Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadsworth

re atheist and SETI

re atheist and SETI

Yet once more, Evolution is NOT random, but is constrained by the processes of Natural selection, which can be subdivided into Ecological and Sexual selection. Even mutations, it is now thought, are not completley random either, but are effected by chemical and other environmental factors
As for SETI, we (atheist) scientists believe that life is likely to have begun anywhere in the Universe, not just on earth. In fact Earth may have been colonised.

attention

Re: re Time is the enemy of Evolution -part 2

Re: re Time is the enemy of Evolution -part 2

Originally posted by Wadsworth
I forgot to add in my above statement that because the fossil record is being filled in so rapidly, therefore time is in fact the enemy of Creationists. Evolution is filling the gaps whereas creation "science" is at a standstill.

What has "creation" science to do with evolution?

"creation" science is the science of creation, right?

Like we created a car, a computer, a space vehicle, etc.

All that is of course proof for creation. Not for evolution.
A car did not develop itself. A car was created.

In the course of ehhhhhhh..... a development process of about 5.000 years at least (taking the "invention" of the wheel as the first step in car engineering and development).

LightSon

Re: re atheist and SETI

Re: re atheist and SETI

Yet once more, Evolution is NOT random, but is constrained by the processes of Natural selection, which can be subdivided into Ecological and Sexual selection.
“Natural selection”. Just what is that? It is a veiled term which refers to hindsight judgments of the value in a process which cannot be defined. For example, man is a elegant biped. We look at man, as a species, and judge him to be some epitome of this “natural selection” process. Any aesthetic value must be arbitrary if God does not exist. There is no reason to conclude that man is better or “more evolved” than had he turned out to be an Ewok or a Wookie. On the contrary, the value we place on man is substantive because our aesthetic sense was placed there by our creator. There is a reason why my wife looks good to me as opposed to the female bovine grazing in the field next door.“Natural selection” is used in lieu of "random", but you cannot tell me why the preference. Why not "random" if there is no objective sense as to which is better: man or Ewoks?

Who’s to say our mating habits are better than say chimps? I know why, but I draw my sense of morality from a God inspired source. If you say monogamy is best, it is because you smuggle the value in from a Judeo-Christian model (and then deny it), or try to argue that it too is a product of the ineffable Natural Selection.

“Natural selection”. Just what is that? How did “it” know to make man with 2 legs and not 4? How did it know to make man enjoy a sunset? What is the purpose in that? How is it I enjoy music? Is there any “Natural selection” reason why I need to enjoy Mozart in order to survive and advance to some new level? Why should ears and hearing develop at all? There is nothing I need about hearing which is crucial to my survival.

In short, “Natural selection” does not account for the wonder and beauty I see in life. As far as I can tell, one might as well call it “intelligent design”, but then you might be tempted to admit there is a designer, and that would cut across your faith position that God must not exist.

As for SETI, we (atheist) scientists believe that life is likely to have begun anywhere in the Universe, not just on earth. In fact Earth may have been colonised.
I once heard Carl Sagan suggest that our universe is “teeming with life”. Well okay; that’s pretty fanciful. I like Star Trek as much as the next egg head, so when the extra-terrestrials land on Earth and make first contact, I hope it makes it into the news papers. I won’t hold my breath.

Its funny how you can allow for fantasy like this, but can’t fathom that all that makes life special is a gift from a benevolent God.

Wadsworth

Re: Re: re Time is the enemy of Evolution -part 2

Originally posted by attention

In the course of ehhhhhhh..... a development process of about 5.000 years at least (taking the "invention" of the wheel as the first step in car engineering and development).
It has nothing to do with Evolution., but they, the Creationists think it does.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Originally posted by attention

Less than 150 years ago the Civil War was fought with horses and muskets, and a few years later the West was settled by people travelling with covered wagons ( Yesterday, I took some visiters to the local museum to see the Lincoln carriage he used to get to the Ford Theater that fateful night).

Later we talked about the stunning changes witnessed by her father, who died a few years ago at the age of 95. How can we explain what happened to cause the amazing acceleration of technical change that has occurred almost within the lifetime of people alive today or who died not that long ago?

Some of the things mentioned were: freedom, agricultural mechanization, interchangable parts, the printing press, universal education, "critical mass" of brainpower, etc.

There are many theories which try to explain this fairly recent phenomenon in history, but one thing is certain: technical advance is by no means a linear process.

