Atheists, do you hope you're right?

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
I wouldn't neglect a god who came out from behind the curtain.
How do theists know that the real god isn't being neglected by them as well as by atheists if they happen to be attending to a false one?

Everyone has the option of belief in one's eternal security. I opted to believe because I do not very much like the idea of dying to an eternity of oblivion, and certainly not an eternity of regret if there should be a Creator with a mind for perfect righteousness.

The argument against such a being is honestly weak, I came to realize. You don't have an explanation for the origins of this reality, and yet there is an extraordinary testimony and history which tells of an equally extraordinary God.

alwight

Everyone has the option of belief in one's eternal security. I opted to believe because I do not very much like the idea of dying to an eternity of oblivion, and certainly not an eternity of regret if there should be a Creator with a mind for perfect righteousness.

The argument against such a being is honestly weak, I came to realize. You don't have an explanation for the origins of this reality, and yet there is an extraordinary testimony and history which tells of an equally extraordinary God.
I'm not sure I could ever choose to believe, rather than simply being persuaded by the evidence.
I'm also not sure what worries me more, oblivion or an endless existence as me?
I see oblivion as being how it was before I existed and it didn't worry me a bit.:plain:

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
I'm not sure I could ever choose to believe, rather than simply being persuaded by the evidence.
I'm also not sure what worries me more, oblivion or an endless existence as me?
I see oblivion as being how it was before I existed and it didn't worry me a bit.:plain:

Meh, you have all the free will you believe you have under the ordinance of predestination. That's the beauty of it really.

There's not a single person who has been on death row, persecuted, martyred, or otherwise executed and accepted an idea that there is nothing after death.

Atheism is essentially fatalism, and while I suppose there is peace in the oblivion you speak of, why would you want to go that route if you know the very real and evidenced possibility of a god who will have you live for eternity?

Tyrathca

There's not a single person who has been on death row, persecuted, martyred, or otherwise executed and accepted an idea that there is nothing after death.
Not only is that an evidence free lie it is also deeply insulting.

Atheism is essentially fatalism, and while I suppose there is peace in the oblivion you speak of, why would you want to go that route if you know the very real and evidenced possibility of a god who will have you live for eternity?
I don't "want" any such Oblivion, but what I want is irrelevant. The problem is that I don't think there is a real and evidenced possibility of your claims being true ergo I CAN'T believe.

Ben Masada

Atheists, do you hope you're right?

How could we hope to be right! As long as Ben Masada is around, we can't. Let us get together and meet him on the floor!

Last edited:

alwight

Not only is that an evidence free lie it is also deeply insulting.

I don't "want" any such Oblivion, but what I want is irrelevant. The problem is that I don't think there is a real and evidenced possibility of your claims being true ergo I CAN'T believe.
Nope, you're right, I've just tried as hard as I can and what I believe is still the same, I can't seem to shift it. :plain:

alwight

Meh, you have all the free will you believe you have under the ordinance of predestination. That's the beauty of it really.
Since you seem to know about predestination, is eternity likewise predestined? Does God ultimately determine and control everything eternally even if there is a delusion of free will?
I really don't like the idea of that btw.

Really? No atheists in fox holes either? Have you checked that out too? :plain:

An atheist is only someone without belief in any god, not because they chose atheism as a preference.
The worst that can happen in the atheistic scenario is oblivion, while the theistic scenario may offer eternal bliss, it also offers eternal agony, something far worse than oblivion, why would you want to risk that?

PureX

I simply think that with this in mind I can reasonably discount all the gods as presented by religions without having to invalidate them all individually.
Congratulations, you've discovered that mythology is not factual. Well, actually that's not entirely true, as it is almost always based on real events, real mysteries, and real insight. It just gets 'morphed' and embellished in the articulation of these to better convey their meaning and significance to others. And if they are significant enough, to people, they become a 'religion': they become a dogma and set of ritual practices based on the myth.

The thing I can't figure out is why you aren't interested in what so many people have found to be so significant in some of these myths. Why you want to just dismiss them en masse simply because they are mythical.
I think it's rational for an atheist to assume that probably no religious belief has any knowledge of any gods and can thus all be discounted as indicative of anything other than cultural social institutions.
I don't think that's a rational assumption at all. Especially coming from someone who clearly has expended no energy whatever in trying to find out what the significance of these myths are to so many of his fellow humans. But instead, just arrogantly assumed all those fellow humans to be mentally deficient, relative to himself.
One suggests that an actual higher power exists while the other is only a delusion. It is possible that a delusion is all it is so why shouldn't the atheist just assume that it probably was until something evidential suggested otherwise?
The problem is that you are so biased toward your own ignorance that you can't accept the creation of all these myths by hundreds of millions of your fellow human beings as evidence of anything but their stupidity.
I don't know about your mind but I've simply not validated any god while I await reasonable godly evidence.
You mean while you categorically dismiss any possible evidence, reasoned or otherwise. The fact that billions of human beings throughout all of human history have used mythology to express their experience of the 'divine' doesn't strike you as evidence that they are/were experiencing something real? You actually think it's more reasonable that they were all fooling themselves? (But not you!)

