a tad misleading to state that GOD cannot know the future. Stating it that way can make it sound as though GOD cannot predict a future event and make it come about with any surety. And that is not what most of the OT here at TOL believe.
We believe that in GOD's perfect wisdom, He can calculate every possible outcome of any action, and therefore would know of every single outcome that could happen. And He can intervene when necessary to cause something to happen that He wants to happen.

Case in point:
GOD gives Jonah instructions to go to Nineveh.
Jonah doesn't want to and goes the other way.
GOD nudges a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and then spits him out 3 days and nights later.
Jonah says, "I'll get right on that, Lord", and heads straight for Nineveh.

See, that right there gives the impression that GOD cannot intervene to cause what He wants to happen, to happen.

We can have a guarantee of some things to happen in the future.
Those guarantees come from GOD, they are His oaths, and He will cause them to happen.
No time travel necessary to know it.

Well Spoken!!

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
EE,

I wrote:

On the other hand, the non-open theist affirms that God knows past, present, and future equally vividly because His knowledge of past, present, and future is grounded in the fact that God has ordained all that has, is, or will happen. Hence, God genuinely knows. God does not predict the future based upon past and present knowledge, per the open theist, rather God knows the future for He has ordained all that has, is, or will happen.

I affirmed it Here. Link to my earlier response to you

If you stand by your affirmation of the classical view of omniscience I have provided, then your claim to being an "open theist" is, well, just incorrect.

I have thought about this... and to be sincere... you are presuming to understand Open Theism, and to be fair to you... I don't think most of Christendom understands Open Theism. The Open Theist knows that God is UTTERLY SUPREME and SOVEREIGN. The Open Theist has NEVER "Refined" Omniscience, as you are respectably "misunderstanding".

It is a fundamental tenet of open theism that God does not, indeed cannot, know the future, for the open theist argues the future has not yet happened, so there is nothing for God to know. Hence, the openist will argue God is omniscient, meaning here that God knows all there is to know.
This statement is dangerous. It is denying the very thing that makes Open Theism an important addition to ALL theology. Because OPEN THEISM recognizes God's direct response to us, it is a fluid mechanic that acknowledges PROGRESSIVE REVELATION from God.

Allow me to name some people that agreed that scriptural understanding is PROGRESSIVE in Revelation.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jude, Paul, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Jonah, Moses, Peter, James,​
... but how about...

John Wycliffe
John Hus
Jerome of Prague
Savonarola
Peter Waldo
Wessel Harmenz
Theodore Beza
Martin Bucer
Heinrich Bullinger
Johannes Hus
John Calvin
Andreas von Carlstadt, later a Radical Reformer
Wolfgang Fabricius Capito
Martin Chemnitz
Thomas Cranmer
William Farel
Matthias Flacius
Caspar Hedio
Justus Jonas
John Knox
Jan Łaski
Martin Luther
Philipp Melanchthon
Johannes Oecolampadius
Peter Martyr
Aonio Paleario
Laurentius Petri
Olaus Petri
John Wycliffe
Jiří Třanovský
William Tyndale
Joachim Vadian
Pierre Viret
Primož Trubar
Huldrych Zwingli

You have excluded the fact that Open Theism acknowledges that God knows the "Future" as well. Open Theism doesn't gloss over prophetic scripture and say... "OOPs". In-fact... many Open Theists have a completely different eschatological view of scripture from much of Western Eschatology that separates (Israel Ecclesiastical) from (The Members of Christ and Grace that follow Acts 9 to the point in Acts 11:26 where the word Christian is first used) as Dispensationalists do, as well.

I have addressed this towards you and [MENTION=6696]Lon[/MENTION], and you are both brilliant! I am simply wondering why almost every word that I have written towards either of you in this... Link to un-evaluated post that contains a link to an un-evaluated post to Lon by yourself and Lon. I mean this with the deepest respect... I would appreciate live quote and response to the words that I took a great deal of time to express. I am doing my best to do so, and I don't think I'm asking too much to receive the same, in return.