Wadsworth

Re: Re: re atheist and SETI

Re: Re: re atheist and SETI

Originally posted by LightSon
“Natural selection”. Just what is that? It is a veiled term which refers to hindsight judgments of the value in a process which cannot be defined. For example, man is a elegant biped. We look at man, as a species, and judge him to be some epitome of this “natural selection” process. Any aesthetic value must be arbitrary if God does not exist. There is no reason to conclude that man is better or “more evolved” than had he turned out to be an Ewok or a Wookie. On the contrary, the value we place on man is substantive because our aesthetic sense was placed there by our creator. There is a reason why my wife looks good to me as opposed to the female bovine grazing in the field next door.“Natural selection” is used in lieu of "random", but you cannot tell me why the preference. Why not "random" if there is no objective sense as to which is better: man or Ewoks?

Who’s to say our mating habits are better than say chimps? I know why, but I draw my sense of morality from a God inspired source. If you say monogamy is best, it is because you smuggle the value in from a Judeo-Christian model (and then deny it), or try to argue that it too is a product of the ineffable Natural Selection.

“Natural selection”. Just what is that? How did “it” know to make man with 2 legs and not 4? How did it know to make man enjoy a sunset? What is the purpose in that? How is it I enjoy music? Is there any “Natural selection” reason why I need to enjoy Mozart in order to survive and advance to some new level? Why should ears and hearing develop at all? There is nothing I need about hearing which is crucial to my survival.

In short, “Natural selection” does not account for the wonder and beauty I see in life. As far as I can tell, one might as well call it “intelligent design”, but then you might be tempted to admit there is a designer, and that would cut across your faith position that God must not exist.

I once heard Carl Sagan suggest that our universe is “teeming with life”. Well okay; that’s pretty fanciful. I like Star Trek as much as the next egg head, so when the extra-terrestrials land on Earth and make first contact, I hope it makes it into the news papers. I won’t hold my breath.

Its funny how you can allow for fantasy like this, but can’t fathom that all that makes life special is a gift from a benevolent God.
you havr hit the nail on the head when you ask why your wife looks good to you. It is, as I mentioned earlier, due to sexual selection, which is part of natural selection. Males and females, in all species select each other according to traits they find attractive. These are very variable across the span of human races, and therefore appear to be arbitrary. Evoution is guided by natural processes, and in a sense,natural processes eg, floods and draugts, may be said to be arbitrary, or even random . On the other hand, nothing is truly random, because everything is subject to cause and effect. It only appears random because of the intricate interweaving of causal pathways, in which it is easy to lose the thread of what causes what. But there is no divine purpose leading to us, we humans have just arrogantly assumed the position of top species because we are able to speak, read Shakespeare, and destroy the earths habitat at a phenomenl rate, unknown in any other species. When humans have cut down the last tree, and shot the last animal, will you still be praising God for a beautiful earth, and thinking how "superior" we all are?

Corky the Cat

BANNED
Banned
Re: Re: Re: re Time is the enemy of Evolution -part 2

Re: Re: Re: re Time is the enemy of Evolution -part 2

Originally posted by bob b
There are many theories which try to explain this fairly recent phenomenon in history, but one thing is certain: technical advance is by no means a linear process.

Your right there, check this

It's a big read but very interesting!

LightSon

Males and females, in all species select each other according to traits they find attractive.
Yes. But the delineation of male and female is by design. You speak of “Natural Selection” as if it were some kind of cosmological drive. If there is a principle at work, where did it come from? Male and female are constants, not realized through a random happenstance. They are machinations of a designer. You have de-personalized God and shrouded His handiwork in the guise of “Natural selection”.

everything is subject to cause and effect
And what was the first cause? Or should I say, who was the first cause?
But there is no divine purpose leading to us, we humans have just arrogantly assumed the position of top species because we are able to speak, read Shakespeare, and destroy the earths habitat at a phenomenl rate, unknown in any other species.
It may be inconsistent for you to call it arrogance. In your view, why isn’t our “position” one of “Natural Selection”. Perhaps you should hold that this is our appointed place in the food chain as decreed by “Natural Selection”.
When humans have cut down the last tree, and shot the last animal, will you still be praising God for a beautiful earth, and thinking how "superior" we all are?
You blur world views. If man does demolish the Earth, you must be compelled to say it is a product of “natural selection”. It is our destiny. The cosmic forces which made us evolve, also signaled our fate and that by our own hands.

Yes I do hold to Divine purpose in all I see. Every good thing is a gift from a creator. Every blight is a result of man presuming to act in self-centered ways, contrary to God’s will. It is a good thing (for the planet) that God has charged man with being good stewards. The Earth is the Lord’s and we are just taking care of it, by His command. Consequently we need to manage it in wisdom. This would preclude ravaging its resources. Of course, the heart of man is wicked, so it is not unlikely that we will do as you suggest. I am compelled to praise God in spite of man’s wicked and selfish proclivities.

I do see myself as superior to animals. I do not see myself as superior to other men. I see myself as subordinate to God. This is the proper order of things. It is when man rejects God that man effectively elevates animals to a position of equal worth. It is no wonder that certain godless groups spend themselves to save the whales and simultaneously lobby for the right to destroy unborn humans. This is what I call “twisted”.