I'm just saying … that does not strike me as reasonable at all, or even very likely.
If a real god personally contacts me I would perhaps then have the knowledge that I currently don't think is knowable.
I don't see any problem with there being a perceived beauty within a fantasy, but that isn't what this is all about. We can have our fantasies but personally I still need to touch base with reality from time to time.
You still don't seem to comprehend that they are one and the same. Reality IS the great mystery. What you think is reality is your myth. It's a myth you and we all create in our minds based on our limited experiences of actual reality. If billions of human beings are experiencing some aspect of reality that you are not, it doesn't mean their experiences are false, or invalid.
Life can be hard to understand sometimes. :)
I'm an atheist simply and only because I don't happen to believe in any god, whether a theist's beliefs have "effectiveness" or not is rather beside the point.
A 'flat-earther' would very likely have said the same thing, a few hundred years back. The earth looked flat to him, acted flat to him, so it was flat to him. And if those who claimed it wash't flat found some "greater effectiveness" in their belief that it was round, that was "beside the point", to him.

You don't want to be a 'flat-earther', do you? :chuckle:
Why shouldn't some of us just stick to their own spiritual notions and hopes without having to invoke a theistic belief in a supposed deity? If a deity comes along fine I'm game.
Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste.
I don't think so, it's what being an atheist is all about, not making up any conclusions about gods other than they probably don't exist.
I think if you re-read that statement, you will see just how foolish it is.
Actually I think I do just that, but I can still talk to people about what they believe and why they have specific religious beliefs, such as YECs.
Why? They can't hear you through the din of their own assumptions of righteousness. And you can't hear them, either.

gcthomas

You mean while you categorically dismiss any possible evidence, reasoned or otherwise. The fact that billions of human beings throughout all of human history have used mythology to express their experience of the 'divine' doesn't strike you as evidence that they are/were experiencing something real? You actually think it's more reasonable that they were all fooling themselves? (But not you!)

I'm just saying … that does not strike me as reasonable at all, or even very likely.

The plural of third party anecdote is not evidence. You seem to be proposing that subjective validation should be considered as a reliable route to knowledge. It isn't.

Jamie Gigliotti

You haven't listened to a word I've said. Typically you quote my full text, but then, instead of addressing the points made, you go on to preach how your God changed your life and how I should also succumb to your invisible friend and how I would see your "truth" if only I did, and blah blah blah, shudder! Well guess what, I don't want to be like you. I value my rationality and my free thinking mind too much to fill it with someone else's flimflam. (look it up ;))

I asked you to explain why others have changed their lives for the better following a different belief system or no belief system at all and your only reply seems to be, well they're all wrong and I'm right because I just am. That's just blanket assertion and as such warrants dismissal.

It may be different in your neck of the woods but were I come from persistent god-talkers are only useful for rapidly emptying rooms. People can hold conversations without constantly preaching at people you know, even on a theology forum.
I've continually pointed that all religions are not the same nor describe the personal love of the creator of the universe that many have experienced through Jesus. You ignore my response because you can't understand love you have not experienced and you refuse to try.

alwight

I simply think that with this in mind I can reasonably discount all the gods as presented by religions without having to invalidate them all individually.
Congratulations, you've discovered that mythology is not factual. Well, actually that's not entirely true, as it is almost always based on real events, real mysteries, and real insight. It just gets 'morphed' and embellished in the articulation of these to better convey their meaning and significance to others. And if they are significant enough, to people, they become a 'religion': they become a dogma and set of ritual practices based on the myth.

The thing I can't figure out is why you aren't interested in what so many people have found to be so significant in some of these myths. Why you want to just dismiss them en masse simply because they are mythical.
I don't dismiss them as myths I dismiss them as being real gods.

I think it's rational for an atheist to assume that probably no religious belief has any knowledge of any gods and can thus all be discounted as indicative of anything other than cultural social institutions.
I don't think that's a rational assumption at all. Especially coming from someone who clearly has expended no energy whatever in trying to find out what the significance of these myths are to so many of his fellow humans. But instead, just arrogantly assumed all those fellow humans to be mentally deficient, relative to himself.
I wish you wouldn't presume to know what I know about ancient myths and what energy I put in, even if you do know all there is to know about all ancient myths because of your tireless efforts. :AMR:
I also wish you wouldn't presume to know which humans I may or may not regard as mentally deficient. :(

One suggests that an actual higher power exists while the other is only a delusion. It is possible that a delusion is all it is so why shouldn't the atheist just assume that it probably was until something evidential suggested otherwise?
The problem is that you are so biased toward your own ignorance that you can't accept the creation of all these myths by hundreds of millions of your fellow human beings as evidence of anything but their stupidity.
I think the problem is PX that you are being rather unnecessarily generalising, opinionated and judgemental here, perhaps in lieu of having a rational response to my question? Perhaps you should just concede my point instead of bluster and presumptions?

