Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

heusdens

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
My Argument: Atheists are ideological hypocrites because they claim that belief in God is not valid because God is "imaginary", yet, they believe in the "meaning" of their own lives; which they admit is *imaginary*. This conundrum that faces atheists is a prime example of logical self-contradiction and double standard, which are the primary signs of a flawed belief system.

Perhaps that is your idea of atheism, but it is nevertheless incorrect. One should distinguish between the believe in something, and that something being realy there in an objective way. For something that is not actually there, one can have a belief, but neither a proof nor disproof exists.

I can quite frankly admit that there exists a belief in God, there are many books writting about it, and many talks and debate about it. Even so, this does not convince me in actually assuming that a God as an actual entity, apart from and outside of my mind as an objetive entity exists.

Wether one beliefs in something is totally irrelevant to the issue of that something actually being there or not.

So my position is this. Apart from the mind and outside of the mind, there is no God. It would not even make any difference for this position, if I myself would have a belief in God.
I could hold up both simultaniously: believing in a God, and on the other side admitting that apart from my belief in God, no such objective entity exists. One could claim then that such a belief would be untrue, but it could be nevertheless there (hypothetically speaking).

Further, we should realy not discuss the usefullness and meaning of personal values. If a belief or disbleief in God or whatever you belief in for some reason is good for you, or enables you to hold up your personal values, who can be the judge of that, other then yourself? We can take judgements of others into account, but to decide upon them, is something we decide entirely within ourselves.

Last edited:

Scrimshaw

Refuting Zakath

Refuting Zakath

Zakath said:

Pastor Enyart and the God of the Gaps

Pastor Enyart's last two arguments, deal with origins. He picks current areas of gaps in scientific knowledge and then asks anyone to whom he presents this argument to provide an explanation. He tasks me with explaining precellular organic life, the origin of consciousness, and the ultimate origin of the physical universe.

Those areas represent gaps of "knowledge", but not gaps of theory. "Science" (i.e., naturalist philosophers in lab coats) have plenty of theories to explain away those gaps. You accept the naturalistic theories but reject the supernaturalistic theories based soley on philosophical prejudice and self-admitted ignorance. That's not much of a logical basis for atheism. :nono:

To all these questios, I provide an honest answer of, "Well, science really doesn't know yet and neither do I."

What flagrant dishonesty. If you really "didn't know" how such momentous events happened, your belief that they weren't caused by God would be a belief based on self-admitted ignorance. Indeed, you are practicing an "atheism of the gaps" fallacy, and committing the very same fallacy that you accuse Bob of committing.

He then trots out his tried and true religious reply, "Well then, God did it."

But if you claim that you "don't know" the cause of those events, how can you possibly hold a "God-didn't-do-it" position? After all, if you don't know what DID cause the events, how could you possible make claims about what *didn't*?

Today some people, like my opponent, still seek to fill the gaps in human knowledge with their deities. To them, I have one reminder – human knowledge of the natural universe grows, seemingly inexorably.

Bob already responded to this argument in his previous post by pointing out to you that his conclusions are the RESULT of what we have learned about the universe. The fact is, over the last few centuries, our knowledge of the universe and biological life has progressively revealed just how complex, integrated, intricate, and amazingly structured the universe and biological life really are. And over time, we have discovered that there are many things that exist which simply have no corresponding natural process that could theoretically cause their existence. Not only are such "natural processes" nonexistent, their hypothetical existence and function are conceptually impossible to envision. This dilemma is not a result of scientific ignorance, but of scientific DISCOVERY. To assume that such naturalistic super-processes exist, even though we have found ZERO evidence for their existence leaves the atheists' belief in their existence quite hypocritical. For, the atheist considers "lack of evidence" for the existence of God to be a good enough reason to disbelieve in God, but apparently, "lack of evidence" is not a good enough reaon for them to disbelief in these amazing natural processes; which also have massive "lack of evidence".

This hypocritical duplicity is one of the many reasons why your arguments are disingenuous, as is the atheist position as a whole.

Last edited:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
1of2
Personal honesty and absolute truth.

Zakath has demonstrated a weakness in this debate concerning honesty and equivocation.

His response under the title of absolute right and wrong is indicative. Zakath reinvents Bob’s position on one front as being about values, and on the other front, he totally misrepresents Bob’s view by saying:
Unfortunately, Pastor Enyart only seems to know two examples of actions that he claims demonstrate absolute values: the "crimes of rape and murder".
Nothing of Bob’s arguments indicate that these are the only two examples Bob knows of, or even that even if that were remotely true, that somehow just using two examples is a notable detriment.