Again... This is a complete misreading of what I have been writing all of this time. I am mildly confused that I have taken so much time to articulate matters, and every word is going unnoticed and read over. I have no quoted response to my most important posts to you and [MENTION=6696]Lon[/MENTION] that I linked within this post. That link contains my response to you and a link to Lon that I was hoping you would count as words towards yourself. I'm sincerely wondering why my words aren't valuable enough to quote line by line. I'm cool and I absolutely appreciate and love you with the love of Christ... It just kind of feels like my words aren't being taken seriously and are counted as too insignificant to address word for word. This kind of... hurts. I'm being sincere. No sarcasm to veil my true relation to this matter.

It seems from your post that you may be implying that God at one point actually did know all that would happen in the future, but somewhere along the lines gave Himself a lobotomy of sorts, willing Himself to forget what He knew, in favor of libertarian free will.

This is sarcastic and appeals to my human nature that can be scathing and harsh. I give that to God to progress forward in Christian Love and gratitude for your discussion in this matter. I would deeply appreciate it if you would line by line quote and address the post towards you and Lon that I am now certain you both are underestimating and casting to the side. How does it make you feel when you take the time to hammer out implicit expression of verbalized ideas and receive responses that show the other party completely discounted every word of your post?

Please... please... Read, Fully Address each spoiler, link and quote, within the content of the post to you and the post to Lon that is fully accessible through the link I provided. I dropped the material that you and Lon seem to have glossed over in spoiler format, towards the bottom of this post.

You are completely misunderstanding what I am saying.

It is as if, while God has ordained all that will happen (the classic view you apparently affirm), He now "will no longer remember" these things, and is now acting and reacting relationally with His creatures. Yet, that which God has ordained before "forgetting" it all, will in fact happen. It is just that God no longer remembers He ordained it all, yet being consistent with Himself, whatever actions He takes will ultimately comport with His previous ordaining decree. If this is your view, I do not see how this escapes the charge of illusory behavior on God's part.

This may come up again... but... Jesus calls HIMSELF the VINE and he Calls the Father the VINE DRESSER. This is literally Builder and Architect as I described through the TriUnity in deep detail to prevent this misunderstanding. I even site that the real "illusion" is in the idea that God is mechanically saying things like... "the LORD regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."... but is supposedly saying this in a Theatrical way, as if it wasn't hitting him in a (temporal) fashion, as He says it. If these very words are removed from what I am ACTUALLY saying... (Pretty please give every word of my post to you and Lon thought by thought quotation and response evaluation and respect.)... God becomes a disingenuous Actor on a stage He set for Himself. Any thing but the ACTUAL theology I am expressing is a form of Preterism and Insincerity, on God's Part.

... Sir... I have! You have ignored it! This is kind of becoming cutting at this point. I don't mean this in a whiny way, or a manipulative way, or an upset way... but sincerely... I have taken much time to address you and I feel like every word I've written is being ignored.

I'll save you the link trouble and just re-drop both posts in spoiler format to make your reading and quotation more simple.
Spoiler
Good Morning AMR, ( [MENTION=7209]Ask Mr. Religion[/MENTION] ... Spoilers Added )

I'm going to try to share my counter view, but without using the kind of speech that is gruff and incompatible with sensible debate. I respect the clarity you used to express your perception of Open Theism's conceptualization of Omniscience. I have a counter view and I believe it is more on par with the matter. You know how some matters can be misunderstood in theologies from differing perspective... I think this is one of those instances. To say that God "Limited" Himself seems absurd... but... I indeed see that He did so in many... Many passages in scripture. (Php. 2:8) is my quick... go to example. (Humbled and bond servant... yet fully God with us and (Is. 9:6))

Temporal (Within Time / Sincere Relationship, Moment by Moment) / A-Temporal (Beyond Time / Full Omniscience) The Open Theist understands God as capable of being genuinely within time and outside of time at the same moment. In this... The Triune is afforded the ability to relate to man in a genuinely relational way that allows God within Time to experience things, without suppressing the natural flow of choice and relationship.

Open Theism sees God as Beyond all things, yet within them at the same time. Articulated to Lon here. (Link Here)

Well, the open theist will re-define the traditionally understood meaning of the term, omniscience. For the open theist, omniscience means that God knows all there is to know.