Wadsworth

Originally posted by LightSon
Yes. But the delineation of male and female is by design. You speak of “Natural Selection” as if it were some kind of cosmological drive. If there is a principle at work, where did it come from? Male and female are constants, not realized through a random happenstance. They are machinations of a designer. You have de-personalized God and shrouded His handiwork in the guise of “Natural selection”.

And what was the first cause? Or should I say, who was the first cause?

It may be inconsistent for you to call it arrogance. In your view, why isn’t our “position” one of “Natural Selection”. Perhaps you should hold that this is our appointed place in the food chain as decreed by “Natural Selection”.

You blur world views. If man does demolish the Earth, you must be compelled to say it is a product of “natural selection”. It is our destiny. The cosmic forces which made us evolve, also signaled our fate and that by our own hands.

Yes I do hold to Divine purpose in all I see. Every good thing is a gift from a creator. Every blight is a result of man presuming to act in self-centered ways, contrary to God’s will. It is a good thing (for the planet) that God has charged man with being good stewards. The Earth is the Lord’s and we are just taking care of it, by His command. Consequently we need to manage it in wisdom. This would preclude ravaging its resources. Of course, the heart of man is wicked, so it is not unlikely that we will do as you suggest. I am compelled to praise God in spite of man’s wicked and selfish proclivities.

I do see myself as superior to animals. I do not see myself as superior to other men. I see myself as subordinate to God. This is the proper order of things. It is when man rejects God that man effectively elevates animals to a position of equal worth. It is no wonder that certain godless groups spend themselves to save the whales and simultaneously lobby for the right to destroy unborn humans. This is what I call “twisted”.

Actually, males and females are not all that constant; there are gradations of sexual identity, hence the existence of hermaphrodites, bisexuals, homosexuals, heterosexuals, non-sexuals etc.
the first cause argument has been argued ad nauseam ever since Thomas Aquinas. Current scientific opinion is that there was no first cause. The Universe is temporally Infinite.
It is a you say: natural selection applies to us too, but it does not have to be our destiny, we can rebel against it. We have the advantage of a large thinking brain, and we can halt the destructive effects of evolution , if we have the collective will. perhaps the forest and animals might survive after all; but it is not looking good for them so far; example, poachers exterminating the great apes for "bush meat", and other body parts for perfumes and other products, or just souvenirs; also human expansion into their habitats. if we are God's stewards of the Earth, as some think, then we are making a rotten job of it.

Wadsworth

re retirement

re retirement

I have enjoyed discussing (arguing) with all of you, but I feel I am spending too much time and energy on this, and we are unlikely to make furthur progress. It is insoluble, like the Palestinian problem. So I think I am going to withdraw for now and take a break. Nice chatting with you. bye for now, Wadsworth.

D the Atheist

Originally posted by Heino
You too. Please stop using Nazi so light. I know you are just responding to the other guy, who is calling evolutionists Nazis. Everyone must learn to get a grip and stop calling everyone a Nazi. It is very distracting and divisive, and causes people to lose track of the issue... whatever the issue was. I forgot already!

I have never called nor do I call anyone Nazi’s. I was in fact correcting a small error of language that I did not want perpetuated.

But whilst we are on the subject, the Nazi situation is one that all should know about and understand or we leave it open for such things to continue to happen.

It was a fine example of people in power or aspirants, using and abusing language and ideas for self gain with no regard to the consequences. We (All humans) can be very gullible and pliable under certain conditions such as in times of prevailing and desperate poverty, political unrest, lack of certainty and fear for the future etc.

Our prejudices can be played upon.

The opposite to exploring our past so as not to relive it, is the Japanese way, deny it, wipe it out of the history books and make out it did not happen.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Bigotboy
I said evidence because when dealing with the proof of God it is pretty rare that one event will be taken as absolute proof, especially if the event is fairly old. To me, the resurrection is the proof of Gods existence. From there it is no stretch to think that God can convey His attributes to man in the form of the Bible. As was mentioned in an earlier post, the biblical God has a personality, he is not a “thing”. He defines himself in the Bible. And why can’t he exist as he has described himself ?

First, we unfortunately have no direct evidence of the resurrection; we have a story in a book. This story may be true, and many people do, in fact, believe it to be true, but I don't think that very many of them confuse this belief with "evidence".

Chuckie himself described the Darwinian model: random changes in the cells of living creatures caused some to survive better than others, and also lead to new creatures.

That is an extremely oversimplified - to the point of being almost unusable - statement of current evolutionary models. And please note that "random changes in the cells" (i.e., mutations) do not make for a process that is, in its overall workings, random.

So Mark F. Eastman ,M.D.; Wayne Frair, Ph.D.; Patricia Nason, Ph.D., and a couple of hundred other lettered people are laymen ? Do laymen get published in the professional journals ?

