Are You a Misogynist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureX

You might be a misogynist if every time the word is used you immediately think "they are talking about me" ...
Just the opposite: if every time the word is used and our immediate thought is "not me!"

It's like racism. The more adamantly we deny it the more likely it is to be true.

Last edited:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Just the opposite: if every time the word is used and our immediate thought is "not me!"

It's like racism. The more adamantly we deny it the more likely it is to be true.
So you are saying that Rusha is a misogynist?

Arthur Brain

bybee, too dimwitted to understand the significance of my question to purex, lashes out in feeble anger:

:(

Res, too boring and witless to come up with anything besides 'retard' displays a not altogether baffling ignorance equating actual wit with anger.

Put the moonshine away dude.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
whoa!

they are rights you know
I am aware of the term "rights" being asserted as a legal and quasi-moral argument for some things such as abortion. However, a "right", in order to be proper and just, cannot render a result which would deny that same "right" to another. IOW, a "right" must apply universally and is not subject to legalistic massaging . If it does, or in the modern-day sense, negate a valid "right" to someone else, then such a "right" falls under the heading of privilege.

E.g., there is no "right" to privacy under our Constitution (Roe v Wade notwithstanding). Our protection is that government must show probable cause in order to invade it (Amendment IV, US Constitution). And so, rather than declare a "right", our Constitution places a limit on government power. Our Founders knew the fallacy of declaring "rights" as granted by government. "Rights" treated in such a manner become beholden to the whims of political arbitrage.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Equality of what, may I ask? And, what is the meaning of "women were fine the way they were?"

Civil, cultural, educational equality. The right to vote, own property, be paid equally. To be not thought of as property of the husband, to be protected from domestic violence, to keep her own name if she so desires. For girls not to be automatically assumed "not as good at math as boys are" or that they should only do "girl things." For women to be free to wear their hair the way they want or the clothes they want. (For example, some men think women shouldn't wear pants because they're dressing like men. Some men think women only wear dresses to draw attention to their sexuality.) To have access to and aspire to higher education without being held back by men who think women's roles should be domestic in nature only.

As for the "fine the way they were" that would be before women achieved the civil, cultural and educational rights they now hold, although there still remains a culture of perception in some men which is evident here in this forum. One poster here believes "a few bruises" received from a husband isn't reason enough for the wife to seek divorce. Other men here don't believe women should vote. Still others denigrate women's rationality or blame them when they're victims of sexual harassment or assault.

The above isn't comprehensive but it should give you an idea.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Civil, cultural, educational equality. The right to vote, own property, be paid equally. To be not thought of as property of the husband, to be protected from domestic violence, to keep her own name if she so desires. For girls not to be automatically assumed "not as good at math as boys are" or that they should only do "girl things." For women to be free to wear their hair the way they want or the clothes they want. (For example, some men think women shouldn't wear pants because they're dressing like men. Some men think women only wear dresses to draw attention to their sexuality.) To have access to and aspire to higher education without being held back by men who think women's roles should be domestic in nature only.

As for the "fine the way they were" that would be before women achieved the civil, cultural and educational rights they now hold, although there still remains a culture of perception in some men which is evident here in this forum. One poster here believes "a few bruises" received from a husband isn't reason enough for the wife to seek divorce. Other men here don't believe women should vote. Still others denigrate women's rationality or blame them when they're victims of sexual harassment or assault.

:thumb: Good explanation. Now I wonder why anyone would have a problem with women being able to get past the issues and abuses you have listed above. :think:

bybee

:thumb: Good explanation. Now I wonder why anyone would have a problem with women being able to get past the issues and abuses you have listed above. :think:

I have been disillusioned by so many American men who know the history of the American frontier wherein women worked the land, fought to protect their families and stood alongside of their husbands every step of the way. Many a man on the frontier had to deliver his own babies and do the house work and cooking and child care when their wives were ill.
As a woman I do not wish to do a man's work. I am happy with what I have the talent and fortitude to accomplish.
But in an arena wherein a man's strength is not the issue then equality of opportunity must be the norm.

fzappa13

I have been disillusioned by so many American men who know the history of the American frontier wherein women worked the land, fought to protect their families and stood alongside of their husbands every step of the way. Many a man on the frontier had to deliver his own babies and do the house work and cooking and child care when their wives were ill.
As a woman I do not wish to do a man's work. I am happy with what I have the talent and fortitude to accomplish.
But in an arena wherein a man's strength is not the issue then equality of opportunity must be the norm.

I would suggest that disillusionment with the opposite sex is not the sole province of women. I guess that, collectively, we'll all have to move past that if we are to make any progress.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

I with that except this part: to keep her own name if she so desires

Christ gives us a new name according to scripture and marriage is a picture of the relationship between man and God.

Because Chrys felt it important to quiz us on whether or not we are "feminists" without giving his definition of what constitutes feminist behavior, this, "sister" question has been begging to be asked.
Definition: Showing hatred and distrust of women.

I don't think you can count on people being honest in their evaluations of their own thinking and actions. A quiz may have revealed the true misogynists.

Last edited:

bybee

I don't think you can count on people being honest in their evaluations of the own thinking and actions. A quiz may have revealed the true misogynists.

Very likely so.
I think many men are selectively dominating but not necessarily misogynists.
By the same token many women are selectively submissive but still expect to be treated as an equal in non-gender specific situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.