I don't know about your mind but I've simply not validated any god while I await reasonable godly evidence.
I have already explained that it must surely be a reasonable possibility at least that all of humanity has simply evolved similar innate mental traits and that one of them might include a sense of the divine, whether or not an actual divinity exists or not. Can you not concede that much at least?
If it were a real divine entity that were being sensed then the fact that each culture has developed its own version of belief does not imo suggest a common divine source to me anyway.
I also did not suggest that anyone was fooling themselves, I merely suggested that humans generally may have evolved an innate tendency for religious/godly belief. If anyone is being fooled then it is Darwinian evolution that is doing it.

Since you've apparently expended copious amounts of effort studying all religious cultures while I apparently haven't then no doubt your opinion is far more worthy than mine. :plain:

If a real god personally contacts me I would perhaps then have the knowledge that I currently don't think is knowable.
I don't see any problem with there being a perceived beauty within a fantasy, but that isn't what this is all about. We can have our fantasies but personally I still need to touch base with reality from time to time.
You still don't seem to comprehend that they are one and the same. Reality IS the great mystery. What you think is reality is your myth. It's a myth you and we all create in our minds based on our limited experiences of actual reality. If billions of human beings are experiencing some aspect of reality that you are not, it doesn't mean their experiences are false, or invalid.
Then I have decided that what is apparently reality is in fact real, even if the reality is that I am actually a brain in a vat being presented with an illusion.
If millions of humans were all reporting the same or vaguely similar godly entity then that would indeed be salutary imo, but the opposite seems to be the case, which accounts for all the plethora of gods believed in down the ages. More reason imo for having an atheistic view of things until the real god de-cloaks perhaps?

Life can be hard to understand sometimes.
I'm an atheist simply and only because I don't happen to believe in any god, whether a theist's beliefs have "effectiveness" or not is rather beside the point.
A 'flat-earther' would very likely have said the same thing, a few hundred years back. The earth looked flat to him, acted flat to him, so it was flat to him. And if those who claimed it wash't flat found some "greater effectiveness" in their belief that it was round, that was "beside the point", to him.

You don't want to be a 'flat-earther', do you? :chuckle:
No, and thankfully these days we have many more ways and scope to examine reality. Else I may well have thought that thunder was my version of a god moving the furniture around, particularly if my local religious know-it-all told me that is what it was. Otherwise I may simply have accepted not knowing instead making up stuff.

Why shouldn't some of us just stick to their own spiritual notions and hopes without having to invoke a theistic belief in a supposed deity? If a deity comes along fine I'm game.
Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste.
I think if you re-read that statement, you will see just how foolish it is.
I think you have simply misinterpreted what I said PX, since I have constantly advocated curiosity in anything that is actually testable.
Wasting time navel gazing on the unknowable is what I think you are advocating.

Actually I think I do just that, but I can still talk to people about what they believe and why they have specific religious beliefs, such as YECs.
Why? They can't hear you through the din of their own assumptions of righteousness. And you can't hear them, either.
I'm curious, so shoot me. :eek:

PureX

The plural of third party anecdote is not evidence. You seem to be proposing that subjective validation should be considered as a reliable route to knowledge. It isn't.
Subjective phenomena is still 'real' phenomena. And in fact in almost all cases there are 'real' (physical) mechanisms involved in manifesting the phenomena. Atheists not only insist on denying this, but they do so selectively and irrationally. They accept the near universal subjective human experience of beauty as being both a natural and 'real' phenomena. Yet they refuse to accept the near universal subjective human experience of "God" as being anything but a fool's self-delusion. They use the neurological physics of the experience of beauty to validate it as 'real', while they use the neurological physics of the "God" experience to invalidate it as 'make-believe'. All the while proclaiming themselves to be the practical epitome of evidence, reason, and logic.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Your personal attacks mean nothing, but to discredit you.

It's not an attack, bot, it's an observation. You don't talk to anyone here and don't appear interested in actual discussion. This kind of total self-absorption might be inadvertent on your part--might--but it's ultimately a waste of time for everybody else.

Jamie Gigliotti

You just don't get it, do you? Your experience with Christ is no different from some one else's experience with Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti and others Lists of deities.