In many of these cases, yes, they are laymen with respect to the field in question. Simply having a collection of letters after your name does not a professional make for a particular field. A good example of this, unrelated to the topic at hand, is William Shockley - despite being a Nobel laureate for his work in solid-state physics, Shockley also got a lot of attention for some rather unorthodox racial views; neither his Ph.D. or his Nobel Prize in any way qualified him as an expert in that field, but he still leveraged those credentials into getting unwarranted credibility there. Similarly, a lot of creationists are trotting out degrees that really have nothing to do with the topics they're commenting on. There are admittedly a small number who do have advanced degrees in fields which appear relevant; Frair is an example. But if simply have a person with a Ph.D. in the field claiming something is all it takes to make that proposition believable, we should note that the overwhelming majority of holders of advanced degrees in biology, zoology, paleontology, cosmology, etc., etc., etc., are staunch supporters of the conventional scientific models. Do you really want to propose that such questions should be decided by the number of "experts" you can get to testify for one side or the other?

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Bigotboy
Oh PLEASSEEE. More people have died because of Darwinism than because of the Bible. Adolph was a Darwinist, as evidenced by the move to have the German High Court declare that Jews were non human (read less evolved), and thus not under the protection of the law.

This, of course, is utter nonsense. You cannot blame "Darwinism" for the actions of Adolph Hitler (or anyone else) unless you can show that a belief in "Darwinism" CAUSED his actions (as opposed to merely being used, among other things - including Christianity! - in an attempt to justify them). If anything Hitler believed or "was" could be held accountable for his actions, then we should also indict the conditions of having a mustache or liking Wagnerian opera!

On the other hand, it is quite clear the religious beliefs of all stripes HAVE directly been responsible for a very, very great amount of bloodshed through history. This is not an indictment of Christianity vs. any other religion, or truly of the fundamental teachings of religion itself - it says more about what human beings use to justify or rationalize their actions than anything else.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by isaiah 1:18
Some aspects are indeed factual (Adaptation to some respect and natural selection to some respect). But many ideas born of evolutionary concepts are pure speculation that is allowed to pass as fact under the banner of science, but has yet to be proven or experimented in such a manner as to be able to falsify.

Please give an example. I suspect you will respond with "speciation", in which case I would hope you also include your definition of a "species".

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by isaiah 1:18
And Heino, what parts of Evolutionary theory are unscientific? That's simple. The parts that have not be set to experimentation such that they can be falsified. That's why it is called a THEORY. ;)

I'm afraid you don't have a very good understanding of what "theory" means in a scientific context.

ALL models proposed to explain observations are either "theories" or "hypotheses". If you attempt to dismiss a particular example of scientific thought as "merely a theory", you are simply showing how poorly you understand this concept. Newton's "laws" of motion remain "merely theories," even though they have withstood the test of centuries of experimentation. (They're not even the best models we currently have - they're still used for 99%+ of the problems that come up, though, simply because they still WORK to the required degree of accuracy on all but the most extreme scales.)

Obviously, any theory that makes predictions of processes requiring hundreds, thousands, or millions of years to complete cannot readily be tested in a laboratory. But this does not make them incapable of being falsified. In such cases, you simply see how well the theory continues to correspond to observations of the real world, as those continue to be made. The more new observations that correspond with what would be expected from the theory, the better it will be accepted. In this way, modern evolutionary thought has developed over more than a century of research.

Creationism, on the other hand, fails to qualify as a scientific theory right from the start, simply because it makes absolutely no usable or falsifiable predictions, and relies on literally miraculous processes to have occurred. There is no way these claims can be tested EITHER through laboratory experiment or observation, and so the whole notion lack scientific status of any kind.

And the origin of species is based on a random process for life occuring. Are you going to argue that?

I'll certainly argue it if no one else does, because you make the all-too-common mistake of labelling these processes "random" when in fact they are not. There is randomness involved in some points, but this does not make the overall set of processes that we call "evolution" random in any way. For example, there is a very great deal of randomness going on in, say, the quantum mechanics that underly solid-state physics. That by no means says that a transistor radio behaves "randomly".

Nah. It all stems from the big bang theory. Certain forces and processes came together in a random fashion to create life.

No - not a random fashion at all. These forces and materials come together per the laws of physics and chemistry, and those are not random. The ways in which these things must behave is, in fact, remarkably constrained.

Unless, you are of another school of evolution, that being not the mainstream school, then I fail to see what you are arguing.

I see absolutely no reason to think that you understand the "mainstream school" well enough to be making this sort of judgement.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Knight,

I would be happy to post this as a response to Bob.

I am not an eloquent debater but...

Bobs need to make an little acceptance speech about his "victory" was so pathetic it has prompted me to make a full response to his latest post.

