Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eireann

Originally posted by Charismata
Eireann, christians are not pantheists. If you think creation is all that there is and that creation in itself is your definition of "god" then I understand why you think it to be a contradiction.

If this is not your position then by all means show us the syllogism on why christians hold a self-contradictory position.

Please, I am most interested in seeing your capacity for "logical thought".
I don't personally see the belief in an eternal creator as contradictory. What I see as contradictory is the argument generally presented that says the evolutionist's perspective can't be true because it defies the laws of physics, yet at the same time a thing without beginning or end also defies the laws of physics. The belief isn't what's contradictory. The denouncement is.

philosophizer

Originally posted by Freak
So, it's subjective? chair may not be chair?

It is not absolute if your definition of "sequence" is based on the structure of the word and its letters. "chair" is definitely not "spider" because their sequence is obviously different. But whether or not "chair" is equal to "chair" is indeterminite based on structure. There are far too many random variables present in the structure to say with any certainty that they are absolutely equal. It is possible that all the random variations contained within each statement of the word could for an instant align perfectly with each other. In that instant, the two statements of the word would be equal. But the chances of that are beyond astronomically slim.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Eireann
I don't personally see the belief in an eternal creator as contradictory. What I see as contradictory is the argument generally presented that says the evolutionist's perspective can't be true because it defies the laws of physics, yet at the same time a thing without beginning or end also defies the laws of physics.

Not if it isn't part of the physical universe.

The belief isn't what's contradictory. The denouncement is.

Only if you have pantheistic beliefs. Christians don't believe in pantheism.

Last edited:

Eireann

Chair is chair. That much is inarguable. It will always follow the sequence c-h-a-i-r. Nevertheless, that is where it's absoluteness ends. A chair is a chair, if defined as a catagorical structure. It can be a stool or even a bed, if defined by its use. And at any rate, any given chair is not any other given chair. One could liken the catagorical structure definition of chair to "physical" absolutes, while likening the use definition of chair to "abstract" or "value" absolutes.

To parallel: cat is cat. Absolute. c precedes a precedes t.
A cat is a cat (physical absolute).
Yorky is a cat (value assigned to a physical absolute)
Felix is a cat (value assigned to a physical absolute)
Yorky is not Felix (while both are absolutely cats, both are not the same cat, i.e. the value judgment is not the same; assuming one does not reassign or rename for the sake of convenience)

Another parallel: murder is murder. Absolute. m > u > r > d > e > r
A murder is an unlawful killing. (physical absolute)
In situation A, murder is deemed morally wrong (value assigned to physical absolute)
In situation B, murder is deemed morally right, despite Scrimshaw's rather ineffectual argument to the contrary (value assigned to physical absolute)
Therefore, one cannot say that "any given murder is morally wrong" or "any given murder is morally right," because the value judgment is not absolute.

Charismata

I don't personally see the belief in an eternal creator as contradictory. What I see as contradictory is the argument generally presented that says the evolutionist's perspective can't be true because it defies the laws of physics, yet at the same time a thing without beginning or end also defies the laws of physics. The belief isn't what's contradictory. The denouncement is.

Eireann the difference being between the two assertions is only one is governed by the laws of physics. "Evolution" (used in the most general sense) is supposedly a natural process. Of course it would be governed by the laws of physics.

I still fail to make the connect on how that is similiar to a Christian arguing for a supernatural being ie God, creatio ex nihilo...creating out of nothing.

The two instances aren't remotely analagous.

In one instance observed natural law which governs all of the material is used to illustrate the potential for a process.

In the other instance there is no natural law to govern the supernatural. God establishes the laws to govern what He has already created.

How can a natural law govern something before the law is established?

You assert:
at the same time a thing without beginning or end also defies the laws of physics

Eireann, only things that begin to exist need a cause. Again I refer you to the Kalam Cosmological Argument.

Do you have anything else to offer?

Eireann

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
Not if it isn't part of the physical universe.

Only if you have pantheistic beliefs. Christians don't believe in pantheism.
Whether you believe in pantheism or not is completely irrelevent. You claim a standard whereby an origin theory must be allowable by the laws of physics in order to be deemed valid, yet follow an origin theory which is not allowable by physical laws. You attempt to create an unfalsifiable argument, though, by inventing a law that doesn't really exist, saying that it doesn't defy physical law because it isn't part of the physical universe. Unfalsifiable. Invalid.

One Eyed Jack

Whether you believe in pantheism or not is completely irrelevent.

I disagree. A pantheistic belief places God within the physical universe. Christians don't believe that God is part of the physical universe.

You claim a standard whereby an origin theory must be allowable by the laws of physics in order to be deemed valid,

I can't think of many scientists that would disagree with that. Can you?

yet follow an origin theory which is not allowable by physical laws.

So? I'm not the one trying to say it came about by purely natural processes either.

You attempt to create an unfalsifiable argument, though, by inventing a law that doesn't really exist, saying that it doesn't defy physical law because it isn't part of the physical universe. Unfalsifiable. Invalid.

What law have I invented that doesn't exist?

Last edited:

Brenda

I can't keep up with 900 posts. Sorry if these thoughts have already been discussed. If someone can give me approximate post #'s, that would be nice.

Anyone discussing Zakath's issues with God's communication of absolute right and wrong? It seems very flimsy to me. He wonders why so many varying opinions exist, on issues such as abortion, within the body of Christ. He asks:

If there is a deity, then why has he not demonstrated clearly, and unambiguously, his absolute standard on such important issues as abortion?

And further asks:

Why is there so much confusion? How can two well-intentioned groups of religious believers both claim that "God" supports two contradictory positions simultaneously?

The answer to me is clear: free will and sin. I don't believe there are two "well-intentioned" groups. I think there are people seeking to justify certain sins in their own mind, and that they can only do this by ignoring the truth that has been given to them by God. I personally think that abortion is the perfect example of this. Anyone with a brain can know that abortion is wrong.

I am sure that Bob Enyart will be able to rip this one to shreds. But I come here seeking to find the errors in my thinking, so I welcome objections.

Humbly (wimpishly?) retreating into lurk mode...

Brenda

Charismata

Philosophical arguments should be falsifiable??!

Philosophical arguments should be falsifiable??!

You attempt to create an unfalsifiable argument, though, by inventing a law that doesn't really exist, saying that it doesn't defy physical law because it isn't part of the physical universe. Unfalsifiable. Invalid.

Since when was it the requirement of a philosophical argument to be falsifiable?

I think you are confusing the "scientific method" with philosophy and the "rule of logic".

The scientific method is a great tool for examining the material world.

It's a terrible philosophy from the simple fact things are not by default false anymore than they are default true.

To say that things are by default or ex hypothesi "false" is to commit a logical fallacy. Things are no more likely to be true or false. They are either true OR false. In logic that is called the law or rule of bivalance.

Coin tosses are no more likely to be heads than tails. Your position would be the equivalent of saying that all coin tosses are "tails" unless you observe them coming up "heads".

Again...the scientific method is good for examining the material world. It's "bueno por nada" for examining philosophical arguments.
:doh:

Eireann

I still fail to make the connect on how that is similiar to a Christian arguing for a supernatural being ie God, creatio ex nihilo...creating out of nothing.

The two instances aren't remotely analagous.
Perhaps not, but neither is that the analogy I was making. What God created the universe from has nothing to do with what I was saying. Creatio ex nihilo is not a description of God but of God's mechanism.

In one instance observed natural law which governs all of the material is used to illustrate the potential for a process.
This is where you err. You make the mistake of assuming that only the material is subject to natural law. Nature is subject to natural law, and nature is more than the material world or the external world. Even the dictionary doesn't limit the definition of "nature" as much as the Christian apparently does. To the Christian, nature is purely material and external, it seems. That application of the term "nature" falls rather low on the list of common usage. Webster's defines nature as 1. the inherent character or basic constitution of a person or thing (essence, temperament, disposition). Defintion 2 is more applicable to nature as we are discussing it: creative and controlling force in the universe. That would be God, by the way, unless of course you believe that God is not in the universe, which is not only unfalsifiable and completely invalid on any scale, but also denies one of the most basic attributes of God (omnipresence). God is nature, then, and since nature is subject to natural laws (actually being the very embodiment of natural laws), then God, by default is also subject to natural laws (being the very embodiment of natural laws). As such, the "supernatural" does not exist, except as mere verbage, as there is nothing that supercedes nature, being that God is nature.

In the other instance there is no natural law to govern the supernatural.
There is no law to govern that which does not exist, I'll agree.

God establishes the laws to govern what He has already created.
In part. The laws govern nature. Actually, laws don't really govern anything. They merely reflect probability, as opposed to imposing possibility. God is nature, according to the most common usage of the word "nature," in the existential sense (as opposed to dispositional). The much narrower view of nature as Christians use it falls as low as #6 on the list, meaning it is not nearly as commonly used or agreed upon as the higher numbered definitions.

