Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Originally posted by Hank
I believe parallax of the stars is still the best evidence we have that the earth rotates around the sun.

That's pretty funny, considering you never mentioned it until after I told you about it.

LightSon

Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

Originally posted by heusdens

What do you mean with the universe being a "completely isolated system". Of what is it isolated, to be called an "isolated" system?
An what is the reason to bring that up?

I was keying off John Pieper's work, where he said, "there are no completely isolated systems in nature, save maybe the universe as a whole". I brought it up because the 2nd law applies to closed systems, while the author wanted to talk about anything but a closed system and how the law doesn't hold for them.

If we would take the solar system as a system in concern, this simply means that - being an open system - loses energy to the surrounding space due to the sun radiating energy into space.
As a whole there is an increase in entropy. The sun constantly loses energy, and once it's fuel is burned up, this system is about to decay. In perhaps 5 billion years, this will be the case.

What we know for the system "earth' is that it is not isolated, but receives nett energy from the sun, while radiating energy back into space. Without the sun, no life system would be possible.

That sounds reasonable.

heusdens

Re: Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

Originally posted by LightSon
I was keying off John Pieper's work, where he said, "there are no completely isolated systems in nature, save maybe the universe as a whole". I brought it up because the 2nd law applies to closed systems, while the author wanted to talk about anything but a closed system and how the law doesn't hold for them.

I know of course about the impact of certain creationist thoughts, who try to work out scientific concepts, and present them in a certain way, and then conclude: see, that possible can't work. So evolution is impossible, hence we need the creator!

One of such ideas is that, based on the second law of thermodynamics, is that when considering the whole universe as a "closed" system (and the term "closed" here means that the universe is not in thermal contact with any other system, and does not refer to cosmological models, which also use the term "open" or "closed" as to distinguish between cosmological models that keep expanding or contract), the universe should have already suffered a "heat death".

This is a formal argument they use against eternal existence of the universe, which is then for them the argument against a universe which exists on itself independendly. Hence needed a "creator" for it's existence.

Hank

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
That's pretty funny, considering you never mentioned it until after I told you about it.

Jack have I told you that you are one of my favorite people at this forum. I almost always laugh or at least smile when I read something you post.

But to respond to your sarcastic remark, I have a book titled Parallax that I read a few years ago. It is the history of the discovery of the evidence for the theory that the earth rotates around the sun. I like reading about the history of science. The book is very interesting reading and I highly recommend it. I could not put my hands on it or I would give you the author. I think it is at work so I can get the author’s name on Monday. If you are interested just let me know.

LightSon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Entropy, Disorder and Life

I know of course about the impact of certain creationist thoughts, who try to work out scientific concepts, and present them in a certain way, and then conclude: see, that possible can't work. So evolution is impossible, hence we need the creator!

One of such ideas is that, based on the second law of thermodynamics, is that when considering the whole universe as a "closed" system (and the term "closed" here means that the universe is not in thermal contact with any other system, and does not refer to cosmological models, which also use the term "open" or "closed" as to distinguish between cosmological models that keep expanding or contract), the universe should have already suffered a "heat death".

This is a formal argument they use against eternal existence of the universe, which is then for them the argument against a universe which exists on itself independendly. Hence needed a "creator" for it's existence.

heusdens,
With the exception of your tacit skepticism (which is your prerogative), I will have to agree with your appraisal.

Considering the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics against the backdrop of our universe as a whole, we should even not exist.

I recall Carl Sagan postulating that our universe could easily be "teeming with life". Now you would behard pressed to find someone who enjoys Star Trek as much as me. I enjoy all the intra-species encounters and how these disparate cultures and morals provided for tension with conventional “terran” values. I also note that such is an elitist tool to help program society away from moral strictures and towards pluralism. But I have strayed from my point.

Putting this fantasy genre aside and as we look out into space, I doubt Mr. Sagan was right. In fact, astronomic observations suggest little if any life "out there". We are quite probably all alone in this vast cosmic “happenstance”.

