Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eireann

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
My critique:

I just read the whole debate and I think both sides made some mistakes. Knight's mistake was he said that they did not need to establish any particular moral behavior as absolutely right or wrong.....but then spent the rest of the debate doing just that - trying to establish that the specific moral behavior of kidnapping/raping/murdering a child is absolutely wrong. At worse, this was mistake of misspeak, double-speak, etc. A blunder no doubt, but not serious enough to undermine his position in the debate.
All Knight did was assert that there are absolute morals. Both parties agreed that for absolute morals to exist, a source/standard for such morals would have to exist. Knight never tried to build a case for the existence of such, and all he did toward building a case for absolutes was ask Zakath to show any circumstance where murder, rape or kidnapping was not absolutely wrong. He did so -- in rather dramatic and nearly farcical fashion, but he did so nonetheless. Of course, the Christians discounted his scenario as extremely unlikely, but Knight hadn't asked for a likely scenario, he had asked for a possible scenario. Thus, much to Knight's and his followers' chagrin, Zakath answered the question. In scoffing, Zak's critics claimed that one murder to save many was still absolutely wrong, thereby suggesting that allowing the deaths of many to save one was not absolutely wrong -- which itself undermined their own position that murder is absolutely wrong. Still, once Zakath answered Knight's question, it was incumbent upon Knight to come back with a new approach to building a case of absolutes. He didn't. At best, his one approach -- making an assertion and then asking Zakath to provide an exception -- could, at a stretch, be seen as an extremely weak attempt to build a case for moral absolutes.

Zakath's error was more serious. When responding to Knight's moral example of kidnapping/raping/murder, he tried to provide an elaborate scenario where the perpetrator of the act was a hero, not a criminal. However, in that scenario, Zakath explained that the reason the terrorist was committing this retribution was because he was very upset that an Arab diplomat (the little girl's father) had ordered the torture and killing of the terrorist's wife and infant son. But in Zakath's zeal, he totally overlooked the obvious fact that the terrorist obviously felt that the torture and "murder" of his wife and infant son was morally - WRONG!
This doesn't automatically suppose that the terrorist believed it was morally wrong. It does mean the terrorist was mightily upset that he suffered the personal loss of something he didn't want to lose. If my wife were to leave me, say, for another man, and that man hadn't actually made any overtures towards her but simply lured her by his natural personality, then I would not think that man did anything wrong, but I would still be extremely upset at him. It's a natural reaction to personal loss. Read Kubler-Ross sometime.

If he didn't believe that murder/torture were morally "wrong", why would the terrorist be upset? Why would he try to get "payback"?? The answer is obvious. In Zakath's haste to disprove a universal/absolute morality, he ends up supporting its existence with his very own example! After that moment, he had lost the debate.
See above. Since this was an entirely fictional incident, then the reason I provided is every bit as valid as the one you presented, both equally possible.

Furthermore, Knight had asked Zakath to provide any possible circumstance, in any culture, where kidnapping/murdering/raping purely for sadistic pleasure would be considered morally "right". Zakath completely dodged that very critical question at least three times, totally failing to answer it. His lack of answer gives a strong implication that no such circumstances could ever exist, and therefore, universal/absolute morality does exist.
If it the condition "purely for sadistic pleasure" were included as part of the query, then Zakath wouldn't need to answer it. The inclusion of a condition like that already makes it relativistic. By including the condition, Knight would have already admitted, without knowing it, that the condition would be needed to establish a seemingly universal wrongness, making it a case of "situational ethics," a relativist notion.

August

Shima wrote:
< Since it is not possible
to prove a negative, >
I don't why people keep saying that, because it isn't true. Of course, if it were, we would all be wasting our time, because it would be impossible for Zakath to prove the nonexistence of God.
Actually, there is a perfectly rigorous mathematical proof that it is impossible to trisect an angle with a finite number of operations with a compass and a straight edge. That is a negative, because it states that something cannot be done. Another example: there is a simple proof that there is no positive number that is closest to zero. Similarly, there are many other "nonexistence theorems" in mathematics.

tenkeeper

Hope

Hope

The fetters can be unbound
And left on the ground
Behind the dust that you thrust
Into the dark
And a spark of Light will come forth
From the sky window in the north expanse
And dance in your heart
And start you down a different road
After you unload the wagon
And it won't be draggin' you down
Anymore

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Knight wins by a knockout!

