Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Soulman

Except that your “dilemma” has no affect on the absolute absoluteness of God, unless you’re suggesting that God has the ability to render Himself non-absolute, in which case your argument is not a dilemma, it is a riddle.
Soulman

My dilemma has everything to do with the "absolute" absoluteness of God.
You can precede God's existence with the terms "ultimate" or "absolute" ad infinitum, this makes the concept no more coherent.

Yes, it's a riddle ---- yet only a riddle if you obtusely adhere to the concept of God!

Last edited:

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
Quip quipped,
You can precede God's existence with the terms "ultimate" or "absolute" ad infinitum, this makes the concept no more coherent.
No one's asking you to precede God with anything. I’ll say it again: “There is no standard of absoluteness anterior to God, in position or time.” NOTHING preceded God’s existence. NOTHING precedes God, in position or time, not the terms “ultimate” or “absolute” or anything else. Prior to the creation of the space-time continuum, all there was was God. There was nothing BEFORE God, so the expression "you can precede God..." doesn't follow.

Soulman

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman wrote:
I heard you. With a complex enough brain, self-consciousness “appears” or “awakens” from previously unconscious gray matter.
No, you don't understand. ANY grouping of neurons with sensory input has a certain level of consciousness to it. Thought and consciousness are DRIVEN by sensory input.
You don’t like my cylinder analogy, but what’s wrong with it?
It ignores complexity and organization. You can put as many cylenders into a car as you want, but no matter what, all you're gonna end up with is a faster car -- not a more compelx one, or one that can think.

You can have a large brain, but wihtout more complex organization, it's just a bigger brain. For example, take our flippered pals, the dolphins. They are VERY intelligent. We do not even know the limits to their intellect yet, but we are sure of one thing -- they are very intelligent. Their larger brains do not give them technology. Their larger brains do not give them philosophy, writing, or music. But consider this -- we have no sonar. Our ability to hear underwater is limited, as is our ability to see underwater. The Dolphin's larger brain has EXTRA SENSES that we don't -- Sonar, underwater vision, and underwater hearing. They have the ability to understand language. they are self-aware. Experiments have proven this.

Larger brains are not necesarily smarter or "more conscious".
If it gets enough neurons firing, a brain can self-generate self-consciousness.
That's an absurd oversimplification. Self-consciousness has more to do with how an organism PERCEIVES itself in relation to everything else. Apes are self-conscious. Ever hear of the experiments done with babies and mirrors? Babies do not understand that their reflection in a mirror is themselves until they're around 6 months old. This is because their brains have no yet developed the ability to understand that the mirror is their own image. Their brains continue to grow and expand for 18 years, and even after 18 years (and right up until death) the brain acquires new information and concepts. Apes, at the age of a couple fo years, understand the mirror is themselves. This is an important thing, because it means that their concept of self is almost the same as humans.

It's not a question of how many neurons.
It's a question of organization, complexity, and conceptual learning.
This is a retread of the spontaneous regeneration argument: Consciousness and mind “appears” where consciousness did not previously exist.
That's not what I said. That is how you tried to reinterpret it. What I said was that all brains are conscious at some level -- and it depends on things like how complex their sensory inputs are, and how much brainpower is required to interpret all the information from more sensitive organs. All the brain's systems are interconnected, and work together to make descisions on what to do about the input data. This process is called thinking, and consciousness is what thinking creates. If an animal reacts to it's environment, it is conscious. "self aware" is a difficult matter. We can't really judge it in other animals, except in the case of apes, whom we have developed communication with. Apes are self-aware, and can explain their feelings and emotions, albeit in a very limited vocabulary.
But what does “consciousness” and the capacity for abstract thought ADD to the biological form?
More ability to survive. More consciousness means more awareness, and more awareness is a survival advantage. If you are more aware of your surroundings, it's more difficult for enemies to sneak up on you, and easier for you to sneak up on others. it also gives you the ability to plan things out ahead of time, and to speculate on possibilites.
Man as a species doesn’t “require” abstract thought to be successful, any more than a fly requires abstract thought to be successful.
We don't REQUIRE abstract thought to be successful, any more than we need red hair or blue eyes. We simply have it, and we use it for our advantage. We don't require it -- but it helps.
Is evolution in the habit of including extra bells and whistles such as “self-consciousness” when a stripped down, instinct-driven model will do the job?
Yes. Evolution gave us peacock feathers and multi-colored baboon butts. It gave us short-curly afro-hair, and long, fine hair. It gives some of us 6 fingers and some of us vestigial tails. These bells and whistles appear, often without any use at all, until the environment changes, or a migration to a new environment, and suddenly they have a use. Your poor understanding of how natural selection works may explain the weakness of your analogy
Can you imagine man without self-consciousness? I can.
I can too. In fact, mental wards are full of them -- some have brain injuries, while others were lobotomized on purpose. I think you will agree that in most cases, these people are incapable of survival without long-term care from others.
Would you agree that self-consciousness is not “necessary” for man’s survival?
That all depends on how robust your definition of "self conscious" is. I prefer to use the term consciousness to describe what a brain does when it thinks and responds to it's environment, and "self aware" to describe the complex conceptual understanding of knowing the difference between one's self and a mere image or reflection of one's self, and how that self fit into a larger group of other individuals. I'm not even sure if that's a good enough description.
Yet, there it is. A perk, an add-on, a happy accident, but, evolutionarily speaking, superfluous.
But a darn useful one.

