Arrested For Refusing The Pledge?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeppers.
It's clear the boy was being disruptive in class and needed to be dealt with.
Because the pledge was involved does not make it the sole reason for the child being disruptive as he was.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yeppers.
It's clear the boy was being disruptive in class and needed to be dealt with.
Because the pledge was involved does not make it the sole reason for the child being disruptive as he was.

well, the story wouldn't have gotten any attention at all if it had been reported factually

ok doser

i notice that the headlines are changing today to reflect the fact that the student was not arrested for refusing to stand for the pledge

ok doser

my main interest in this story had been the fake news headline

but barbie's misrepresentations had me curious to see what else what else was out there today:

Civil rights complaint being filed for Lakeland student

11-year-old at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy was suspended and arrested for disrupting a school function and resisting arrest without violence after refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

LAKELAND — An attorney for an 11-year-old Polk County student, arrested for disrupting a school function and resisting arrest without violence after refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, said he is filing a civil rights complaint with the United States Department of Education.

Roderick Ford, an attorney with the Cochran Law Firm in Tampa, said he and the student’s family are also hoping the state attorney’s office will not move forward with formal charges against the student because he was exercising his constitutionally protected right of free speech.

“There is an improper constitutional deprivation of rights that goes to the heart of the founding of this country,” Ford said during an interview Monday evening. “He is very proud to be an American and he was acting in the greatest tradition of being an American.”

Ford’s comments stem from the arrest and suspension of the sixth-grader at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy on Feb. 4 after the student refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and was then

asked

(the police report says "instructed to")

not "forced"

to stand up by a substitute teacher, Ana Alvarez.

“I asked the student to stand up for the pledge and he answered that he won’t because the flag of this country was racist,” Alvarez wrote in a statement to police. “He then started to explain why the National Anthem was offensive to black people.”

Spokesmen for the Lakeland Police Department and Polk County Public Schools stressed that the student at the magnet school for gifted students was

not arrested for refusing to participate in the pledge.

“Students are not required to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance,” according to a statement from the district Monday morning.

The student’s mother, Dhakira Talbot, said there was at least one other student who was also not standing and she didn’t understand why her son was singled out.

“I just want people to know that my son is not a monster, he is not a disrespectful kid,” Talbot said, wiping away tears. She said her son was doing what she has taught him to do. “You standing up for yourself is not wrong.”

She said she and her son have been emotionally overwhelmed by the media attention surrounding the incident. Stories have appeared in The Washington Post, NBC Nightly News, USA Today and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, among others, regarding the incident.

“You don’t know that feeling of having to raise your kids on what to do if you’re stopped by police,” said Talbot, who noted she is two classes shy of a business degree from college.

Alvarez’s statement shows she told the student that “Why, if it was so bad here, he did not go to another place to (live).” She explained that she moved here from Cuba and that “the day I feel I’m not welcome here anymore, I would find another place to (live).”

According to the arrest affidavit, the substitute teacher called the office to have the student removed. School Resource Officer Carlos Cortes and School Dean Michael Simpson responded and asked the student to leave the room with them.

The student “continued to yell that the teacher had told him to, ‘Go back to Africa’,” Cortes wrote in his report, adding that he asked the student “several times (over 20 times)” to leave. He said the student continued saying, ” ’I’m not leaving. Do your job and take her, she’s the racist one who told me to go back to Africa.”

Cortes also wrote in the report that the student told the dean not to touch him and that he would call the police on him. After finally leaving the classroom, the student continued yelling in the hallway that “You’re all racist.” When he entered the office he began crying and screamed, “I’m going to beat that teacher.”

The student also asked to call his mother.

the student was directed to call his mother from a private office, refused and walked into public areas acting disruptive (the link goes to the police report, which i can't cut and paste

When he wasn’t allowed, he went to the guidance office. School Principal Brian Andrews took the student by his arms, telling him to calm down, the student told him that “I’m going to get you fired. I’m going to get all of you fired.”

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190219/civil-rights-complaint-being-filed-for-lakeland-student

so according to barbie, the substitute teacher lied, the SRO (Cortes) lied and the school dean (Andrews) all lied, along with all the witnesses in the classroom and the main office

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder if the parents of that kid also view the American flag as racist?
Who is putting such a stupid idea in his head?

ok doser

I wonder if the parents of that kid also view the American flag as racist?
Who is putting such a stupid idea in his head?

the role models in his life - sports heroes who take a knee, etc

and can you explain what is racist about telling an african american who is dissatisfied with america to go back to africa? :freak:

ok doser

Another reason why public school sucks.

right, but in transferring him to a private school, she's removing him from an environment in which he cannot be forced to stand and recite the pledge to an environment in which he can :darwinsm:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
the role models in his life - sports heroes who take a knee, etc

and can you explain what is racist about telling an african american who is dissatisfied with america to go back to africa? :freak:
Nothing racist about it.

musterion

But this is real.

Ed-Buck.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The mother overreacted, I think. Yes, the sub was wrong trying to force the student to stand, and violated the law as well a district policy in trying to do so. But the district disciplined her to the extent they were able; she'll never work for them again. And the district is also reviewing their policies to assure this kind of misconduct does not happen again.

When she continued to berate him for not standing the boy lost his temper. The principal lost it as well. One does not need the police to handle an 11 year old child. Whether or not her intent was racist is not the point. Why she chose to violate his rights and not that of another child who didn't stand is an open question.

Really doesn't matter. She shouldn't be working with children, whatever the reason. As I said, if it goes down to a "he said , she said" the fact that she was violating the law and district policy will matter.

Scapegoating an 11 year old kid for the behavior of a supposed adult doesn't seem like a very sensible reaction.