Also, earlier in the debate Zakath demonstrated this same subjective superficial attack by trying to reshape Bob’s position into something that it is not.
His statement on evidence is interesting and strangely limited:
"I present evidence only related to the creative, eternal, powerful, and knowledgeable aspects of God from the origins of both the universe and biological life…"
Strangely limited?!? Limited?!? What? Limited to just, the entire universe, and life as we know it. ... :crackup: These are the areas that mankind has the most ready access to information; these are of least theoretical and are the most verifiable areas. But Zakath doesn’t want to allow these areas of evidence to be presented in an objective and favorable light, he wants to re-spin Bob’s position as being somehow “strangely limited”, instead of being as broad as the universe and all that we can know from life itself, i.e. science and history and cosmology, etc. Evidently, if it’s from a person of faith in God, then these areas are “strangely limiting”, but if they are from a person of faith against God, then these areas are warmly accepted and often venerated. (It’s just the entire universe and all of life!!!, :D )

We have an example of Zakath demonstrating his fear of clarity and truth. Here’s Bob’s exposure of Zakath apparent duplicity concerning the existence of truth.
Old Business

On Truth

Begrudgingly with caveats, Zakath said that he will “concede” that truth exists. And then, only “as defined here,” but then he criticized my definition “Truth is a statement of reality,” calling it “somewhat tautological.” The American Heritage Dictionary Third Edition defines tautology as “needless repetition” and “an empty or vacuous statement.” Thus before our eyes, Zakath may have actually admitted to believing in nothing more than somewhat needlessly repetitive, empty statements. That is not the same as saying that truth exists, and leaves Zakath too much wiggle room. While atheists rightly insist on clear definitions from others, it would be nice for them to reciprocate.

Zakath, if you disliked my definition, you should have provided a better one, for regarding that definition, I had invited you to offer a “clarification” if necessary so that the readers and I could get a straight answer from you. Yet even after I suggested to the audience that “atheists react almost as though they fear truth,” you still equivocated. So, in an effort to get a direct, unequivocal, answer out of you to understand your position:

BQ7: Present your own definition of truth, and then if you can, affirm that truth exists without equivocating.
Zakath then did cave in to a somewhat reasonable response saying that truth exists, but at the same time, he did not remove the ambiguity of his equivocation zone (caveats, criticism, and demonstrated fear mentioned below). It’s somewhat easier to sound reasonable and rational when simply expressing a truth claim, but when living out your beliefs by responding to various moral situations, we see the truth unfold of what one actually believes by the way we respond accordingly. Examine how he handles the truth and reality from his first response to Bob’s first post, I’m afraid here he shows his true colors about the existence of truth.
Enyart's Q1. Does Zakath believe in truth?

The problem I am faced with when asked about truth by a religionist is that truth, especially when dealing with gods and religions, is described and defined in many, often contradictory, ways. I need to know

"What is (your definition of) truth, Pastor Enyart?"
  • What is true for the Muslim, that there is no deity but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet, is untrue for the Jew and Christian.
  • What is true for the Christian, that Jesus is divine, is untrue for the Jew and the Muslim.
  • What is true for the Jew, that YHWH has chosen them alone to be his special possession and their covenant to be the sole way to heaven, is untrue for the Christian and Muslim.
These are not examples of differences of what truth is, or examples of differences of opinion about if truth exists, these are examples of differences in truth claims. The question of

“the existence of truth”,

is altogether a different question than the question of

“the existence of contradictory truth claims”.

Zakath (apparently in his own mind alone, which is grossly in contradiction to the demonstrated verifiable truth in reality) seems to think that Bob did not ask about the existence of truth, instead, he seems to think that Bob asked if the truth claims of various contradictory belief systems are without large-scale dispute.

Now, :think: think for a moment just how divergent these two questions are. And there we see the expanse of the fear of the truth unabashedly proclaimed by the atheist for all to see, and without making a single apology or even a mention for mishandling the question thereafter.

As Bob pointed out, if he denies the existence of truth, then Zakath should just agree to concede the debate since he could never argue that Bob’s theism is false, and Zakath’s atheism is true, and also Bob would have to proceed on the basis that Zakath does not hold the truth of a matter in any sort of consistent or appreciative esteem, so for Zakath to be devious or morally twisted would be fair game for him. I’m glad Zakath had enough common sense to admit that truth exists, but his fear of it is sadly and loudly demonstrated by his criticism and demonstrations of altering the reality of a matter to suit his own personal agenda. (Zakath can’t handle the truth.)

On this mark of appreciating honesty and truth, Zakath nearly lost it all, but by weighing in on the side of the existence of truth, he has left himself some room for recovery. (Will he remain consistent with that claim despite his demonstrations and reservations?)

