ARCHIVE: The "Great tribulation" and the Testimony of the Early Church Fathers

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Now when the saints..(I mean the unbelieving, ethnic Jewish saints)..come marching in

Now when the saints..(I mean the unbelieving, ethnic Jewish saints)..come marching in

Now I believe, according to the preterists, that the idea is that the whole Revelation thing was God’s judgment against just the ethnic, unbelieving Jews of the first century?
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Oh wait a minute, that isn't unbelieving, ethnic Israel? What gives?
Rev 13:4-8 So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?” And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months. Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven. It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation. All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
The saints? Now dog-gone-it the only saints at that time should have been believers of Christ. What about those poor neglected unbelieving, ethnic Jews?

Faramir

Re: Re: There are still marbles beneath that visor

Re: Re: There are still marbles beneath that visor

Originally posted by Knight
Oh goody another super informative post from Mr. Holding.

I have already warned you before on two other occasions that we do not allow people to simply send our visitors to another website (especially when its their own). If you have a point to make, please make it. If you don't have a point to make please spare us the bandwidth. If you would like to add your web links along with your point as a further reference then that is fine.

FYI I did not need a link to JP's web site. I am already very familiar with it. It was a link from his web site that introduced me to TOL (Everyone give JP a big thank-you:D )

It was also JP's writing (and Dee Dee's on his site) on preterism that turned me from a former dispy leaning toward preterism to a full fledged preterist. :thumb:

(It was Tim LeHay's writing that initially turned me from a dispy into a former dispy. My how that man can twist scripture;) )

D

Dee Dee Warren

Just so ya'all know I will continue to delete the shameless plugs for other websites.

And if this offense continues with certain individuals they will be banned from TOL.

You can use weblinks as references to the points you make HERE (at TOL) but you cannot simply let a weblink speak for you. That isn't how TheologyOnLine works. TheologyOnLine is a point vs. counter point debate forum that has been in place since our inception.

Isn't that right Dee Dee? TOL moderator?

Yes that is correct Knight. As you know JP is a good friend of mine, so I emailed him and asked him not post links in that fashion.

Now on another note in general, it is quite easy to keep bringing up question after question, and a good game of bombardment can wear anyone out, but I am not sure that is the best way to have a mutually edifying conversation/discussion/and yes debate. I am planning on answering further Knight's very specific Tribulation question, and then I will move on from there as time permits between cyber-world and real world.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: A rose is a rose...unless it isn't in my view...

Re: Re: A rose is a rose...unless it isn't in my view...

Originally posted by Faramir

And this is different from futurist how?:confused:
Let me guess....

You have been misinformed that futurism is the only alternative to preterism?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: Preterists are so busy today... :)

Re: Re: Preterists are so busy today... :)

Well here goes.

I think that Dee Dee as already answered this earlier in this thread:

The Revelation is written with apocalyptic language which is characterized by symbolism, hyperbole, and superlative language (just like much of OT prophecy). Any first century Jew would recognize that. And since it was written by a first century Jew, maybe we should try to read it through the eyes of one.
Oh I get it.... apocalyptic language is the answer when the text flies in the face of preterism but literalism is the preterists best friend when the preterists want to battle the futurists.

Tell us Faramir.... how can you tell the following verse isn't "apocalyptic language"?
Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. - Matthew 24:34
Fair question?

As soon as you appeal to "apocalyptic language" you throw out the best argument the preterists have again the futurists (which by the way I am not a futurist - pre se)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: There are still marbles beneath that visor

Re: Re: Re: There are still marbles beneath that visor

(It was Tim LeHay's writing that initially turned me from a dispy into a former dispy. My how that man can twist scripture;) )
Again... it is painfully obvious that preterists have no clue as to what dispensationalism is all about.