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
PureX,

(re-reading some old posts)

I said atheists were guessing and you said atheists were only “uncertain” and I said being uncertain is guessing and you bothered to say, “welcome to the human condition,” which seems a little cavalier. What exactly were you objecting to since you now appear to agree that guessing and being uncertain is the same thing?

Soulman

quip

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Soulman
Quip quipped,

No one's asking you to precede God with anything. I’ll say it again:
Soulman

Sorry, I was unclear on that: I was referring to your statement: "…..absolute absoluteness of God" -- in other words you can place the word 'absolute' in front of "…..absoluteness of God "ad infinitum and it is still an incoherent concept.

Your claim that there is nothing anterior to God simply illustrates the dilemma.

My point is -- If God does exists we can have no absolute knowledge that he does indeed exists nor the nature of this "existing" God. If this is the case, then no one belief (or lack thereof) towards any specific "god"(s) hold superior to another belief.
Furthermore, any claims of absolute morality, good or evil acts......etc.. (even the concepts themselves) are by this definition, meaningless to be defined as absolutes.

Therefore, having faith in any particular belief holds no more incorporeal significance than the type of car you choose to drive.

PureX

Soulman,

You said they claimed they couldn't know anything, and you were using that claim to imply they were fools. This was not true, however. They had only claimed they couldn't know anything with certainty, which is in fact true of all human beings. This is an important difference, and certainly doesn't make anyone a fool for being able to recognize it.

A fool might be someone who purposely tries to paint those who disagree with him as fools so as to make himself appear superior.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Zakath – As to
Let me review my point, one more time. I'll use short words so you'll understand my point this time.

1. This is a debate on the existence of deity, not the origins of the universe. I am not going to explain how everything got here.

2. Re-read the posts. I think you'll see that ad hominems are flowing freely from both sides.
1 – Fine. But you do have faith in something for the existence of the world, don’t you? And if it’s aliens or some rather unscientific or contradictory theory, or something that is beyond your understanding, then just say so. From my understanding, without a creator, the universe is more than a mystery, it’s a contradiction to hard science. But then again, I don’t believe in perpetual motion machines and that something can come from nothing.

2 – I am including or perhaps highlighting your attitude you are presenting here in this thread. You have a large amount of personal slam and are somewhat thin on concrete argument. For you to criticize Bob for not understanding your points is quite a mistake, and the fact of your missing his points rather completely makes you look quite the fool, especially while claiming your points may be beyond Bob’s comprehension.

I hope you will focus on the content offered, and try to understand it “prior” to responding.
Your attitude merely serves to demonstrate my point. Your preconceptions would blind you to anything I wrote, no matter how well presented.
Not true. I haven’t even broached the topic of the content of any of your points. We are a bit alike, in that it is much easier to criticize, than to positively lead and teach and persuade. It’s the old destruction is an easier process than building idea.

But as to your first point, I hope you are not suggesting that we should eliminate the areas of discussion that directly impact the answer to the question, does God exist. As you know, the God that Bob is referencing, is the God of the Bible (although he is not gone that far yet), and one of God’s most common calling cards says that He created the universe, and that the universe declares Him, and that all who has lived has known rather significant aspects of who God is by the evidence provided by the created universe. So the evidence that the universe provides may help to substantiate God’s claims that He is the creator of the world. After all, we can’t just get in our car and travel to God’s place and ask Him directly if He exists or not. :eek: No one is claiming that God is provable beyond the shadow of any doubt, like trying to prove that television works in America, so touching on the most verifiable claims of God’s existence, such as Him being the creator of the entire world, is an important and highly approachable issue. I give credit to the sciences as a means for discovering truth, so I don’t dismiss science out of hand just because it doesn’t explain everything completely and absolutely.