In regard to Higher Biological Functions

I will deal with this issue based on the following:

1. The overall concept of Irreducible Complexity (IC)
2. The specifically mentioned IC issues of vision, flight and echolocation and the giraffes neck as good example so I will deal with how they can come about naturally
3. The reverse of the argument why would a creator makes thing complex anyway ?

1. The overall concept of Irreducible Complexity.

This is the old creationist chestnut of Irreducible complexity. That there are biological functions which are too complex to have formed naturally.

Whenever it is shown that IC things can function without certain parts but with reduced efficiency it is claimed they still need all the other parts.

This highlights the general problem with IC, it is a "God of the Gaps" explanation. Each time we show that a supposedly IC system is not, by removing one part, a supporter can claim that our new system is now "irreducibly complex".

2. The specifically mentioned IC issues of vision, flight and echolocation and the giraffes neck as good example so I will deal with how they can come about naturally

Vision :

I will provide a length reply for vision only (and even then it will be woefully to short).. otherwise I could go to about 10 pages.

In his book Climbing Mount Improbable. Richard Dawkins gives a long and detailed explanation of the advent of vision through quite simple and logical steps. He also list a variety of current creatures which have all the intermediate steps of “eyes” that I am about to discuss.

Fortunately for us many of the steps are still in existence today so it is easy to follow the progression of sight.

The first step to sight was the advent of light sensitive cells. These occur in many creatures still today. Simple cells that can tell the difference between light and shade, etc night and day. They relay a message to the creature about light conditions. How did the cells come about ? It is a complex explanation but I will go into more detail if required. Suffice to say that all cells contain some light sensitivity.. where a creature had heightened light sensitivity in some cells it would be a distinct advantage (to tell the difference between night and day, the shadow of a predator, to find food (be a predator) etc. The cells would be retained and become more sensitive through natural selection.

The cells would be on the surface of creatures as those inside would never be passed on through natural selection (no natural advantage). Those cells that where in a depression on the surface of the creature would also be more advantageous as they would get a more focused amount of light (like a convex lens or mirror). The more focused the more advantageous.

The usefulness of this early “sight” would be significant and any natural advent or mutation that heightened this sense would be immediately taken up and reproduced. The next step would be a focusing mechanism. The more intense the focus the more easily interpreted would be the source. Creatures who had muscles near or around or that could alter the shape of the depression would have the clear advantage of focus. The best form of focus is a small hole that lets light in. Try this yourself with a piece of cardboard with a pinhole in it.

Protection of this sensitive bunch of cells would also be a huge advantage. So if muscles could also close less sensitive skin over the cells it would confer the user a way of retaining vision even after attack or accident. Early creatures (and still many now) have much of their epidermis that is membranous and thin and clear so those that closed clear skin over their eyes would also have a big advantage over other creatures. They could still “see” and protect their eyes.

We now have an effective eye already. While vastly more primitive than a modern human eye it has much of the same function. It can open and close and focus and it can determine all sort of light and dark shade.

The most significant development after this was the interpretation of the light signals. The creatures that better interpreted the light would have a massive advantage over others and this ability would always increase according to evolution theory. The simple fact is out “eyes” are still just a bunch of light sensitive cells.. Evolution of interpretation of what hits those cells provide us with modern vision.

Flight.

Several Dinosaurs were capable of flight. The Pterodactyl etc. There flight evolved from smaller version ability to glide aided by membranes that spread from arm to body. Natural webbing that many reptiles already have. Those with more and more ability to glide would have been successful.

Suffice to say it is difficult to show evolution of modern flight as the first “birds” would have been forest climbers and jumpers. both of which are guaranteed to leave very bad fossil records (little animal + acidic forest soil = no remains).

But we do have clear fossils like archaeopteryx primitive bird like reptiles which have feathers. Feathers could have evolved as a highly efficient lightweight insulation method. The reduction in weight would also aid any gliders and leapers to maintain their “flight”

Suffice to say the flight itself is a huge advantage and any creature than can leap of into the air (from a tree or a cliff) has a huge survival advantage over others. Squirrels leap from trees and some species of possum in Australia can leap prodigious distance using a membrane like early reptiles may have employed.

I promised to be briefer on this topic.

Echolocation

Many thing came together to for this to work but most of them are simple steps.

Hunting at night would have the advantage of avoiding daytime predation and open up all the creatures that are active at night.

Night hunters with better hearing would have an advantage.

Echolocation is just a matter of super sensitive hearing. Make a noise and have hearing good enough o interpret the return (echo) sound. Like sight evolved from mere light sensitive cells, the interpretation of what is heard becomes important and therefore a selected trait.

Giraffes neck.

A giraffes neck has the same number of vertebrae as all mammals.

