Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman wrote:
In other words, when the possibility of a Supreme Being is rejected, there is nowhere else to go but down, or back, evolutionarily speaking, in search of a naturalistic explanation.
As a former computer programmer, I do not reject the use of the word "down" to describe going from a supernatural explanation to a naturalistic one. In programming, we have high level languages like Pascal, Fortran, and Java. Low level programming is the use of machine code -- the set of instructions that the processor uses. High level languages act as an intermediary between the programmer and machine code. Pascal, Fortran, and other high level languages are a bunch of easy-to-understand, easy-to-read commands that get transformed into machine code, and the programmer never has to be aware of the CPU's instruction set or machine code.

Supernatural explanations are like high level programming languages. They are a series of concepts that are EASIER TO UNDERSTAND than science. The believer never has to be aware of the science involved in how nature works. I know it's not what you had in mind, but I thought I should turn your attempt at a jab around.

There is nothing inherently “illogical” about a Supreme Being creating the universe, or creating species to inhabit this universe, or creating a continuum of consciousness among the species, regulated by brain size and/or complexity.
Then you're arguing for the God of the Gaps, then.

Theists may not be able to “prove” the existence of a Supreme Being to the satisfaction of the atheist, but neither can atheists prove that a Supreme Being does not exist, nor can atheists prove their own hyposthesis.
I prefer to think about it this way: We are not obliged in any way to believe in things for which there is no reasonable proof. The Loch ness Monster, Bigfoot, unicorns, and other mythical beasts -- heck, Zeus, Athena, Herecles, etc -- have no actual supporting data to affirm their existence. All are based on faith alone.
Atheism has merely erected a competing explanation; an explanation that becomes necessary when the possibility of a Supreme Being is denied. Natural selection is not a “better” explanation. Once the hypothesis of a Supreme Being is rejected, natural selection is, by default, the only “other” explanation.
I prefer to use William of Ockham's advise on this. natural selection and other scientific bodies of knowledge adequately explain the way things are. Since they consistantly and adequately explain what we once found impossible to understand witout God, what reason is there to believe in God? God is a more complicated explanation that, in the end, adds nothing to the big picture. If including God HELPED US UNDERSTAND science, then he would have some weight. Unfortunately, belief in God and the Bible does not even do a good job of explaning the scientific body of knowledge we have, except to say "well, god made everyting that way."

Neophyte

Sorry heusdens, I'm just a little fascinated by your opinions. If you don't want to engage in this dialogue just say so and I'll stop bugging you.......

*But* you wrote:

Originally posted by heusdens
Theists and theism only finds victims in people, who despite the evidence the world is realy there, doubt this existence, and want to find hope of "better worlds" beyond the known and only truthfull, realy existing world. We can however not find real comfort, hope or sitisfaction in imaginations of after-worlds, which puts us to the task making this world a better place for anyone.

Do you *really* believe that theists "doubt the existence of this world"? I think that's a stretch, don't you?

In this way theism deceives many that after having lead a miserable life, one can find "comfort" in an after-world. This is what theism is realy for, fool people that they would have to just "wait" for them to have a better place in heaven, and not take action in the only real world, for creating themselves a better place, for fighting poverty, exploitation, illness, and suffering.

Do you really believe that life is "miserable"? Sure, it has many tragedies and difficulties but it is also full of wonders.

Similarly, I am astounded that you believe theists believe what they do merely to find "comfort" in an afterlife - I am a theist, and I did not become one through any sense of "comfort" gained by belief in an afterlife. To the contrary, it is far from 'comforting' to believe that everything you do on this planet has dire consequences *in eternity*.

Neither has my belief induced me to laziness about social responsibility - to the contrary, it has made me more aggressive in this area.

Since there is only this world, and we have only this life, we are urged to reflect on it and act in it in a different way, even if that means struggling for your rights.

If we are merely 'food for worms' when we die, *how* does that urge us to reflect on this life and act in a socially responsible way? If nothing we do has consequences, (because when we die we will have to answer for nothing if there is no after-life), then we should have *less* incentive to do anything except what is in our own selfish interests.

For example, if I'm not accountable at the end of my life, then I should feel free to steal my neighbors land (if I can get away with it), use up resources for my own enjoyment, care not at all for those less fortunate than myself, and act only from my own self-interest. And I should feel free to do this with no pangs of conscience or guilt. Surely you recognize that even theists struggle for the rights of others.

Not every theist is the ignorant, selfish, wasteful, hypocrite you seem to be portraying.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman said:
It’s like PureX’s goofy example of a bicycle assembling itself. An evolutionist sees the bike, explains it down to the last nut and bolt, and says, “See? Here’s a bike and here are its parts and this is how it works. It’s obvious to everyone (but scientific illiterates) that the bike assembled itself.” It is your philosophy of science that is forcing you to conclude that the bike assembled itself. Yes, you are being "scientific," but you are not being “objective.” Has any theist ever suggested that God does not operate, in time, in His creation, “scientifically”? Are theists bending the rules of science to “prove” the existence of God? I don’t think so. Seems to me the only meaningful point of departure between “theistic” science and “atheistic” science (not that there actually is such a distinction) is the problem of origins.
First, let me apologise for calling you illiterate, and acting all high and mighty. I sometimes let it slip, and I'm sorry. You got me.

But PLEEEEEEASE don't turn this into a debate about evolution vs. creationism. It's an endless pit of discussion.