Let me clue you in a little Faramir... Dee Dee doesn't know much about Dispensationalism, JP doesn't know much about Dispensationalism and Tim LeHay doesn't know much about Dispensationalism. If you would like an ultra quick overview... click here.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Knight and Faramir:

Hey to clear something up and set the record straight on one thing. I was in fact a dispensationalist, but..... I was not at all the type of dispesenatiolist that Knight or Lion is, and I have readily conceded that I never heard of a lot of the distinctives of their particular flavor of dispensationalism until rather recently. But that does not mean I was not a dispensationalist for dispensationalism is not monolithic. But as I said before on another thread, compared to the type of dispensationalism that Knight is advocating, I was certainly dispenational lite.

Now onto to their being alternatives to preterism besides futurism, sure there are. They are called historicism and idealism. Now I know that Knight does not consider himself to be a futurist, and certainly people are free to choose their own designations, but I would respectfully submit that for all practical purposes he is indeed a futurist. He has some different reasons one some passages for projecting events into the future, but the whole concept of the passages being in the future is the heart and sole of futurism, not the reason for them being there.

In simple language a futurist is something who believes that the events of the Discourse and Revelation are to find fulfilment in the future. That is what Knight believes, thus, simply put he is a futurist. However, with the Discourse and Gospels, as discussed with Lion both Knight and Lion are exegetical preterists in that they accept that Jesus was clearly teaching that a major eschatological event was to happen in the lifetimes of the disciples, but it was postponed. However, neither Knight or Lion, quite arbitrarily I believe, accept the near timing references that appear in the epistles but rather claim the fictious imminency doctrine just as any futurist would. That is why I said to Lion.... "it is at this point that you morph into a typical futurist, and claim that the apostles did not know when God would resume working with Israel so they treated it as if it could happen any minute. "

Solly

BANNED
Banned
A gripe

A gripe

I might equally point out, that a full working knowledge of dispensationalism, in whatever brand, is not absolutely necessary. What is necessary is an understanding of scripture. The truth will out, as they say. How many of us have a deep understanding of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Communism, marxism, Existentialism, PostModernism, Nihilism, Wicca, 1001 subChristian cults, Arianism, Nesotianism, Modalism, Arminianism, Calvinsim, OVTism, Dispensationalism Unitarianism, Liberalism, etc etc etc.

So that as far as using the "you don't understand ****-ism properly" argument is concerned, I think I could just as easily use it against those who continue to caricature Calvinism as determinism. Such statements do not forward the discussion at all, but rather prejudice it. I have refrained from caricaturing Arminianism, for instance. Neither is anything gained by the resort to "Oh, but HE doesn't understand MY dispensationalism, so that isn't a valid comment".

There seems to be a lot of thrashing one particular view, while giving very little in return in a lot of the debates on TOL. I have given up on a lot, because having answered a question, I am immediatly presented with another six excerpts from scripture to comment on, and yet none of my questions have been addressed, as if I am on trial for heresy.

If you think your view is being misrepresented, then represent it, in the debate.

Solly

BANNED
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Preterists are so busy today... :)

Oh I get it.... apocalyptic language is the answer when the text flies in the face of preterism but literalism is the preterists best friend when the preterists want to battle the futurists.

As soon as you appeal to "apocalyptic language" you throw out the best argument the preterists have again the futurists (which by the way I am not a futurist - pre se)

Oon the same common sense basis of discerning diferent text styles, you would expect us to take the following passage as part apocalyptic symbolism and actual event. Unless a bit Mutha monster IS going to rise out of the sea, followed by another out of the earth? there is such a thing as taking apocalyptic imagery literally as apocalyptic imagery.

Chapter 13

1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. 2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority. 3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. 4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? 5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. 6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. 7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. 8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. 9 If any man have an ear, let him hear. 10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. 16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

And on another matter, it is only the dispie schema that has a problem with reconciling Matt 24 and Rev because of its predetermined idea that there will be an event called The Great Tribulation at the end of the age, and that Rev is wholly futurist in scope. They smash them together like badly joined threads on a bbs, instead of taking note of the fact that Mat 24 refers to Judea and the events there - as has been clearly pointed out, and ignored, because the idea of the Great Tribulation affects your judgment, whereas Rev can quite easily refer to events in the Roman Empire under Nero, and the persecution of the Christians during his reign.

it is not an argument to say: the Trib did not happen, it did not. that is merely begging the question, because you have yet to prove there is such an event as disp'ism characterises it.

