Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerB

Upon rereading Enyarts post, it is really a case of "here we go again" in such debates.

And you were actually waiting for either one of them to come up with something that hasn't been said before? :kookoo:

RogerB

Originally posted by Eireann
Then perhaps this debate should be postponed until the afterlife, because that's the only place where proof of either position will likely be found.

Wow! The FIRST intelligent post from Eireann. :jump:

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
What Bob says...

What Bob says...

Rogerb. Wrote:
For the less simple minded, Bob is saying "A world full of scientists have tried and failed for years to explain cells....."
Actually, what he is saying is:

"A world full of scientists have tried to explain cells for years, and have failed to explain it to me in a way that I can actually comprehend without lots of studying. I will therefore, ignore science as a heresy, and cling to my simplistic explanation of 'GOD-DID-IT', because it's easier to understand that than it is to understand what a world full of scientists have to say..."

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
I agree

I agree

Purex wrote:
Zakath is very intelligent, and will recognize this flaw right away. By directly addressing the flaw, he will not have to address ANY of Bob's lines of "evidence", because the reasoning behind each of them is the same. Once the error in that reasoning is exposed, the particulars will no longer need to be addressed.
Well, Bob didn't even present evidence, for starters. All he did was list a bunch of subjects that he has little or no understanding of, and claim that science "has no explanation" (that Bob accepts) them, either, therefore, "GOD-DID-IT" is the only acceptable answer. That is not a presentation of evidence. It is a presentation of IGNORANCE. Evidence is something POSITIVE and TANGIBLE that can be examined. What Bob presented simply doesn't qualify as evidence in a legal or a scientific sense.
But I can already see how this whole "battle" will end up. As usual, people will see, hear, and recognize only the ideas they wish to, and they will ignore or deny the others.
Yes. These types of "prove God exists/doesn't exist" debates always follow the same pattern. They start off with a bunch of "factoids", some of which are not even true. The atheist debunks the factoids, or shows their flaws, then the Christian comes back with a whole bunch of NEW factoids, while ignoring the ones previously presented. In all of this, the atheist is constantly occupied with correcting the Christian's mistakes, rather than making their own case. If they miss explaining a single factoid, the Christian will jump all over them for it.

The best alternative defense is for the atheist to just ignore fatuous and inane arguments (like those presented, and simply make their case, and stick to their own case, while ignoring the Christians' evidence. This will put the Christian in the position of trying to counter easily researched scientific facts, and is also where they tend to fail. They almost always end up blowing off the whole scientific community in favor of conspiracy theories, or stick only to approved "Christian" scientists like Hugh Ross or Kent Hovind.
No one's mind will be opened or changed. They will merely become more entrenched in what they already believe to be the "truth". Bob will be declared the "winner" regardless of anything he or Zakath posts, because Bob represents what most people here want to believe. The truth has nothing to do with it.
Exactly. Even when the Christians fail to seriously damage the atheist's case, they always fall back on the old "well, you're going to hell, and I'm not, so you lose anyway!"

Anyone here remember Bob B., and all of his claims that never came true? When questioned about his sources, he just said "I got it out of my own head!", because he hadn't actually researched. He was either making it up, or didn't want to be bothered with providing anything to back up his assertions.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Wedge
So do you admit that God is causing some suffering then?

No, but does this mean you're admitting there's a God?

This says nothing.

Whether you like it or not, it's the answer to your question.

It is equivalent to saying that the universe is eternal.

No it's not. The universe is created. God isn't.

It wins no points on either side of the debate.

I'm not trying win any points -- I was just answering your question.

If Enyart wants to enforce the premise that everything has a cause, this should also apply to any gods.

I don't believe that's his premise. Only created things have a cause. God isn't created -- He's the Creator.

If its not important to proving the non-existence of a god then why should Zakath be asked to devote time in answering the question?

If he wants to prove the non-existence of God, then he needs to come up with a plausible explanation for the origin of life.

One Eyed Jack

Re: What Bob says...

Originally posted by Psycho Dave

"A world full of scientists have tried to explain cells for years, and have failed to explain it to me in a way that I can actually comprehend without lots of studying.

They don't have an explanation. All the studying in the world isn't going to help you understand something that isn't there.

I will therefore, ignore science as a heresy, and cling to my simplistic explanation of 'GOD-DID-IT', because it's easier to understand that than it is to understand what a world full of scientists have to say..."

Scientist don't have much to say on the origin of the cell, because they've yet to figure it out. Of course if you can trot out a model that deals with all of the questions Bob has put forth, I'd sure like to see it. I'm sure the rest of the scientific community would too.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Oh Boy, another debate about creationism and evolution. ...snore....

I thought Enyart would do better than that.

RogerB

Originally posted by Psycho Dave
Rogerb. Wrote:

"A world full of scientists have tried to explain cells for years, and have failed to explain it to me in a way that I can actually comprehend without lots of studying. I will therefore, ignore science as a heresy, and cling to my simplistic explanation of 'GOD-DID-IT', because it's easier to understand that than it is to understand what a world full of scientists have to say..."

Just how dense are you? I believe Bob embraces everything science has to say about cells....and everything they can't say about them.

RogerB

the atheist is constantly occupied with correcting the Christian's mistakes, rather than making their own case

So no atheist on the face of the Earth has ever presented their case for the non-existence of God? I wonder why? Maybe you could take the time to state it here for posterity. That way, all atheists in the future can just point to your post as the be-all, end-all complete and unhindered case against God.

Flipper

It has a straw blonde wig and some messily applied lipstick smeared over it, but I still recognize that old saw, Pascal's Wager.

RogerB

Originally posted by Flipper
It has a straw blonde wig and some messily applied lipstick smeared over it, but I still recognize that old saw, Pascal's Wager.