Creationists are self-contradictory. They have no problem accepting DNA, RNA, and how we have observed them working. They acknowledge that genes and mutations being passed through DNA from generation to generation passes traits from one generation to the next, and that variations occur. In other words, creationists have no problem with the very mechanism -- the engine of evolution -- DNA. They acknowledge everything that DNA does, which, by the way, is everything that evolution says about it. They even acknowledge that "MICRO-EVOLUTION", or variation within a species, is a reality.

But then they go on to say that "nobody ever found the mechanism that makes evolution happen." DNA is the mechanism. They acknowledge that it works, and is responsible for micro-evolution.

The only difference betwen MICRO-EVOLUTION (variation within the species) and macro evolution (speciation) is the time span that is involved. Variation within a species is a short term -- 1 to a dozen generations. Macro-evolution, which is what creationists have a problem with, is long-term -- hundreds of generations, even thousands.

Creationists deny macro evolution (which is only micro-evolution over a longer time span) because they will not accept that the world is older than 10,000 years -- despite the evidence that it is much older.

I need to go on record here, as reaffirming that in my opinion, Creationists are scientific illiterates and hypocrites. They want to redefine all of science to suit the single idea that the world is only 10,000 years old.

PureX

Originally posted by 1Way
Purex - I am glad to see you agree that certainty is a variable and does not necessarily mean an absolute certainty. .... You stated that nothing is certain,
I don't believe I said "nothing is certain". I may have said "nothing is certain for we human beings". And by this I meant nothing is "absolutely certain" (since as you point out, the word "certain" is relative, it would need the modifier "absolute"). Are you going to all this trouble to call me on this simple over-sight? And didn't you understand that this is in fact what I meant?
Originally posted by 1Way ...and so I demonstrated the contradictory nature of that claim. Happily, since then you have conceded that certainty is an issue of variance, so my entire rebuttal to your view is not applicable because it is not what you intended on conveying. However, my critique of the contradictory nature of a world without any certainty is still right, and your misunderstanding that my claim is instead that an uncertainty would preclude all knowledge is false. I am not saying that some uncertainty precludes knowledge, I am saying that a world where all things are uncertain precludes all true knowledge.
The world is neither certain nor uncertain. The world simply is. Certainty is a human value judgment, applied to our own intellectual presumptions, and is not an innate physical state. Likewise, "contradiction" is also a human value judgment, and is not an innate physical state, either, so the world can neither be contradictory nor uncertain. It's only our assessment of it that can become uncertain and contradictory ... or not.
Originally posted by 1Way You are very careless with the words you use and with the ideas presented to you. You should brush up on thinking.
This is both an over-statement, and the "pot calling the kettle black", but I'll overlook it since you overlooked my "pasty-faced white guy" crack.

PureX

Originally posted by Soulman
PureX said, as a way of explaining how life could emerge from non-life and consciousness could emerge from non-consciousness,

What would be really amazing is if a pile of dirt assembled itself into a bicycle, and after a million years the bicycle turned into a Harley.

Soulman
It did. The process took a really long time and a somewhat complicated and round-about path. But in the end, dirt did become a Harley.

heusdens

Originally posted by Neophyte
Sorry heusdens, I'm just a little fascinated by your opinions. If you don't want to engage in this dialogue just say so and I'll stop bugging you.......

*But* you wrote:

Do you *really* believe that theists "doubt the existence of this world"? I think that's a stretch, don't you?

Yes, in the way that for them appearently they do not find the explenations needed to fully understand the world within the world itself, so they go and want to find explenations for the world, outside the world itself, and seek for explenations that are not based on the world itself.

Let me use one example. A popular thought amongst theist is that the universe/the world would have to have a definite origin in time, and hence needs a "creation act" to exist in the first place. So as the first cause in the causality chain is then put this Deity, which itself exists in eternity.
A more reasonable explenation in my mind would be to argue that the world itself does not have a begin in time, which therefore does not invoke the need for a "creator".

Secondly, when we bring back the theistic arguments to the field of philosophy, we can concerning the fundamental issue in philosophy (the relation between mind and matter, or thinking and being) distinguish between two schools of thought.
- Materialism, which comes about the assumption that the world in first instance exists in the form of matter in eternal motion, and mind only secondary.
and on the other hand
- Idealism, which comes about the assumption that the world in first instance exists in the form of consciousness, thought, mind a fundamental principle or absolute idea, and only in secondary instance in the form of matter

So, acc. to Idealism the world has no material origin, and needs at first instance a fundamental principle or absolute idea. A Deity is just an example of such a fundamental principle or absolute idea.

This is to say that theists, while at one hand recognizing the fact that there is a material world, do not consider the material world to be there primarily, but instead assume that the world in first instance exist in the form of an eternal deity or fundamental principle or absolute idea.

This therefore means that theists in fact do not conceive of the fact that the world in first instance exists in the form of matter in eternal motion, and replace this with the concept of a Deity existing in eternity, which is the only absolute, and in which the material world, is just a "creation" of this Deity, which therefore does not have independend and objective existence.

Do you really believe that life is "miserable"? Sure, it has many tragedies and difficulties but it is also full of wonders.

Life miserable? No, the fact that we are alife, and that there is progression is a positive fact. Despite that, we have to recognize for the fact that the lives of millions of people are in one or more ways miserable, due to material circumstances and such.

Similarly, I am astounded that you believe theists believe what they do merely to find "comfort" in an afterlife - I am a theist, and I did not become one through any sense of "comfort" gained by belief in an afterlife. To the contrary, it is far from 'comforting' to believe that everything you do on this planet has dire consequences *in eternity*.

