Battle Talk ~ BR XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
theo_victis said:
If you are that egotistical and incessant on being right, then here you go:

I was wrong about the google incident.

Do you really think Turbo would gloat? He is your brother in Christ, not your enemy.

ApologeticJedi

Chileice said:
This quote is quite telling. Are YOU willing to learn from Theo?

Absolutely. I've agreed with Theo on a couple of points already.

Chileice said:
Has Turbo conceded any points to him?

Didn't he very early on concede that the death penalty was not a deterent the way it is used in America? Did he not also concede that states that have the death penalty may be having higher murder rates as well?

I think Turbo has shown a willingness to concede minor points. Theo has conceded nothing even when it is obvious to all.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
You never know with all of his ad hominems.
...said the guy who just called me egotistical. :doh:

Your insults aside, I'm glad that you've now conceded that people do in fact use the expression, "condemned to life in prison" But I wonder what you thought you had to gain by denying it the other day even after I posted that Google link. :idunno:

Wouldn't it be more productive to just abandon an idea as soon as you realize it is wrong? Otherwise we just go around in circles and waste a lot of time.

theo_victis

To be honest, the same could be said for you.

My apologies if I did use ad hominems. I hate them. Could you please be specific and point out where in the debate I did this? I dont ever recall doing so, but you know, it is easy to do.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
The law is obsolete for those in Christ
If you think this is about criminal justice, then why do you advocate punishing Christians who violate laws against murder, theft, etc.?

theo_victis

Your insults aside, I'm glad that you've now conceded that people do in fact use the expression, "condemned to life in prison" But I wonder what you thought you had to gain by denying it the other day even after I posted that Google link.

Wouldn't it be more productive to just abandon an idea as soon as you realize it is wrong? Otherwise we just go around in circles and waste a lot of time

I didnt deny it. I said so what. Then I googled that. I thought you were being funny trying to google things (as if that is a reputable source). I was only being humorous back. It seemed you wasted time by actually trying to prove your point. If it was so frivolous as you think then why respond at all?

That is why I think you were being egotistical (which is not an ad hominem btw when I am actually using it to describe you). You always have to be right, dont you?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
Be patient my friend. I will answer this when I respond with my next post Btw, how was your weekend?
Very good. :thumb: I hope your party was fun.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
theo_victis said:
I didnt deny it. I said so what. Then I googled that. I thought you were being funny trying to google things (as if that is a reputable source).
My claim, which you were challenging, was that people use the phrase "condemned to life in prison." The Google search produced a list of 17,500 pages which included that exact phrase. Those pages were written by people. So, the list gave 17,500 examples of people using the phrase "condemned to life in prison." I can't think of a better way to prove that a certain word is commonly used in a certain context. (Can you?)

How is such a list not reputable? Do you think Google search results do not accurately reflect the content of the pages they list?

I was only being humorous back.
I admit, I laughed at your response. But I was also disappointed in how childishly you reacted to being shown your error.

It seemed you wasted time by actually trying to prove your point. If it was so frivolous as you think then why respond at all?
You said that I had just made up my claim that that people use the phrase "condemned to life in prison." In essence, you were accusing me of lying. Proving that I wasn't lying was so fast and easy, why wouldn't I?

That is why I think you were being egotistical (which is not an ad hominem btw when I am actually using it to describe you).
What makes you think that those times you've accused me of using ad hominems, I didn't think I was actually describing you?

You always have to be right, dont you?
Nope.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Turbo said:
If you think this is about criminal justice, then why do you advocate punishing Christians who violate laws against murder, theft, etc.?
Battle Royale XI in a nut-shell.

Just Tom

Theo:
Those who support the DP in accordance with Turbo's reckoning are left with a dichotomous relationship between the OT law and the NT obsoleting of the OT Law in Christ.

8But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

11According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

12And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

Theo:
I just don't know where you get these foolish ideas from, "Dichotomy"

In reading this debate I just can't understand how you can think your interpretation is correct.
I can only come the conclusion that you think you are being more "spiritual" than other who hold to the BV of the DP.

theo_victis

8But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

11According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

12And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

I agree that the law is good. Please see Romans 5:20. This tells us that the Law was added for our transgression. Everyone breaks the law and sins, so therefore we need grace. The law was fulfilled and made obsolete in Christ, we as Christians no longer condemn by others by the law nor are we condemned by the law by God. It is that simple.

I can only come the conclusion that you think you are being more "spiritual" than other who hold to the BV of the DP.

Puh-lease. I hate ultra spiritual "luvy-duby" crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.