Also, no one is saying that you can’t disbelieve in God. Obviously you can, and quite apparently, you do. So we have to move beyond what you and I “think” is true, we have to venture beyond ourselves in order deal with the issue of the existence of God, a topic that is manifestly beyond ourselves. A child can say, food comes from the grocery store, but the grown up person knows better, not because he particularly saw all of the food being elsewhere nurtured and protected and grown and harvested and processed and packaged and delivered and stocked and shelved, etc. But because we are reasonable rational beings, and we understand the various processes of life through our reasoning and experience even though we were not there when it happened, we conclude quite rationally that the food does not originate from the stores, and we know where it came from instead. (That is, if you are a reasonable and rational person, and not like an ignorant child.)

So if you don’t know the origin of the universe or life, or how self-consciousness or love could originate, then just deal honestly with the apparent lack of understanding and say you don’t know. Don’t make Bob play twenty questions just to get to the bottom of your response to his line of questioning.

We can know significant things even though we see some things dimly for the time being.
"I don't know," is a valid response, even if it's not one you wish to hear.
Not at all, I’d much rather hear you humbly admit ignorance than to claim for example to understand what Bob has been saying in ways that are quite different than what he has said. You did not say, I don’t know to several of Bob’s questions, instead, as Bob has been recording for posterities sake, you have avoided several questions, and this aversion is somewhat of a pattern and may be growing. That is why I am being critical.

“Fear” of the line of reasoning presented to “you”. Bob is presenting his position for why one should believe that God exists. It totally up to you to thoughtfully consider his presentation and respond accordingly, or to dismiss what he has said out of hand without treating it with a direct response. I “could” go back and count your aversions to Bob’s points and direct questions, but Bob has been keeping track of this quite well on his own.

As to why I think you are being so aversive. Frankly, I don’t think you did it on purpose, , , I’m going to take a risk here, hoping that you will accept what I have to say strictly in the way I present it and not otherwise. I think you are willfully lazy, you don’t want to deal with the evidence provided before you, because it is much easier and far less disturbing for you to not honestly deal with the evidence for the existence of God. After all, if you are wrong, you would have made yourself into the grossest mockery, apparently starting out on God’s side, and then turning against Him and even believing that He doesn’t exist. You should be able to admit it, that if you were somehow converted back into faith in God, the level of treachery and treason you would feel in and for yourself would be , , , tremendous and probably quite terrible. But of course, if you previously knew God’s gracious forgiveness and how we do nothing to deserve His mercy and forgiveness, then such pain would be cured in time. You have quite a bit of personal investment at stake, which makes your level of objectivity,,, suspect, especially since your behavior indicates a reluctance to face the matter without scrambling it up.

I think it would be great if you were a bit more thoughtful and amiable. If a term or concept is too vague for you, then clarify, if you aren’t sure about the focus of Bob’s point, then ask for clarification before you assume wrongly. Etc. etc. etc.

Oh, I noticed you responded to heusdens in follow up to our discussion.
OK. It is strongly connected, but not essential to demonstrating the existence of deity.
If you are going to be rational, you should not dismiss an entire area of information prior to understanding it.

You come home, you find a package on your door step, now, you could predetermine that the package came from nowhere, that noone delivered it, noone created it, noone thought of giving it to you in the first place. And, if you had an invested interest in the belief that it somehow came into existence and delivered itself, by itself, then no one could convince you of the truth of the matter, if you were that closed minded. However, a reasonable person would consider the fact that things don’t come from nothing, and that the package is utterly wrought with design and intellectual purpose, and after considering the many delivery services, and the likelihood that the package had an origin and a creator, etc, one would rationally determine that the box appeared sometime in the past because of these reasonable evidences and presumptions.

Trust me, nothing comes from nothing, and if you are the first person to discover the perpetual motion machine, you will really make the news! :bannana:

ZroKewl

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by 1Way Trust me, nothing comes from nothing...
... except the universe that God created, right? And, since all known scientific laws break down at a quantum singularity, "nothing" might just be able to come from "nothing" for various definitions of "nothing".