Knight wins by a knockout!

Scrimshaw-Good post, but you failed to understand just how badly Knight defeated Zaaaa-Kath in BR II. You stated:
Knight's mistake was he said that they did not need to establish any particular moral behavior as absolutely right or wrong.....but then spent the rest of the debate doing just that - trying to establish that the specific moral behavior of kidnapping/raping/murdering a child is absolutely wrong. At worse, this was mistake of misspeak, double-speak, etc. A blunder no doubt, but not serious enough to undermine his position in the debate.
This is where you made your mistake.

Knight did not have to prove that his scenario was truly evil, just that if any scenario could be shown to be truly evil, then a moral absolute is proven.

Knight was able to show that Zaaaa-kath really does believe in morale absolutes, because he himself came up with a scenario that to him, was truly evil. He, of course, refuses to admit this, but has been shamed in the past into speechlessness when confronted by Knight to admit that all he, Zaaaa-Kath, had to do was state that it was not evil to violently rape and murder a five year old girl for his own pleasure. Even a man that hates Jesus Christ (who died on the cross for him) as much as Zaaa-Kath does couldn’t bring himself to admit that, proving that the truth is burned in his heart.

A sound beating and an awesome debate!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Evil, like sin, is causing uncecessary pain to others.

The problem is that, due to the subjective nature of man, one man's evil can be another's virtue.

The suicide bomber is a hero in his occupied village.

Eireann

Re: Knight wins by a knockout!

Re: Knight wins by a knockout!

Originally posted by Lion
Scrimshaw-Good post, but you failed to understand just how badly Knight defeated Zaaaa-Kath in BR II. You stated:This is where you made your mistake.

Knight did not have to prove that his scenario was truly evil, just that if any scenario could be shown to be truly evil, then a moral absolute is proven.
Incorrect. A moral value would be proven, not a moral absolute. You are incorrectly assuming that "right and wrong" and "absolute right and absolute wrong" are equal. They are not. In order to be absolute, such a value would have to be the same across all cultures and all time, past, present and future. Establishing that a thing is wrong now, or even that it has always been wrong, does not automatically preclude the possibility that in the future it might not be wrong in some instances. To establish that a moral value is in fact a moral absolute, one would need to be able to show that there is no possibility of its changing in the future, that there's no possibility that a culture could exist that did not believe it was wrong or that there's no possibility that God could up and change his mind on the matter. Without both universality and permanency firmly established, then moral absolutes cannot be established.

Knight was able to show that Zaaaa-kath really does believe in morale absolutes
No, it only shows that Zakath believes in a moral code. Not the same as moral absolutes. You guys need to learn the difference.

because he himself came up with a scenario that to him, was truly evil. He, of course, refuses to admit this, but has been shamed in the past into speechlessness when confronted by Knight to admit that all he, Zaaaa-Kath, had to do was state that it was not evil to violently rape and murder a five year old girl for his own pleasure.
Again, he didn't need to answer that question. The way it's framed already admits a situational condition, which is evidence not of an absolute but of relativism. If that is the way Knight worded it (and I haven't gone back to verify that), then it shows that Knight actually had to add a condition to the original question ("is murder or rape absolutely wrong?"), which is tantamount to Knight's own admission to the validity of moral relativism and situational ethics.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
They don't serve breakfast in hell.

They don't serve breakfast in hell.

1Cor 15:32 "...If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

Zaaaa-kath-Is Lion a FALSE PROPHET?. I'm still here.
False prophet? No, while it is true that you are still here, you are also… dead.
(Revised) Eph 2:1-2 And Zaaaa-Kath refuses to be made alive, who is dead in trespasses and sins, in that he walks according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience… conducting himself in the lusts of his flesh, fulfilling the desires of his flesh and of the mind, and is by nature a child of wrath, just as the others.