It is staggering to my mind to consider all the varied and extremely small physical tolerances required to support life on our very small planet. And that's just to support the life here. That doesn't even take into account the additional factors which would have to be present to trigger abiogenesis. We don't even know what those additional factors are, since it is a fact that science hasn't even demonstrated abiogenesis in a controlled environment. This significantly impugns the atheistic-evolutionist model.

Again, considering the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics against the backdrop of our universe as a whole, we should not be here. There is a missing piece to the existence puzzle. How many times I have looked at the intricacies of life or the dynamics of the human brain or body and thought (sarcastically) to myself, "my how extremely clever evolution is" to have conceived of this or that particular function. There is no reason why natural selection should imbue me with the sublime feelings I have when beholding a sunset or mating with my wife. These are extraneous components to mere existence or survival. Why is it so hard to admit that the more complex the design, the greater the need for a designer?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by avatar382

A perfect free will is a free will that always, yet freely and of it's own volition, chooses good. [/b]

This statement is self-contradictory. To "perfectly choose good" every time means one is not free to choose, via perfection --- an evil option.

Furthermore, this begs the question: where would one find such a situation of which to choose good over evil if all previous moral situations were subjected to a "perfect free-will"....

....If everyone of God's creatures are "perfect in their free-will" (always choose good) then we can simply dispense of "free-will" and consequently --- of his creation.

Your placing the logical onus upon God that should be placed on his creation.

It can be argued that God's omnipotence is tempered only by his omniscience. That is........God knows he cannot create a self-aware being without the ability to emotionally, and logically relate to its creator -- of which derives the logical inevitability of free-will.

Last edited:

heusdens

As far as we know, there are no other life forms apart from earth.
The realy amazing question and wondering about "how this all could happen" of course can trigger many fascinating thoughts on what "caused" all this. This however is not a question we may expect to be possible to anwer, and even when we have searched for answers in many places, we are still clueless. Calling the intelligent way in which lifeforms exist as evidence for design, and thus requiring there to be a designer, is perhaps a human vision on reality, but this is still clueless, and realy not an option, since such an answer would invoke more questions as that is solves. How did that design take place, where and when? And wouldn't the designer have to be incredibely more sophisticated then the entire design itself? And where did the designer itself originate from? Etc.

But perhaps this is the best thing that could happen to us, not to know our ultimate source for our existence. Since we know of no creator, we are not obliged anyone or anything for our existence, and that is the way in which we can be free. And that is what human existence all about : freedom.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Scrimshaw

1. If God is all-good, He will defeat evil.

2. If God is all-powerful, He can defeat evil.

3. Evil is not yet defeated.

4. Therefore, it is inevitable that God will defeat evil at some point from now.

Scrim,

Your conculsion does not follow. How do you know God's will?

You would have to be omniscient to know this as an inevitability.....well are you?

LightSon

This however is not a question we may expect to be possible to anwer, and even when we have searched for answers in many places, we are still clueless.

I prefer to say that we have many clues. Some prefer to stare at the clues and pretend they have no meaning.

But perhaps this is the best thing that could happen to us, not to know our ultimate source for our existence.

Perhaps. Or perhaps it is best for us to seek our source of life and get to know Him.

Since we know of no creator, we are not obliged anyone or anything for our existence, and that is the way in which we can be free.
I presume you are using the atheistic "we". In contrast, I am in the processing of getting to know my creator and willingly submit myself to His authority. My freedom is bounded (by my own volition) to his good pleasure.

At least you acknowledge that your desire to be "free" is a driving force to your atheistic worldview.

And that is what human existence all about : freedom.

An interesting assertion. How you come to that conclusion, without an absolute frame of reference, I do not know. The freedoms traditionally afforded people of my citizenry come from an endowment of the creator.