--ZK

1Way

Purex – As to
Soulman,

You said they claimed they couldn't know anything, and you were using that claim to imply they were fools. This was not true, however. They had only claimed they couldn't know anything with certainty, which is in fact true of all human beings. This is an important difference, and certainly doesn't make anyone a fool for being able to recognize it.

A fool might be someone who purposely tries to paint those who disagree with him as fools so as to make himself appear superior.
Not having read anything prior to this, and not knowing for sure you meant exactly what you said, I venture the following.

If you can’t be certain about anything, then you can’t “know” the “truth” anything.

Given that you stated what you understand to be true, your not being dishonest on purpose. So, by saying that your (above quoted) statement is true, necessarily caries with it a claim of certainty. If not, if we had no certainty in what you claimed to be true, then everything you said would be subject to error and lies and mistakes, in fact, you might have actually said the exact opposite of what you said and not even know it, since nothing is certain, that might be true, it might not.

And if uncertainty was true for everyone everywhere, then we could trust nothing and trust no one, because it would hold no certainty that it is true, in fact, it would be certain to be uncertainly true. ... Wow, I just discovered a contradiction.

A world could not exist without certainty, because then everything would certainly be uncertain, so at least that much would be certain, thus such a view is a logical contradiction and can not be true.

(Note, I didn’t say absolutely certain, and neither did you.)

BTW, is that a recent picture of yourself or not? If so, your complexion looks a little off color, I hope you are not ill. :crackup:

Last edited:

1Way

ZroKewl -
... except the universe that God created, right? And, since all known scientific laws break down at a quantum singularity, "nothing" might just be able to come from "nothing" for various definitions of "nothing".
No, the universe was not created from nothing. God, which is something (He is not nothing) created the universe by and through Himself. If there ever was nothing but nothing, then there always would be nothing, that’s the point. There necessarily had to be something in existence from eternity past, otherwise there would never be anything at all.

No one and nothing that is created is greater than the creator.

So for the creation (including mankind) to dismiss his creator is contradictory nonsense. Imagine you created a software program, it’s an AI program like a game, like a robot program and everyone can program their robot to respond in different ways. And then imagine that these robots wised up so to speak and declared to each other their own independence, they decided that they owed nothing of their existence to you, but somehow came into being in a way that they can’t even conceive. Their very existence, their design and purpose was completely created by you, and in many ways reflect who you are because of your preferences and idiosyncrasies, but they disagree and claim that you did not create them, they are not any sort of extension of who you are. You point out that they only live in the computer, they are not able to do what you did, type on the keyboard and create a new program that previously only existed in your mind.

So, which claim of the software robots existence is true, yours or theirs? :D

Last edited:

1Way

All - Please understand, although I really enjoy these discussions and debates, I have very limited time here. “Over the road” truck driving (typically gone about 5.2 days per week) consumes vast quantities of my time. Thanks in advance for understanding, and I’m looking forward to your responses despite not being able to spend as much time here as I would like. I carry my computer with me, and sometimes I get online while on the road, but that rarely works out like I'd like it to.

PureX

Originally posted by 1Way If you can’t be certain about anything, then you can’t “know” the “truth” anything.
We can know lots of things. We just can't be certain that what we "know" about them is absolutely true. The problem is that many of us presume we are absolutely certain that what we know is true because we don't really test our own assumptions. We just assume that a high probability = a certainty, when it doesn't. Ultimately, the state of certainty is an infinite state. And as finite beings we will not be able to ascertain or varify an infinite state. Certainty may exist, but we wouldn't be able to tell.
Originally posted by 1Way Given that you stated what you understand to be true, your not being dishonest on purpose. So, by saying that your (above quoted) statement is true, necessarily caries with it a claim of certainty.
No it doesn't. Truth as a concept exists relative to untruth. We can't conceive of or even recognize one without the other. Therfor, at least for we humans, truth is always relative. Otherwise it becomes invisible, or moot. A truth that is only true relative to itself is meaningless, and a truth relative to anything else is a relative truth. Because of the limitations of our finite human perception, all truth is relative to us.
Originally posted by 1Way If not, if we had no certainty in what you claimed to be true, then everything you said would be subject to error and lies and mistakes, in fact, you might have actually said the exact opposite of what you said and not even know it, since nothing is certain, that might be true, it might not.
We do not possess certainty, except through fantasy. But we do have the ability to assess probability. And in fact this is how we live our lives, and make our decisions ... by assessing the greatest probable outcome of an action, and then acting on that assessment.
Originally posted by 1Way And if uncertainty was true for everyone everywhere, then we could trust nothing and trust no one, because it would hold no certainty that it is true, in fact, it would be certain to be uncertainly true. ... Wow, I just discovered a contradiction.
You are using irrational extremes to play the fool. Think about why you do almost everything you do in a day, and you will soon see that you are not certain about the outcome of any of your actions (if you are honest), yet you will use the probability of outcomes to make all your decisions. Some of the probabilities will be so extremely high as to appear as being almost certain. But even then, if you consider it honestly, you will see that it's not possible for you to ever really be certain.
Originally posted by 1Way A world could not exist without certainty, because then everything would certainly be uncertain, so at least that much would be certain, thus such a view is a logical contradiction and can not be true.

(Note, I didn’t say absolutely certain, and neither did you.)
The word "certainty" defines an infinite. It's "absoluteness" is implied by it's own definition.
Originally posted by 1Way BTW, is that a recent picture of yourself or not? If so, your complexion looks a little off color, I hope you are not ill. :crackup:
That's the mask I wear when I'm about to go out hunting pasty faced white boys who play silly word games to promote their own willful ignorance. *smile*

pab123

At least Zakath is starting to address the issues now instead of playing games. Hopefully, he'll continue to do so. When one side makes a point, the debate can be much more productive if the other side addresses the evidence instead of attacking the questions with word games.

Zakath has certainly gained ground at this point, although there is still problems with his argument. My understanding is that he needs to *prove* there *is no god* & Bob needs to *prove* there *is a god*. Zakath has now argued that there are areas in science we aren't yet familiar with, so Bob "fills in the gaps" by saying surely "God did it". Doesn't he realize that he's using the same argument, saying that since there's areas of science we aren't familiar with then surely "God didn't do it"? By Zakath's own argument, we *don't know* how the universe came about, so why is he arguing against God? If we *don't know* how the universe came about, then he *can't* know if there is or isn't a god. So, instead of calling himself an atheist, he should say he's an agnostic. There's still time left, so maybe he can still produce proof God doesn't exist, then he can rightfully call himself an athiest. (Unless he wants to continue calling himself an atheist firmly denying something based on the evidence "we don't know").

Although Zakath has gained ground, Bob is still winning this debate since he's presented more convincing evidence pointing toward the existence of God than Zakath has against God.

JOHN_IGNATIUS

Thumbs down for Bob

Thumbs down for Bob

LOL

Just read Bob's latest.

As I suspected, Zak broke him with the "god of the gaps" post. Bob has nowhere to go and is trying to return to "what is truth" again.

This was the first post of Bob's that I was not impressed with. It was weak.

Ahh, come on Bob. Can you not prove that the Christian God is God?

Last edited:

1Way

PureX -
The word "certainty" defines an infinite. It's "absoluteness" is implied by it's own definition.
Certainty does not define an infinite, it’s not part of it’s definition. Neither is absolute for that matter. We could get “artistic” and say that certainty defines uncertainty since all things that are uncertain are certainly uncertain. But that would be rather unproductive.

My understanding of the word “certain”, or “certainty”, is that it is a variable, just like the word you used, “probability”. Some things are more or less “certain”; and some things are more or less “probable”. I thought that I sufficiently clarified this by saying that we did not say “absolutely certain”.

I was not using irrational extremes to play the fool. I simply applied your own concept to see if it is viable or not and found that it denies itself.

A world with no certainty would certainly mean that there would be nothing certain, yet we supposedly just established one certainty, which is that everything is uncertain. But everything can not be uncertain if one thing is certain. So that view can’t be true since there would be at least one certainty as the foundation for this world where everything is uncertain, so this view is self-contradictory and thus cannot be true.

Again, you can have no knowledge if everything is uncertain.

(BTW, “pasty faced white boys”, I took your joke as a joke, but I also took the gratuitous racial slurs as gratuitous racial slurs and then wondered, do you support or oppose racially based animosity and hatred? Do use your own personal influence (like your avatar and words) to commonly raise racially motivated pejoratives?

Last edited:

1Way

JOHN_IGNATIUS – The whole “God of the gaps” idea is little more than a fallacious claim. How about instead of predetermining that faith in God is foolishness, like presupposing that if we can’t explain it, then God did it, and instead, objectively examine what Bob is actually presenting for why the Christian faith is based upon rational faith and substantial evidence.

Bob has no where to go? Wake up, in every post Bob has been progessing his position and informing you of the areas he’d like to cover next. What has been slowing down the debate is that Zakath has been avoiding some of Bob's direct questions and points. Someone needs to inform Zakath that this debate is not a game of 20 questions.

Zakath has misunderstood several of Bob’s points/questions, and in the case of the "conscience" and "absolute standard of righteousness" issue, Zakath utterly confounded the two in contradiction to what Bob actually said, somehow imagining that Bob suggested that absolute morality comes from the human conscience and not from an eternal God.

Oh ya, he also misunderstood Bob's use of conditions (cases) which attend every moral consideration, and the idea of an absolute righteous standard. Zakath preposterously proposed that Bob’s standard of right and wrong can not be absolute since it is a conditional precept. In so doing Zakath confounded an object with the subject, and he also confounded the separate meanings of the word “condition” one meaning “case or scenario”, and the other meaning roughly “not absolute”.

These are not laughable mistakes; these are amateurish blunders demonstrating startling incompetence.

Also, now that I think of it, the level of ignorance it would take to misunderstand that point the way he did, is rather remarkable, especially given Zakath’s supposed prior “Christian” background training.

Last edited:

Ash1

debate

debate

As expected, Bob has presented much stronger, detailed, organized, and abundant arguments for his position than Zakath has. Zakath's only mildly good argument is the 'God of the Gaps' one. He seems to be desperately clinging to it so I think Bob should take a post to address it thoroughly.

It annoys me when atheists say they're 'unbelievers' and 'have no faith', because they certainly do have a faith. Zakath has, honestly, made it very clear that he has no answers for how complex biological systems, human conscience, and so many other things could have come about by accident through strictly natural process. This shows that he has a hope, a faith that somehow someday fundamental laws of the physical sciences will be found to have been radically misinterpreted and that complexity and matter CAN spring up on its own from nothing.

It would be more rational to believe that a Spiderman comic or tricycle with the words 'Junior's Trike' written on it sitting in the desert
would someday be proven to be the result of random natural process. Sure, some say they were created, but science will eventually fill in the gaps!

By the way Zakath, why do you have a smiley face icon drinking a nice glass of motor oil on your posts?:think:

EA
Japan

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman wrote:
No one's asking you to precede God with anything.
And what proof can you offer to back this claim up? The Bible?
I’ll say it again: “There is no standard of absoluteness anterior to God, in position or time.”
Is that confirmed by Stephen Hawking, or is that just your assertion?
NOTHING preceded God’s existence. NOTHING precedes God, in position or time, not the terms “ultimate” or “absolute” or anything else.
So how do you KNOW this? How can you show it's more than a mere assertion on your part?
Prior to the creation of the space-time continuum, all there was was God. There was nothing BEFORE God, so the expression "you can precede God..." doesn't follow.
Like I asked earlier -- does Hawking agree with your assessment? And how do you back that up, because it realyl does enter the realm of physics, which I'm sure you know little about reletive to the rest of us.

heusdens

Originally posted by pab123
At least Zakath is starting to address the issues now instead of playing games. Hopefully, he'll continue to do so. When one side makes a point, the debate can be much more productive if the other side addresses the evidence instead of attacking the questions with word games.

Zakath has certainly gained ground at this point, although there is still problems with his argument. My understanding is that he needs to *prove* there *is no god* & Bob needs to *prove* there *is a god*. Zakath has now argued that there are areas in science we aren't yet familiar with, so Bob "fills in the gaps" by saying surely "God did it". Doesn't he realize that he's using the same argument, saying that since there's areas of science we aren't familiar with then surely "God didn't do it"? By Zakath's own argument, we *don't know* how the universe came about, so why is he arguing against God? If we *don't know* how the universe came about, then he *can't* know if there is or isn't a god. So, instead of calling himself an atheist, he should say he's an agnostic. There's still time left, so maybe he can still produce proof God doesn't exist, then he can rightfully call himself an athiest. (Unless he wants to continue calling himself an atheist firmly denying something based on the evidence "we don't know").

Although Zakath has gained ground, Bob is still winning this debate since he's presented more convincing evidence pointing toward the existence of God than Zakath has against God.

The reasoning here is flawed. Although we don't know the entire material history of the universe, and can never know this in all it's entirity (since the history has no begin), this does not imply that 'anything could have happened', even the 'impossible'.

The fact is this. God is defined just as a fundemental principle or absolute idea, which is to say that it does not have any objective existence. Principles and ideas are abstractions from reality, and only exists in the mind.