I disagree with this statement. I'm an Open Theist and I don't redefine "Omniscience". I actually agree with your cited "Non-open Theist" definition. In-fact... I'm certain that all Open Theists would as well, thus... it's not really a "Non-Open Theist view".

On the other hand, the non-open theist affirms that God knows past, present, and future equally vividly because His knowledge of past, present, and future is grounded in the fact that God has ordained all that has, is, or will happen. Hence, God genuinely knows. God does not predict the future based upon past and present knowledge, per the open theist, rather God knows the future for He has ordained all that has, is, or will happen.

When the Open Theist speaks of Omniscience and God... they understand the Triunity of God in precision clarity that can almost be misunderstood as "Modalism"... this was my first clue that I am an Open Theist. The Open Theist says; "God intentionally limits His Foreknowledge" for the sake of Free Will, Sincere Relationship and connection to humanity, in a way that again allows "moment to moment" relationship.

The following Spoiler is on my perception of "what I mean", when I say God is 100% Omniscient, but limited His foreknowledge.
Spoiler
Allow me to begin to clarify...

I am suggesting that God is utterly limitless, but ensured free Will would reign within creation, out of Love and sincerity. God knew that creation was different than Himself, the Creator and separated His omniscience from Creation... through the Son, who the Bible clearly says, "All things were made by, through and for".

I further state that Hebrews 4 links Jesus Death, Burial and Resurrection to Creation ... via the true meaning of Sabbath rest. "It is finished" is a Creation statement, statement of a debt paid in full and the words from the "Memra" that show our Debt of "Sin" is Paid in full.

I will leave this scripture for today to show a fraction of what I am conveying...

(Luke 14:28) Note: A tower is only half way up. Man can only build a religion or Tower of Babel (Gen. 11:3f, 4f) that never reaches God.

However, Jesus is our stairway that connects "Heaven and Earth". (Gen. 28:12)

He is our "Tree of Life".

God Created us and as scripture says... (Eph. 1:4)
A more rough and zoomed out way of expressing this would be... Here...
Spoiler
OPEN and SINCERE RELATIONSHIP - Love, Relationship; This is another major point. All through Scripture, God explains that His entire purpose of Creation is for "His Son". We also know the SON as the LOGOS and very "WORD, PROMISE, ROCK, PILLAR OF FIRE BY NIGHT, CLOUD BY DAY... Etc". We are assured in scripture that God has had a Father, Son relationship that is ETERNAL. When Jesus describes the coming of the Comforter... We have other verses that distinguish the "Comforter" as (Rm. 8:9; Php. 1:19 and so on), but a really mysterious set of verses are (John 10:30 and John 14:23). This suggests that the Holy Spirit is the very unity of Jesus the Son with His Father, within us! Within our HEARTS! If this isn't the most intimate relationship in my life, I don't know what else could be. My Point? God demonstrates His desire for sincere Relationship with us in EVERY Word of Scripture. Of-coarse, the biggest proof verse is (John 5:39f) and a the very lengths that Jesus went to so He could dwell in our Hearts! (Heb. 2:14)

OPEN WITHIN TIME - If one ponders that God limited His foreknowledge through His Son, all of those pesky doctrines that struggle to explain how God isn't a tyrant, but created a "Free" system that allowed Evil to manifest itself within said system, fall away. It becomes simple. The Son has always been the limited in foreknowledge presence of God within Time. This concept genuinely exonerates ONE that needed no exoneration in the first place. This also solidifies that the Theophanies in scripture are no Less than the LOGOS, Eternal SON that is truly Blameless!
In that statement what is left unsaid until questioned, is that "all there is to know" implies that God does not know the future for the future has not yet happened.

I see the Father as the Architect and the Son as the Builder. This agrees with ALL scripture. The link to Lon... above... articulates this well. To make this brief... I see the Holy Spirit as the unifying "member" of the GodHead that connects the Father and the Son. (God can provide the Son with Omniscient matters that are crucial to human survival and ultimate, ARCHITECTURAL outcome.

The following Spoiler is from myself, on [MENTION=4465]Bright Raven[/MENTION] 's Trinity Thread towards another ToL member.
Spoiler

Would you agree that we are...

(Mind/Spirit)
(Body)
(Soul)

... as Human beings?

Could you call your Soul your Spirit, or your Body your Soul? Could you call the Spirit the Body?