Solly

BANNED
Banned
More thoughts for the Holy Ghostbusters

Posted by Jerry Shugart on 01-17-2003 06:37 PM:
The following is the testimony of several of the early church fathers in regard to the “great tribulation” and the coming of the antichrist. First, we will examine the teaching of Irenaeus, who studied under Polycarp, who was a pupil of the Apostle John.

Surely Polycarp knew whether or not the “great tribulation” had come to pass, especially considering the fact that he studied directly under the man who wrote the Revelation. And if Polycarp knew, then we can rest assured that Irenaeus also knew.And by the words of Irenaeus it is clear that he believed that the “great tribulation” remained in the future,as well as the coming of the antichrist.This means that he did not believe that the “great tribulation” occurred in AD70:

“…in which Temple the enemy SHALL sit, endeavoring to show himself as Christ,as the Lord also declares:’But when you see the abomination of desolation,which has been spoken of by Daniel the prophet,standing in the holy place (let him that readeth understand),thenlet those who are in Judea flee into the mountains…”(Irenaeus,“Against Heresies” 5.25.2).

“Daniel too,looking forward to the end of the last kingdom,i.e.,the ten last kings,amongst whom the kingdom of those men SHALL be partitioned,and upon whom the son of perdition SHALL come…”(Irenaeus,“Against Heresies” 5.25.3).

Hmmm..."in which [temple] the enemy shall sit, endeavoring to show himself as Christ, as the Lord also declares: “But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, which has been spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let him that readeth understand), then let those who are in Judea flee into the mountains; and he who is upon the house-top, let him not come down to take anything out of his house: for there shall then be great hardship, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall be.” (Irenaeus,“Against Heresies” 5.25.2). You missed a bit, Jerry. Iren doesn't mention The Great Tribulation, only the hardship of the times (the significance of why they were such as had never been seen before had been addressed in earlier posts).

Jerry quoted: Hippolytus (170-236): “Now concerning the tribulation of the persecution which is to fall upon the Church from the adversary,John also speaks this: ‘And I saw a great and wondrous sign in heaven…’ That refers to the one thousand two hundred and threescore days [the half the week] during which the tyrant IS to reign and persecute the Church (“Treatise on Christ and Antichrist”,Chapters 60,61).

But what about this from the same source. Are you gonna trust this guy only when he seems to say something you like?
Hippolytus
61. By "the woman then clothed with the sun,” he meant most manifestly
the Church, endued with the Father’s word, whose brightness is above the
sun. And by the “moon under her feet” he referred to her being adorned,
like the moon, with heavenly glory. And the words, “upon her head a
crown of twelve stars,” refer to the twelve apostles by whom the Church
was founded. And those, “she, being with child, cries, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered,” mean that the Church will not cease to bear from her heart the Word that is persecuted by the unbelieving in the world.
“And she brought forth,” he says, “a man-child, who is to rule all the
nations;” by which is meant that the Church, always bringing forth Christ,
the perfect man-child of God, who is declared to be God and man,
becomes the instructor of all the nations. And the words, “her child was
caught up unto God and to His throne,” signify that he who is always
born of her is a heavenly king, and not an earthly; even as David also
declared of old when he said, “The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit Thou at
my right hand, until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool.”
(“Treatise on Christ and Antichrist”,Chapters 61).

Posted by Dee Dee Warren on 01-17-2003 09:48 PM:
Someone conveniently forgot about Eusebius and the fact that nearly all of the early church fathers appropriated the promises to Israel to the Church. Ooops, sorry that this snake bites you too. Some people should know better than to wield two-headed vipers.

^------What she said.

There is continual confusion on the issue, as is manifest here and on other threads, and an inablility to see beyond self imposed boundaries by the dispies.