The theistic idea is that the universe was 'caused' by an 'outside act'. Since we know of no origin of the universe, the theistic idea is put in as a "possible explenation", even if such an assumption is and can not be based on any physical theory or property of matter.

The flaw in reasoning is that when the situation is this, that we don't know something specific about the history of the universe prior to a specific time, this does not mean that 'magic' (creation acts outside of time, space and matter) to have occured, and that there would be no scientific explenation possible.

'Magic' would be if a previously non-existing 'universe' (a mere "nothing") would have suddenly popped up from appearently nowhere, and time, space, matter and motion would have begun. This indeed is the impossible, and it can't have a physical explenation, since physicists are unable to make physical laws from "nothing".

However it's a sad thing that such an idea has been heavily promoted nowadays, for instance by popular works as "Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. I must add that Stephen Hawking himself must be very well aware that his idea about a beginning of time, is not a possible way in how the world came into being. Stephen Hawking original viewpoints are that of atheism, in which no such creation acts are assumed. Nevertheless, we must admit that he is influenced by his environment (wife, publisher, etc.) to put some 'theistic' stuff into his works. Nevertheless, in other statements he makes clear that he can conceive of no creation acts, since as he claims: "Physicists can not make physical laws from nothing".

The hypothese of the possibility of a "beginning of time" is formalized into a scientific hypothese which is called the Hawking-Turok thesis, which amongst others includes the "no-boundary" proposal (there are no edges or boundaries to space-time).
The details of this theses I will leave out (those who like to engage in it, there are plenty of sources available to this on the internet) but I will just briefly try to explain it (in sofar I understand it myself). The thesis is about assuming that near the point in time we call the Big Bang, time is becoming more and more "spacelike" thus forming a spheric "spacetime" without edges or boundaries. The point in time we call the Big Bang is not a specific point, no more specific then for instance the North Pole. Going back in time the equals heading to the North pole, and once you got there, you can only go forward in time, like at the North pole the only direction you can head for is south.
For theoretical needs however he needs to assume that apart from "real time" there has to be "imaginary time", which has -contrary to "real time" - no begin or end.

The model is strictly theoretical and mathematical in nature. The question however is, does this model portray the universe in a correct way. There is only one way to find that out, and that is to compare the theoretical outcomes of the model with observations.

Since this model of the (pre) Big Bang is not the only cosmological model, it is given competition with modes that do not include a concept of a "begin of time".
One of the promising models of the pre Big Bang universe is that of open / eternal / chaotic inflation, which is an idea develop further from an original idea of the Soviet physicist Starobinsky (and later on developed by Alan Guth, stanford university) who modeled a large scale qualitative transformation of matter as the cause of the Big bang. The original model was far too complicated however, and alltogether did not work, but later developments showed the fruitfullness of the idea.
One of the latest achievements in this field is that of eternal inflation, in which due to a pre-existing material formation in the form of a scalar field ( a scalar field is something like the potential of an electromagnetic field, it attributes a certain value to every point in space, which can vary in time) inflation is occuring ( a rapid exponential expansion of spacetime) and which can reproduce itself. Once inflation starts, it can go on forever in that inflation can reproduce itself. The Big bang event emerges naturally after the inflation stops, the universe gets reheated, and particle creation occurs, etc. as in the standard big bang model of an expanding universe.

All such models can be put on the test, by examing the theoretical outcomes with the observed values. Criteria for example are the age of the universe (some models can't escape from recollapsing too early, indicating that the model has some weaknesses at least, or is simply wrong) the size of the observale universe (in theory, the universe can be much larger then what we observe it to be due to the horizon issue, light from distant stellar systems which has not yet reached us), the density, the CMBR spectrum and fluctiuations in them, the matter distribution (homogeneity and isotropy), etc.

So as it comes to this, we are not left entirely in the dark, and can at least distinguish between some and other models.
There are of course features of possible models, we can't distinguish between. Wether a model predicts a size of the universe somewhat larger as what we observe it to be, or magnitudes larger, is not a distinghuishing criteria, since it does not violate any observational evidence. However if the model would inidicate a recollapse within less then 12 Gyears, or would indicate a size smaller as observed, it indicates the model does not work.

Conclusion to this, in brief is, that although the history of the universe, the material form in which it existed prior to the Big Bang is partly unknown, this does not mean we can't distinguish between some models and possibilities, and others.