Simple human breeding could make longer necked creatures in a few hundred years. It is a small stretch to say evolution could do it in millions of years.

/Zakaths Disappearance.

I was disappointed that Zakath retired from the debate. I understand if it was due to the inane way Bob kept asking ridiculous question or claimed they were unanswered.. but the sad thing is it reinforces Bob’s own delusion that he has “won” and proven God’s existence.

Argument against God from materialism

Huesdens/Attention has raised a most cogent argument against God that has not really been ever addressed by Bob.

That is that everything we know is material or stems from material.

Therefore it makes no sense to extrapolate an immaterial thing like God.

Sincerely Steve Ryan

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Bob Enyart writes

Atheist Cliché 1: There is no truth!
Theist Rebuttal: Is that true? [1 second]

Don’t lie now Bob and distort what we say.

Atheist : Truth is a concept devised by humans
Theist : Is that true ?
Atheist : Does it suit your concept of truth ?

Etc etc

Atheist Cliché 2: There are no absolutes!
Theist Rebuttal: Absolutely? [1 second]

Atheist : Absolutes are a concept devised by humans
Theist : Absolutely
Atheist : Are you an idiot ?

Atheist Cliché 3: Only your five senses provide real knowledge!
Theist Rebuttal: Says which of the five? [2 seconds]

Theist : and that rebuttal mean ??.. That you ARE an idiot ?

Atheist Cliché 4: Great suffering proves that a loving God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The unstated assumption is false, that suffering can have no value or purpose. [4.5 seconds]

Please state the purpose of suffering ? So that we can more appreciate non suffering ? That is like a masochist who enjoys being whipped.. not because he like the pain he just likes it when it ends.

Suffering would be a lesson that a malicious tyrannical God would employ.

Atheist Cliché 5: Atheism is scientific, because science does not allow for a supernatural interpretation of an event!
Theist Rebuttal: Such circular reasoning forces science to assume that which atheists claim it supports. [5 seconds]

You better re think that one as it makes no sense. Science MUST assume that the supernatural does not exist. Atheism is just the rejection of supernatural not the ridiculous Theist spin that it is the “belief” in a the non existence of supernatural..

Atheist Cliché 6: Widespread evil proves that a righteous God cannot exist!
Theist Rebuttal: The two unstated assumptions are false: that love can be forced; and that some love is not worth enduring much hate. [6.5 seconds]

Why have the hate in the first place. A normal sensible God would have made things much clearer.

Atheist Cliché 7: If theists claim that the universe could not have always been here, then God couldn’t have always been here either.
Theist Rebuttal: The natural universe is subject to the physical laws, so it would run out of useable energy; a supernatural, spiritual God is not subject to physics. [7.9 seconds]

And God told you this when ?.. The most humorous thing theist do is march out their own attributes of their own little fantasy God to suit their own world view. You are the real creators.. you even create your own God !

If your worldview never made any sense and you constantly have to make stuff up to retain it why do you bother ?

Analogous

Bob's latest non-arguments

Bob's latest non-arguments

This will be the first of a number of rebuttals I will submit to eviscerate Bob's last and final post.

Analogous: Since I wasn’t invited to participate in the final response to Bob’s 10nth round post, (I sent a pm to Flipper but received no reply), I have decided to deconstruct his pseudo-arguments, (such arguments have been made ad naseum by theists for centuries), on my own and in my own way. I would welcome an opportunity to meet Bob in the ring and take him on head up because I dislike responding to arguments not made directly to me but, in this case, I’ll get over it.

Bob: Welcome to the finale of Battle Royale VII. O Zakath, Zakath, wherefore art thou? We'll see if we can find Zakath somewhere in this post! Meanwhile, let's get to work. Millions of students have been taught variations of seven typical atheist clichés. Zakath obscured some of these hidden within his three rather bizarre arguments for atheism. See if you can spot the ones he used. Boiled down to clear statements exposed to the light of day, each of these popular clichés can be disproved within eight seconds.

Atheist Cliché 1: There is no truth!

Theist Rebuttal: Is that true? [1 second]

Analogous: I’m not at all surprised that Bob has resorted to making false statements (that’s lying), so early in his final argument. Zakath responded to Bob’s question about truth with this:

Zakath: Truth and God
Pastor Enyart had asked whether I believe that truth exists. Over the years my experience with a number of religionists, including the good pastor, is that they have presented me with variety of conflicting assertions all of which they proclaim as being truth. That being the case, I asked him to define what he means by "truth". He responded that "truth is a statement of reality". Given that somewhat tautological definition, I will concede that I believe that truth (as defined here) exists. Experientially, I have found that truth appears frequently in human endeavors as science, engineering, mathematics, and medicine. However, in other areas, including those debated frequently here on TOL like politics and theology, what is "true" seems to get a bit murky.