Firstly by the continual use of the phrase The Great Tribulation as if it were the name of something, whereas Matthew only records "tribulation great" as descriptive, Mark "tribulation thlipsis " 13.19,24, and Luke "great distress anagkh" & "wrath orgh" 21.23.
Also the surreptitious bringing in of the Antichrist where he is not mentioned, only the Abom Des and it's standing where it should not.

For instance:
Posted by Jerry Shugart on 01-17-2003 10:32 PM:
Now perhaps someone will explain why the early church fathers were in error when they taught that the prophecies concerning the "great tribulation" and the "antichrist" remained in the future and were not fulfilled in 70AD.
After all,they were living at a time not too long after Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.Surely if that event represented the "great tribulation" and the coming of the antichrist,they would be aware of such a fact!
But it is not THE GT, only great tribulation/trouble
And later...

Again,Dee Dee did not even attempt to explain how it is possible that those who lived the closest in time to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD did not believe that that event was the "great tribulation" nor did they believe that the antichrist came at that time either.
Just think about it.If the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD was the "great tribulation",then is it not the strangest thing in all recorded history the fact that those who were the closest in time to that event were not even aware that it was the "great tribulation"?
The reason they did not see it, is because they were not looking for it, and did not expect to find it as so defined by our modern right dividers. You can't read modern dispie expectations back into the ECFs.

Plus the confusion that Matt 24 and Rev refer to the same thing:
Posted by Knight on 01-18-2003 02:43 AM:
Dee Dee correct me if I am wrong... but don't you believe that the events foretold in the book on Revelation happened in 70AD? (or there abouts)
So that people say the following...
Posted by Jerry Shugart on 01-18-2003 07:32 PM:
We are supposed to believe that the following things occured,but yet those who studied under the ones who John taught were not even aware that they had already happened:
"snip"(Rev.13.12-17).
We are supposed to believe that all of these prophecies came to pass,yet those who were so closely connected to the very man who wrote these prophecies were not even aware that they had already taken place!In fact,they were sure that they had not happened!

This goes round and round and round, because as soon as someone addresses one point, the dispies run off saying, yeah but what about this - and post another batch of verses, in the vain belief that they are all connected. Why didn't the ECF writers believe the Great Trib happened in 70ad? Because The Great Trib as dispies figure it is a figment, it does not exist. Why did they not point out Antichrist? Because Antichrist as the dispies figure it is a figment. Why would John refer to the Great Trib? No reason that I can see; Matt Mark and Luke did with ref to Judea, whereas John's gospel may well have been written after the fall of Jerusalem, to serve another purpose - though I am tending to the earlier date for Rev lately.

Before you look for confirmation in the ECFs, you have to prove that your idea of the Great Trib is in fact scriptural, and that you have rightly divided indeed, or else you are just cherry picking quotes - which any of us can do with the ECFs - (for instance the Catholics look to the ECFs for their doctrine of justification. I have Thomas Oden's Justification Reader in which he shows that the ECFs believed in justification by grace through faith alone!)

So, instead of Gang Debate, and Mud-slinging (re the Holocaust, which I consider extremely insensitive and something I would have rebuked had I been a Mod - there goes my nomination out of the window), let's have some reasoned discussion, not megaphone lecturing.
peace in Him

Last edited:
D

Dee Dee Warren

Bravo Solly! Insightful as usual. :up: I so thoroughly enjoy hearing different perspectives and words on this issue rather than my own continual blathering ;) [and I am sure others are heartily agreeing with that phrase - LOL]

And PS, just so that no one in confused, Solly and I do differ on some issues of the Revelation, where I do in fact believe that it is convergent with the Olivet Discourse in a number of significant ways.... and is speaking primarily, though not SOLELY by any means, of the 70AD event.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Solly:

Well yes and no.... I certainly do believe that the Roman persecutions are an integral part with Rome being the land Beast corporately, and Nero being the Beast individually. But the destruction of Jerusalem is the primary theme. Do you see what I am getting at?

