Being Rich Is A Sin

WeberHome

-
I said ROFLOL (in the from of a contraction)

ROFOL isn't a contraction; it's an acronym.

Webster's defines contraction as a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of a sound or letter; also: a form produced by such shortening. For example "They'll" is a contraction for "they will."

Contractions are typically (though not always) a short-cut combination of a noun/pronoun and a verb wherein the some of the lettering of the verb is replaced with an apostrophe.

Social networking is to blame for much of today's bad spelling. The constant use of its jargon is actually dumbing modern youngsters down to the point that it's not unusual for the iPhone generation to have difficulty filling out a legible job application; sometimes even college applications are a bit of a challenge for network brains.

Take it from a 73 year-old senior citizen who's been around the block a time or two: substandard language skills do not make a good impression; they make people look childish, stupid, uneducated, backward, incompetent, and incoherent. There's no real advantage to coming across as a clod. It might be cool to be a clod amongst your peers; but in the real world clods typically earn themselves mockery and disgust instead of respect.

"Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs, rather than a fool in his folly." (Prov 17:12)

/

Last edited:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-

ROFOL isn't a contraction; it's an acronym.

Webster's defines contraction as a shortening of a word, syllable, or word group by omission of a sound or letter; also: a form produced by such shortening. For example "They'll" is a contraction for "they will."

Contractions are typically (though not always) a short-cut combination of a noun/pronoun and a verb wherein the some of the lettering of the verb is replaced with an apostrophe.

Social networking is to blame for much of today's bad spelling. The constant use of its jargon is actually dumbing modern youngsters down to the point that it's not unusual for the iPhone generation to have difficulty filling out a legible job application; sometimes even college applications are a bit of a challenge for network brains.

Take it from a 73 year-old senior citizen who's been around the block a time or two: substandard language skills do not make a good impression; they make people look childish, stupid, uneducated, backward, incompetent, and incoherent. There's no real advantage to coming across as a clod. It might be cool to be a clod amongst your peers; but in the real world clods typically earn themselves mockery and disgust instead of respect.

"Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs, rather than a fool in his folly." (Prov 17:12)

/

I said
lol I was laughing at your statement while correcting me on spelling. What is a "from" in this statement.

(in the from of a contraction)

Matt 23:24
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
(NKJ)

WeberHome

-
What is a "from" in this statement. (in the from of a contraction)
"from" instead of "form" is what's known as a typo, which are normal errors made even by the best of writers. In contrast, social-network misspelled words are typically deliberate and habitual.

/

WeberHome

-
1Cor 14:18-20 . . In the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.

I would offer that passage as practical advice to Christians caught up in social networking. Leave your weird vocabulary at home so that when you converse with regular people at church, they won't need a special glossary and/or an urban dictionary to figure out what you're saying.

/

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-

"from" instead of "form" is what's known as a typo, which are normal errors made even by the best of writers. In contrast, social-network misspelled words are typically deliberate and habitual.

/

I said
lol I know even I do it some times. You can save your English lessons on me. I wouldn't know a verb from a spare tire.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
-
1Cor 14:18-20 . . In the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.

I would offer that passage as practical advice to Christians caught up in social networking. Leave your weird vocabulary at home so that when you converse with intelligent people at church, they won't need a special glossary and/or an urban dictionary to figure out what you're saying.

/

I said
lol I don't think even Jesus would understand the intellectuals of today. Your missing the most important point. Our fancy language is a delusion to the language of the Holy Spirit. There were two trees in the garden of Eden. The tree of life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
(NKJ)

oatmeal

lol Do you know what sin is? Anything not done in faith is sin. A rich person lacks one thing in order to have treasures in heaven.

Luke 18:22-23
22 So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
23 But when he heard this, he became very sorrowful, for he was very rich.
(NKJ)

Rom 14:23
23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
(NKJ)

So where is the verse that says being rich is a sin?

Did Jesus tell all rich people to do that? or just him?

Did Jesus tell all people to wash in the pool of Shiloam or just that one person person who was born blind?

Did Jesus command to all people "Lazarus, come forth"?

oatmeal

I said
lol Doesn't anyone read the bible anymore. Is a thief and a robber sinning?

John 10:7-8
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
(NKJ)

Don't change the subject, we are talking about rich people.

Show me where Abraham's wealth was a sin against God!

Show me where Job's wealth was a sin to God! Job 1:3,8;2:3

God's opinion of Job was rather high, if you ask me.

Job 2:3 God still has the same judgment of Job as He had before he lost his wealth and children.

Job's problem is clearly stated in Job 3:25. You don't have to be rich to be fearful and afraid. that is common to all men until they overcome it by believing God.

So do you suggest that married people are sinful because they are married? After all only people can cheat against their spouse!

Are you suggesting that children are evil because they do not always obey their parents?

What sin did Joseph of Arimathea do? He was wealthy. He is the only one who initiated taking care of Jesus' body. Was that a sin?

oatmeal

I Timothy 6:17

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

Here God says He gives us all things RICHLY to enjoy!

Are you accusing God of giving to us richly so that they can sin?

meshak

BANNED
Banned

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

Being rich is inconsiderate for the poor. Being rich is so against Jesus' principle of love. Jesus is for the whole world, not just for a few countries.

When we think about other country's poverty, we cannot stay rich. We can enjoy life without being rich.

There are too many things against being rich. It is not of Jesus.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Don't change the subject, we are talking about rich people.

Show me where Abraham's wealth was a sin against God!

Show me where Job's wealth was a sin to God! Job 1:3,8;2:3

God's opinion of Job was rather high, if you ask me.

Job 2:3 God still has the same judgment of Job as He had before he lost his wealth and children.

Job's problem is clearly stated in Job 3:25. You don't have to be rich to be fearful and afraid. that is common to all men until they overcome it by believing God.

So do you suggest that married people are sinful because they are married? After all only people can cheat against their spouse!

Are you suggesting that children are evil because they do not always obey their parents?

What sin did Joseph of Arimathea do? He was wealthy. He is the only one who initiated taking care of Jesus' body. Was that a sin?

I said
lol In your greed to defend a sin you have fallen from grace. That is how the word is a double edged sword. Now you must keep the whole entire old testament law. Doesn't any of you read the Word.

Gal 5:1-4

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
Now your just rambling on like an idiot.

nikolai_42

lol Do you know what sin is? Anything not done in faith is sin. A rich person lacks one thing in order to have treasures in heaven.

Luke 18:22-23
22 So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
23 But when he heard this, he became very sorrowful, for he was very rich.
(NKJ)

Rom 14:23
23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
(NKJ)

So the rewards and blessings God gives are only given to you so you can give them away?

And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Mark 10:29-30

The issue is not having wealth, the issue is trusting in wealth.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So the rewards and blessings God gives are only given to you so you can give them away?

And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Mark 10:29-30

The issue is not having wealth, the issue is trusting in wealth.

I said
Well by your own words. The reason people cant give it away is because they put to much trust and faith in money.
[Mat 19:23-24
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

nikolai_42

I said
Well by your own words. The reason people cant give it away is because they put to much trust and faith in money.
[Mat 19:23-24
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Read the scripture I quoted again. They received because they gave away. They not only receive eternal life, but they receive material blessings in this life. This is not the prosperity gospel, but it is confirmation that the Lord blesses those who give...by giving back. And when He gives back on a large scale, is it a sin for the recipient not to immediately turn around and give that away? These are not people who trust in riches.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Read the scripture I quoted again. They received because they gave away. They not only receive eternal life, but they receive material blessings in this life. This is not the prosperity gospel, but it is confirmation that the Lord blesses those who give...by giving back. And when He gives back on a large scale, is it a sin for the recipient not to immediately turn around and give that away? These are not people who trust in riches.

I said
If that were true they wouldn't be rich now would they.

Gary K

Banned
Squeaky,

Let's look at the riches of someone God called a man after His own heart.

IChronicles 22: 14 Now, behold, in my trouble I have prepared for the house of the Lord an hundred thousand talents of gold, and a thousand thousand talents of silver; and of brass and iron without weight; for it is in abundance: timber also and stone have I prepared; and thou mayest add thereto.*n2

So, let's examine what was in David's savings account for the building of the temple.

A talent of gold weighed 250 lbs. A talent of silver weighed 125 lbs.

So, David's savings account for the building of the temple had 250,000 lbs of gold, and 125,000,000 lbs of silver. And the brass and iron that he had saved were without weight. Plus, there was timber and stone for structural use on the building. So what was the value of just to two precious metals that David had set aside for the building of the temple? I will use the same price for gold I used in figuring Solomon's yearly income.

In gold David had saved up, in today's dollars, $466,665,600,000 Do you see that number? Almost 1/2 a trillion dollars in gold alone.
The Monex spot price for silver as I'm writing this is $17.09/oz. So, that means David's savings account held $2,136,250,000 in silver alone. Two+ billion dollars worth of silver.

This means David's savings account for the building of the temple held $468,801,850,000 in gold and silver, and such vast quantities of brass and iron that there was no way to calculate their quantity. Plus there were vast quantities of quarried stone and timber. What was the total value of all of this? Who knows, but we can know it only added to the $468+ billion in gold and silver. I wonder how many billionaires in today's world have a total wealth that could equal David's one savings account? I doubt there are any. And all we know of David's wealth was what was recorded in this one savings account.

So, only one of David's savings accounts held almost 1/2 a trillion dollars in gold and silver, plus incalculable quantities of brass, iron, timber, and quarried stone. And God said David was a man after His own heart. How does that fit your ideas that riches are sin? If David's vast wealth was sin, then just why does God call him a man after His own heart for David would have had to have been one of the worst sinners of all time? By your lights you seem to think that David actually worked at sinning for he had to work to accumulate this type of wealth. Just how does that fit God's assessment of David?

Will you ignore this Biblical evidence against your theory too? I noticed you gave my last post a wide berth.

nikolai_42

I said
If that were true they wouldn't be rich now would they.

They gave everything away to follow Christ. Their reward was eternal as well as temporal. And, like Job, received more back (temporally) than they had even before they were following Christ. It isn't a sin to be rich.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Squeaky,

Let's look at the riches of someone God called a man after His own heart.

So, let's examine what was in David's savings account for the building of the temple.

A talent of gold weighed 250 lbs. A talent of silver weighed 125 lbs.

So, David's savings account for the building of the temple had 250,000 lbs of gold, and 125,000,000 lbs of silver. And the brass and iron that he had saved were without weight. Plus, there was timber and stone for structural use on the building. So what was the value of just to two precious metals that David had set aside for the building of the temple? I will use the same price for gold I used in figuring Solomon's yearly income.

In gold David had saved up, in today's dollars, $466,665,600,000 Do you see that number? Almost 1/2 a trillion dollars in gold alone.
The Monex spot price for silver as I'm writing this is $17.09/oz. So, that means David's savings account held $2,136,250,000 in silver alone. Two+ billion dollars worth of silver.

This means David's savings account for the building of the temple held $468,801,850,000 in gold and silver, and such vast quantities of brass and iron that there was no way to calculate their quantity. Plus there were vast quantities of quarried stone and timber. What was the total value of all of this? Who knows, but we can know it only added to the $468+ billion in gold and silver. I wonder how many billionaires in today's world have a total wealth that could equal David's one savings account? I doubt there are any. And all we know of David's wealth was what was recorded in this one savings account.

So, only one of David's savings accounts held almost 1/2 a trillion dollars in gold and silver, plus incalculable quantities of brass, iron, timber, and quarried stone. And God said David was a man after His own heart. How does that fit your ideas that riches are sin? If David's vast wealth was sin, then just why does God call him a man after His own heart for David would have had to have been one of the worst sinners of all time? By your lights you seem to think that David actually worked at sinning for he had to work to accumulate this type of wealth. Just how does that fit God's assessment of David?

Will you ignore this Biblical evidence against your theory too? I noticed you gave my last post a wide berth.

I said
lol Wide birth?? That isn't even near what I'm going to do with this one. Everything up until John the Baptist was the law. And anyone who attempts to be justified by the law has fallen from grace. And the only way to heaven is by grace through faith.

Luke 16:16
16 "The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
(NKJ)

Matt 11:12-13
12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:1-4
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)