John 3:18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
:cheers:

Eireann

Originally posted by August
Shima wrote:
< Since it is not possible
to prove a negative, >
I don't why people keep saying that, because it isn't true. Of course, if it were, we would all be wasting our time, because it would be impossible for Zakath to prove the nonexistence of God.
Actually, there is a perfectly rigorous mathematical proof that it is impossible to trisect an angle with a finite number of operations with a compass and a straight edge. That is a negative, because it states that something cannot be done. Another example: there is a simple proof that there is no positive number that is closest to zero. Similarly, there are many other "nonexistence theorems" in mathematics.
There's a difference between proving something can't be done, and proving something doesn't exist. Something as elusive as the existence of God cannot be proven or disproven by simple mathematics. No amount of theorems will conclusively demonstrate that there is no space in the universe where God does or could exist.

The understanding of humans, while vast and impressive, is still very limited in the bigger scope of things. To use your mathematical examples: these don't serve as absolute and irrefutable proof that such things cannot be done or that such a number does not exist. They serve only as proofs that no one thus far has managed to find a way to trisect an angle with the conditions presented, and that no one thus far has managed to conclude that the set of possible positive real numbers is finite. It doesn't mean conclusively that they aren't finite, only that no one has been able to wrap their brains around the idea that they possibly could be finite at some point.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Right is right, you are wrong!

Right is right, you are wrong!

A moral value would be proven, not a moral absolute. You are incorrectly assuming that "right and wrong" and "absolute right and absolute wrong" are equal. They are not. In order to be absolute, such a value would have to be the same across all cultures and all time, past, present and future.
Not at all. This is your idea of what an absolute right and wrong is, but it contains the same error that Zaaa-Kath’s statement did.

It makes no difference what any culture or society thinks is right or wrong to prove that a moral absolute exists. Only that each and everyone in the world recognizes the fact that there is something that they recognize as an absolute right or absolute wrong. For Zaaaa-Kath, he recognized that it was absolutely wrong for a man to rape and murder a young child for his pleasure. Zaaaa-kath recognized that there was no way, in the present, the past or the future, that he could admit to himself that it was not wrong for that man to rape and murder a girl for his pleasure alone. Thereby admitting that he, at least, believes in an absolute wrong, thus conceding the argument.

PureX

Originally posted by RogerB
Puh-leeeeeez!

Would you want to know God? Yes or no? No need to add a bunch of hocus pocus hogwash.
I can't "know" an infinite being. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? For me to "know" God would require that I be omniscient. Are you asking me would I like to be omniscient, so I could know God? If so, the answer is "no". I think omniscience would be horrible. When everything is known, and nothing is unknown, what point would there be to living?

Eireann

Re: Right is right, you are wrong!

Re: Right is right, you are wrong!

Not at all. This is your idea of what an absolute right and wrong is, but it contains the same error that Zaaa-Kath’s statement did.

It makes no difference what any culture or society thinks is right or wrong to prove that a moral absolute exists. Only that each and everyone in the world recognizes the fact that there is something that they recognize as an absolute right or absolute wrong.
That's what I just said, and that's what all of you have thus far failed to establish. Furthermore, not only must everyone in the world recognize "something" as absolutely right or wrong (in other words, the condition of its being right or wrong cannot possibly change at any time under any circumstances), but that "something" must be the SAME something.

For Zaaaa-Kath, he recognized that it was absolutely wrong for a man to rape and murder a young child for his pleasure. Zaaaa-kath recognized that there was no way, in the present, the past or the future, that he could admit to himself that it was not wrong for that man to rape and murder a girl for his pleasure alone.
He did? And when exactly did he admit this, especially as an absolute? I don't recall any such admission ever being made. Do you? I recall several of you reading that into things because it is what you desperately wanted to see, but I don't recall Zakath ever actually saying any such thing.