Solly

BANNED
Banned
*chuckles* No, haven't the foggiest, and it never crossed my mind there could be such a view of it, but I am sure I will find out!! :cool:

*matter deleted*

Last edited:
D

Dee Dee Warren

That is so true!! Well I will then have the benefit of hearing your different perspective on Revelation as we progress, though for this discussion, it probably is a distinction without much difference for you are amenable to an early date and a geographically limited distinction of Rome. That is not too much different than my view.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Knight:

On my comments re: the Great Tribulation you said:

That is a completely flawed line of thinking! I am shocked I even read it! Totally illogical! The Great Tribulation was described as an event without equal....

With all due respect I would object that this objection is following a flawed line of thinking. As I once quoted Greg Koukl as saying:

The critical issue is not what the Scripture says. The critical issue is what the Scripture means.

So what did Scripture mean by that phrase? Well I provided proof that this Tribulation was geographically limited to Judea and specifically focused upon the apostate Jews of that time. I also provided proof that an eyewitness to that event (Josephus) who had no motivation to throw the Christians (and preterists) a bone described what happened in that very way, thus at least proving it was viewed in that light by the people of that time, saving us from hopeless anachronization. But… I would ask for you to respond to the following:

Ezekiel 5:9-

Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Indeed I, even I, am against you and will execute judgments in your midst in the sight of the nations. 9 And I will do among you what I have never done, and the like of which I will never do again, because of all your abominations.

This passage is speaking of coming devastation upon the Jews by the Babylonians.

This same language is used again in Exodus 11:6.

Then there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as was not like it before, nor shall be like it again.

If the alleged future Great Tribulation is as bad as futurism alleges, the cry in Egypt will be worse than back in the time of Moses, or at least for Egypt then, it will not be the greatest tribulation ever.

Also, what about the Noah and the flood? The whole world was destroyed and all the animals, save eight men and two of each animal (and seven of each of the clean animals). No matter how bad the futurists paint the alleged future Great Tribulation, it is not as bad as that.

See also Joel 2:2

A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.

No it is not certain who Joel is referring to, but it is certainly to his contemporaries, and is likely referring to Assyria or Babylon. Jesus’ language is OBVIOUSLY proverbial and hyperbolic clearly alludes to the former passages.

See also Daniel 9:12:

And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem.

And as mentioned already, Josephus also describes the loss of Jerusalem in similar language to Jesus’ pronouncement (proving it is common first century idiomatic hyperbole) – “The war which the Jews made with the Romans hath been the greatest of all those, not only that have been in our times, but, in a manner, of those that ever were heard of.

The fact is that we often do the same thing today. When a thing or subject is particularly remarkable or extra-ordinary, it is very common to refer to “the greatest,” “the highest,” “the best,” “the scariest,” etc. Scripture provides us with other examples of this….

Look at what is said of Hezekiah:

2 Kings 18:5He trusted in the LORD God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor who were before him.

Really?? He surpasses even Jesus? But funny, just a little while later in the same Book we read of Josiah –

2 Kings 23:25Now before him there was no king like him, who turned to the LORD with all his heart, with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses; nor after him did any arise like him.

Really? What about Jesus?? What about Hezekiah?? This again is classic OT hyperbole.

Continuing…..

Even if "such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be." were a figure of speech (as you assert) the figure of speech would have meaning. That meaning would be that the Great Tribulation would be a INCREDIBLE event! Huge, massive and certainly close to one of the worst events on the face of the planet!

Really? Well, you are once again assuming what you need to prove, and what the text of the Discourse speaks against, and that is that this Tribulation is NOT limited to Judea. It was the worst event that could ever happen to the geopolitical Jewish people who had the kingdom taken away from them and given to another. What could be worse than losing one’s special privilege as God’s particular people? Nothing.

The figure of speech wouldn't mean the event was a minor blip in the radar of world history.