Are you referring to sawrie's last post? If so, I don't see Pascal's Wager. Take the easy way out why don't you. Why not just follow-up every post by :zakath: with "Yeah!".

philosophizer

Originally posted by Wedge
If its not important to proving the non-existence of a god then why should Zakath be asked to devote time in answering the question? Sounds like a case in which Enyart wants to say "heads I win, tails you get nothing".

Zakath is an atheist, not an agnostic. He claims that God does not exist, thus his entering into this debate. Now maybe for the agnostic, the origin of life isn't that important. They can just sit happily in their ignorance. But for an atheist, this is just one of many things that must be explained to lay the framework for a belief system. To believe that there is no God is an absolute claim. It must then have alternative answers for each of the questions that theism explains. If Zakath is the good little atheist he thinks he is, he should be able to provide these alternative answers. If he is lacking any answers, he should either re-evaluate his position or regress into agnosticism.

Brenda

Sawrie, sorry, I can't keep up with 60 pages of posts and still have a life in the outside world, but has anyone laughed at your line of reasoning and "the matrix?" I saw discussion on this board about the movie before the 2nd one came out.

I find it more amusing than anything else to think that maybe our lives aren't "real." I've lost time to continue my study of philosophy, so there's probably an answer to this, but I guess I wonder if it matters what is real and what isn't in this sense. It's real to me, and I have no choice but to live as if it were, do I? What would I do differently if I thought it was the matrix? How would I get out? In some sense, I already believe it is the matrix, but I want to do my best here while I wait to be taken out of it.

I'm so afraid to post on here because I am so out of practice. The more I learn the more I know I don't know. Maybe I'll just keep lurking till I become wise. hee hee!

Brenda

Okay, I've had some updated thoughts on my last post. I guess if we knew what was outside of the matrix we'd be better prepared once we're taken out.

See, out of practice. I'm going back to lurking.

August

Brenda wrote:
< I guess I wonder
if it matters what is real and what isn't in this sense.>

The question as to its reality is the classical Cartesian argument - the only witness to its reality is a part of itself; i.e., the physical sense organs and nerve cells. The argument that it is, in some sense, unreal goes back to Solon through Plato, and also from Krishna and Buddha. (The physical world is maja - illusion.)
Matrix emphasizes that our experience occurs within the brain, and, as in dreams, doesn't actually require an external world for stimulus. Now, if you wake up from a nightmare, aren't you greatly relieved that it wasn't real? It made a difference, didn't it?

< It's real to me, and I have no choice but to
live as if it were, do I?>

This is the reasoning of the pragmatist, Santayana. From a practical point of view, your actions would be unaffected by the problem. However, this view is that of the materialist, and ignores the possibility of spiritual reality as an alternative.

<What would I do differently if I thought it was the matrix? How would I get
out?>
I think that is a more profound question than you realize, and I am convinced that it has an answer, but not one that you would readily accept.
BTW, it is interesting that if Zakath had accepted Sawrie's reasoning, he could have used it to refute Enyart's argument that God created the physical world. He could have just asked, "What physical world?".
If it exists, then its creation by God is a possible explanation, but there are others. I would like to see Zakath offer an alternate. I hope that we will see some direct argument for the nonexistence of God. We don't want to suffer through that old Thomas Aquinas - Hume business all over again.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
One-eyed Jack said:
They (scientists) don't have an explanation. All the studying in the world isn't going to help you understand something that isn't there.
Exactly. This is why I laugh every time a religious person tries to justify their god's existence on "scientific grounds". They never provide any scientific proofs for their gods. they merely admit their own ignorance of science, and mankind's ignorance of subjects that are nearly impossible to study due to the reality of mankind's limits.

Scientist don't have much to say on the origin of the cell, because they've yet to figure it out.
True. But a current lack of an answer is not "evidence" of God. It is merely an admission of our current limited knowledge. Bob has merely succeeded in asserting, rather than proving anything.
Of course if you can trot out a model that deals with all of the questions Bob has put forth, I'd sure like to see it. I'm sure the rest of the scientific community would too.
I would simply refer you to an exobiologist or a field researcher in microbiology. They have more knowledge on the subject than Bob or I do.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Rogerb wrote:
Just how dense are you? I believe Bob embraces everything science has to say about cells....and everything they can't say about them.

If Bob embraces science, he could at least start out by learning the basic formal logic to avoid fallacies such as he presented in his first argument. Lack of a human explanation to totally and completely explain a given scientific phenomenon is not proof of God. It is nothing but proof of our incomplete knowledge.

Psycho Dave

BANNED
Banned
Rogerb wrote:
So no atheist on the face of the Earth has ever presented their case for the non-existence of God? I wonder why? Maybe you could take the time to state it here for posterity. That way, all atheists in the future can just point to your post as the be-all, end-all complete and unhindered case against God.
Roger, if you could be so kind as to refrain from your ignorant and childish wisecracking for a minute, I will present you with links to many atheists' cases against God. The case has been made again and again by various people, but these cases are rarely discussed in online forums like this because people like you are simply not interested in it, and would rather resort to wisecracking and innuendo.

Here ar the links:

http://www.ffrf.org/fttoday/march2000/smith.html
(I have read George Smith's books, and by far, his books are the best on the subject)

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/pdf/ng/ft/atheist.html

http://www.webspawner.com/users/mrskeptical2000/

http://www.thevillageatheist.co.uk/dontbelieve.html

http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9656.htm

http://www.infidels.org/index.shtml

(Note: I do not necessarily agree 100% with any of these sites, but am simply presenting them as examples of "many" atheists who have made a case against God)

Status
Not open for further replies.