Zakath’s last post has directly avoided a lot of Bob’s continued line of questioning. The level of fear and lack of respect for the truth of the matter seems sadly growing for the worse.

heusdens

Re: Refuting Zakath

Re: Refuting Zakath

Zakath said:

Those areas represent gaps of "knowledge", but not gaps of theory. "Science" (i.e., naturalist philosophers in lab coats) have plenty of theories to explain away those gaps. You accept the naturalistic theories but reject the supernaturalistic theories based soley on philosophical prejudice and self-admitted ignorance. That's not much of a logical basis for atheism. :nono:

What flagrant dishonesty. If you really "didn't know" how such momentous events happened, your belief that they weren't caused by God would be a belief based on self-admitted ignorance. Indeed, you are practicing an "atheism of the gaps" fallacy, and committing the very same fallacy that you accuse Bob of committing.

But if you claim that you "don't know" the cause of those events, how can you possibly hold a "God-didn't-do-it" position? After all, if you don't know what DID cause the events, how could you possible make claims about what *didn't*?

Bob already responded to this argument in his previous post by pointing out to you that his conclusions are the RESULT of what we have learned about the universe. The fact is, over the last few centuries, our knowledge of the universe and biological life has progressively revealed just how complex, integrated, intricate, and amazingly structured the universe and biological life really are. And over time, we have discovered that there are many things that exist which simply have no corresponding natural process that could theoretically cause their existence. Not only are such "natural processes" nonexistent, their hypothetical existence and function are conceptually impossible to envision. This dilemma is not a result of scientific ignorance, but of scientific DISCOVERY. To assume that such naturalistic super-processes exist, even though we have found ZERO evidence for their existence leaves the atheists' belief in their existence quite hypocritical. For, the atheist considers "lack of evidence" for the existence of God to be a good enough reason to disbelieve in God, but apparently, "lack of evidence" is not a good enough reaon for them to disbelief in these amazing natural processes; which also have massive "lack of evidence".

This hypocritical duplicity is one of the many reasons why your arguments are disingenuous, as is the atheist position as a whole.

The position of Zakath is rather weak in this debate, and I don't think he presents his case very well here.

But let us remind here, the debate is not about believing or disbelieving in God. The topic is the "existence" of God.

The position I defend is that, apart from, outside and independend from our mind, there is an objective reality, which is in eternal change. This objective reality exists in the form of matter in motion. Matter can neither be destroyed nor created.

As opposed to matter, which is the primary substance, and consciousness denoting a specific material form, which is a secondary property of matter, the idea of God bases itself on idea that reality is primarily composed of a principle or absolute idea, and only secondary in a material way.

The whole of the material history as in the history of the universe or the history of the evolution of life forms and consciousness, is not completely known.
Nevertheless, materialism claims that all of the processes existing within nature, as for instance those that formed and shaped the human consciousness, can only be based on material processes.

Idealism on the contrary claims that consciousness can not be completely known and researched, cause consciousness would reside on immaterial principles. Even when assuming that apart from matter and consciousness, there is a third category of existence in the form of Information, Idealism lacks to provide any clue as to how immaterial principles can interact with matter.
We know however that consciousness is able of influencing matter, cause life forms with consciousness, are able of doing so.

That all of the processes in matter, causing consciousness, are not completely known, does not mean that there is any credit for a position that immaterial principles caused consciousness.
Idealism just completely lacks any indication that this could be the case.
The research and investigation into consciousness so far only indicate that all kinds of consciousness and awarenesses can be based on material processes. We can stimluate part of the brain causing for instance our hands to move, or causing us to hear something, etc.

This is why the statement that consciousness ultimately can be brought back to material processes, is a very strong position.
For the position of idealism, in which immaterial principles would have to perform the task of acting on matter, there has not been given any indication that this could be the case. And clearly, such a position is in direct violation of all known laws of physics.

Last edited:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
2of2

The absolute standard of righteousness.

People disagree about many things, but they seem to have a universal appreciation and understanding of the fundamentals of right and wrong. If you lie or steal or cheat or violate someone, it matters little what society or religious background you have, there is a common and highly predictable response against such behavior, a universal protest against wrongdoing.

But Zakath seems to only want to use the beliefs of the religionists in ways that benefit his own personal agenda. He likes it that religionists disagree about the nature or even the existence of say the Bible’s version of who God is, but when it comes to the universal understanding and demonstration of right and wrong, suddenly the voice of the entire world is somehow not noteworthy or valid.

