boycott the NFL

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
He didn't say 'screw it' and go out without his team. He talked about it after the fact and said that he had talked to Ben about what he was going to do and then apologized because he didn't intend for it to be seen as him separating himself from the team. I guess you could say that he was pressured/guilted into an apology but I'm going off what he said.
I know he didn't say that; that's why I said:
. . . in his actions said, "Censored, I'm going out there."

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That part is probably true.

And?
"The protesters" was a different group before this past weekend. They may have had something to say, but this current crop is not the same; they were reacting to President Trump, saying that NFL players should be fired for doing what the original 14 were doing.

"What are you going to do, fire us all?" is their implicit rebuttal.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
"The protesters" was a different group before this past weekend. They may have had something to say, but this current crop is not the same; they were reacting to President Trump, saying that NFL players should be fired for doing what the original 14 were doing.

I know. I said the same thing in an earlier post.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
https://www.csmonitor.com/Daily/2017/20170926?src=shared
On Sunday, Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Alejandro Villanueva, a US vet, stood alone, hand over heart during the national anthem. Conservatives applauded. On Monday, Mr. Villanueva said he won’t kneel. But he defended his teammates, saying they “are not saying anything negative about the military, not saying anything negative about the flag. They're just trying to protest the fact that there are some injustices in America.”

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I know you weren't saying he literally said those words. I meant that his actions weren't even meant to convey that.
Oh. Well, a lot of fans who purchased Villaneuva's jersey on Sunday disagree with you. Actions do speak louder than words.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I know. I said the same thing in an earlier post.
Well then we can't say "the protesters" as if they are all the same people from last week to this week. There's Kappernick, those who followed his lead over the past year (14 players total), and then there's the mob that appeared on Sunday and Monday.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well then we can't say "the protesters" as if they are all the same people from last week to this week. There's Kappernick, those who followed his lead over the past year (14 players total), and then there's the mob that appeared on Sunday and Monday.

We can't say 'the protesters' in reference to what? About their purpose? Sure, I'd agree.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He was a putz for doing it at a nationally televised football game.
Even those game fans that agree with the premise of the protest were disgusted that he did so at a game, and how he demonstrated that protest at the game.
It was very poor taste on his part.

I boo him and all others that follow suit.

nikolai_42

You don't need what Trump did to see who is on what side. And the sides don't have to be riled up like Trump did. Trump loves conflict and he is pushing it here.

No argument there. Though to be fair, it was going to happen eventually (whether Trump helped it along or not).

The NFL doesn't have a rule about the anthems. I assume that's why Trump tweeted that the only thing the league can do is make one.

Technically, that is correct - but only in that it is not in the rulebook (had to look that up as I heard an official NFL section being read on the radio and neglected to check where it came from). But it is in the manual. And the NFL says this about its manual :

The league’s Game Operations Department uses the manual to govern the conduct of home clubs, to ensure they protect players and provide the conditions for a fair and fan-friendly contest. Clubs face warnings and other penalties for noncompliance.

And the actual manual text (quoted from http://time.com/4955704/nfl-league-rulebook-a62-63-national-anthem-rule/)

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

This past weekend they were protesting Trump, if you want to call it a protest of anything. It was in response to Trump's message during the Alabama rally. Prior to that I think the protesters were pretty unified in what they were doing.

What isn't clear is what, exactly, they were objecting to. The demand that they stand at attention for the national anthem (i.e. we can do what we want because we have that freedom) or that the demand came from the White House? Or was it that we really are backing the original protest but didn't (initially) feel it necessary to disrupt ceremonial proceedings? It has gotten very complicated very quickly.

Why would they speak about it? The players talk about it themselves.

Okay. So do we take what is being said by one athlete or another? They aren't unified in what they are protesting. Do we take LeBron James' illogical and also reactionary response ("...my voice is more important than my knee..." but then saying he would hire Kaepernick if he owned an NFL team; not to mention "The people run this country. Not one individual. And...sure not him {Trump}.")? Or the likes of Tom Brady who said it was "divisive"? Or the Washington Post reporting it was a reaction to racism? The point there is that there is this visceral reaction that seems to be lashing out at whatever is closest.

Yes it was. He should never have done that and I hope he's sorry for it.

I don't know if he is or not. At least the ensuing protests were less hostile in tone.

But the thought occurs to me - what if someone had protested abortion in a similar way? Would the reaction and fallout have been the same as it was with this protest? How many would have rushed to the defense of an NFL player doing that?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No argument there. Though to be fair, it was going to happen eventually (whether Trump helped it along or not).
Of course. Society is very polarized but it'd be nice if the president didn't throw gas on the fire.

Technically, that is correct - but only in that it is not in the rulebook (had to look that up as I heard an official NFL section being read on the radio and neglected to check where it came from). But it is in the manual. And the NFL says this about its manual :

And the actual manual text (quoted from http://time.com/4955704/nfl-league-rulebook-a62-63-national-anthem-rule/)

That's interesting because all of what I've been hearing is that there isn't a rule for standing.

What isn't clear is what, exactly, they were objecting to. The demand that they stand at attention for the national anthem (i.e. we can do what we want because we have that freedom) or that the demand came from the White House? Or was it that we really are backing the original protest but didn't (initially) feel it necessary to disrupt ceremonial proceedings? It has gotten very complicated very quickly.
I think they were reacting to the tone and words of Trump. It's not surprising that the president would want them to stand, but the way he disagreed and condemned them caused them to stand together in support of those who were protesting.

Okay. So do we take what is being said by one athlete or another? They aren't unified in what they are protesting. Do we take LeBron James' illogical and also reactionary response ("...my voice is more important than my knee..." but then saying he would hire Kaepernick if he owned an NFL team; not to mention "The people run this country. Not one individual. And...sure not him {Trump}.")? Or the likes of Tom Brady who said it was "divisive"? Or the Washington Post reporting it was a reaction to racism? The point there is that there is this visceral reaction that seems to be lashing out at whatever is closest.
Why do we have to choose one? Different people may have different reasons. But the comment you responded to was about the original protests which were about police brutality to black people. They had spoken about why they were doing that.

I don't know if he is or not. At least the ensuing protests were less hostile in tone.

But the thought occurs to me - what if someone had protested abortion in a similar way? Would the reaction and fallout have been the same as it was with this protest? How many would have rushed to the defense of an NFL player doing that?
I imagine that there would be some role reversal.

WizardofOz

:rotfl: My qb is the g.o.a.t...

GettyImages-853152936-595x396.jpg

aaronrodgers12
I can't imagine what kind of social media attacks these cameramen must be enduring after taking a knee during the anthem and wearing a hat.
#unity #equalityforall #love #cometogether #invitationtojoin

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
From the NFL rule book

[FONT=&quot]The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.[/FONT]

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Should the NFL be responsible for brain damage caused by numerous concussions? The players chose their career path and get paid big money to play.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Should the NFL be responsible for brain damage caused by numerous concussions? The players chose their career path and get paid big money to play.

They should be liable insofar as they misled players about the risk. That could apply to older players or those who have been in the league for a while. It'd be harder for newer players to plead ignorance and blame the league. There have been several players in the past few years retire early and I expect that trend to continue.