How can a natural law govern something before the law is established?
You're assuming the laws exist because God established them. The laws established themselves as a reflection of probabilities.

Eireann

Re: Philosophical arguments should be falsifiable??!

Re: Philosophical arguments should be falsifiable??!

Since when was it the requirement of a philosophical argument to be falsifiable?

I think you are confusing the "scientific method" with philosophy and the "rule of logic".

The scientific method is a great tool for examining the material world.

It's a terrible philosophy from the simple fact things are not by default false anymore than they are default true.

To say that things are by default or ex hypothesi "false" is to commit a logical fallacy. Things are no more likely to be true or false. They are either true OR false. In logic that is called the law or rule of bivalance.

Coin tosses are no more likely to be heads than tails. Your position would be the equivalent of saying that all coin tosses are "tails" unless you observe them coming up "heads".

Again...the scientific method is good for examining the material world. It's "bueno por nada" for examining philosophical arguments.
:doh:
I say it is exactly the opposite. Scientific method is not only useful for testing material hypotheses. It governs the testing of any hypothesis. Any standard for testing must give way to scientific method, otherwise it is nothing but words. You say that scientific method is good for nothing for examining philosophical arguments. I say that without its standard for validity, a philosophical argument is, in fact, bueno por nada. At best, it's good for killing a few hours of intense conversation, but good for nothing when it comes to arriving at any real truths.

Eireann

Originally posted by Brenda
By the way, you guys are driving me nuts with the chair thing.

:bang: ;)
That's why we brought a sofa along. It's big and comfy. Take off your shoes, stretch out, relax. Enjoy yourself.

Charismata

Dueling paradiagms

Dueling paradiagms

Nature is subject to natural law, and nature is more than the material world or the external world.

Care to offer evidence that the Christian position as incorrect and yours is the correct one?:cool:

You see this is where you err. You presume your position is the correct one and attack the Christian position as incorrect.

I can see that you do hold to the pantheistic position.

This in and of itself is contradictory from numerous logical points of view. Even aristotle addressed this in his Prime Mover argument.

That would be God, by the way, unless of course you believe that God is not in the universe, which is not only unfalsifiable and completely invalid on any scale, but also denies one of the most basic attributes of God (omnipresence). God is nature, then, and since nature is subject to natural laws

Au contraire my pantheistic friend. The Christian argues that God is a necessary being and that creation in and of itself is contingent. To the Christian all of creation could cease to exist and God would remain.

Can you offer from any rule of logic where it is a requirement for a philosophical argument to be falsifiable? You can't.

If you truly want to engage in a discussion with a Christian don't you think it best to actually address what it is they actually believe?

By the way, how do you know that "nature" is as you define it? You don't. (Argument from silence)

The most humorous issue regarding pantheism is the idea that we are all part of god and that we have to "realize" it. Last I checked God already knew that He was God (omniscience) and He was definite that the job was already filled.:D

Last edited:

Eireann

Re: Dueling paradiagms

Re: Dueling paradiagms

The most humorous issue regarding pantheism is the idea that we are all part of god and that we have to "realize" it. Last I checked God already knew that He was God (omniscience) and He was definite that the job was already filled.:D
The most humorous issue regarding the Christian worldview is that Christians actually think they have the slightest clue what God is and what its true attributes are, based on a bunch of dusty pages written by men of limited knowledge and experience several thousand years ago. You said last time you checked ... well, if you were to check again you'd probably find you don't have any idea at all what God really is, does or knows. I'm not saying that to be offensive, but merely to illustrate that man is extremely, extremely, extremely limited in his understanding of God, the universe and our place within it. All of our dogma, doctrine and philosophy is based on that very limited understanding. Thus, all of our dogma, doctrine and philosophy is extremely fallible and far from conclusive on any measure. It is simple human arrogance that assumes any one philosophy to be correct.

And yes, I am a pantheist. I'm a pagan agnostic pantheistic polytheistic monotheist. How's that for a mouthful?

Care to offer evidence that the Christian position as incorrect and yours is the correct one?
Basically, the fact that even the dictionary acknowledges that my definition of nature is by far the more widely used. That, and the undeniable tendency among Christians (others too) to redefine terms as necessary, demonstrating near complete irreverence for purity of language.

Last edited:

novice

Who is the stooge now?
This thread is the most psychotic I have ever read. (its all over the place)

Its also one of the most fun threads I have ever read. :up:

Charismata

Aristotle just rolled over in his grave

Aristotle just rolled over in his grave

I say it is exactly the opposite. Scientific method is not only useful for testing material hypotheses. It governs the testing of any hypothesis. Any standard for testing must give way to scientific method, otherwise it is nothing but words.

Eireann you can say it all you like but all you are doing is showing your ignorance in understanding critical thought and the rule of logic.

Eireann the rule of logic is the standard for testing philosophical arguments.

You would have me belief that negative false claims would automatically possess a greater balance of truth value ex hypothesi which is self-contradictory. Instead, philosophers have suggested that initial plausibility determines the burden of proof. (B. N. Moore and R. Parker, Critical Thinking, 3rd ed. (California: Mayfield Publishing Company, 1992), p. 193.)

Each claim to knowledge, whether positive or negative, shoulders a burden of proof.

I would encourage you to check into this textbook because it differs with your understanding on what standard governs philsophical debates.

Additionally you might find this online guide to a laundry list of logical fallacies helpful. I know I do.

Stephen's Guide - A logical fallacy index

Eireann

Re: Aristotle just rolled over in his grave

Re: Aristotle just rolled over in his grave

Eireann you can say it all you like but all you are doing is showing your ignorance in understanding critical thought and the rule of logic.

Eireann the rule of logic is the standard for testing philosophical arguments.
Without a standard of testibility and validation, the "Rule of Logic" is nothing but a bunch of ideas that cannot, even of themselves, be validated.

Like I said, without a standard of testibility and validation, it is good for nothing but killing a few hours with intense conversation that ultimately arrives at nothing.

Hank

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The vast majority of chronological indicators show a young E

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The vast majority of chronological indicators show a young E

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
It's not a very good definition if you ask me. Irish wolfhounds and chihuahuas are sexually incompatible due to mechanical problems, but they're the exact same genus, species, and subspecies (Canis lupus familiaris). I wouldn't call that macro-evolution. Would you?
What would be your definition of macroevolution?
Well, considering that they've only sequenced four animal genomes so far, we might have a bit of a wait on our hands before we can do any serious comparisons. Are you aware that they haven't yet finished sequencing the chimpanzee genome? Of course, that doesn't stop them from claiming less than 1% difference between chimpanzees and man, so you have to take some of what they say with a grain of salt.
Man trying to get an answer out of you is like pulling teeth. I really thought you might have want to have an intelligent debate but I’m beginning to wonder. But I’ll try one more time. Do you think the comparison of genetics between animals is a satisfactory way of determining the relationship of animals? If so, is there a number that you would accept for a “kind” such as 1% or 2%, etc. divergence?
I don't believe in macro-evolution.
I don’t believe in unicorns. But I could give you a definition of one so we could discuss it so we could agree what one was if we saw it.
Noah took food on board the ark, plus he took seven of every clean animal -- presumably to breed for food.
Well eating the stock would account for a few weeks of food at the most. What happened after that?
We figure that's how humans got there, and it's not unreasonable to assume that many animals made it that way as well. Maybe humans brought sloths with them. All we can do is speculate on the stuff we don't know.
You’re saying sloths walked across Russia, Alaska, Canada, US, Mexico, Central America, and South America in 2000 years or less and all the while produced and raised offspring. And the freezing cold didn’t bother them a bit?
For how long it took them to get here? I have no idea, but I don't think it was 2,000 years.
If you don’t have any idea, why do you disagree with 2000 years? What number would you be comfortable with?
They did. Dingoes are placental mammals.
Okay I won’t argue with you about Dingoes being introduced into Australia after marsupials were established. But why are there so few placenta animals in Australia and so many marsupials? That didn’t happen anywhere else.
I don't think they swam. So is that your answer -- they swam there?
Then again, how did they get there?
But I don't think wolves evolved into foxes. I think they probably have a common ancestor which was some kind of canine, but I would only consider that to be micro-evolution.
Are you saying there were no wolves or foxes right after the flood since they came from a common ancestor?
Number 3 is close to what I believe may have happened, but I wouldn't say that no variation occured before the flood.
So why didn’t it change before the flood and change so rapidly after the flood?
No, it rotates about its axis. It revolves around the sun.

Okay so why do you believe that?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Brenda
By the way, you guys are driving me nuts with the chair thing.

:bang: ;)

Hey Jay! :sozo: Can you give this lady one of your chairs?

She needs to sit down and think for a bit... :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.