Absolute right and wrong does not lead all people everywhere to the exact same understanding of what is right and wrong in every situation, enter the common complexity and vast realm of ethics, the limited personal understanding and proneness to error, plus a very significant and universal rebellion against being charged for wrongdoing. Which again is another strong argument for absolute right and wrong, that fact that mankind is troubled by being charged with wrongdoing. If right and wrong were not a naturally important issue to mankind, then we should not find what we do in humanity every time someone is unjustly charged with wrongdoing, or the unanimous protest when a common wrong threatens our way of life. On the contrary, the interest of justice in the face of wrongdoing is one of the highest orders of interest that man cares about.

The notion of right and wrong is one of the hallmarks found throughout humanity, and from the youngest of children, and it is precisely because of the many renown religious and ethical differences that are readily found in mankind, that makes the claim of one common fundamental standard of right and wrong even more compelling. Despite all the well established differences just alluded to, no one likes to be treated unfairly, or with unjust harm, and everyone seems to presume that right and wrong is a priority issue and is naturally important to all, especially if the wrongdoing is directed to them.

So all of these issues together speak compellingly and synergistically that there exists some standard of righteousness that reaches beyond mankind’s origination. (1) The universal notion of fairness and the freedom from unjust harm, and (2) the notion that others should naturally care about right and wrong, and (3) that people naturally are troubled by the charge of wrongdoing, all together present a unified basis for the existence absolute right and wrong which is altogether emphasized by the divergent beliefs and even contradictory ethics and found throughout man’s history.

This is all true even though the world generally rejects the righteous God of the bible and His standard of absolute righteousness, which troubles their sole by exposing the wrong in their lives.
  • Ro 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man——and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. 24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
Sure, men disagree about many situational ethics, but truly wrong or harm them unjustly, and the reaction is universally consistent no matter what religion or social differentiation. One naturally understood standard of right and wrong transcends all of humanity.

(I wonder just how many moral arguments Zakath will use against Bob in this debate in order to bolster his position? And I wonder why he thinks anyone would care about these charges if there is not one fundamental basis for right and wrong. If all of righteousness is subject to the realm of human differentiation, then who should care about his claims of moral wrongdoing because someone else might think such a thing to be right, and other might think it is amoral?) (Again, the way that one responds to moral situations is often more telling about a persons actual beliefs than a formal self expression of the same. Actions {responses} speak louder than words.)

Scrimshaw

Originally posted by heusdens
So my position is this. Apart from the mind and outside of the mind, there is no God.

But you just used your mind to come to that conclusion. Perhaps your conclusion that "there is no God" is a conclusion that only exists in YOUR mind, and has no meaning in relation to the actual, objective state of reality.

It would not even make any difference for this position, if I myself would have a belief in God. I could hold up both simultaniously: believing in a God, and on the other side admitting that apart from my belief in God, no such objective entity exists. One could claim then that such a belief would be untrue, but it could be nevertheless there (hypothetically speaking).

I am uncertain how anything you just said has any bearing on my argument. My argument was this:\

My Argument: Atheists are ideological hypocrites because they claim that belief in God is not valid because God is "imaginary", yet, they believe in the "meaning" of their own lives; which they admit is *imaginary*. This conundrum that faces atheists is a prime example of logical self-contradiction and double standard, which are the primary signs of a flawed belief system.

You haven't said anything that would even remotely resemble a rebuttal to my argument, as stated above.

Further, we should realy not discuss the usefullness and meaning of personal values. If a belief or disbleief in God or whatever you belief in for some reason is good for you, or enables you to hold up your personal values, who can be the judge of that, other then yourself?

I think we most certainly should discuss the MEANING of values in regards to the atheist belief system. The fact remains - if atheism is true, you are simply an arbitrary collection of atoms and any "values" you pretend to live by would be imaginary, not real.

Scrimshaw

Re: Re: Refuting Zakath

Re: Re: Refuting Zakath

The position I defend is that, apart from, outside and independend from our mind, there is an objective reality, which is in eternal change.

I wouldn't go so far to say "eternal". There is no evidence that the universe has eternally existed, or will eternally exist. And as a finite being, it would be impossible for you prove an "eternal" anything in the first place. But I agree with you about the existence of objective reality.

The whole of the material history as in the history of the universe or the history of the evolution of life forms and consciousness, is not completely known. Nevertheless, materialism claims that all of the processes existing within nature, as for instance those that formed and shaped the human consciousness, can only be based on material processes.

Yes, I am aware of what the philosophy of Materialism believes. I am not a materialist and have excellent reasons.

That all of the processes in matter, causing consciousness, are not completely known, does not mean that there is any credit for a position that immaterial principles caused consciousness.

Right, and if you are logically consistent, you'll also say that just because we don't know how *immaterial* principles caused consciousness does not mean that there is any credit for a position that *material* processes caused consciousness. The door swings both ways. If the lack of explantion by one position doesn't justify the other, then it works both ways.