And further, even though the Hawking-Turok thesis comes about a concept of a beginning of time, this theory can not escape from postulating a new time concept, without begin or end. The discussion would then just be what time concept would be then "more real": "real time" or "imaginary time".

As a contribution to this debate about this time / beginning of time issue, here is a text from a paragraph of the Anti-Duhring by Friedrich Engels (1887): Chapter V. Philosophy of Nature. Space and Time, in which Engels criticizes the idea of Herr Duhring about the possibility of a beginning of time.
"Let us pass on. So time had a beginning. What was there before this beginning? The universe, which was then in a self-equal, unchanging state. And as in this state no changes succeed one another, the more specialised idea of time transforms itself into the more general idea of being. In the first place, we are here not in the least concerned with what ideas change in Herr Dühring's head. The subject at issue is not the idea of time, but real time, which Herr Dühring cannot rid himself of so cheaply. In the second place, however much the idea of time may convert itself into the more general idea of being, this does not take us one step further. For the basic forms of all being are space and time, and being out of time is just as gross an absurdity as being out of space. The Hegelian "being past away non-temporally" and the neo-Schellingian "unpremeditatable being" are rational ideas compared with this being out of time. And for this reason Herr Dühring sets to work very cautiously; actually it is of course time, but of such a kind as cannot really be called time, time, indeed, in itself does not consist of real parts, and is only divided up at will by our mind -- only an actual filling of time with distinguishable facts is susceptible of being counted -- what the accumulation of empty duration means is quite unimaginable. What this accumulation is supposed to mean is here beside the point; the question is, whether the world, in the state here assumed, has duration, passes through a duration in time. We have long known that we can get nothing by measuring such a duration without content just as we can get nothing by measuring without aim or purpose in empty space; and Hegel, just because of the weariness of such an effort, calls such an infinity bad. According to Herr Dühring time exists only through change; change in and through time does not exist. Just because time is different from change, is independent of it, it is possible to measure it by change, for measuring always requires something different from the thing to be measured. And time in which no recognisable changes occur is very far removed from not being time; it is rather pure time, unaffected by any foreign admixtures, that is, real time, time as such. In fact, if we want to grasp the idea of time in all its purity, divorced from all alien and extraneous admixtures, we are compelled to put aside, as not being relevant here, all the various events which occur simultaneously or one after another in time, and in this way to form the idea of a time in which nothing happens. In doing this, therefore, we have not let the concept of time be submerged in the general idea of being, but have thereby for the first time arrived at the pure concept of time.

But all these contradictions and impossibilities are only mere child's play compared with the confusion into which Herr Dühring falls with his self-equal initial state of the world. If the world had ever been in a state in which no change whatever was taking place, how could it pass from this state to alteration? The absolutely unchanging, especially when it has been in this state from eternity, cannot possibly get out of such a state by itself and pass over into a state of motion and change. An initial impulse must therefore have come from outside, from outside the universe, an impulse which set it in motion. But as everyone knows, the "initial impulse" is only another expression for God. God and the beyond, which in his world schematism Herr Dühring pretended to have so beautifully dismantled, are both introduced again by him here, sharpened and deepened, into natural philosophy."

Last edited:

heusdens

Tranformation of Quantity into Quality

One of the theistic arguments used over and over again, are that for example something having no consciousness can not become consciousness. Consciousness is a property of material formations, in that it enables specific organic life forms to consciously reflect on and react to the outside world. All research work done on the phenomena of consciousness, indicate that both thoughts and emotions and all our actions must be based on material processes. Even our moods are determinded by the mix of chemical stuff and compounds that exist in our brain, as is easily demonstrated by the use of specific chemical compounds that alter our mental states, awarenesses, etc.
(which is an issue, Mr. Bob Enyard doesn't seem to now about...).
This includes those chemical compounds that can alter someone's mental state into "religious feelings", and which can and have been synthesized.

The material world is showing us plenty of examples in how new, not previously existing properties of matter, arise out of material formations. For example the property of material forms like stars to be able to emit huge amounts of light and radiation and other compounds into space, is a property of that material form, that did not exist prior to the stellar formation, and was absent in the state prior to the star's existence, i.e. the gassy cloud that pre-existed the stars formation.

This is just an example of a phenomena in the material world, in which a (linear) quantitative change (for example: pressure, heat, density) transforms into a qualitative change within matter (for instance: thermo-nuclear reactions, change of the aggregation state, etc), and are examples of the dialectical law of transformation of quantity into quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.