August

PsychoDave wrote:
< Occam's razor is a logical principle attributed to the mediaeval philosopher William
of Occam (or Ockham). The principle states that one should not make more assumptions
than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony. It underlies
all scientific modelling and theory building. It admonishes us to choose from a set of
otherwise equivalent models of a given phenomenon the simplest one.>

I am a scientist, and I don't know of any true scientists that accept Occam's Razor as a principle, because it isn't true. It is natural and logical to examine first the simplest explanation for a physical phenomenon, but as often as not it is the wrong explanation. One example is the lift force on a wing. Newton's explanation was the simple logical one. But the correct explanation is far more complicated, involving Bernoulli's principle together with the Kutta-Joukowski condition. There are other examples in almost any area of science governed by nonlinear equations. A principle that has exceptions - even one - is unreliable.
From another point of view, what is "simple" is often a matter of opinion. You might think that it is simple to model the atmosphere as a set of molecules that are sometimes displaced in the large by various thermodynamics effects, which you can explain in detail, but someone else might think it far simpler just to say, "a spirit moves the leaves on the trees".

Stratnerd

and I don't know of any true scientists that accept Occam's Razor as a principle, because it isn't true.

i don't know if I'm a true scientist, but I like "the Razor". The way I use it is to rank hypotheses based on complexity and I aim to test the simplest hypotheses first and I work my way down as the previous hypotheses are unsupported. I also use it statistically in the form of Akaike's Information Criterion to select among several models. I don't think the razor suggests that simple models are more correct but that one should not add spurious parameters if they aren't warrented.

I think Einstein said something like "a model should be as simple as possible - but no simpler". :freak:

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: solar system

Originally posted by Hank
Jack have I told you that you are one of my favorite people at this forum. I almost always laugh or at least smile when I read something you post.

But to respond to your sarcastic remark, I have a book titled Parallax that I read a few years ago.

That doesn't change the fact that you never mentioned it on this forum until after I mentioned it to you. I did a search before I made my comment. Sure, it was sarcastic, but it's also true.

I could not put my hands on it or I would give you the author.

Steven Holl.

Last edited:

Hi,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Scrim, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Anyway,

But part of our "biological nature" is our conscience and intellect. Our conscience and intellect can override any impulse at any time, so we can still be held accountable for our decisions.

Fair enough. Yet, why must we always fight our biological impulses? Lets look at the biblical sin of fornication. We see an attractive potential mate of the opposite sex, and if this mate advances on us sexually, people in general find it extremely difficult to overcome our biologial urges. Why must be we hindered by a biological nature that wants to sin?

This is a classic example of what I mean when I say that our will is not entirely free... although we are indeed capable of what the bible describes as "good", it seems as though we strongly tend to "evil". (I place good and evil in quotes because I believe that good and evil are relative). People in general tend to be selfish and carnal. It is our nature. Only our intellect allows us to overcome this and form structured societies and civilizations. My question is - if we were created by an intelligent, all-powerful, all-loving being, why isn't our nature more inline with what God wants from us?

My old church preached that the harmful effects of the original sin passed down through the generations to all humanity, the result being that we all inherit a sinful natue. However, this has problems, colorfully stated by Ayn Rand, which I provided in my last post. I'll quote it again in part here -

"...A free will saddled with a tendency is like a game with loaded dice. It forces man to struggle through the effort of playing, to bear responsibility and pay for the game, but the decision is weighted in favor of a tendency that he had no power to escape. If the tendency is of his choice, he cannot possess it at birth; if it is not of his choice, his will is not free."

Asinine. There are many that do works of righteousness and the Bible identifies that fact over and over again. You are submitting a false conclusion based on your misinterpretation of a verse you isolated from it's context. Furthermore, the notion of "only one choice" is logically flawed because the term "choice" implies that there is more than one possible option. You can't "choose" only one "option". For, if there is only one possibility, then it's not an option OR a choice! It would simply be an unavoidable condition.

I've responded to this in part above, but I'd like to point out that by saying "our only choice is evil", I was referring to the belief that some Christians hold that man is incapable of being good by his own accord... that is, according to the bible, man cannot win out against his own sinful nature.

The flaw in your arugment here is that you equate "perfection" with "immutability". But the actual definition of perfection is "completeness; wholeness". There is nothing in the definition of "perfection" that includes the attribute of "immutability". Something mutable can be perfect. Something mutable can begin it's existence in a state of perfection, and self-corrupt over time. To be immutable (in a permanent, unchangable state) is a separate and distinct condition.

Your idea of a "perfect" free will is a logical contradiction. "Free will" only exists when it is *possible* for a creature to make an evil choice. If God rigged a reality where Luficer would only make "good choices", that means that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to make evil choices. But if it is impossible for him to make evil choices, then he would not be free at all. He would merely be a good-choosing puppet that resides in a reality that God jerry-rigged just for him.

Dictionary.com defines "perfection" as -

\Per*fec"tion\, n. [F. perfection, L. perfectio.] 1. The quality or state of being perfect or complete, so that nothing requisite is wanting; entire development; consummate culture, skill, or moral excellence; the highest attainable state or degree of excellence; maturity; as, perfection in an art, in a science, or in a system; perfection in form or degree; fruits in perfection.

2. A quality, endowment, or acquirement completely excellent; an ideal faultlessness; especially, the divine attribute of complete excellence. --Shak.

What tongue can her perfections tell? --Sir P. Sidney.

This is very close the the definition I had in mind, which, asserts that perfection is a state of flawlessness.

Now, lets discuss free will for a second. First, I've got to ask you -

1.) Does God himself have a free will?
2.) If yes to #1, is god capable of choosing to do evil?
3.) If yes to #2, why doesn't he?

I believe that a perfect free will does exist, biblically. One such free will was held by Jesus during his time in human form. There is a difference between a will that always freely chooses good, and a will that is forced to choose good as it's only option. As you have said before, the latter is not a free will at all.

Thus, it is logically feasabile for God to have given his creation Lucifer a free will identical to his own, preseving choice and freedom, yet effectively closing the door on evil. But he didn't. Lucifer's free will was flawed, which leads to the inevitable conclusion that Lucifer himself was created in a flawed state, and we have the problem of a perfect being creating imperfection.

The classic error in this argument is there is a fourth option that is deceptively and purposefully omitted. And that is

4) God is good, and has an appointed time when he will defeat evil.

I didn't mean to be deceptive, but rather I feel that I have eliminated this option due to the logical contradictions it entails.

So the terminal flaw in your argument is it makes the arrogant assumption that since God has not defeated evil YET, he never will. But this assumption implies that you have some inside information about the future. Secondly, you should consider the fact that evil cannot be "destroyed" without destroying freedom, since freedom is the cause of evil. But Freedom is also the cause of LOVE. According to the Bible, God considers love to be the greatest good for all free creatures. Therefore, to destroy evil would be evil itself, because it would mean destroying free will which is the catalyst of LOVE. It would be evil to destroy love since love is mankind's greatest good. So evil cannot be destroyed, but it can be defeated with good.

I disagree. :) A free will that always freely chooses good, as God himself has, is free to love, yet effectively eliminates the problem of evil because though evil is still theoretically possible and existant, it never happens.

Of course, there remains the possiblity that God is outside the realm of logic, which governs everything in this universe, but that is a discussion for another day.

Cheers!

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
How?

As I said before, Lucifier's free will is flawed because Lucifer chose to envy God and thus commit the first sin in history, as detailed in the book of Genesis.

It's a tricky concept because one would expect a free will to be both capable of choosing good and choosing evil, so one may not see choosing evil as a flaw. Yet, God's own free will always and freely chooses good. Lucifer's free will is not at this state of perfection. A state short of perfection is a flawed state.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by avatar382
As I said before, Lucifier's free will is flawed because Lucifer chose to envy God and thus commit the first sin in history, as detailed in the book of Genesis.

So? How does that make his free will flawed?

It's a tricky concept because one would expect a free will to be both capable of choosing good and choosing evil, so one may not see choosing evil as a flaw.

Oh, choosing evil is a flaw all right, but the flaw you're describing doesn't lie in the free will itself, but in the exercise thereof. If a willed being didn't have the ability to choose good or evil, then it wouldn't exactly be free, now would it?

Yet, God's own free will always and freely chooses good. Lucifer's free will is not at this state of perfection. A state short of perfection is a flawed state.

What does perfection have to do with free will? If you can't support your premise, don't expect me to buy your conclusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.