The research and investigation into consciousness so far only indicate that all kinds of consciousness and awarenesses can be based on material processes.

But no one is questioning that our consciousness is at least partially founded on the physical mind. Rather, what is in question is the ORIGIN of consciousness; and in that regard, there isn't a shred of evidence for the existence of any material process that could mindlessly accomplish such an incredible task.

This is why the statement that consciousness ultimately can be brought back to material processes, is a very strong position.

That is not true. See previous comment.

Last edited:

Flipper

My Argument: Atheists are ideological hypocrites because they claim that belief in God is not valid because God is "imaginary", yet, they believe in the "meaning" of their own lives; which they admit is *imaginary*... The fact remains - if atheism is true, you are simply an arbitrary collection of atoms and any "values" you pretend to live by would be imaginary, not real.

Still not getting it, are we?

A) Although we're made of atoms, I would not use the term arbitrary.

B) Your final statement makes about as much sense as "Because the universe is so big and we are so small, no values we choose to hold exist". It's a non-sequitur.

C) I don't pretend to live by my values. I simply live by them.

D) There are good evolutionary explanations for morals and morality and, as we have explained to you over and over, as we happen to live with humans at human scales and are brought up immersed in societal values, we generally live by them.

E) If we don't live by these values in an organized society, then we are likely to suffer. The academic knowledge of the relative unimportance of our lives is extremely abstract and can be rapidly eclipsed by the immediate actuality of pain or confinement. Perhaps you would at least agree that an individual atom cannot feel pain, but certain collections of atoms can?

F) Your creation myth had better be an allegory because it bears little relation to what is actually observed. If the bible is wrong about that, then why should we believe it on anything else?

Science has many of the answers. Perhaps you should stop hitting the metaphysics section of the library (metaphysics is soooo 19th century) and start persuing the science sections?

When I see some evidence of the supernatural, I will start factoring it into my worldview. Until then, I prefer the materialist explanations, accepting that there is still a wealth of things we don't know.

You may think that "we don't currently know" is the atheist equivalent of "god of gaps" but remember, theology has been on a defensive retreat since the 18th century, and science has been on the ascendancy. The God of Gaps argument isn't "we don't currently know" it's more "it's impossible to explain without resorting to the supernatural". I think it's better to proceed as if it was not impossible to explain and see how far it takes us.

Yes, the cell is hugely complex. Yes, genes are hugely complex. Yes, there are difficulties with abiogenesis. Nevertheless, with the new reserves of compute power opening up, and the new tools we have at our disposal, I think we'll have some answers, even if they are not definitive, to some of these questions.

This conundrum that faces atheists is a prime example of logical self-contradiction and double standard, which are the primary signs of a flawed belief system.

Or a misunderstood one (I'm sure the Zen Buddhists would agree). You've had a lot of fun tearing into your strawman, but isn't it time you started to address what we're actually telling you about atheism?

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Soulman wrote:
Plant life, like brain life, strives to survive, and interacts in self-directed ways to its surroundings. Dave is saying look, I raised my hand and the fly flew away, that proves it. Proves what? That flies react just like under-evolved men? He’s saying that the fly is aware enough, or “smart” enough, to avoid an obvious threat, therefore the fly is “conscious” like a man, just on a lower level. In other words, the fly is like a tiny man. A tiny man with a tiny brain, and stupid as a fly.
That's not what I'm saying at all. That's you, and you alone, trying to over-simplify what I wrote, because as I wrote it, you cannot understand or successfully attack it. You have to oversimplify it before you can attack it, which is a sad statement on your ability.

What I **WAS** saying, was that a "brain" is a collection of neurons that thinks. On the simplest levels, a brain links sensory input, and coordinates that information to allow an organism to adapt and survive to it's environment. The larger the brain, the more thinking power it has. A fly's brain is magnitudes less powerful than a man's brain, and only capable of instinctual reactions. Saying that "a fly is like a tiny man" does not even come close to anything I was implying. It was simply you, and you alone.
It was just bad luck for the flies that flies failed to evolve into the earth’s dominant, biggest brained species.
There is no luck in the real universe. Luck is a human-created concept.

Flies are still flies because their niches in the natural world have not changed radically enough to force them to change or die as a species.
Maybe one day they will. In terms of relative levels of consciousness, a man could be described as a kind of giant, big-brained fly. Dave is saying that the fundamental difference between the “consciousness” level of humans and flies is that humans’ brains are firing on more cylinders. If that’s true, then obviously the solution to all our problems is bigger brains. Our brains are holding us back. What if we had a brain twice the size of the brain we have now, would we be twice as smart, or twice as self-aware? How high is high?
I find it interesting that you would merge several concepts into one in order to attempt to make what I said sound silly. You didn't succeed.

