California makes it legal for children to be prostitutes

Arthur Brain

And if they run from the cops every time?
What? Do the cops have the legal right to chase a non-criminal?
Do the cops have the legal right to physically restrain a non-criminal?
Do the cops have the legal right to force a non-criminal into a car?

If it's for their protection then yes. Are there not already laws in place for this? Does a cop not already have the right to remove a person from a dangerous situation? I think you'll find they do.

Of course it's the aim.
I am saying that it will miss its mark by a mile.

Why? What would you suggest in order for the aim to be met?

Possibly no difference than allowing them to return right to the street.
Only, with this law in place, there will be more child prostitutes.

Well, put it this way. How do you suppose you'd feel if you'd been trapped into a life of abuse and then treat like crap by authorities in turn? How many of these child victims end up offending as adults after being lobbed in jail instead of receiving care do you suppose?

glassjester

If it's for their protection then yes. Are there not already laws in place for this? Does a cop not already have the right to remove a person from a dangerous situation? I think you'll find they do.

Well that's just it. If the cop asks the kid why they're loitering, and the kid says, "Sorry, I'll go home now," and walks away, the cop can't do a darn thing. Even if he suspects them of being a prostitute. Loitering isn't exactly imminent danger.

Why? What would you suggest in order for the aim to be met?

Keep it illegal. Change the sentencing.

Well, put it this way. How do you suppose you'd feel if you'd been trapped into a life of abuse and then treat like crap by authorities in turn? How many of these child victims end up offending as adults after being lobbed in jail instead of receiving care do you suppose?

Too many, I'd guess.
Like I said, change the sentencing.

But don't create un-arrestable prostitutes for pimps to exploit.
That doesn't solve anything.

Arthur Brain

Well that's just it. If the cop asks the kid why they're loitering, and the kid says, "Sorry, I'll go home now," and walks away, the cop can't do a darn thing. Even if he suspects them of being a prostitute. Loitering isn't exactly imminent danger.

Loitering isn't exactly a criminal offence either so either way wouldn't make any difference. If a cop has reason to believe the child is a prostitute then he/she has the power to act on that suspicion or should have at any rate.

Keep it illegal. Change the sentencing.

Change it to what?

Too many, I'd guess.
Like I said, change the sentencing.

But don't create un-arrestable prostitutes for pimps to exploit.
That doesn't solve anything.

Again, to what? And if authorities have the power to forcibly remove underage victims off the streets for their own protection and put them in care instead of cells then how does that exacerbate the problem?

Tinark

I agree.

Still, it does create an incentive for pimps to exploit children rather than adults.
Which will led to an increase in child prostitution.

No good. Plain and simple.

What is the incentive? Spell it out.

The pimps will be subject to much more severe penalty if caught (compared to pimping adults). The teen prostitutes will not just "remain on the streets", the cops will still take them off the streets and get them help.

The teens will also be able to go to the cops for protection as victims rather than criminals if they want to come forward and turn the pimps in.

What exactly are you getting at here?

glassjester

What is the incentive? Spell it out.

I have, multiple times.

The teens will also be able to go to the cops for protection as victims rather than criminals if they want to come forward and turn the pimps in.

There are laws like that in other states.
This California law takes away the ability of the police to arrest (forcibly apprehend) child prostitutes.

From http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/4/california-law-decriminalizing-child-prostitution-/

Concerned Women for America reports, “New York and Washington State have laws that divert minors arrested for prostitution into services and rehabilitation programs at the discretion of the judge in New York and at the discretion of the prosecutor in Washington. … In Massachusetts, the law diverts minors found in prostitution into services and treatment but keeps the charges pending against them in place until they successfully complete the rehabilitation programs after which the charges are dropped.”

It also makes it perfectly legal for teens to sell sex to each other, doesn't it?

MrDante

Still haven't read the actual law have you?

Your scenario is like saying if the cop asks the a shoplifter what they just pocketed, and the shoplifter says, "Nothing" and walks away, the cop can't do a darn thing.

MrDante

I have, multiple times.

There are laws like that in other states.
This California law takes away the ability of the police to arrest (forcibly apprehend) child prostitutes.

From http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/4/california-law-decriminalizing-child-prostitution-/

It also makes it perfectly legal for teens to sell sex to each other, doesn't it?

Considering Concerned Women for America denouncement to the Violence Against Women Act and their standing position of providing legal opposition to any school district attempt to enact an anti-bullying campaign...I'm not going to take anything they say seriously.

glassjester

Still haven't read the actual law have you?

Your scenario is like saying if the cop asks the a shoplifter what they just pocketed, and the shoplifter says, "Nothing" and walks away, the cop can't do a darn thing.

Yes, I did read it. And I realize you're referring to the part that says cops can use force similar to that which they would use in addressing a misdemeanor.

But you must have totally ignored the immediate contradiction that follows. There can be no charges whatsoever in relation to that apprehension. None.

So what happens then? What happens if they return to prostitution? What happens if they're caught again?

Nothing.

glassjester

Considering Concerned Women for America denouncement to the Violence Against Women Act and their standing position of providing legal opposition to any school district attempt to enact an anti-bullying campaign...I'm not going to take anything they say seriously.

How about addressing the actual content of the statement?

Other states have laws that address the issue of child prostitution without legalizing it.

MrDante

Yes, I did read it. And I realize you're referring to the part that says cops can use force similar to that which they would use in addressing a misdemeanor.

But you must have totally ignored the immediate contradiction that follows. There can be no charges whatsoever in relation to that apprehension. None.

So what happens then? What happens if they return to prostitution? What happens if they're caught again?

Nothing.

If you read the legislation as you claim and paid attention here you woudl know what happens.