Bill Maher, Bill Nye, Evolution Just Don't Fly

Granite

Hall of Fame
Guys, just an FYI, but I don't believe it's possible for Lighthouse to ever admit making a mistake. And no, that's not a figure of speech.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I believe you're right.
What mistakes have I made in this?

And as for admitting when I'm wrong, or having my mind changed, if that never happened then I wouldn't be defending anything Enyart said, even if I agreed with him on a particular subject.

Lordkalvan

What mistakes have I made in this?
Your insistence that the OP correctly attributed the idea that we should 'treat each other like animals' (with all the implications that phrase has to Stephen Hawking. If I said that the Hutus treated the Tutsis like animals during the Rwanda massacres, you wouldn't think I was referring to compassionate behaviour, would you?
And as for admitting when I'm wrong, or having my mind changed, if that never happened then I wouldn't be defending anything Enyart said, even if I agreed with him on a particular subject.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. If you never admitted you were wrong you wouldn't defend Enyart? What does that mean?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Your insistence that the OP correctly attributed the idea that we should 'treat each other like animals' (with all the implications that phrase has to Stephen Hawking. If I said that the Hutus treated the Tutsis like animals during the Rwanda massacres, you wouldn't think I was referring to compassionate behaviour, would you?
You should have learned about context in Elementary/Grade/Grammar School English. The fact that you ignore the idea of it is further proof that you're just completely stupid and it would be a waste of time to try and educate you.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. If you never admitted you were wrong you wouldn't defend Enyart? What does that mean?
I didn't like Bob when I joined TOL. I also wasn't A9D, OV or a theonomist [at least not to the degree I now am].

The fact I had to explain that is more evidence on the pile regarding your ignorance and lack of intellect.

Lordkalvan

You should have learned about context in Elementary/Grade/Grammar School English. The fact that you ignore the idea of it is further proof that you're just completely stupid and it would be a waste of time to try and educate you.
But you're so smart. Surely you can explain how the expression 'treat people like animals' changes with context, such that when it was used in the OP it meant one thing (compassionate concern for the wishes of terminally ill people) and elsewhere another (cruel and brutal treatment of defenceless people)?
I didn't like Bob when I joined TOL. I also wasn't A9D, OV or a theonomist [at least not to the degree I now am].

The fact I had to explain that is more evidence on the pile regarding your ignorance and lack of intellect.
As opposed to evidence of the incoherence of your first 'explanation' of how you are so ready to admit when you are wrong about something? Right.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
But you're so smart. Surely you can explain how the expression 'treat people like animals' changes with context, such that when it was used in the OP it meant one thing (compassionate concern for the wishes of terminally ill people) and elsewhere another (cruel and brutal treatment of defenceless people)?
:doh:

As opposed to evidence of the incoherence of your first 'explanation' of how you are so ready to admit when you are wrong about something? Right.
What?

Lordkalvan

If you're unable to provide a requested explanation to clarify your claims, you should just say so.
Allow me to clarify (which is what discussants should do when requested to): your first 'explanation' of how you are ready to change your mind so lacked clarity and coherence that accusing others of 'ignorance and lack of interest' seemed to be somewhat ironical.

ETA I would also be pleased to see some examples where you can show that the phrase 'treated like animals' in relation to the treatment of human beings by other human beings is used in any sense other than a negative one.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If you're unable to provide a requested explanation to clarify your claims, you should just say so.
Apparently I am unable to supply one satisfactorily, which comes as no surprise as your obvious lack of intellect and intelligence [and apparently your lack of education as well] clearly cannot be corrected.

Allow me to clarify (which is what discussants should do when requested to): your first 'explanation' of how you are ready to change your mind so lacked clarity and coherence that accusing others of 'ignorance and lack of interest' seemed to be somewhat ironical.
If it appeared to you to lack clarity it is only because you are as dense as a black hole.

ETA I would also be pleased to see some examples where you can show that the phrase 'treated like animals' in relation to the treatment of human beings by other human beings is used in any sense other than a negative one.
No one is arguing that it isn't negative in this sense. Stephen Hawking is abundantly unaware, as are you, that humans are above animals and that our lives are more sacred.

Arthur Brain

No one is arguing that it isn't negative in this sense. Stephen Hawking is abundantly unaware, as are you, that humans are above animals and that our lives are more sacred.

Way to go in completely missing the essence of Hawking's point, not to mention context all ends up in regards to the misrepresentation.

Your insults are as lame as it gets LH, and equally ironic.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Way to go in completely missing the essence of Hawking's point, not to mention context all ends up in regards to the misrepresentation.

Your insults are as lame as it gets LH, and equally ironic.
What is ironic here is the name you have chosen to represent yourself on this forum.

Arthur Brain

What is ironic here is the name you have chosen to represent yourself on this forum.

Hardly, considering it was deliberate and self deprecating from the outset. I don't pretend to get everything right or deny the fact I make mistakes. You OTOH seem to have a complete aversion to admitting errors in reasoning no matter what, and just go about with facile insults about 'education' and whatnot. You dropped a ball on this thread LH. It would be better to pick it up and come back with a new one. :thumb:

Lordkalvan

Apparently I am unable to supply one satisfactorily, which comes as no surprise as your obvious lack of intellect and intelligence [and apparently your lack of education as well] clearly cannot be corrected.
Apparently you're unable to supply one at all so, as per your usual practice, resort to insult instead.
If it appeared to you to lack clarity it is only because you are as dense as a black hole.
No, that would be because your first 'explanation' was not very well expressed.
Then as Hawking never said that people should be 'treated like animals', you would have to agree that the OP deliberately misrepresented him. I would suggest that what Stephen Hawking may or may not be unaware of (and likewise myself) is unlikely to be privy to you.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hardly, considering it was deliberate and self deprecating from the outset. I don't pretend to get everything right or deny the fact I make mistakes. You OTOH seem to have a complete aversion to admitting errors in reasoning no matter what, and just go about with facile insults about 'education' and whatnot. You dropped a ball on this thread LH. It would be better to pick it up and come back with a new one. :thumb:
What errors have I made? And what evidence do you have that I don't admit to errors?

Apparently you're unable to supply one at all so, as per your usual practice, resort to insult instead.
Or maybe you should read.

His implications were that we should euthanize those who are in pain and dying as we do animals. In fact, he more than implied it. In this he is trying to say we give more regard to animals than people, which is backwards reasoning as to do so is actually debasing us to the level of animals; of course Hawking seems to understand that this would put us on the same level of the animals which he believes we should be.

The problem is that we are not equal with them, nor should we be. we are above the animals; that is where we belong.

No, that would be because your first 'explanation' was not very well expressed.
No, you're just stupid.

Then as Hawking never said that people should be 'treated like animals', you would have to agree that the OP deliberately misrepresented him. I would suggest that what Stephen Hawking may or may not be unaware of (and likewise myself) is unlikely to be privy to you.
I've already explained that no one ever indicated that Hawking used those exact words, nitwit. Thus Bob, whose quote appears in the OP, but was not made by the OP, himself [simply agreed upon]. Or maybe it was in the summary. Either way, Jefferson didn't make the comment.

I think you should consider the beam in your own eye, 'Lighthouse'.
:yawn:

Lordkalvan

...Or maybe you should read.
From the evidence of your posts, I would suggest that this is advice you should follow yourself.
His implications were that we should euthanize those who are in pain and dying as we do animals. In fact, he more than implied it. In this he is trying to say we give more regard to animals than people, which is backwards reasoning as to do so is actually debasing us to the level of animals; of course Hawking seems to understand that this would put us on the same level of the animals which he believes we should be.
As Hawking specifically stated that he was proposing euthanasia with informed consent, your point is wholly at odds with his position. He in no way 'debased' human beings 'to the level of animals', which was exactly the implication intended by the OP's assertion that 'Stephen Hawking suggest[ed] that humans treat one another like animals.' And, of course, you swallow it like a bulldog going after a pork-chop.
The problem is that we are not equal with them, nor should we be. we are above the animals; that is where we belong.
Well, that's another discussion, but as Hawking never suggested otherwise, your point is moot at best.
No, you're just stupid.
And you have a tendency to resort to insults at almost any point that you can't address a point reasonably. What does that say about you?
I've already explained that no one ever indicated that Hawking used those exact words, nitwit. Thus Bob, whose quote appears in the OP, but was not made by the OP, himself [simply agreed upon]. Or maybe it was in the summary. Either way, Jefferson didn't make the comment.
Er, yes, he did. Let me remind you again. He said, quoted from the OP, that 'Stephen Hawking suggest[ed] that humans treat one another like animals.' Do you imagine someone else typed these words using Jefferson's account?
Yes, that's probably the best response you can adopt without showing yourself up even more than you have already.

PS Is that a pistol in your palm, or are you just pleased to see me?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Lighthouse says he's been diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic.

This actually explains an awful lot. From what I've read, autistic individuals have a very difficult time admitting they're in error, even when confronted with clear-cut proof that they are absolutely incorrect or have made a mistake. When this occurs there is often a blow up.

Silent Hunter

Lighthouse says he's been diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic.

This actually explains an awful lot. From what I've read, autistic individuals have a very difficult time admitting they're in error, even when confronted with clear-cut proof that they are absolutely incorrect or have made a mistake. When this occurs there is often a blow up.
This sounds a lot like Sheldon on the BBT . . . :think:.