How you charicaturized what I wrote is not even close to what I was saying. It's sort of like You just took a bunch of my stuff which i had organized neatly on shelves, threw them haphazardly about the room in a big mess, and then blamed me for the mess that you made, because the stuff you made the mess with belongs to me.

So do you expect anyone to take what you wrote seriously?
Obviously, larger brains function on higher levels of order and complexity than smaller brains.
Yipee! You understood one fact that I wrote, and presented it here, accurately!
And the space shuttle has more moving parts than my lawnmower.
Ooops, I think you lost it... oh, well...
A fly is aware of its surroundings. A man is self-aware in his surroundings. In other words, if the fly’s brain was big enough, it would be self-conscious like a man.
Not quite. Larger is not the answer. MORE COMPLEX is the answer. It's not just a question of large brains. The brains need to be more organized and more complex, too. In nature, larger brains generally ARE more complex, but large is not the only part of the equation.
But there’s no way Dave can link higher levels of chemical activity in the brain to -- presto-chango! -- self-consciousness! Self-consciousness and a capacity for abstract thought and self-reflection could just as easily be an attribute unique to man for a reason or reasons other than brain size, not to mention that men of equal sized brains can be dumb as dirt or compose a sonata, in which case the “size” of the brain is irrelevant.
Soulman, you obviously did not read the whole article, nor did you read any of the material on the links I provided. Neurophysiology has explained consciousness, including self-consciousness. I tried to summarize volumes of material in a couple of paragraphs, but it's never an adequate way of encapsulating so much material. The fact that you chose to ignore it and charicatureize it into an even more over-simplified mess of irrational, emotional crap, is not my fault, but yours.
Dave has arbitrarily assumed that brain size initiates self-consciousness. Proving that a man’s brain is more complex than a fly’s does not prove that self-awareness is the RESULT of brain activity.
Well, on one level you are correct. Brain size and complexity does not PROVE self-awareness. I never said that, really. That's just you messing up what i said so that you can more easily attack it.

Neurophisiologists, in decades of experiments, modeling, and data-colelction, have proven that consciousness is caused by brain activity.

Please give us information where someone proved scientifically, that consciousness can exist without a brain to create it.

All it proves is that a man’s brain is more complex than a fly’s. How are we to distinguish between a rudimentary mechanical reflex to the environment -- a plant’s response to sunlight, or a fly startled by a sudden movement -- from a completely different sort of response called “self-awareness?”
We study it. We open up brains, probe them with instruments, conduct experiments, create working models. We get in touch with the MIT artificial Intelligence lab, and apply that information to the construction of computer models and robots. We share that information with other scientists. Since the idea of scientific research is an alien concept to you, and since you never demonstrated any knowledge of neurophysiology, How do you expect any intelligent people to buy what you wrote? Do you even know what a Turing test is?
How many brain-cell cylinders are required before “self”-awareness kicks in?
Soulman, the brain has no cylenders, and your cylender-analogy is severely flawed.
Whales have the largest brains on the planet, thus, by Dave’s reasoning, whales should be “smarter” and exist on a higher level of consciousness than man.
I never said that. Complexity is part of the equation. Indeed, Whales are highly intelligent, and so aren't Dolphins. We haven't even been able to accurately calculate their limits, yet. What we do know is that whales and dolphins have a highly evlved sonar sense. They have a whole section of brain dedicated to sonar, and it uses almost as much brainpower as our sight does.

But size is nothing without complexity. They have to go hand in hand.

If Dave could somehow “prove” that whales have a capacity for abstract thought and self-reflection, he would still need to establish a causative link between brain activity and self-consciousness.
Why whales? Why not apes? Apes are self-conscious. They can understand the concept of abstract ideas, modeling, and know themselves in a mirror when they see it. They can be taught to use human sign language, and they have been observed communicating with it.

heusdens

You're totally misunderstanding my argument. I am not arguing against the fact that humans DO CARE, or even that their caring is "natural" for them. I am aruging, based on logic, that humans would have NO EMPIRICAL REASON FOR CARING. (Afterall, you worship at the alter of "empiricism", don't ya?) Humans would have no logical reason for caring because caring would be inherently pointless because nothing humans care about means a hill a beans. Everything that exists, including you and everything you care about would be nothing but the chance effect of a cosmic accident. Our limited, insignificant "frames of reference" would be no more meaningful than star dust.

The above statements just show your reasoning is absolute idiocy. You agree on the fact humans do care about themselves and others, wether they do believe in God or not, and then you complain that they would have no "reason" to do so, were it not that God provided them absolute moral standards for doing so.

The only thing that matters however is that people care about themselves and about others, and it is totally irrelevant on what grounds they do so.

My point is - if atheism is true, then there is no logical reason to care about our survival.

Sure there is. A species not caring about it's own survival would not survice, and would have already gone extinct.

Survival would be the vainties of vainties; the most futile endeavor a human could ever pursue since survival would be an impossible task to acheive. We never escape death. So what would the logical reason be for trying to accomplish a task (survive) that we *already know* can never be accomplished?? Unlike the rest of the animal kingdom, we are cursed with the knowledge that we will one day die, regardless of our efforts, and there is nothing we can do to prevent it. Animals have ignorance as their excuse for vainly trying to survive. But what excuse would humans have? NONE.

You should distinguish between survival of the individual and survival of the species.
The consciousness of people is not concentrated on this issue in most cases, and don't think like: I am gonnan die anyway, so what differences does it make if I do this or don't do this.
Normal human lives are goaling towards reaching some satisfaction and happiness in live, to live a life worth living.
Since there is no after life, all you can and should care for, is your life here and now. Even so, we know that our actions here and now will and can influence actions of later generations. Since most of humanity is direclty linked up to their next generation, they do have an interest in not only providing a good life for themselves, but also for the next generation.
If we can live a good life now, but pollute the planet or exhaust it so much that next generations can't build a decent life, we are not living our lives right. Etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I truly believed that atheism was true and believed that my pathetical speck of life was all I had before my existence would be terminated into the meaningless sea of eternity, I wouldn't waste one second of my life arguing or debating about anything, because if no God exists, then truth, lies, perception, thoughts, experiences - EVERYTHING would be relative and no one would have the right to tell anyone else how to think, live, or behave.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you or I personally believe in, does not matter, fact is that outside of our thoughts and feelings and minds, we can never witness a deity. Assuming this deity then doest not exists would not in any way change anything.

The conclusion you draw however of everything being relative, as if any moral point of view or any statement about reality would be as good as any other, is not based on reality. For instance, if that were the case then no progress could have ever been made in any field of knowledge or science. evertheless we witness that there is progress in all fields of knowledge.

PureX

At some point it becomes obvious that it is fruitless to argue with someone using reason and logic, when they don't understand reason or logic. They won't even be able to understand the argument against them. But then if they could, they probably wouldn't be making the irrational assertions to begin with, that we feel compelled to refute using reason and logic.

More interesting and perhaps frustrating still, is that the people who choose to believe blindly and irrationally in their imagined absolutes feel pretty much the same way about those who would attempt to refute their irrational assertions using reason and logic. In their minds they have found something better than reason and logic: myth. And so those who cling to reason and logic must appear rather ... dense.

The reason and logic system of thinking have given mankind some great tools to use in conquering disease, hunger, and suffering, but in the process it also gave us terrible weapons of mass destruction, intense over-populated, and we still won't share our food or resources with those in need. On the other hand, the mythical absolutist system of thinking has kept much of mankind locked in a dark age of superstition, ignorance and fear that essentially just stagnates for centuries if left to itself.

Human intellectual evolution seems to be at a crossroads, here, and is having difficulty choosing which way to go. I wonder which it will be?

tenkeeper

Flip,

That was a beautiful heartfelt poem. Thank you for sharing it, it is
mystical and emotional, two very real parts of God's heart. That's a common thread in many systems and beliefs, some are from
darkness, some are from Light. To discern between the two is where enlightenment comes in. God is the 'only one' who can enlighten.
The dark side or the evil side gives an illusion of enlightenment but
the scripture says, 'Thy Word is Truth', and 'The beginning of wisdom is to discern between good and evil, between 'truth and lies' and to personally depart from all evil, darkness and lies.
There is an utter simplicity in the teachings of Jesus Christ, 'either do what is right or do what is wrong', 'either do good or do evil', there is no straddling the fence, there are no philosophical shades of gray.

Jo

heusdens

Originally posted by PureX
At some point it becomes obvious that it is fruitless to argue with someone using reason and logic, when they don't understand reason or logic. They won't even be able to understand the argument against them. But then if they could, they probably wouldn't be making the irrational assertions to begin with, that we feel compelled to refute using reason and logic.

More interesting and perhaps frustrating still, is that the people who choose to believe blindly and irrationally in their imagined absolutes feel pretty much the same way about those who would attempt to refute their irrational assertions using reason and logic. In their minds they have found something better than reason and logic: myth. And so those who cling to reason and logic must appear rather ... dense.