And btw, they all have their witnesses too and they are all just as convinced of their convictions as are you. Yours is no different no matter how much you protest it is. To prove yours is different takes evidence, not preaching but honest, falsifiable evidence. But you have non of that so what you are left with is a faith based belief, just like the others. And I'm fine with that. What I object to is this bald claim to some ultimate truth.

I accept your belief, you're welcome to it. But Truth! Nope.
Look at the writings of the religions. They describe much different things.

Jamie Gigliotti

I will confess to not being an emotional type of person. Maybe I have a genetic defect? :eek:

Much of your claimed love and emotion just goes way over my head.
I tend to think that you need an outlet for it, and Christianity and the perceived person of Jesus Christ supplies it for you.
Personally however I doubt that in reality there is any more to it than that.

I'm not ashamed to admit; I wanted and needed love.

PureX

I don't dismiss them as myths I dismiss them as being real gods.
They were never intended to be taken as "real gods". They were intended to be taken as representations of a divine reality.
I wish you wouldn't presume to know what I know about ancient myths and what energy I put in, even if you do know all there is to know about all ancient myths because of your tireless efforts. :AMR:
I also wish you wouldn't presume to know which humans I may or may not regard as mentally deficient. :(
Don't be so sensitive. All I know of you or anyone else, here, are the words I read in your posts. The only assumptions I make are relative to what I've read. I can't respond to you, personally, and I'm not responding to you, personally. I'm just responding to what I read in your posts.
I think the problem is PX that you are being rather unnecessarily generalising, opinionated and judgemental here, perhaps in lieu of having a rational response to my question? Perhaps you should just concede my point instead of bluster and presumptions?
What point is that? I not only concede that mythical representations of God are not likely to be accurate representations of God, I share your understanding and include even my own conceptions of God. And the fact that some people don't understand this is not your's or my problem. It's theirs. But I don't see how this has anything to do with the near universal experiential phenomena of "God". And certainly it doesn't rationally invalidate it, as most atheists usually proclaim.
I have already explained that it must surely be a reasonable possibility at least that all of humanity has simply evolved similar innate mental traits and that one of them might include a sense of the divine, whether or not an actual divinity exists or not. Can you not concede that much at least?
Sure!
If it were a real divine entity that were being sensed then the fact that each culture has developed its own version of belief does not imo suggest a common divine source to me anyway.
Actually, I think it suggests exactly that. We humans seem to universally experience this 'divinity' as a being of some sort. Self-projection probably accounts for some of that, but we're not talking some, we're talking all: and every time. In every culture. From the dawn of human experience. There's always a 'being' or 'beings'. That's a similarity that's a little hard to get around!
I also did not suggest that anyone was fooling themselves, I merely suggested that humans generally may have evolved an innate tendency for religious/godly belief. If anyone is being fooled then it is Darwinian evolution that is doing it.
Being atheist by definition presumes that theists are just 'fooling themselves'. Because I never heard any atheists ever say that they think they must be unable to perceive of God due to their own inadequacies or deficiencies. Do you know of any?
Then I have decided that what is apparently reality is in fact real, even if the reality is that I am actually a brain in a vat being presented with an illusion.
So have we all, even though all our 'realities' differ from one another. Some, substantially.
If millions of humans were all reporting the same or vaguely similar godly entity then that would indeed be salutary imo, but the opposite seems to be the case, which accounts for all the plethora of gods believed in down the ages.
Actually, it seems to me that all those gods are strikingly similar to each other. Especially in how they seem to look and act like us. But again, I suspect self-projection accounts for much of that.

But it's not just that, it's also that these gods almost universally seem to be presumed responsible for the creation of everything, and often the maintenance of it. And that they interact with us for some special purpose of their own. Also, that they can be appealed to successfully, on occasion.

Like I said, the similarities are far more striking than the differences. And the fact that you deny this, or can't recognize it, I think should tell you something about the blinding bias of your own position.
No, and thankfully these days we have many more ways and scope to examine reality. Else I may well have thought that thunder was my version of a god moving the furniture around, particularly if my local religious know-it-all told me that is what it was. Otherwise I may simply have accepted not knowing instead making up stuff.
But you haven't accepted not knowing. And you have just "made stuff up": otherwise you would be simply an agnostic.
I think you have simply misinterpreted what I said PX, since I have constantly advocated curiosity in anything that is actually testable.
Again, I think if you would read these statements more carefully, you would see how absurd they are.
Wasting time navel gazing on the unknowable is what I think you are advocating.
The unknown and unknowable are as real as real can be. And are crucial to figuring out what we can and do know. Science without philosophy is just a pistol in the hands of a monkey.

gcthomas

Subjective phenomena is still 'real' phenomena.

Real in the sense of accurately and repeatably describing an external feature of the universe, or 'real' in the sense that the person feels it is real, so that they are 'really' having an experience inside their own head?

If the latter, then I won't be describing it 'reality'.