I should have perhaps stated that differently, at least it means that the "belief" in after-life and judgement, is a theist principle by which one should live ones life, such as to gain "comfort" or absence of "discomfort" in that afterlife. Or stated in more simple terms: people should live good lives, in order for them to go to heaven, or else hell will wait for them.

Neither has my belief induced me to laziness about social responsibility - to the contrary, it has made me more aggressive in this area.

I didn't imply that, I was just referring to that wether or not this is based on theism does not matter.

If we are merely 'food for worms' when we die, *how* does that urge us to reflect on this life and act in a socially responsible way? If nothing we do has consequences, (because when we die we will have to answer for nothing if there is no after-life), then we should have *less* incentive to do anything except what is in our own selfish interests.

We have the *knowledge* that even when we are gone, not all traces of that we lived will have faded, and second, we know that we will grow old, and when we will then look back, we know we will regret things we do or didn't do. All such moral things, I think, can prefectly well be explained from our human nature, without the need for a theistic explenation.

For example, if I'm not accountable at the end of my life, then I should feel free to steal my neighbors land (if I can get away with it), use up resources for my own enjoyment, care not at all for those less fortunate than myself, and act only from my own self-interest. And I should feel free to do this with no pangs of conscience or guilt. Surely you recognize that even theists struggle for the rights of others.

As you know, we all judge ourselves on the things we do and don't do, and we can never be "free" of such (self)judgements.
Since most people don't go out and steal, this means that people keep up moral values. These morals have come from society itself, which has promoted and dispromoted certain values, in order to regulare society. But society itself is not something static, which also means that moral values vary within societal context. Holding slaves in present days is considerd wrong, while in the ancient slave-holders society of the Greeks and Romans, this was no considerd wrong.

You are arguing from a one-dimensional perspective.
Of course we are selfish and act from the perspective of self-interest, but for societal reasons (our consciousness has developed in a society) we know such actions will be punished. Besides harming others isn't a very good strategy in life, cause it means others could harm you as well. if you behave bad to others, others will behave bad to you.
Helping others is a more succesfull strategy in fulfilling your own goals, since they might be inclined to help you out too.

Not every theist is the ignorant, selfish, wasteful, hypocrite you seem to be portraying.

I think I just made the point that being a theist in no way would imply them having the morals, they normally portray and promote or impose on others.

Last edited:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
PureX – Part 1

My whole entire discussion with you was based upon the assumption that you meant what you said about the world having no certainty (in knowledge), and that neither of us even mentioned “absolute” uncertainty. Now you want to blame or criticize me for not assuming you meant absolute certainty, you’re off your rocker. You said:
The world is neither certain nor uncertain. The world simply is. Certainty is a human value judgment, applied to our own intellectual presumptions, and is not an innate physical state. Likewise, "contradiction" is also a human value judgment, and is not an innate physical state, either, so the world can neither be contradictory nor uncertain. It's only our assessment of it that can become uncertain and contradictory ... or not.
That is your dubious understanding. And for the record, there is a difference between a human’s endeavor to estimate real life probabilities and the real life probabilities that exist. It’s much like the difference between saying you are PureX, and you are you. You are not a name, you are a person, substance and symbolism.

I say that fully apart from human value judgments, the world is in various states of certainty and probabilities, your “thus the world can neither be contradictory or uncertain” is wrong. Suppose that no human existed, which is more certain or probable to happen? (I could choice an infinite number of various examples, so please let this one suffice.)

A – A typical full grown healthy robin will attack and kill a full grown typical and healthy German Shepherd with it’s natural capabilities alone,
or
B – A typical full grown healthy robin will attack and kill a typical healthy worm?

A is virtually completely improbably, or not certain to happen, but B is almost absolutely certain and probable to happen. And this is true given that no human is even alive to make such an assessment of probability. The truth of the likely hood that some thing will happen or not is fully outside the reahlm of human value. it’s just a fact of life. Otherwise, if it was from human value, then I could simply suggest that I have a 100% chance of winning the state lottery tonight and thus because of my value on that situations probability, I would win the lottery that night. Which is nonsense foolishness, and is what you are trying to pass off as truth.

Part 2

As to the whole “certain” or “absolutely certain” issue, here is what was said.
1Way wrote:
Purex – As to
PureX wrote:
Soulman,

You said they claimed they couldn't know anything, and you were using that claim to imply they were fools. This was not true, however. They had only claimed they couldn't know anything with certainty, which is in fact true of all human beings. This is an important difference, and certainly doesn't make anyone a fool for being able to recognize it.

A fool might be someone who purposely tries to paint those who disagree with him as fools so as to make himself appear superior.
1Way wrote:
Not having read anything prior to this, and not knowing for sure you meant exactly what you said, I venture the following.

If you can’t be certain about anything, then you can’t “know” the “truth” anything.

And if uncertainty was true for everyone everywhere, then we could trust nothing and trust no one, because it would hold no certainty that it is true, in fact, it would be certain to be uncertainly true. ... Wow, I just discovered a contradiction.

A world could not exist without certainty, because then everything would certainly be uncertain, so at least that much would be certain, thus such a view is a logical contradiction and can not be true.

(Note, I didn’t say absolutely certain, and neither did you.)
If you previously did not intend to talk about variable certainties and only absolute certainties, then the beginning of this entire discussion would have been a “great” time to explain that!!!

Perhaps “you” have lots of extra time to blow on such time wasting efforts, I don’t.

Part 3

???

So, are you trying to say that there are no absolutes?

Or that mankind could not know any absolutes even if they existed?

???

And please, this time, say what you mean to say.

Last edited:

PureX

I am always astonished that there are people walking around who honestly can't differentiate between their idea of a thing, and the things themselves.

Originally posted by 1Way
PureX – Part 1I say that fully apart from human value judgments, the world is in various states of certainty and probabilities, your “thus the world can neither be contradictory or uncertain” is wrong. Suppose that no human existed, which is more certain or probable to happen?.....

It's an irrelevant question. Probability is a concept that exists in the human mind, that for the human quantifies the relationship between his knowledge and his ignorance. If no human existed, no conception of probability would exist, either. No calculation would take place, and no assessments would be made or acted on. The world will simply be what it is, as it always does. In fact there won't be a "world", because that, too, is an idea in the minds of men who know longer exist to have the idea.

The whole universe is a single event. We humans divide the event up into time, and space, and matter and energy IN OUR OWN PERCEPTION of it, and then we think these divisions are "real". We say "this is a hill" and "that's a valley", and we imagine that after we're gone they will still be hills and valleys. We don't realize that they were only hills and valleys in our own eyes. In reality they were always just a tiny part of the whole that we stuck some names on, because WE looked at that tiny part of the whole as being separate from the rest.

But it never was separate, and probabilities don't exist except as an idea in our minds. The universe isn't divided up into knowns and unknowns and chance and probability. WE are doing that. Once we're gone, these cetegories and definitions of the relationships between things are gone, too.
Originally posted by 1Way So, are you trying to say that there are no absolutes?

Or that mankind could not know any absolutes even if they existed?
I posted a little while back:

"My original point was that we human beings can't be absolutely certain that what we believe we "know" is true, is true. The reason for this is that we know that we don't know all that there is to be known, and because we don't possess ALL knowledge, we can't ever be sure how the knowledge that we don't possess would change or effect what we think we do know. Therefor, what we think we do know can never be fully assured. As long as we are not omniscient, we cannot be absolutely certain of anything." ....

.... "If one claims that absolutes absolutely do not exist, they are contradicting their own claim. And this is the argument people who believe in absolutes try so desperately to force relativists into making. But in fact relativists are NOT making that claim, and never were. A relativist CAN'T make that claim and be a relativist. All the relativist claims is that we can't know (with absolute certainty) if something is absolute or not. The claim "we can't know if absolutes exist" is not the claim "we know absolutes do not exist"."

I think you pounced on the fact that I inadvertantly left out the modifier " with absolute certainty" because you were hoping to make the former claim into the latter and so shout "Contradiction!". Which in fact you did.

But it seems to me that if you were reading the whole post, you would have understood it regardless of that small oversight.

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
Dave,

You said,
Consciousness is not a thing that lives inside of a brain.
Got it.
Consciousness is what the brain does.
Cool.
You're probably still using the old idea of consciousness that is a holdover from the 19th century and before -- the idea that consciousness is some ethereal, supernatural entity that dwells within us. That concept is invalid in the light of evidence from neurophysiology.
I admit I think of consciousness in terms of “self,” soul, personality, the inner dialog, self-awareness, a spirit first, if you will, inhabiting a temporary (more or less) body. If this is the “supernatural entity" to whom you refer, I refer to this entity as “me.” You are placing a bet on a highly debatable material reality; look, the more we learn about something, the deeper the water gets. You seem to know that. There will always be more to know, with no final answer. Knowledge always leads to more questions, not answers. It is almost inconceivable that man could milk the last drop of knowledge from the universe. The deeper the water gets, the more we know; the more we know, the deeper the water gets, and the deeper the water gets the more uncertain we become about anything we think we know. Your proof is the outer world, the measurable, quantifiable “stuff” of reality. A reality that, almost by definition, is impossible to know, even by your own standards.

Consider, on the other hand, that millions upon millions upon billions of all manner of peoples from every conceivable culture throughout the history of the world, the vast majority of all humankind, have placed a very different bet. Their bet is on the inner, if you prefer, spiritual reality, and the reality of a Supreme Being. You have the unfair advantage of making the rules by which reality is apparently to be tested. Knock on wood. More power to you. What you want – what you demand – is hard, physical evidence for a non-physical reality, a dimension of non-physical reality you share, ironically, so it’s pretty difficult for you to deny it. If we are communicating we are proving the existence of the existential, out of body, mind to mind spiritual reality of that inner world. (Do yourself a favor; whatever you do, when you think "spirit," don't think "religion.")

What do you call the “empty space” through which the transmission of a thought passes as it travels from one mind to another? What do we call the empty space between our ears? We are not simply physical beings, we are spirit beings. Spirit beings and physical beings. Not, either-or; both. We are spirit-mind and body. That’s what the vast majority of the human race has always intuitively believed. I don’t have to tell you this, but materialism is the minority position, which doesn’t PROVE anything; but, run the numbers. Statements of truth validating the existence of the spirit dimension and of a Supreme Being of one kind or another is the scientific norm.

You demand proof for something you know is impossible, a solution to a riddle containing a contradiction containing a loaded question, then declare yourself the winner. Kids like to play “made ya flinch!” You pretend to sock one of your pals, and if they flinch, which they almost always do, you sock ‘em a good one for real. Grown-ups play flinch, too. Like in here. It’s like, oh yeah? Take that! – hah, made ya flinch! So, I guess we’re all crazy. I guess the vast majority of the human race is just wrong. I guess, as has been already suggested, that intelligent, educated people living in the modern world who believe in a Supreme Being and the spirit dimension are just fools, illiterate, and believe in fair tales.

Write on the blackboard 500 times: “Consciousness is not a noun, it’s a verb.” Gotcha.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Soulman

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
Dave,

Now, for something completely different.
[An amoeba has no brain, yet seems to deliberately seek out and consume food.
I think I know that guy! Class of ’71?
The only people who have a problem with evolution are scientific illiterates.
Yes, that did hurt. Apology accepted. Okay, I was the one who made the crack about the tiny man.
(1) Do neurons create thought?
(2) Is consciousness a product of a working brain?
(3) Is it possible to have thoughts and memories without a brain?
(4) Are neurons and working brains NEEDED in order to have consciousness?
(1) Ummm…yes?
(2) What if the brain is only working part-time but looking for something better? Seriously, yes, I would say that consciousness is the product (that’s not a trick word, is it?) of a working brain.
(3) Could you repeat the question? Seriously, though, I wouldn’t think so, no.
(4) Why are you so hung up on work? Are you a workaholic? Are you unemployed? Why can’t the brain just lounge around some of the time, take it easy, put its feet up once in a while, enjoy? Again, seriously, yes, neurons AND working brains, if you insist, are needed in order to have consciousness.

How’d I do? Anything over a 75, please forward to me dear ol’ mudder.

Soulman

taxpayerslavery

Zakath's first mistake, on the question of God's existence, was requiring proof of God. What if almighty God has specifically set things up so that those who do not want to believe in him will be able to talk themselves out of his existence? To put it another way, what if God made sure that there is no irrefutable proof of his existence, on purpose?

He would still exist wouldn't he?

There is nothing unscientific about believing in something you cannot see directly or prove. The unscientific position would be to not believe in something just because you cannot see it. Germs existed in 1000 A.D. even though nobody had yet invented a microscope. God can still exist even though we have not yet invented a God-scope, which I think nobody will invent because God will not allow it as he requires faith. Since the mathematical odds are against the life by accident theory, the existence of a creator is the scientifically logical explanation. Atheists have faith, they have to in order to believe in evolution, it's just misplaced. Probably from a dislike of submitting to a higher authority.

I find it interesting that Zakath requires proof of God, which he sees every time he looks in the mirror, but does not require proof of the only alternate explanation of his existence - evolution. I know that he doesn't require proof of the only alternative explanation because there is no proof of evolution and Zakath has chosen not to believe in God. There is proof in the accuracy of the Bible, so why don't the proof seekers believe in that?

I also am amused by Zakath constantly complaining about disagreements among Christians as if that proves God doesn't exist. Man's fallibility is one of the things that the Bible tells us about. Every person that ever lived could be wrong about God and that wouldn't change whether or not he existed. If disagreement among believers proves the non existence of something, then Zakath has to believe in nothing, including evolution. Maybe this explains his aversion to absolutes.

It is almost as though Zakath resents that he has to have discernment in order to determine the right Christian sect rather than have the answer handed to him on a silver platter, along with proof of God, by a totally unified Christian church.

Jesus's life is the closest thing to proof Zakath is going to get. Lets see what the worlds foremost expert on evidence had to say about Jesus.

CONSIDER THE EVIDENCE

Simon Greenleaf is considered by many to be the greatest expert on evidence the world has ever known. Greenleaf, the Royal Professor of Law at Harvard during the latter half of the nineteenth century, has been praised universally for his knowledge. The London Times said that more light on jurisprudence had come from Greenleaf than from all the jurists of Europe combined. The chief justice of the Supreme Court said that Greenleaf's testimony is the most basic and compelling that can be accepted in any English-speaking court in the world. In other words, when it comes to the question of what constitutes evidence, Greenleaf's credentials are impeccable.
His one inviolable principle in his classrooms at Harvard was this: Never make up your mind about any significant matter without first considering the evidence. That was, and is, a very good rule to follow. Greenleaf was not a Christian. In fact, he was a Jew. He did not believe in Christianity. He did not believe in Christ. He did not believe in the resurrection.
One day, the subject of religion came up. This was not surprising to Greenleaf. He knew that law was based on ethics, and that ethics and morals are rooted in religion. A discussion of religion in a law classroom was as natural as dissecting a frog in biology. When the subject of Christ's resurrection came up, Greenleaf said he didn't believe in it. One bold student raised his hand and said, "Yes, Professor, but have you considered the evidence?"
Greenleaf was honest enough to admit to himself that he, indeed, had not. He was aghast. He has lost enough face to depopulate China, so he decided to undertake such an investigation.
He examined every thread of evidence he could find on Jesus Christ and, in particular, His proclaimed resurrection. Finally, Greenleaf wrote a book on his findings entitled The Testimony of the Evangelists, in which he considered the evidence presented by the writers of the four Gospels- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. His conclusion: If the evidence for Christ's' resurrection were presented to any unbiased jury in the world, they would have to conclude that Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead. Through the examination of such evidence, Greenleaf became a Christian.
Christianity, he said, demands no more evidence than is readily conceded to every branch of human science. He added, this same amount of evidence will not necessarily be interpreted in the same manner. In The Testimony of the Evangelists he quotes Bishop Wilson: "Christianity does not profess to convince the perverse and the headstrong, to bring irresistibly evidence to the daring and profane, to vanquish the proud scorner and afford evidence from which the careless and perverse cannot possibly escape. This might go to destroy man's responsibility. All that Christianity professes is to propose such evidence as may satisfy the meek, the tractable, the candid, and the serious inquirer."
Yet, Greenleaf goes on to say, fact is still fact and evidence is still evidence - regardless of it's "religious" source: "This is the question in all human tribunals in regard to persons testifying before them. We propose to test the veracity of these witnesses by the same rules and means which are there employed in our courtroom. The importance of the facts testified and the relations to the affairs of the soul in the life to come can make no difference in the principles and the mode of weighing the evidence. It is still the evidence of matters of fact, capable of being seen and known and related as well by one man as another."
Greenleaf concludes that Christianity is, in fact, the only evidential, historical religion in the world and that the Christian faith rests on evidence - evidence he found so compelling and so overwhelming that any honest person examining it with an open mind would, like himself, be inescapably drawn to accept it.

Notice that Greenleaf said only those without a prejudice against the truth of Jesus's resurrection would be convinced by the evidence.

We can see that Jesus was specifically trying to make sure that those who were not interested in God would miss what he had to say. When the apostles asked Jesus why he spoke in parables, here is what he said:

Matthew 13
"15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."

Notice that Jesus says they have closed their own eyes. Almighty God is not going to reveal himself to some spoiled brat creature on the spoiled brat creature's terms, i.e. prove yourself to me. Jesus specifically stated that those who require proof will not get it.

Matthew 12
"38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: "

When Jesus said that the only sign they would receive was that of the prophet Jonas, he was referring to his death and resurrection.

God puts up road blocks to test peoples faith. The gospel was designed by God to be an offense to those who don't believe.

1 Corinthians 1
"18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;"

Jesus came to divide the wheat from the chaff (believers from non believers). To separate those with little or no faith from those with faith. P.S. the chaff is going to be thrown into the fire. If it brings unity into the world, it is not the Gospel.

Luke 12
"51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."

If there is one thing that the Bible makes clear, it is that God requires faith. Having eyes to see and ears to hear is a result of being willing to accept truth. Zakath's hesitancy to agree that there is absolute truth reveals his deafness and blindness.

God has successfully set things up so that those who are not interested in him will not find him, and it is working perfectly, as can be seen by this debate.

Maybe the non believers can explain how the Bible, God's word, Has had over 1200 prophecies come true and never a false prophecy.

Unless you atheists can explain Jesus's resurrection and an ascension into heaven, seen by over 500 eye witnesses, don't forget that the resurrection was verified by the worlds foremost expert on evidence, then the scriptures that Jesus verified as true and reveal God's existence, stand.

To those of you who refuse to believe in God until you have proof, you are playing a dangerous game. Nobody talked about Hell more than Jesus. If you are wrong about not believing in God and Jesus, you will have eternally messed up. If I am wrong (which I'm not), I will have lived a life I loved full of God's love and grace encouraged and guided by the best book ever written (the Bible), never to know it was a sham since death would end my consciousness.
Even if you non believers go crazy and start killing us true believers, which has happened many times before, I will still die an honorable death of conviction, happy to do it for my Creator.

Zakath, nobody is going to be able to prove God to you. This does not mean God Doesn't exist. God has specifically set things up so that those who do not want to believe, will not be convinced. This way unbelievers do not have the reality of hell fire forcing them to accept God, free will is preserved. You have to come to God in faith by your own volition.

Last edited:

LightSon

Originally posted by PureX
...in the end, dirt did become a Harley.

dirt also became man. But in neither case (man, nor bike) did it happen without the benefit of an intelligent designer/creator.

LightSon

consciousness defined

consciousness defined

Originally posted by Psycho Dave
Consciousness is not a noun. It's a verb.

...consciousness is a verb, not a noun. We can create conscious machines -- not anything like a Mr. Data from star Trek, yet, but MIT's artificial intelligence lab has some pretty amazing things to show for it's decade of existence. Consciousness is not a PROPERTY OF MATTER. You don't just arrange atoms in a certain way, and BANG, it becomes conscious. Consciousness is a thing that a system of interconnected matter does, when it analyzes data, computes, and makes descisions about that data.

Theists consistantly leave out the number one cited reason why atheist don't believe in Gods. The number one reason why atheists do not believe in gods is "Because no reasonable evidence has ever demonstrated god's existence.

Not to wax pedantic, but unless you are proposing to redefine Consciousness according to your own liking, I think you are mistaken. Consciousness is clearly a noun.

From the Random House dictionary:
con·scious·ness (konÆshÃs nis), n.
1. the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
5. concern, interest, or acute awareness: class consciousness.
6. the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
7. Philos. the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.
8. raise one's consciousness, to increase one's awareness and understanding of one's own needs, behavior, attitudes, etc., esp. as a member of a particular social or political group.
[1625–35; CONSCIOUS + -NESS]

None of these definitions support your verb theory.

But to continue with your theory, it is regrettable that you try to reduce human consciousness to mere electrical feedback loops etc. I think you have confused Star Trek with reality. Mr. Data, for all his fictitious glory, is fantasy. Man is one of God’s highest creations. In this respect, our bodies are wonderfully made. You err and cheapen us by postulating that we are only physical. We are also spiritual and the workings of our spirit will doubtful be put under a microscope.

Creationists are self-contradictory. They have no problem accepting DNA, RNA, and how we have observed them working. .... They even acknowledge that "MICRO-EVOLUTION", or variation within a species, is a reality.

But then they go on to say that "nobody ever found the mechanism that makes evolution happen." DNA is the mechanism. They acknowledge that it works, and is responsible for micro-evolution.
Fine. Understanding DNA is a remarkable scientific byproduct and I have no problem accepting MICROEVOLUTION. It is observable.

The only difference between MICRO-EVOLUTION (variation within the species) and macro evolution (speciation) is the time span that is involved.
It follows that you must believe that time is the only difference. Sorry. You just made a leap of faith. With the exception of your godless thinking, there is no scientific reason to accept your macro-evolution-dogma. This missing link is still missing! Why do you suppose that is? macro-evolution is NOT observable, yet your bias is forces you to see what is not there.

Creationists deny macro evolution (which is only micro-evolution over a longer time span) because they will not accept that the world is older than 10,000 years -- despite the evidence that it is much older.
Evidence? If you can provide eyewitness testimony from older than 10,000 years, let's talk. Evolution is theory. It is religious dogma dressed up in scientific garb.

I need to go on record here, as reaffirming that in my opinion, Creationists are scientific illiterates and hypocrites.
Well at least you admit it is your opinion. I don't think you know what a hypocrite is. I am a creationist and there is no way you could level that charge against me without knowing my motives, and that I am in fact pretending in my assertions.

shima

tax: If I am wrong (which I'm not), I will have lived a life I loved full of God's love and grace encouraged and guided by the best book ever written (the Bible), never to know it was a sham since death would end my consciousness.

That rather depends on what is true. If Islam is true, then you will surely rot in hell along with the rest of the christians.

Greenleaf didn't know that the testimony in the bible is heavily biased towards Jezus as the Saviour, since this is what Paul set out to do. Jezus' disciples (those people who knew him the best) didn't think so, they say Jezus as the King of the Jews.

That the surviving testimony is of Paul and not of his disciples is worrying enough. Its like someone tries to testify who I am, but only met me twice in my adult life and had most of the stories from vague acquaintances. The most reliable testimony would come from my friends, and the people I spent so much time with. Greenleaf based his conclusion on the testimony of four people who had a vested interrest in giving their version of events.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman wrote:
I admit I think of consciousness in terms of “self,” soul, personality, the inner dialog, self-awareness, a spirit first, if you will, inhabiting a temporary (more or less) body. If this is the “supernatural entity" to whom you refer, I refer to this entity as “me.”
According to all the actual scientific evidence, including not just neurophysiology, but from actual practicing physicians, clinicians, and therapists, who diagnose, treat, and help patients recover from brain injuries, your "SELF" can be easily altered into a completely different "SELF" dependng on what parts of your brain gets injured. There is also a large volume of data from the study of twins that shows that a great deal of your personality, is actually GENETICALLY DETERMINED. Twins who were separated at birth and led separate lives were found and studied, and despite living in different parts of the country (or even different countries), with diferent family dynamics, they seemed to develop personalities, likes, dislikes, and preferences that were virtually identical, some eerily so. In some of the more dramatic cases, they dated women with the same names, preferred the same pet, which they gave the exact same names to, and had the same jobs. Just how much of what makes you "you" is still not fully determined, but a great deal of it is.

Who "YOU" are is most definitely a product of genetics, brain development, and life experience. When people get brain injuries, they can be altered so dramatically and so profoundly, that they become an entirely different person -- good people become mean and nasty, violent criminals become sweet and passive, and other things. Who you are is what your brain does. This is a scientific fact that is too well documented to be ignored. YOU are that lump of neurons in your skull. It's not pretty or elegant, but it's a truth that you would be very hard pressed to find any reasonable doubt to.
You are placing a bet on a highly debatable material reality; look, the more we learn about something, the deeper the water gets. You seem to know that. There will always be more to know, with no final answer. Knowledge always leads to more questions, not answers. It is almost inconceivable that man could milk the last drop of knowledge from the universe. The deeper the water gets, the more we know; the more we know, the deeper the water gets, and the deeper the water gets the more uncertain we become about anything we think we know. Your proof is the outer world, the measurable, quantifiable “stuff” of reality. A reality that, almost by definition, is impossible to know, even by your own standards.
I do not believe that I am playing a game or making a bet. I'm just collecting the facts.

I may not know all of the answers to everything in the universe, and I may not know as much about the brain as neurophysiologists, but i do know enough to know that what neurophysiologists have experimented on, what data they have collected, and what they have written in their journals. Along the way, I learned quite a bit about neurophysiology, and i know that there is simply no room for the PRIMITIVE notion of the soul or spirit in the light of neurophysiology. We have a physical, material explanation for virtually every aspect of thinking and consciousness, and many gaps in our knowledge are being filled every day.

Who knows more about how the brain works? A bunch of desert nomads from 5,000 years ago, who didn't even have science, or modern scientists who study the brain and experiment on it every day? I side with the modern scientists.

And don't think that the materialistic explanation for how the brain works somehow cheapens humanity, or makes us no better than bugs and rodents. I hate hearing that crap -- because it is crap. I can be just as awe-inspired (and am), amazed, and have reverence for that lump of flesh in everyone's head. It is fascinating and marvelous, and special, no matter how much of it is "just a bunch of neurons".
Consider, on the other hand, that millions upon millions upon billions of all manner of peoples from every conceivable culture throughout the history of the world, the vast majority of all humankind, have placed a very different bet. Their bet is on the inner, if you prefer, spiritual reality, and the reality of a Supreme Being. You have the unfair advantage of making the rules by which reality is apparently to be tested. Knock on wood. More power to you. What you want – what you demand – is hard, physical evidence for a non-physical reality, a dimension of non-physical reality you share, ironically, so it’s pretty difficult for you to deny it. If we are communicating we are proving the existence of the existential, out of body, mind to mind spiritual reality of that inner world. (Do yourself a favor; whatever you do, when you think "spirit," don't think "religion.")
Your argument is going down hill here. You're using a very thinly disguised Argumentum Ad Populi here -- the argument from popularity (this is where you argue that more people believe X than believe Y, therefore X is true).