The reason and logic system of thinking have given mankind some great tools to use in conquering disease, hunger, and suffering, but in the process it also gave us terrible weapons of mass destruction, intense over-populated, and we still won't share our food or resources with those in need. On the other hand, the mythical absolutist system of thinking has kept much of mankind locked in a dark age of superstition, ignorance and fear that essentially just stagnates for centuries if left to itself.

Human intellectual evolution seems to be at a crossroads, here, and is having difficulty choosing which way to go. I wonder which it will be?

If the world is left to Bush and co. for sure we will face some dark ages in upcoming decades/centuries....

tenkeeper

Purex,

That's why in our own individual realms, we have to do good
to others, it is as simple as that, but 'all' of man's reason and
logic has not been able to attain that 'one' simple goal on an
individual basis or on a collective basis. It takes God to help one
accomplish this very simple principle. Man has made so many
great technical and scientific discoveries and advancements, but
because man's heart is decietful, self absorbed, we are in the
state we are in and we are running out of time.

heusdens

Theistic way of argumentation....

God exists and created everything. Anyone not convinced of that truth, should provide evidence to the contrary (work out scientific evidence for all phenomena that happened throughout all of space and all of eternity!)... And if they can not give that complete evidence, we have the right to inflict God's absolute morality on mankind.

Bush/Powel's way of argumentation:

The weapons of mass-destruction of Iraq exists. Anyone not conceiding with this should give evidence of the contrary. If that evidence is not satisfactory and within a certain time period give, we (the US) have the right to "disarm" Iraq and change the regime...

And as we all know, Iraq was invaded, but no trace of any weapons of mass destruction were ever found...

Which is why we should be supsiciious against this type of "argument".
Normal jurisdiction is that the one who claims the existence of something, has to provide for the evidence of that claim in a more as sufficient and objective way. Since it is realy impossible to proof that something that does not exist does not exist.

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Theistic way of argumentation....

God exists and created everything. Anyone not convinced of that truth, should provide evidence to the contrary (work out scientific evidence for all phenomena that happened throughout all of space and all of eternity!)... And if they can not give that complete evidence, we have the right to inflict God's absolute morality on mankind.
Agreed to a point...

Since there are thousands of Christian sects, each claiming to have the correct view of "God" and his will, I'd modify the final sentence to read:

"...we have the right to inflict our interpretation of God's absolute morality on mankind."

PureX

Originally posted by tenkeeper
Purex,

That's why in our own individual realms, we have to do good
to others, it is as simple as that, but 'all' of man's reason and
logic has not been able to attain that 'one' simple goal on an
individual basis or on a collective basis. It takes God to help one
accomplish this very simple principle. Man has made so many
great technical and scientific discoveries and advancements, but
because man's heart is decietful, self absorbed, we are in the
state we are in and we are running out of time.
It doesn't appear to me that the mythic absolutist system of thought has done much for the general good, either. Theists keep trying to claim they are of such high moral character, because they believe in a God, while atheist are inevitably immoral, yet my personal experiences with both suggest to me just the opposite. I find that in general, atheists tend to be more open-minded, tolerant and considerate of the lives, feelings and opinions of other people precisely because they have no absolute sense of their own correctness. While theists, ESPECIALLY absolutist theists, tend to be angry, rude and and intolerant toward others because they are so convinced of their own righteousness.

I agree with you that we human beings need to come to grips with the insanity of our own selfishness, regardless of our philosophical leanings, but so far we have not evolved enough to be able to do this. Perhaps the destructive power that science has given us will now force us to either destroy ourselves, or face ourselves honestly. If I were a betting man, however, I'd bet that we are more likely to do the later than the former, sad to say. At the moment we seem to be in a sort of holding pattern due to our instinct for survival, and that's something. But there is little indication that we are about to begin facing ourselves any time soon.

Last edited:

heusdens

Originally posted by Zakath
Agreed to a point...

Since there are thousands of Christian sects, each claiming to have the correct view of "God" and his will, I'd modify the final sentence to read:

"...we have the right to inflict our interpretation of God's absolute morality on mankind."

Thanks for this correction, indeed "God" speaks with many tongues, and often contradicts itself...

About the debate, how do you think the debate is proceeding?
How do you reflect on the critics which claim that you did not give any clue, not even in outline, how consciousness arises out of matter, and that you did not properly outline the 'origin' of the universe in a non-theistic way.

PureX

Zakath,

After Bob's last post, I feel your debate is doomed. I don't think he is capable of comprehending the arguments you put before him. He seems to believe, as absolutists do, that what he believes to be "evidence" is evidence, and your "atheistic" reasoning against this assertion simply doesn't compute for him as a rebuttal. I don't think this is going to change, and so he will just continue spewing insults and prejudice without even realizing that he's doing it, and will offer little of value to the actual debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.