Thereby admitting that he, at least, believes in an absolute wrong, thus conceding the argument.
Again, when and where did Zakath say any such thing? I must have missed it.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Neither you or Zaaa-Kath will get breakfast in hell.

Neither you or Zaaa-Kath will get breakfast in hell.

The understanding of humans, while vast and impressive, is still very limited in the bigger scope of things. To use your mathematical examples: these don't serve as absolute and irrefutable proof that such things cannot be done or that such a number does not exist. They serve only as proofs that no one thus far has managed to find a way to trisect an angle with the conditions presented, and that no one thus far has managed to conclude that the set of possible positive real numbers is finite. It doesn't mean conclusively that they aren't finite, only that no one has been able to wrap their brains around the idea that they possibly could be finite at some point.:kookoo:
Oh yeah, and maybe someday they’ll prove that a triangle really is a square, and that blue really is red. Go ahead and live your life with that kind of belief system. The rest of us will go for reality.

Eireann

Re: Neither you or Zaaa-Kath will get breakfast in hell.

Re: Neither you or Zaaa-Kath will get breakfast in hell.

Oh yeah, and maybe someday they’ll prove that a triangle really is a square, and that blue really is red. Go ahead and live your life with that kind of belief system. The rest of us will go for reality.
I'm not talking about probabilities. I'm talking about possibilities. Can you say with ABSOLUTE certainty (which would require omniscience on your part) that God won't at some point in the future decide to change the laws of physics so that what you just proposed could occur? Can you say with ABSOLUTE certainty (which would require omniscience on your part) that it will not ever happen? Are you going to dictate what God will or will not do in the future? And if so, have you informed God yet of this? I wonder what S/He/It thinks about that.

By the way, since it's a uniform mathematical law that triangles always contain no more and no less than three angles totalling 180 degrees formed by three straight lines, is it possible to draw a single triangle that has three 90-degree angles?

And to repeat the original question, in case it got lost in the mathematical riddle: can God change his mind about the laws of physics?

Last edited:

PureX

Originally posted by LightSon
This is an amazing response PureX.
First you presume to "define" God on behalf of atheists.
Second, you assert that such "condition...does not exist"
Third, you assert "I don't "disbelieve" in God ardently or any other way."

In conclusion and to summarize your points,
You do not disbelieve in that which you have defined to not exist.

I am speechless.
I am not an atheist. I was not defining God on anyone's behalf. I was simply stating the most common belief regarding the nature of God: that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. These are infinite states that we, as finite beings cannot actually experience, and therefor cannot "know". Yet my inability to "know" God does not deny me the ability to choose to believe in the existence of God. Which I choose to do.

JanowJ

Murder is subjective?

Murder is subjective?

Zakath Wrote:
--The problem is that, due to the subjective nature of man, one man's evil can be another's virtue.

--The suicide bomber is a hero in his occupied village.

Zakath,
Can I have your address? I'm thinking of eliminating you, which I'm sure many people on this board would think is virtuous. Also, would it be absolutely wrong for me to kill your family? After all, some might call me a hero for doing so.

Eireann

Re: Murder is subjective?

Re: Murder is subjective?

Originally posted by JanowJ
Zakath Wrote:
--The problem is that, due to the subjective nature of man, one man's evil can be another's virtue.

--The suicide bomber is a hero in his occupied village.

Zakath,
Can I have your address? I'm thinking of eliminating you, which I'm sure many people on this board would think is virtuous. Also, would it be absolutely wrong for me to kill your family? After all, some might call me a hero for doing so.
Like many of your fellows on here, you seem to be laboring under the fallacy that "wrong" and "absolutely wrong" are the same thing.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by sawrie
I never recieved a reply so I will try this again.
Perhaps you should take the hint. Perhaps no one wants to debate your pseudo-intellectual matrix knockoff philosophical hoo-haw. :rolleyes:

PureX

sawrie,

You seem to be far more interested in insulting people then in actually finding any answers, maybe that's why no one will bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.