Could it be that we are made in HIS image, but His infinite Existence can do things, our created existence can't?

As in... All one, but God's "Body" (Memra/Logos/Son) can be in a Location, while God's (Spirit/Father/Mind) is literally EVERYWHERE.

Consider this... The Holy Spirit equates to the very (SOUL) of God. Thus... when Jesus says... I am in my Father and my Father is in Me... He is saying (My Father and I share the very same SOUL)...

Only ONE GOD! But... God's Soul... (The Holy Spirit)... Again is Divine and can indwell over a billion people at one time per (Ephesians 1:13) and yet, only the (SPIRIT - Gen. 1:2 and TRUTH - John 14:6) in light of ... (John 4:24; 1;1; 10:30; John 14:11)... Are referenced in (John 10:30) and are the ACTUAL PRESENCE of GOD...

God indwells us per, Romans 8:9, but that doesn't make us God, just because God's Holy Spirit (Soul) resides within us because of God's miraculous work of Creation and Salvation (Ephesians 2:8f)

What does this insanity mean? It means Jesus is AWESOME and Incomprehensible... yet He has provided His (Holy Spirit, that we might grasp a bit to come and Spiritually Comprehend a fraction of the infinite we will never fully understand after an infinity!

God's TriUne Being is uniqe to our TriUne being. In specific terms... God is Ultimately (Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent).

God is Disembodied and within Body at the Same time... (Examples... Ex. 33:18-23 and 1 Timothy 3:16)

That is Divine. We can't get hung up on simple human thinking... He is genuinely (TRI) and (UNE)

The following spoiler contains a quote from
It is about the "Change" of the "Temporal" Relational "Person"/"expression" of the GodHead Guard (So to Speak)
Spoiler
He says the Spirit of Love will grow Cold at the time and Jesus said that only the Father knows the day.

Open Theism isn't daft in a way that it would allow that one verse to overturn it. I believe Open Theism implies the Son or Holy Spirit are limited in foreknowledge... depending on their place of relationship, per biblical time, yet the Father remains fully Omniscient.

From Gen. 1:3 (John 8:12 ... world is "Kosmo ... universe usage connected to Kosmos) to Luke 23:46... then... Matthew 27:52 (Heb. 11:40)... then... Matthew 28:2 to Acts 1:9...

Change of Divine Guard, yet the Father remained within all... as He is the very omnipresence of the GodHead.

Acts 1:4 to Acts 2:2f ... Human change of Guard starts with a man in Acts 9

This is my view... on the "Open Matter".

In fact, per the open theist view, God did not know (knowledge grounded in actualities) the exact words I have and am typing right this moment until I have completed doing so. Now, per the open theist, God is very, very, smart, so He can predict with a high degree of certainty what I may exactly type out on the page here, but this is still probabilistic knowledge, mathematically, P less than 1. This is in accordance with the general open theism view that God can sometimes get things wrong, but is smart enough to regroup and recover such that His ultimate aims are going to be realized.

I fully disagree with this statement. God never makes mistakes, but He clearly wanted "Free Will" to be fostered in Creation, so He could "genuinely" Love and be Loved... and relate in a Non-Mechanical... Non-Predetermined fashion that involves specific intervention in human lives and time with specific response to relationship and overall, temporal necessity.

The Flood and the words... "The Spirit of the Lord was Grieved" that He had made man... is very black and white. NO OTHER VIEW OF THEOLOGY MAKES THESE WORDS GENUINE. Open Theology makes these words sincere and compassionate! God saw mankind destroying itself and by the Father... was made aware that only 8 must be spared, or Human extinction would occur. We have New Testament evidence of this, in reference to the RETURN of the KING... (Matthew 24:22)

God the Father is removed from omniscient dealings with man by the "Temporal" relation of the Son. Your co-collaboration of the TriUne becomes enormously evident in the Open View. This truly removes the burden of guilt from God for Evil existing in our universe! This is the most important aspect of the Open View. To insinuate that God "Ordained" evil, or "Created" evil in any fashion... is a contradiction of ALL scripture.

Open View is highly scriptural and enormously misunderstood!

The caution here for any discussion of any belief systems is to make certain all parties are clearly defining their terms, as groups will use the same terms, giving a sense that lots of "common ground" exists, yet the terms being used mean something very different than what is commonly understood.

AMR

I wish I had more time to clarify... but I have to head off to a new chapter in my life. I hope to add to this response more, and deeply appreciate your dialogue here that is forcing me to go deeper into scripture for articulation and clarification.

- All Christian Love and Respect...

- EE
Spoiler
Isaiah 45:5 Act 7:48-51 Colossians 1:16-20

Finally!!! A Scriptural Address! Thank you! You are the first!

5 I am the Lord, and there is no other;
There is no God besides Me.
I will gird you, though you have not known Me,​

and...

48 “However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
49 ‘Heaven is My throne,
And earth is My footstool.
What house will you build for Me? says the Lord,
Or what is the place of My rest?
50 Has My hand not made all these things?’​

I agree with this fully and in my explanation... I write this.

"Two Trees...

But that would mean that the Father was the "Architect" and the Son was the "Builder"! Yup! The Architect Planned Sincerely and Perfectly and the "Builder" Built Perfectly! No Right hand hiding it's intentions from the Left hand... GOD is never a LEFT HAND! God is ONE!"

To further expound with words I have already written...

"We, that are TriUnitarians believe God is Model (Une) and Simultaneously Three (Tri)...

Father (Spirit/Mind)
Son (Body/Creator Physical)
Holy Spirit (Soul of God)

Is the Father Spirit? Yes! Does the Spirit have the Soul of God? Yes!
Is the Son Physical? Yes! Does the Son have the Soul of God? Yes!

Is the Soul the very essence of Eternal existence? Yes!

Is the Body the Soul? No! Is the Spirit the Soul? No! Is the Spirit the Body? No?

Is the Father in the Son as the Son is in the Father? Yes! (John 14:11) - God has ONE SOUL! We know Him as (The Holy Spirit)

Now... Is the Father visible or in one place at a moment? No! (Col. 1:15)
Is the Son visible and in one place at a moment? Yes! (Col 1:15)

Is the Holy Spirit (Soul) of God capable of being many places at once? Yes!
Is the Son (Body) of God capable of being many places at once? Yes!

How many Bodies does God have? Deut. 6:4

What is my point? God is truely TRI! I would say I've demonstrated a very purposeful use of such and resoundingly answered YES! But... Is God UNE as well? Find one verse that distinguishes the BODY of the FATHER from the BODY of the Son! Challenge!! Scripture Challenge!

It is considered Heretical to say the Father has the Stigmata. (Is. 9:6)

Is God a co-collaboration of three separate Bodies? Or a Trinity of Body-Spirit-Soul that we were made in the "Image" of?

Are we One? Yes! Are we Tri? Yes! Can our Spirit, Body and Soul be in disagreement? YES!!! (Romans 7:15)

Can God's Spirit, Body and Soul be in disagreement? NO! God is the only PERFECT ONE! (Lk. 22:42)"

I address Colossians 1 Later...

Scripturally, if God dwells anywhere, then the universe is His God. Why?

I fully agree with you. In-fact... I say that God is Tri and Une. I distinguish that God Created in such a fashion that allowed for free will to reign, that sincere Love might be cultivated, by Being "Father" (Architect) and "Son" Creator.

I fully believe that the Spirit (Father) is beyond time and The Son (Logos) was placed by God, within time (NOT CREATED ... Placed ... as in... i can't separate my BODY from my Spirit ... But God Can.) Do I have evidence? Genesis 1:1 (In the beginning God... UNE and Tri) ... Gen. 1:2 (The Earth Was Formless and Void) ... Void of what? God had just created it. Void of Life? (Gen. 1:3) "Let there be Light"... This is where I propose that God the Father and God the Son, both of One Soul... (Holy Spirit ... and third fully capable, interactive, sentient presence of the God Head `Ruach HaKadesh') Separated for purpose. If God said light and it isn't the Sun... we can only lean on scripture to show us the very meaning of why light is "added". (John 8:12, 9:5) In other words...

I am suggesting that God is utterly limitless, but ensured free Will would reign within creation, out of Love and sincerity. God knew that creation was different than Himself, the Creator and separated His omniscience from Creation... through the Son, who the Bible clearly says, "All things were made by, through and for".

I further state that Hebrews 4 links Jesus Death, Burial and Resurrection to Creation ... via the true meaning of Sabbath rest. "It is finished" is a Creation statement, statement of a debt paid in full and the words from the "Memra" that show our Debt of "Sin" is Paid in full.

I will leave this scripture for today to show a fraction of what I am conveying...

(Luke 14:28) Note: A tower is only half way up. Man can only build a religion or Tower of Babel (Gen. 11:3f, 4f) that never reaches God.

However, Jesus is our stairway that connects "Heaven and Earth" (I distinguish Infinity and Timelessness as the "Third Heaven" and Earth "As our very Kosmos"). (Gen. 28:12)

He is our "Tree of Life".

God Created us and as scripture says... (Eph. 1:4)

Because there would be something or someone beside Himself AND that something would be greater than Him. Mormons believe exactly this, that God is a maker, but product of the universe and that the universe, logically is His God.

And yet... we see Jesus bound to humanity and the reveal is that Jesus is the very "IMAGE" or "BODY" of God in scripture... (1 Tim. 3:16). To further say this...

"OPEN and SINCERE RELATIONSHIP - Love, Relationship; This is another major point. All through Scripture, God explains that His entire purpose of Creation is for "His Son". We also know the SON as the LOGOS and very "WORD, PROMISE, ROCK, PILLAR OF FIRE BY NIGHT, CLOUD BY DAY... Etc". We are assured in scripture that God has had a Father, Son relationship that is ETERNAL. When Jesus describes the coming of the Comforter... We have other verses that distinguish the "Comforter" as (Rm. 8:9; Php. 1:19 and so on), but a really mysterious set of verses are (John 10:30 and John 14:23). This suggests that the Holy Spirit is the very unity (Soul of God ... and source of absolute Unity! ... keep in mind... the razor we walk on... God is Une, but to deny the eternal Relationship of the Father and Son is a supreme revision of biblical revelation in scripture.) of Jesus the Son with His Father, within us! Within our HEARTS! If this isn't the most intimate relationship in my life, I don't know what else could be. My Point? God demonstrates His desire for sincere Relationship with us in EVERY Word of Scripture. Of-coarse, the biggest proof verse is (John 5:39f) and a the very lengths that Jesus went to so He could dwell in our Hearts! (Heb. 2:14)"

Isaiah 45:5 Yet God clearly states: "There is no other." and further Isaiah 42:8 "I will not share."

In Colossians 1 we learn everything is sustained (contained therefore) in the Creation-power of Christ.
Significance? Nothing exists that exists without Him, as Colossians 1 clearly and implicitly states. John 15:5 states as well, "without Me, you can do not one thing."

Again... I am not disagreeing with you one bit. In fact... I am now expounding on the Tri... As I said here... "OPEN WITHIN TIME - If one ponders that God limited His foreknowledge through His Son, all of those pesky doctrines that struggle to explain how God isn't a tyrant, but created a "Free" system that allowed Evil to manifest itself within said system, fall away. It becomes simple. The Son has always been the limited in foreknowledge presence of God within Time. This concept genuinely exonerates ONE that needed no exoneration in the first place. This also solidifies that the Theophanies in scripture are no Less than the LOGOS, Eternal SON that is truly Blameless!"

Note... it says... By, For and Through... and I indeed testify that He is utterly UNE, yet TRI.

Omnipresence is the key to understanding what I am suggesting and it doesn't disagree with any scripture.

"If" God could write a new song, it would literally have to be 1) notes He'd never created, 2) words that there was no potential of being able to be put together And importantly 3) completely outside Himself and from another God. Why? Because ALL things proceed from within the Lord God.

I couldn't agree more... But... I would say that because we are Body, Spirit and Soul... and God is Body, Spirit and Soul ... we can see that God's "Body, Spirit and Soul is much more capable than our ... Body, Spirit and Soul. God could write that song three different ways with his Body, Spirit and Soul that come out in PERFECT HARMONY.

"If" all things do not proceed from God, then the Open Theist is correct BUT God would also be part of creation.
Because all things proceed (else Colossians 1 is untrue) from Him, He necessarily is all-knowing of all that proceeds from Him and because He sustains all things, all actions, all movement, everything.

Spirit (Father) (Mind and unbound, Infinite Presence of God... Timeless!!!... No Boundaries ... Invisible)

Body (Son) (The very expression and presence of God... the very revelation of God... Can be uniquily bound to time for the purpose of Creation and Perfection... while the Father remains beyond time yet they are utterly able to communicate at need via their co-joined (SOUL... Holy Spirit... "LET US", "We" (Gen. 1:26, 3:22) ... we also see a unified dialogue at key points in time throughout scripture... The flood is another example... (Gen. 6:3) ... Note... The Father Proceeds from the Son, and the Holy Spirit Proceeds from the Son... (Gen. 2:7) ... as in... It was the Son (Logos) that breathed into the nostrils of Man... There is a noted difference in matters, once Jesus commits His Spirit back to the Father... upon saying "It is finished". This is where I am zeroing in...

"This is a touchy subject! God is genuinely omniscient. While Jesus was among us in flesh, He had a form of omniscience (John 2:25), yet... even pre-ascension... Jesus said this... (Acts 1:6f) ... note that this is slightly different than (Matthew 24:36). In other words, Jesus has ascended into the "Fathers" "Hands" already, in Spirit and Something has changed from Matthew to Acts. Point blank... Jesus doesn't speak in Plurality... He doesn't use the verbiage that He doesn't know the answer to the disciples questions. He makes it clear that He won't let them know the answer because it is only for God to know."

I do not believe Open Theism can sustain logically. -Lon

Not so fast Lon... I have a strong counter argument to why God Created as "Architect" (Father) and "Creator" (Son), While willingly limiting/choosing to be limited in foreknowledge (through the Son, though the Father retains ALL foreknowledge/Omniscience)... This would seem preposterous... but we have scriptural evidence that God can do this through His Son (Body)... Php. 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

It is this...

"Another point to bring in now... Testing vs. Tempting. This very theological information is crucial to get right! One tests and one tempts! Also... There is Father Tree theology and there is Son Tree Theology.

Tree of Life (Son, Fruit of the Spirit, Faith, Trust, God's Provision)

(Tree of The Knowledge O.G.A.E.) (Father, Perfection, Law, Omniscience, LORDSHIP, Provider)

Testing... (Dt. 8:2) ... Tempt... (James 1:13)

Why is this imperative?

Because if the "Memra" (Word) had "foreknowledge" in Creation and Time... Placing the tree of the Father Tree within the garden and knowing the outcome would simultaneously be Testing and Tempting. Any theology that fails to distinguish that the Logos (Word/Memra) had purpose and design set forth (John 10:37, 5:19), yet didn't have the foreknowledge of the outcome is defining God as The Tempter.

One model of theology is clearly lacking next to the other! Let's get blunt through analogy. Instead of the Father Tree and the Garden... we'll use the analogy of a Loaded Gun and a Locked room.

-One theology has God locking a 7 year old in a room with many toys... including a loaded gun, knowing full well the Gun will be used to bring self-harm. This would make God "Evil".

-The other theology has God creating everything in sincerity and through co-collaboration of Omniscience and Limited foreknowledge... that Free Will could reign. How did the omniscient Father prepare matters to ensure sincerity? Self Saccrifice that would pay for the presence of the Loaded Gun and simultaneously allow... (Switching back to Spiritual Verbiage) Sincerity and Fertile soil of Love, with utter provision for all possible outcomes.

Two Trees...

But that would mean that the Father was the "Architect" and the Son was the "Builder"! Yup! The Architect Planned Sincerely and Perfectly and the "Builder" Built Perfectly! No Right hand hiding it's intentions from the Left hand... GOD is never a LEFT HAND! God is ONE!"

And so... I leave you with these questions...

Is God now, not Tri? Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

When did the Son, who we both Agree... per. (Col. 1:15, 16f, 18) is the Physical Creator ... "Finish Creation"?
Spoiler
My proposed Answer: (John 19:30 and Hebrews 4 tied to Gen. 2:2 and (Luke 14:28f, 30) ... In other words... The Father designed it and willed it... and the Son Created it and maintained it...

I suggest that God has allowed the form of Himself that is directly interactive with Mankind to be limited in foreknowledge to experience genuine relationship and provide free will, without being "responsible" for it's abuse. I further propose that He paid the price for providing Free Will, that Love could be "Genuinely" manifested from our Hearts to Him. After all... (Ephesians 1:4 and 1 Peter 1:20 ... Also ... Romans 8:9)...

Gratitude for being the first person to actually rebut me with scripture, and know that I recognize all human interpretation... (Mine especially) as simply that (Human interpretation).

If you would like to continue this round and round... I would be honored. I Love and appreciate you all the more for scripturally challenging me.

- EE

I'm ok.. But please... Sincerely quote, respond to and address every word and spoiler. I have taken enormous amounts of time to express myself clearly and to be misunderstood while every word has been available to clearly understand what I am expressing, and directly given to yourself and [MENTION=6696]Lon[/MENTION]... is just difficult for me to comprehend.

All Sincerity, Christian Love, Respect and Hope,

- Evil.Eye.<(PW)>

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God's Knowledge of the Future

God's Knowledge of the Future

Youhave excluded the fact that Open Theism acknowledges that God knows the "Future" as well. Open Theism doesn't gloss over prophetic scripture and say..."OOPs".
EE,

I was not speaking about prophecy.

I have reviewed all your responses to me, including the links in your responses. The quote above is the only place you mention the word future, out of 8686 words in all those responses. In that single occurrence you also curiously quote it as "Future". I just want to make certain we are on the same page here.

So, perhaps I am not communicating well. Let me try a single question:

Does God know each and every event that will actually happen in the future?

AMR

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
EE,

I was not speaking about prophecy. Perhaps I am not communicating well, so let me try a single question:

Does God know each and every event in the entire universe that will in fact happen in the future?

AMR

Sir... I have spent hours trying to convey in unquestionable clarity what I am conveying. I will be patient. Even if it takes you a week or longer. I would deeply appreciate it if you would take the time to evaluate ALL material that I have taken so much time to convey. If there was a 2 second way to say this, then I would. I have linked scripture in enormous volumes to conceptual clarifications to prevent these trivial misunderstandings. You are speaking clearly, but you aren't evaluating every word of what I am conveying. I know you have the ability and I would deeply appreciate your dynamic tension and challenge. But I am now generating enormous posts, because I'm having to backtrack to unanswered posts and spoilers that are specific to your questions and rebuttal.

Please review the entire post... the whole... Gigantic thing... and address it with the same specificity I am doing my best to respond to you with.

All Christian Love and Gratitude,

EE

Reactions: Lon

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is the Future Settled?

Is the Future Settled?

Sir... I have spent hours trying to convey in unquestionable clarity what I am conveying. I will be patient. Even if it takes you a week or longer. I would deeply appreciate it if you would take the time to evaluate ALL material that I have taken so much time to convey. If there was a 2 second way to say this, then I would. I have linked scripture in enormous volumes to conceptual clarifications to prevent these trivial misunderstandings. You are speaking clearly, but you aren't evaluating every word of what I am conveying. I know you have the ability and I would deeply appreciate your dynamic tension and challenge. But I am now generating enormous posts, because I'm having to backtrack to unanswered posts and spoilers that are specific to your questions and rebuttal.

Please review the entire post... the whole... Gigantic thing... and address it with the same specificity I am doing my best to respond to you with.

All Christian Love and Gratitude,

EE
EE,

I have read your posts directed towards me, including the linked content in them. Every word (over 8,000 words). This is why I have asked a very plain question as you do not seem willing to provide a perspicuous answer. The answer should not be difficult and will establish a common baseline for discussion.

Do you believe God knows exactly each and every thought, word, or deed, that you or I will do in the remainders of our lives on this earth? Not what we might do, but what in fact we will actually do. Simply, is the future settled as far as God's knowledge is concerned, in that God knows we will do these events even before we will actually do them?

A direct answer to the above should not require much in the form of an answer.

For example, when contrasting the classical settled view of the future that non-openists hold, Rev. Enyart was plain spoken in providing an answer:

"The Open View, alternatively, reports that the future is not settled"

Do you agree?

AMR

Last edited: