California makes it legal for children to be prostitutes

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yes. If an adult has sex with a fifteen year old then it's classed as rape regardless of whether the fifteen year old is a victim of sex trafficking or "whoring themselves out". The adult is the criminal, not the child.

if the fifteen year old was acting of their own volition, should they be arrested/prosecuted/convicted?

Arthur Brain

If you think pimps won't say to themselves, "Gee, California, thanks for creating an entire class of un-arrestable prostitutes for me to exploit," then obtuse doesn't even begin to describe your state of mind.

Don't you think there's more incentive for victims to approach authorities where there's no threat of arrest or punishment but rather help? I can see the legitimate concerns over the ramifications on this bill but criminalizing minors has done what in the past exactly? It certainly didn't stop sex trafficking did it?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Don't you think there's more incentive for victims to approach authorities where there's no threat of arrest or punishment but rather help? I can see the legitimate concerns over the ramifications on this bill but criminalizing minors has done what in the past exactly? It certainly didn't stop sex trafficking did it?

you think they continue sex trafficking in juvenile detention?

musterion

Isn't that exactly how statutory rape laws work, though?

Yes, and precisely there is where the clash will come. If teens are able to prostitute themselves without fear of arrest, then sooner or later more are bound to get into the business. Increased supply = increased demand. Some adult will eventually say he did not break the law because underage prostitution is no longer illegal, statutory rape laws be damned. At that point, one of those two laws will have to go because the case will be made that they cannot be harmonized. And I believe that's the ultimate goal.

Guess which law people like Tinny will vote needs to disappear.

glassjester

Don't you think there's more incentive for victims to approach authorities where there's no threat of arrest or punishment but rather help?

Not when their pimps threaten to kill them for doing that.

Don't you think they're more afraid of their pimps than the police?

I can see the legitimate concerns over the ramifications on this bill but criminalizing minors has done what in the past exactly? It certainly didn't stop sex trafficking did it?

It stopped every kid forced off the streets by cops, didn't it? Now they can just walk away.

Arthur Brain

Not when their pimps threaten to kill them for doing that.

Don't you think they're more afraid of their pimps than the police?

Do you not think that pimps threaten them regardless? If the police are perceived as the enemy as well then what hope is there for those trapped?

It stopped every kid forced off the streets by cops, didn't it? Now they can just walk away.

For how long, and into where? Juvenile detention centres? What does that solve overall? It gives the kids a criminal record and anything but the help they need. What should happen with this new ruling is that these kids are taken off the streets and into care, not incarceration. It will fail if they're just allowed to walk away I agree.

glassjester

Do you not think that pimps threaten them regardless? If the police are perceived as the enemy as well then what hope is there for those trapped?

The hope is that they get caught and are forced off the streets, just like they were forced onto the street. Now, they can't be forced off the streets.

For how long, and into where? Juvenile detention centres? What does that solve overall? It gives the kids a criminal record and anything but the help they need. What should happen with this new ruling is that these kids are taken off the streets and into care, not incarceration. It will fail if they're just allowed to walk away I agree.

Do you really think juries didn't already take into account the fact that a child was forced into a criminal activity? And their records were washed away at 18, anyway.

Arthur Brain

The hope is that they get caught and are forced off the streets, just like they were forced onto the street. Now, they can't be forced off the streets.

Well how about they're forced off the streets and treat like a victim instead of a criminal? That would hopefully be the aim of this new bill where these kids are taken into care and protection and not just released back onto the streets. That would be pointless and self defeating.

Do you really think juries didn't already take into account the fact that a child was forced into a criminal activity? And their records were washed away at 18, anyway.

And what of the time they've spent being treat like a criminal and effectively in prison? What kind of effect is that going to have on a child who's already been abused?

glassjester

Simple, it won't. Once again it's just Musty and his dumb slippery slope fallacy again. Regardless of one's feelings about this law there is absolutely nothing in it that let's an adult 'off the hook' for raping a minor.

I agree.

Still, it does create an incentive for pimps to exploit children rather than adults.
Which will led to an increase in child prostitution.

No good. Plain and simple.

musterion

criminalizing rapists has done what in the past exactly? It certainly didn't stop rape did it?

images

You said rape twice.

glassjester

Well how about they're forced off the streets and treat like a victim instead of a criminal?

And if they run from the cops every time?
What? Do the cops have the legal right to chase a non-criminal?
Do the cops have the legal right to physically restrain a non-criminal?
Do the cops have the legal right to force a non-criminal into a car?

That would hopefully be the aim of this new bill where these kids are taken into care and protection and not just released back onto the streets. That would be pointless and self defeating.

Of course it's the aim.
I am saying that it will miss its mark by a mile.

And what of the time they've spent being treat like a criminal and effectively in prison? What kind of effect is that going to have on a child who's already been abused?

Possibly no difference than allowing them to return right to the street.
Only, with this law in place, there will be more child prostitutes.