AnalogousIt is obvious that neither Zak, nor any other atheist, holds a position that “there is no truth”. Bob has erected a straw man by equivocating “truth” about the existence of his god with truth in the general sense. But having resorted to lying should disqualify Bob from this debate. It certainly devaluates what little credibility he might have otherwise salvaged in light of all his other erroneous claims.

Bob: Atheist Cliché 2: There are no absolutes!

Theist Rebuttal: Absolutely? [1 second]

Analogous:Since Bob initially launched this straw man argument in reference to “absolute morals” and ended up with conditional statements, he now thinks his silly question “Absolutely?” somehow magically rescues his woeful arguments, that failed to do so earlier. Bob, when are you going to provide any convincing argumentation for these absolutes? But just to answer your question, no Bob, the statement “there are no absolutes” is not an absolute in itself. It’s just as conditional as all other statements of truth, facts and beliefs. Now if you could prove that your god absolutely exists, that would represent one absolute, otherwise pretending that your question somehow negates the statement is nefarious and disingenuous.

This was Bob’s reply on absolute morality: I’ve noticed something peculiar in the Grandstands. Those who disbelieve in right and wrong jump all over anyone trying to define an absolute wrong while describing a condition in the process. Do you realize that nothing could be conceivably right or wrong in the slightest degree, apart from conditions? I believe they protesteth too much over “conditions,” intending to obfuscate. You criticized my examples of child rape for entertainment and racist murder because they “both appear to be conditional.” What isn’t? There are conditions attending to every event, every good and every crime,

Analogous: Either Bob does not ascribe to the English language or he is redefining the concept of absolute. But this is another typical Christian gimmick. Redefine terms such that they no longer bare any resemblance to common usage and definition. Either “absolute” means what it means or it doesn’t. If Bob must usurp the English language to prove his god exists, by the time he gets around to any actual supporting arguments no one will be able to comprehend them because Bob will have so mangled the language we will have to stop and ask Bob for HIS definition of each term to be sure we’re all using the same nouns, pronouns, verbs and adjectives. I thought Zakath did a fair job of demonstrating Bob’s obfuscation here but I would have toasted Bob on this in every round until he got his act together. You just can’t let these theists get away with anything because it comes back to haunt you.

Bob: Atheist Cliché 3: Only your five senses provide real knowledge!

Theist Rebuttal: Says which of the five? [2 seconds]

Analogous: Bob’s little gimmick here is also typical presuppositionalist BS. The believer operates from an epistemology based on faith, revelation, inspiration, and biblical interpretation. The theist makes the unsupported leap that his god created everything, thus the theist robs from the reality of the atheist’s epistemology to make ALL of his lame arguments. Theists like Bob claim that “apart from God, man can know nothing”. But they haven’t established the existence of this god, so these claims are specious and unsupported. Bob’s real problem, however, is in the fact that I, an atheist, can make the valid claim to know that I exist. I make this claim as an atheist…apart from Bob’s god. Bob has to explain how I can know this without pre-empting my epistemology to do so. The ontology of my claim is entirely supported and easily proven. The ontological verification of Bob’s god is the subject of this debate. Bob continually neglects to support any of his specious arguments from his own epistemology. Bob should be reminded that this is a debate on the existence of his god, not a debate on the validity of Bob’s opinions. In the time it took Bob to cook up this gimmick, I can acquire more knowledge from just one of my senses than Bob can from any and all of his epistemological methods. If Bob could describe some scientific truth about reality derived from his epistemology, that science has not been able to ascertain, and I’m speaking of detailed facts here, not Bob’s say-so, then, and only then, will Bob have earned a right to avail himself of my epistemological methodology in his arguments. Theists like Bob always neglect to mention that there was a time when the extent of Christian expertise, obtained from the bible, was a consensus that the world was flat. It took the courage of men, using their senses, to disprove this erroneous interpretation of detailed biblical knowledge about our reality. So much for the dependability of Bob’s epistemology. It took science to straiten out his mess.

BobAtheist Cliché 4: Great suffering proves that a loving God cannot exist!

Theist Rebuttal: The unstated assumption is false, that suffering can have no value or purpose. [4.5 seconds]

Analogous: Theists like Bob always assume the atheist must intuit any and all conceivable theistic defense mechanisms. This “purpose or value” excuse theists use to apologize for their gods temperament towards humanity is another lame argument that I would like an opportunity to discuss with Bob, one on one. If there is “value” in suffering Bob should explain why man goes to great extent to avoid and treat it as an undesirable phenomenon. If there is a purpose, especially from a loving god’s perspective, Bob should get around to articulating what it is. Bob should begin by apologizing for his loving god’s command to Samuel to have the Hebrews perform genocide after commanding man not to kill. This non-absolute, double standard, act of great human suffering and tragedy was allegedly, (according to the biblical record), ordered out of revenge. Is this Bob’s god’s purpose for suffering? Revelation also declares that all things were created for Bob’s god’s pleasure. Does Bob have an explanation as to how or what manner of god derives pleasure from children being born with Down’s Syndrome?

Bob: Atheist Cliché 5: Atheism is scientific, because science does not allow for a supernatural interpretation of an event!

Theist Rebuttal: Such circular reasoning forces science to assume that which atheists claim it supports. [5 seconds]

Analogous: Does Bob really imagine scientists are forced into such assumptions by atheistic claims? Is Bob so ignorant of science that he actually believes this? What makes this claim so bizarre is that Bob used a scientist’s interpretation of molecular biological data in his seventh round to support his specious claims based on irreducible complexity. Either Bob has a short memory or is grasping at straws…yet again. If the majority of progress made by science has failed to turn up any verifiable, falsifiable evidence of Bob’s god, that is not the atheists fault, or the scientists. It is Bob’s god’s fault pure and simple. Bob needs to get on the horn with him and beg for some credible physical data or detailed explanatory knowledge that can be included in scientific journals for peer review.

Bob: Atheist Cliché 6: Widespread evil proves that a righteous God cannot exist!

Theist Rebuttal: The two unstated assumptions are false: that love can be forced; and that some love is not worth enduring much hate. [6.5 seconds]

Analogous: Bob needs to provide some argumentation to support his equivocation of evil with love. Most of us would love it if evil were actually depleted somewhat, but we’re not naive enough to imagine this will happen without some effort on our part. Bob’s god, if it existed, could easily have made it very difficult for man to perpetrate violence against his fellow man. A powerful being who loves man would have any number of ways of doing this. It could have written the aversion into man’s genetic code. This would have, in no way, violated man’s autonomous will. Violence is not NECESSARY to preserve autonomy EXCEPT in cases where men are able and willing to enslave man via force. A human species with an aversion to violence and coercion, written into its genetic code, would have been wonderful evidence for Bob’s god. Bob must get busy and argue convincingly that “some love” is worth preserving against hate. Would Bob advocate a woman continue to love a husband who abused her for perverted pleasure? Then Bob should justify a god who lifts not a finger to rescue such a woman from circumstances like this, but leaves the rescuing up to man.

Bob: Atheist Cliché 7: If theists claim that the universe could not have always been here, then God couldn’t have always been here either.

Theist Rebuttal: The natural universe is subject to the physical laws, so it would run out of useable energy; a supernatural, spiritual God is not subject to physics. [7.9 seconds]

Analogous: Come on Bob, surely you’ve got more than this? The universe hasn’t been shown to be a closed system Bob, so there’s no evidence to support a claim of running out of usable energy. The 2nd law of thermodynamics only works in a closed system. Adding a god into the mixture violates “the Razor” and fails to justify either the existence of the universe or Bob’s god. Bob is trying to stuff another gap here.

Bob: If your worldview can be dismantled within eight seconds, then get a better one.

Analogous: If you call this dismantling, you’ve got some serious mental deficiencies. Aside from the irrelevancy of the amount of time it takes to present genuine convincing arguments, your stupid little one liners are about as lame and erroneous as they come.

Bob: The atheistic worldview, like the world’s pagan religions, is self-contradictory and undermines morality, reason, and the worth of the human being.

Analogous: Wrong again Bob, atheism has zilch to do with pagan religions like Christianity. Atheism upholds man’s personal responsibility for his behavior, extols the virtues of reason and holds a common inter-subjective value for all of human life. It’s called Humanism. Theism, on the other hand, if it finds a religious justification, (and they abound in the bible), for violence against other humans who disagree with its utterly abysmal moral claims, will gladly incite to riot, witch hunts, genocide, martyrdom, slavery, lying, murder, rape and pillage…as history has attested to, over and over. Bob’s holy book is full of it and much of it has been commanded or approved of by his god. Bob, and his ilk, seem to imagine their god just allows this kind of behavior, but even a precursory glance at his holy babble is sufficient to show that his god has participated in the bloodletting, encouraged it, sanctioned it, and suggested/commanded it. This goes far beyond a mere allowing it to happen for some lame unknown purpose that not even Bob can fathom.

The rest of Bob’s incomprehensible rant against Zakath, from which he tries to drag all atheists into, isn’t worth responding to. I only hope Bob consents to join me in the ring and tries this lame duck warmed over irrationalization he calls an argument for the existence of a god. I won’t be so kind and Bob won’t enjoy it. I will, however, continue to dismantle Bob’s pseudo-arguments as time permits and post them for all to see.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Analgous,

Much better stated than me.. hence my disclaimer about my own eloquence.

Bob's last 2 posts are so badly riddled with childish "mollify the true believers" crap that I honestly believe he did not think he would be taken to task over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.