Here's a few historical sidenotes shattering your assertion of majority rule on ideas:

(1) Christianity used to be a tiny minority view. IN the first century, the vast majority of the world was pantheistic. Actually, it still is a minority view. There are still far more Hindus and buddhists than Christians at the current time.

(2) Evolution used to be a minority view. Darwin was laughed out of the Royal Academy of Sciences, until the data started to favor him. Now the majority of scientists favor evolution, and it has practically been proven fact.

(3) The vast majority of scientists in the world used to believe in the steady-state theory. This was the idea that the universe was a piece of clockwork that has never changed, and will always be the same. The Big Bang theory was a minority view for decades, until new data came, and the world's scientists were convinced that big bang was the way to go (Those facts were the blue and red shifts, the discovery of cosmic background radiation, and the discovery of distant quasars)

Majority opinions change all the time.

On matters of science, I will side with the world's scientific experts over those of religious leaders and followers, any day.
What do you call the “empty space” through which the transmission of a thought passes as it travels from one mind to another?
If you read it, it's called ink on paper (or phosphors on a computer screen).

If you speak it, it travels as sound waves to the other person's ears in the form of vibrations.

If you use American Sign language, it is transmitted via visual gestures, and read by sight.

Then there's braille, and possibly other techniques.

there is no such thing as ESP, and that's a whole other discussion. Don't get me started.
What do we call the empty space between our ears?
Uh -- There is no empty space... at least not in my case. I'm not going to speculate on other people out of politeness...
We are not simply physical beings, we are spirit beings. Spirit beings and physical beings. Not, either-or; both. We are spirit-mind and body. That’s what the vast majority of the human race has always intuitively believed.
The majority of the human race once believed that the heart was the seat of the soul, of love, and intelligence. Read ancient literature. many people still use the heart as a symbol of love. Guess what. They were all wrong. The heart was just a blood pump, and love is what goes on in your brain.

It does not matter what the majority of non-scientists and lesser-educated people believe. Scientific facts are not based on majority opinion polls. They are based on data and research.
I don’t have to tell you this, but materialism is the minority position, which doesn’t PROVE anything;
It may not prove anything, but it sure has a lot of logical, rational, scientific data to support it, which is something that spirits and souls do not have. Spirits and souls have never risen above the level of superstition.
but, run the numbers. Statements of truth validating the existence of the spirit dimension and of a Supreme Being of one kind or another is the scientific norm.
Uh -- I'm going to call your bluff here, because I have never seen a single piece of scientific data that validates the existence of spirits, souls, supreme beings, or a "spiritual dimension". Sure -- I've read articles witten by religious peple that try to prove otherwise, but they always present the god-of-the-gaps (They pick a currently little understood subject, point to gaps in knowledge, and say "God did it!")

If you want me to take your statement seriously, please provide me with a link of scientific "facts" that "validate" spirits, the supernatural, and god.
You demand proof for something you know is impossible, a solution to a riddle containing a contradiction containing a loaded question, then declare yourself the winner.
I do the same thing to people who believe in Alien Abductions, UFO visitations, Bigfoot, Psychic powers, and other stuff. Either provide proof, or concede that it's just something you accept on faith alone.
Kids like to play “made ya flinch!” You pretend to sock one of your pals, and if they flinch, which they almost always do, you sock ‘em a good one for real. Grown-ups play flinch, too. Like in here. It’s like, oh yeah? Take that! – hah, made ya flinch! So, I guess we’re all crazy.
No. Only the ones who think they're possessed by demons, who handle snakes, who speak in tongues, and who blow up OBGYN clinics are.
I guess the vast majority of the human race is just wrong.
It has been wrong before. It will be wrong again. Science and fact is not a matter of popular opinion.
I guess, as has been already suggested, that intelligent, educated people living in the modern world who believe in a Supreme Being and the spirit dimension are just fools, illiterate, and believe in fair tales. Write on the blackboard 500 times: “Consciousness is not a noun, it’s a verb.” Gotcha.
I never said that.

I would suggest that people who believe in the supernatural are not necessarily stupid, uneducated, or foolish. They just place more emphasis on faih and tradition, and believe strongly in traditional religious values. There is nothing inherently wrong or stupid about it. It's just something that is inapproprate to mix with science.

RogerB

Originally posted by PureX
Well, if the parts are different types of molecules, with different properties, instead of bicycle parts, and they're all flowing and jostling around together in the same air or water environment, sooner or later they will combine in whatever ways they are able. They will combine to become more complex substances than they were as individual bits. Then those more complex substances will do the same with others, and on and on. This is how such complex and "amazing" structures such as living creatures with conscious brains can happen.

Given enough time, chance will express every possibility.

You honestly believe this? :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle:

PureX

Originally posted by LightSon
dirt also became man. But in neither case (man, nor bike) did it happen without the benefit of an intelligent designer/creator.
I know you believe that, but you can't prove it. And for the moment, anyway, science can't prove otherwise.

PureX

Originally posted by RogerB
You honestly believe this? :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle: :ha: :chuckle:
This, from someone who thinks "magic" did it?

PureX

Originally posted by taxpayerslavery
Zakath's first mistake, on the question of God's existence, was requiring proof of God............
That was an awful lot of text just to say that you can't prove God exists. I think it's a bit self-centered, though, to then claim that Zak made a "mistake" by insisting on proof. If you can't prove God exists, you can't prove Zak made a mistake asking for proof, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.