Really Knight sincerely I mean this with all due respect, I have to say that you cannot know that much about really happened to describe what happened as a minor blip. Ask any orthodox Jew about the tragedy that they view this in their history. I do believe that such a one would be insulted by your description of the loss of their Temple (which continues to this day) as a minor blip in history. This loss has caused the Jews to have to completely redefine their religion with Rabbinic Judaism arising out of the ashes, because it is now impossible for them to follow the Law. But I have to ask you, this very same language was used in Ezekiel 5:9 and Daniel 9:12. Were those just a minor blips in world history? Maybe, but the context is not world history to begin with, it is Jewish history, and both events were absolutely catastrophic.

Faramir

Re: Re: Re: A rose is a rose...unless it isn't in my view...

Re: Re: Re: A rose is a rose...unless it isn't in my view...

Let me guess....

You have been misinformed that futurism is the only alternative to preterism?

No there is also historicisim and idealism. Did I miss any other -isms? :D

Edit: I did not realize that Dee Dee had already addressed this

Last edited:

Faramir

Re: A gripe

Re: A gripe

Originally posted by Solly
I might equally point out, that a full working knowledge of dispensationalism, in whatever brand, is not absolutely necessary. What is necessary is an understanding of scripture. The truth will out, as they say. How many of us have a deep understanding of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Communism, marxism, Existentialism, PostModernism, Nihilism, Wicca, 1001 subChristian cults, Arianism, Nesotianism, Modalism, Arminianism, Calvinsim, OVTism, Dispensationalism Unitarianism, Liberalism, etc etc etc.

So that as far as using the "you don't understand ****-ism properly" argument is concerned, I think I could just as easily use it against those who continue to caricature Calvinism as determinism. Such statements do not forward the discussion at all, but rather prejudice it. I have refrained from caricaturing Arminianism, for instance. Neither is anything gained by the resort to "Oh, but HE doesn't understand MY dispensationalism, so that isn't a valid comment".

There seems to be a lot of thrashing one particular view, while giving very little in return in a lot of the debates on TOL. I have given up on a lot, because having answered a question, I am immediatly presented with another six excerpts from scripture to comment on, and yet none of my questions have been addressed, as if I am on trial for heresy.

If you think your view is being misrepresented, then represent it, in the debate.

Well said Solly:thumb:

Solly

BANNED
Banned
You missed one Faramir: obscurantism

More justified hyperbole from scripture:

The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the whole world is gone after him. John 12.19

and from real life:

That "Refrigerator" is a Big Guy, I wouldn't want to meet him in a match.

Wow, the sun is so small, I can cover it with my hand.

Perspective, perspective, perspective.

One man's world falling apart through a car accident is another man's statistic in the evening news.

Last edited:

Faramir

Tell us Faramir.... how can you tell the following verse isn't "apocalyptic language"?Fair question?

Did you not see this:

When reading anything, it is important to take the work in context. Revelation was written by a first century Jew, largely in apocalyptic language. A style that is characterized by hyperbole, superlative language, and symbolism (although some things like time indicators are intended to be taken literally when used in context with apocalyptic writing ) . So what you refer to as "spirtualizing" is actually reading the text as it was intended to be read.

The part in bold was not a joke. Lets take Daniel for example. A lot of his prophecies are in symbolic "apocalyptic language". Even some dispensationalists admit that the "beasts" in Daniel are symbolic of governments, not literal beast. However Daniel's time reference (the 70 weeks) is dead on the money literal. And with the exception of the last two or three weeks most preterist and dispinsationalist agree as to when those weeks took place.

Just so you understand apocalyptic language:

Freaky Beast = Symbolic
Astronomical Catastrophe = Symbolic
Superlative Language = Hyperbole
Time references = Literal

And no, I do not take this approach to fit in with my preterist view. When I apply this to Old Testament prophecies that have already taken place (ie prophecies that were fulfilled BC) the prophecies have this nasty habit of corresponding with reality :D I then apply this to the OD and Revelation, and that is why I am a preterist.
:thumb: