ARCHIVE: Presuppositionalism - What and Why?

Balder

Hilston,

Let me ask this question, and if I may also urge you to answer it as clearly as you can: What would you say (YOU, Balder, not Dzogchen, not Siddhartha, but YOU) is the necessary precondition for the intelligibility of human experience? I claim the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible is the only coherent answer. I welcome your suggested alternative.

You earlier mentioned how Dzogchen rescues you from dualism. I'd like for you to unpack this, in your own words, if you can.

I would say the number one precondition for the intelligibility of human experience (and everything else), according to Dzogchen Buddhist thought, is the absolute nature of reality, which you may call “emptiness” or “Being.” Emptiness here is not a nihilistic concept, meaning absolute non-existence or nothingness, but rather is a term which refers to the absolute “openness” and unconditionality of Being itself. Being is absolute. It is a given fact that does not need to be explained; it goes without saying. Being may be explicated in terms of its features, but the immediate fact or presence of Being itself, its “thereness” or “suchness,” cannot be seriously or coherently questioned. Thus, Being did not “come into existence” at any time, or “come from” anywhere; it always is.

In the Buddhist (particularly Dzogchen) tradition, Being is also called Mind-as-such (sems-nyid) or buddhanature. Being and knowing are a unity; self-existent pristine cognitiveness, as the nature of Being itself, is the ground of all existents. To speak in characteristically Dzogchen language, the absolute nature of reality is best described as the inseparability of clarity and emptiness, of Awareness and Being. Alternatively, Dzogchen describes ultimate reality in triune terms: Essence, Nature, and Energy. Here, essence is the utter openness of Being, nature is the clarity or intrinsic awareness and intelligence of Being, and Energy is the spontaneous fecundity and creativity of Being, which manifests either in the form of pristine cognitions (discrete knowings that never stray from their source) or in the form of dualistic consciousness, which tends toward going further and further astray from the true nature of its ground.

Another way of speaking about reality in Dzogchen Buddhism is as “the single sphere, unbounded wholeness.” Here, “sphere” is a metaphor, a way of describing the utter completeness and fullness of Being, rather than a literal object which would have a “border” beyond which was “nothing” or “something else.” The idea, of course, is that Being, and all beings that flow from it, are “of a piece,” whole, ultimately inseparable. No individual being is self-existent; its existence depends literally upon the whole, which cannot be cut or divided, impacted or diminished in any way.

Thus, these facets of the nature of Being account for the intelligibility of human experience: the facticity of Being itself as the ground of all experience, Mind-as-such; the openness and intelligence of Being as the possibility for all and every “form” to manifest; and the seamless wholeness and integrity of Being as the fabric of all things that show up in co-determinative, radically interdependent fashion. The pervasiveness of the intelligence of Being and the fundamental wholeness of Being (in itself and in the relationships that show up “within” it) account for the order and intelligibility of all things, forming the ground for all cognitive endeavors in the human sphere.

Peace,
Balder

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Clete--the realization which came to Lewis after considering a baby's ear does not belong to the realm of classical apologetics. It is in the realm of scripture, which, according to Romans chapter one, is the testimony of God's creative work which is sufficient to condemn men but NOT bring them to SAVING faith. We are considering the apologetical method which is proper to evangelism, to bringing people to saving faith.

The testimony to the reality of God, His "eternal power and Godhead," is speech which is heard, knowledge which is shown daily throughout the whole world. Ambassadors of Christ are commissioned to deliver a more powerful message, and the power of the Holy Spirit especially blesses THAT apologetic because, as Jesus said, "when He comes, He will testify of me." If we would have the blessing of that particular power accompany our testimony, we MUST deliver the same message the Holy Spirit descended from heaven to deliver.

The testimony of God in the creation is more properly given in the context of the works of Christ the Creator rather than in creation apart from Him. The New Testament says that "the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light;" that is, despite the testimony of God in the creation, darkness shrouded the entire world until the revelation of God in Christ. The creation apart from Christ was the only apologetic to the unbelieving gentile world, and it was shrouded in darkness; but now Christ has come. Now if we speak of creation, we do not present it APART FROM the greater light which He bought into the world.

THAT is presuppositional apologetics as opposed to classical apologetics. Let Christ be the focus of our message and let all other things be seen in the prism of His work and person.

Chileice

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

What exactly do you mean by this? Jim has said similar things as well but I don't think you can establish such a statement.

First of all it is totally unfalsifiable. If I understand what you are saying correctly only the "regenerate" mind can "get it" and that if you don't get it it's because your not "regenerate" and if you do it's because you are "regenerate". Question begging at its finest!

Secondly, there are lots of people whom you cannot deny are "regenerate" (I put the word in quotes because I do not believe that the Calvinistic version of regeneration is a valid theology in the first place) who do not even know what presuppositionalism is and definitely do not use it in their apologetics. Some are intentionally not presuppositionalists and yet are directly responsible for having lead hundreds or even thousands of people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. The point being that you do not need to be a presuppositionalist to believe in Jesus. Some people can decide to believe based on the evidence even if that evidence is, in fact, unable to prove anything on its own. In other words, not everybody puts this much deep philosophical thought into their decision to follow Christ. Some people just think it makes sense, some people have totally non intellectual reasons for placing their faith in Christ. In fact, I would say that most people do not go through any sort of rigorous intellectual exercise trying to come up with the answer to life the universe and everything. Most people put their faith in Christ because they have been influenced, on a relationship level by friends, acquaintances or family members, whom they trust; it has absolutely nothing to do with "figuring it all out" or anything like that.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Sorry for the slowness in jumping back in, but you make an excellent point here Clete. Dozens of generations of regenerate Christians have come and gone without the first hint of understanding presuppositionalism. I placed my faith in Christ at 13 years of age because I realized I was a sinner in need of a Saviour and that all my good works in the world weren't going to get me saved. I didn't know presuppositionalism from post-modernism but I was saved.

Chileice

Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Clete--the realization which came to Lewis after considering a baby's ear does not belong to the realm of classical apologetics. It is in the realm of scripture, which, according to Romans chapter one, is the testimony of God's creative work which is sufficient to condemn men but NOT bring them to SAVING faith.
Rolf-
I believe this highly underestimates the power of the Holy Spirit. To compartmentalize the scripture to such a degree does a disservice to God Himself who has presented it to us as a whole. Any portion may be sufficient to convict and/or to convince a person of their need for Christ. I was convinced from a passage in Joshua. Not hardly an apologist's first book of choice.

We are considering the apologetical method which is proper to evangelism, to bringing people to saving faith.
Again, the methodology is of little import. The more I read Hilston's self-important intellectually cloaked mumbo-jumbo, the more convinced I am that Clete is right and that although presuppositionalism has merit, it is certainly not the only valid form of contending for the faith.

The testimony to the reality of God, His "eternal power and Godhead," is speech which is heard, knowledge which is shown daily throughout the whole world. Ambassadors of Christ are commissioned to deliver a more powerful message, and the power of the Holy Spirit especially blesses THAT apologetic because, as Jesus said, "when He comes, He will testify of me." If we would have the blessing of that particular power accompany our testimony, we MUST deliver the same message the Holy Spirit descended from heaven to deliver.
Although I certainly agree that an evangelistic message, an apologetic for the faith goes far beyond natural revelation, some men's souls have been seared to such a degree that they either cannot see or they refuse to see what Christians take as agiven. They do NOT see the God of that natural revelation and thus the need for CA which exposes that need to them. I understand that once the Spirit reveals to us the need for salvation and once we have experienced the freedom and grace of Christ his existence is a given. But to argue the point that: God is a given because we beileve what has been revealed because it was revealed and therefore we believe it, is to argue in circles and to beg the question. Even though I agree that the Christian worldview is the one that makes the world make sense, many cannot see that if they are not already on the inside. CA can help penetrate their world-view and point them toward ours.

The testimony of God in the creation is more properly given in the context of the works of Christ the Creator rather than in creation apart from Him. The New Testament says that "the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light;" that is, despite the testimony of God in the creation, darkness shrouded the entire world until the revelation of God in Christ.

Actually Rolf, these words were first spoken in the Old Testament. Yes, they were mesianic prophesy, but they held meaning for the original listeners as well. God was FULLY revealed in Christ, but the world did not walk in utter darkness before his coming.

The creation apart from Christ was the only apologetic to the unbelieving gentile world, and it was shrouded in darkness; but now Christ has come. Now if we speak of creation, we do not present it APART FROM the greater light which He bought into the world.
This I would agree with. Yes, the message of Christ MUST be proclaimed and many CAs have proclaimed it with vigour and force.

THAT is presuppositional apologetics as opposed to classical apologetics. Let Christ be the focus of our message and let all other things be seen in the prism of His work and person.

I don't see the issue as either/or. Do you really think that no classical apologist have ever presentwed the message of Christ? I know you don't believe that because you are a far to intelligent person to believe that. I am sure that you feel the presups do a better job of it but I'm sure you wouldn't do a disservice to all of the great minds who have contended from the faith using a different approach.:)

Rolf Ernst

Chileice--No. How could I disparage anyone whom God has used as instruments to call His people to Himself?

The classical/presuppositional discussion is something for theologians to discuss while missionaries are in the field, some of them from either school of apologetics, some not aware of such a discussion. Nevertheless, it is the message of Christ which the Holy Spirit uses in regenerating His people, and that is a message all must use whether
they are CA or presups.

Though someone may be a CA and may use it regularly, sooner or later they must, to truly win souls, deliver the same message presuppositionalists begin with. The gospel of Christ is not a part of Classical apologetics. It is the beginning and end of presuppositional apologetics.

Some have made great claims for the evangelistic effect of classical apologists, BUT the greatest soul winners of history have been presuppositionalists.

billwald

Dear Rolf

"...the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them..." 1 Cor. 2:14

"...in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God..."
1 Cor. 1:21

"...a man can receive nothing except it be given him from heaven."
Jn.3:27

OK, THEN, in each dispensation, what were the qualifications for knowing God? If a particular person knew God in a dispensation, did he lose this ability when the new dispensation arrived? Did he have to be requalified?

For example, if a person "knew God" in the year before the resurrection and lived 1,000 miles from Jerusalem, did he lose his qualification at the resurrection or at the time that the news of the resurrection reached his location? If he then rejected the information, would he be disqualified?

billwald

Dear Clete

"Some are intentionally not presuppositionalists and yet are directly responsible for having lead hundreds or even thousands of people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ."

"Leading people . . ." is a semi-pelagian concept. Reformed theology teaches that the elect people are out there in the general population. The good news is preached and the elect will respond. No invitation or leading necessary.

Rolf Ernst

Sir Billwald--Calvinists do not acknowledge dispensationalism. God's immutability and the unity of the covenants are contrary to such a doctrine. Abraham saw Christ's day and was glad to see it (said Jesus). The only difference in the times before Christ and after His advent is that they looked forward to Him, and we have the advantage of looking upon things they had not seen.

They saw Him in prophecies and types, and we look upon His finished work but our faith in Him now is the faith of those who were before.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by billwald

Dear Clete

"Some are intentionally not presuppositionalists and yet are directly responsible for having lead hundreds or even thousands of people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ."

"Leading people . . ." is a semi-pelagian concept. Reformed theology teaches that the elect people are out there in the general population. The good news is preached and the elect will respond. No invitation or leading necessary.
I couldn't possibly care less what Reformed theology teaches. The Bible teaches otherwise...
Rom. 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!"
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed:
"Their sound has gone out to all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world."
19 But I say, did Israel not know? First Moses says:
"I will provoke you to jealousy by those who are not a nation,
I will move you to anger by a foolish nation."
20 But Isaiah is very bold and says:
"I was found by those who did not seek Me;
I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me."
21 But to Israel he says:
"All day long I have stretched out My hands
To a disobedient and contrary people."

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Chileice

Sorry for the slowness in jumping back in, but you make an excellent point here Clete. Dozens of generations of regenerate Christians have come and gone without the first hint of understanding presuppositionalism. I placed my faith in Christ at 13 years of age because I realized I was a sinner in need of a Saviour and that all my good works in the world weren't going to get me saved. I didn't know presuppositionalism from post-modernism but I was saved.
Yes, I do understand your point here but Jim makes a good point also. Truth is not determined by a majority vote. If the truth had to be popular or even common place we would all be Catholics and no one would have a clue that Luther ever existed. Indeed, it seems that those who hold to the truth have always been in the minority.

Resting in Him,
Clete

billwald

Rom. 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent?

Nothing like being able to write one's own job description. <G>

Paul got his information direct from God. God is limited by human preachers?

Now days, "How shall they hear without a TV or a radio?"

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by billwald

Rom. 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent?

Nothing like being able to write one's own job description. <G>

Paul got his information direct from God. God is limited by human preachers?

Now days, "How shall they hear without a TV or a radio?"

Umm,

WHAT? :confused:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Second part of my reply to Balder:

Hilston previously wrote: Do you realize the fact that if your logical faculties were flawed, you would have no way of knowing, since you would have to use your logical faculties in order to make such an assessment? I like to blurt out, in non sequitur fashion: "Look at that! The Law of Induction just stopped working!" Most people don't get it and they just look at me funny. The joke, of course, is that induction would have to be used in order to come to such a conclusion, but if induction doesn't work anymore, how could such a conclusion ever be drawn? This is the epistemological dilemma that is (often unwittingly) posed when one says "Logic hasn't failed me, for the most part."

Balder writes:
That’s a nice point. What I was referring to, however, was human systems of logic, which indeed sometimes prove fallible.
"Human systems of logic", as compared or opposed to what?

Balder writes:
One more thing. You have asked me on several occasions if I believe there are any universal laws. My answer is that I believe there are certain universals, which might be called laws (a metaphor taken from human social experience), depending on how one uses the term.
OK, let's just say "law-like" so we don't have to get hung up on the term. What are the "law-like" universals you believe in?

Balder writes:
But I would add that I believe that many of the things we call laws are more likely universal habits. Certainly, this is the contention of Buddhism, and a number of modern physicists and biologists agree: things manifest and behave in a certain way, along certain "grooves" or lines of development, not because abstract laws compel them to, but because a momentum has built up which makes one sort of happening more likely than another, given certain prevailing conditions.
It would really really really REALLY help if you could put some skin and bones on what you're talking about. Puh-LEEEEZE offer an example so we can discuss it.

Balder writes:
If immutable laws were actually in effect in all areas of the development of systems and organisms, then how would mutations and variations occur ... whence would come novelty?
That's exactly what I am going to ask you. Since you anticipated this question, I'm still interested in getting your alternate accounting for this reality.

Balder writes:
Quantum physicists says that absolute determinism is out; ...
And they're absolutely wrong about that.

Balder writes:
... there is an openness at the heart of reality which allows for the new, even though the "old" carries a lot of weight and makes movement in one direction much more likely than in other ways ...
Why do you believe this?

Balder writes:
So, when you speak of laws, what exactly are you thinking of? Are you talking about lawfulness and order in general, or about specific laws that are observable in the universe?
Yes. Both.

Balder writes:
Do you think gravity, entropy, and the speed of light are all specifically derive from similar laws that exist in the nature of God?
There are no laws "in the nature of God." Laws legislate; God is under no legislation and is responsible to no one and to nothing.

Balder writes:
As I said in earlier posts, two Buddhist tenets -- the primordiality of experience or "mind" and the radical interdependence and co-determination of phenomena -- are quite capable of accounting for the order of cosmos.
Did order always exist? Or did it arise phenomenologically out of chaos?

Balder writes:
The primordiality of "mind" is not something many physicists readily accept, though some (like David Bohm) speak about the primordiality of meaning (soma-significance and signa-somatics), ...
Don't forget about sogma-somnificance and simni-sigmatics. Can you define for me what you mean by "primordial/primordiality"? And what is "meaning" according to your view? Günther isn't very helpful. For all he has to say around the word "meaning," he gives no clarity to the word whatever.

Balder writes:
... but the idea that the universe is holistically interrelated, somehow seamless or "entangled," in which the whole is implicate in every part, is more strongly supported by current evidence and is not viewed as far-fetched by many quantum physicists, as I'm sure you're aware.
I'm quite familiar with the giddy enthusiasm QPs exhibit as they skip along, hand-in-hand like little girls, on their way to conduct their self-fulfilling experiments. They still can't account for the very method they presume to employ in reaching their conclusions, nor can they justify the criteria by which they discard so-called outlying data.

Balder writes:
Since you just love translator Herbert Guenther's way with words, especially when he's trying to explicate a Dzogchen text and whippin' out the hyphens, I will quote some passages from him that are relevant:

"The quest for life’s meaning reaches its completion in the realization and enactment of meaningful existence, which implies, as inseparable from it, a sensitivity to and discovery of meanings in lived-through experience."
What's that mean, and why do you believe it?

Balder writes:
"... Rather it points to the open texture and dimension which in its very openness is already pregnant with possible meaning."
Why do you believe this?

Balder writes [quoting Günther]:
'Meaning' also is not something fixed once for all, but is an emerging, developing, and projective movement of the open dimension of existence, and acquires its full scope in lived-through experience.
How does Dzogchen know this? And why do you believe it?

Since meaning is always meaning for someone, who yet never stands outside the configuration of lived experience, this circumstance points to the human being (or existent) who, in the search for ‘meaningful existence’ – for the meaning of (his) existence – cannot but start from the 'experience' of existence as the being he himself is. Such a starting point precludes any attempt to resort to such notions as 'substance' (which means different things to different persons, be they philosophers or lesser mortals), or 'particular existent,' which is always meant to be a particular ‘this’ in contrast with some other particular 'that,' and about which propositions are entertained as to the ‘what’ this particular existent is, be this 'what' then declared to be a substance or an essence.
Why can't he just say that everything is relative and subjective, including everything he said in the above paragraph?

The configuration 'existence-meaning-experience' is therefore not a category in the traditional sense. Its presentational and, at the same time, developing character directs attention to the 'how' rather than to the 'what,' and it is this 'how' that introduces the dynamic character into what otherwise might be conceived of as something static and lifeless.
Do you believe in the permanence of the soul, Balder? Or do you hold to the doctrine of anatta? Is a yes or no answer possible? Or is that going require another prolix treatise, complete with Tibetan transliterations and hyphenated character strings?

Moreover, this 'how' is presented in immediacy and is present as a kind of invitation to a response. The response is never mechanical, but always interpretive by virtue of lived-through experience. Presentational immediacy is already a situation open to interpretation. In its openness it is bound to the open texture of Being, and in its dynamic unfolding it is self-presenting, self-projective, and linked to interpretation which can take two different directions: the one, preserving cohesion, leads to 'meaningful existence'; the other, losing its anchorage, leads to 'fictitious being.' However, the important point to note is that 'existence-meaning-experience' is both configuration and process, and as such the constituents are throughout dialectically interpenetrating ontological features at work in every lived-through experience.
So is Dzogchen assertationally espousifying an unmediationally intuitivicty for the existent? It appears that he is saying that the discernation of any particularized invitationing event is cognizationed by the existent in a manneredness foundationally subjectioned and accordanced upon the basicicity of non-uniform interpretationing parameters, fluxing variationally in panna fashion from one existent to the next. Did I get that right? In other words, can panna be trusted to say anything meaningful at all? If so, on what grounds? If not, where do you draw the line and what's the point?

This configuration-process character of Being – an idea characteristic of Dzogchen thought and a distinct contribution to Buddhist philosophy – is in terms of facticity described as 'unchanging' and 'indestructible,' for which latter term the symbol of the diamond (vajra) is used. In terms of presentational presence it is described as a 'thrust towards and invitation by limpid clearness and consummate perspicacity'; and in terms of experience, as 'calmness,' which is meaning-orientedness and meaning-saturatedness in the experiencer’s concrete existence. Each of these three 'layers' acts as a 'founding stratum' and they all are related to each other by 'mutual foundedness.'
I'm really trying Balder. But this is ridiculous. It's a huge waste of time that I don't have. Here's the thing: I can go through and replace each of Günther's non-normative words with English words that make perfect sense. I know, cuz I've tried. It's the only way to understand this stuff. After I do this, the sentences become incoherent. Maybe to you there is actual meaning in these words. But if ask for it, I get more word inventions that strain at the boundaries of normative semantics. Maybe that, to you, is impressive and gives you good feelings and you find it personally fulfilling to meditate on these things. But that doesn't make it rational. The English language comprises 500,000 to 600,000 words, closer to a million if you include scientific terms (which I will not complain about). The English syntax is also sufficiently robust that you should be able to communicate clearly without resorting to word-inventions and word-groupings that make the eyes glaze over (what the heck is "presentational immediacy of existence"??? -- I know what each of those words mean; so why do I still not know what is meant by it?). I'm not averse to the occasional rendering of words in the original form, as my own posts indicate, but to totally re-jigger words and syntactical conventions that have a long-standing, well-established, patently successful history is unwarranted. I've debated Buddhists before that haven't had to resort to this. Maybe you attribute this to the higher and more intellectual tradition of Dzogchen. Maybe it's a lot of smoke-blowing. How could anyone tell the difference, especially given the fact that I could write have written this stuff myself and started my own religion?

The first set of terms is used to make it clear that throughout experience an element of facticity is already in force which, negatively stated, implies that existence as existence can do nothing about its ‘existing’ and hence can neither be subject to change (qualitatively) nor destroyed (substantially).
Does it impress you that Dzogchen understood the first law of thermodynamics? Did the middle way lead him to that understanding? Were Joule and Helmholtz relying on Buddhist thought when they codified the conservation of mass and energy?

As facticity the open texture and open dimension of Being is in no way prejudged, contradicted, or restricted.[ 'Thrust towards and invitation by limpid clearness and consummate perspicacity’ points to the projective character which is inseparable from open texture in facticity, and in its presentational immediacy it preserves elements of this open dimension and facticity and solicits a response to its presence. 'Calmness' illustrates the response to the presentational immediacy of existence in experience which gives it its specific 'meaning,' that is 'calmness.' In the same way as the projective feature of existence retains its open-dimensional character, so also 'meaning' is not merely a passive resultant of the stimulus-response interaction. It, too, retains the projective texture by opening up ways towards understanding. It is therefore obvious that this configuration-process complex, first of all, is not an object alongside other objects (which in order to gain meaning would necessitate a subject). Objectification is made possible by virtue of the projective character of this configuration-process complex. Second, it follows that this configuration-process complex also is not a subject in the manner of transcendental ego, be this of the Kantian or Husserlian variety, the one synthesizing the operation of perception, imagination, and conception, the other functioning as the ultimate source of intentional consciousness. The constitution of a subject emerges late and in conjunction with the process of objectification. Moreover, the subject-object structure which belongs to and underlies all representational thinking, as one possible direction, but certainly not the only possible one, into which interpretation can move, simply does not apply here.
Why do you believe this? Do you even understand it? Have you found that meditating on these words gives you a good feeling? It does to me, too. Here's where the good feeling comes from: Figuring out what the heck he is saying. Since you're already impressed by Dzogchen, anything you can figure out is going to give you the warm-and-fuzzies. But since you can't communicate the ineffable "truth" in your own words, you resort to excerpting huge tracts of Dzogchenian real estate, hoping either to scare off your challengers, or to confuse them into a catatonic fog. Or so it seems.

‘Buddha’ cannot and must not be equated with an ‘object’ or a ‘subject.’ Rather as this configuration-process complex, ‘Buddha’ points to experience which makes the emergence and constitution of a subject-object determined world-horizon possible.
Good grief, Balder. Couldn't you (or Günther) just say, "Budda is indescribable and utterly subjective"?

In this primary sense ‘Buddha’ is a term that sums up what we would call the ontology and ontogenesis of experience, which from the outset is configurative, open-dimensional, dynamical, meaning-oriented and meaning-saturated, and includes the experiencer in whom it is concretely present and who in this phrase is ‘Buddha.’ When in the interpretive analysis of experience the latter’s existentially significant, embodying and embodied character is singled out and referred to as ‘founding stratum of meaning’ (chos-sku) where founding stratum is understood as the absoluteness of Being concretely experienced, knowing as a process of disclosure (ye-shes, wisdom or knowledge of Truth) is already at work…”
Now I get it. You've taken it upon yourself to afflict me with as my own personal samsara. Is that it?

... In the above lengthy quotation [of which I have only posted two verses, to spare your eyes and your mind!], which epitomizes the multifaceted nature of experience, two themes stand out. One is that of indivisibility (dbyer-med, nonduality), the other that of configuration (dkyil-‘khor, mandala or world-horizon). Both, however are intimately related.
Yes, unity and diversity exist in our experience. The Triune God accounts for that phenomenon. I'm becoming convinced that your Dzogchenian solution is to not actually solve the long-standing impenetrable problem, but to talk around it in equally impenetrable jargon that short circuits the synapses into a karmic quagmire.

As we have seen in a previous chapter, indivisibility, also referred to as nonduality, names the functional operation of complementarity.
Functional operation of WHAT? What in the fallujah are you talking about? Complementarity? For crying out loud.

It does not indicate the obliteration of differentiations, nor does it imply a fusion of disparate entities. Rather, it emphasizes the presence of a continuum from which, negatively speaking, dichotomies such as exterior and interior, subject and object, are suspended. More positively stated, these dichotomies are seen and felt to interpenetrate 'like the reflection of the moon in water.'
Do you understand that paragraph, Balder? Explain it to me.

The indivisibility of Being and Existenz can be illustrated by analogies taken from the realm of science, which speaks of the indivisibility of energy and its radiation and of the vacuum and its fluctuations. But in Dzogchen thought there is the additional factor of intelligence which inheres in the very dynamics of the unfolding universe itself, ...
Define intelligence and then explain its nature. Is it personal? Is it active or passive? Does it function or exist according to set parameters and universal constraints? And have you personally experienced this?

... and which makes primordiality of experience of paramount importance. The atemporal onset of this unfoldment occasions the emergence of various intentional structures, thereby allowing felt meanings to occur. Since this onset is structurally 'prior' to any functional splitting, one speaks of the indivisibility of openness ...
You mean, like "emptiness"?

... (emptiness) ...
Oh -- so you CAN use words we all understand!

... and its presencing ...
You mean, like its "form"?

... (form), ...
Yes, I see. Instead of just saying "form," there's has to be the "inventioning" of a word by the "unfoldment "of a noun into gerund and call it "presencing". That's sure to impress people and to make Günther sound very holy and Dzogchen sound profoundly intimidating.

... which involves the gauging of what will become the 'world' (as the specific horizon-form of lived-through experience)…"

If you survived the above read ...
Barely. It makes me want to punch someone in the head, just for fun. But that wouldn't bode well for me in the karmic realm. Is "right communication" a part of the 8-fold path? It should be. But then again, perspicuity would probably do more to undermine Dzogchen tradition than promote it.

Balder writes:
... (only a German could do that to the English language), I'll tie it in closer to this discussion with a few questions:

Balder writes:
Do you believe existence has an origin?
God's existence? No. The existence of everything that is non-God or not God? Yes.

Balder writes:
How about sentience or intelligence? Does it have an origin?
God's? No. Man's? Yes.

Balder writes:
Must these things neccessarily have an origin?
God's? No. Man's? Yes.

Balder writes:
Is there a relationship between them?
Yes. Eternal existence is the source of sempiternal existence. Same with intelligence and sentience. Is the Buddhistic primordial Existent personal?

Balder writes:
Does God exist? Is He sentient or intelligent? Does He have an origin?
You already know the answers to these questions. Yes. Yes. And no.

Balder writes:
P.S. Concerning the modus ponens, the fact that it works, that we take it to be "intuitive," is an argument for the truth of the Buddhist doctrines of pratitya-samutpada (dependent co-origination or interdependence), as well as karma.
How do you know it works?

Last edited:

Balder

Hilston,

I haven't yet read your whole reply, but I've skimmed enough on my break to get your gist. I would really like you to reply to my final post to you as well, before responding in great detail to you.

Peace,
Balder

billwald

Yesterday's sermon started out with the preacher saying we are bound by the "law of gravity" and ended by saying that Jesus "maintains" everything. Do we live in a real, physical universe or a virtual universe maintained by Jesus and/or the mind of God?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Hilston asked:
Let me ask this question, and if I may also urge you to answer it as clearly as you can: What would you say (YOU, Balder, not Dzogchen, not Siddhartha, but YOU) is the necessary precondition for the intelligibility of human experience? I claim the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible is the only coherent answer. I welcome your suggested alternative.

You earlier mentioned how Dzogchen rescues you from dualism. I'd like for you to unpack this, in your own words, if you can.

Balder writes:
I would say the number one precondition for the intelligibility of human experience (and everything else), according to Dzogchen Buddhist thought, is the absolute nature of reality, ...
What do you mean by 'absolute'? What do you mean by 'reality'? The only thing absolute in my view is the existence of God. Reality is defined by God Himself, and all proper judgment and observation are based on His preinterpretation of reality. God Himself informing man is the only means of objective truth according to my view. Is objective truth available to man in your view?

Balder writes:
... which you may call “emptiness” or “Being.”
It's one thing to "call" it something, it's another thing to define it. Is it ineffable? Ephemeral? Do you espouse the concept of maya?

Balder writes:
Emptiness here is not a nihilistic concept, meaning absolute non-existence or nothingness, but rather is a term which refers to the absolute “openness” and unconditionality of Being itself.
So the absolute nature of reality is "openness". What does that mean? There are no rules? There are no constraints or limits? Open in what way? When you say "unconditionality of Being," as opposed to what? "Conditionality of Being? Explain yourself, Balder.

Balder writes:
Being is absolute.
How do you know? Your own being may seem absolute to you, but how do you make the leap to other minds? Other beings?

Balder writes:
It is a given fact that does not need to be explained; it goes without saying. Being may be explicated in terms of its features, but the immediate fact or presence of Being itself, its “thereness” or “suchness,” cannot be seriously or coherently questioned.
Show me the absolute nature and openness of your own being. Give me a demonstration.

Balder writes:
Thus, Being did not “come into existence” at any time, or “come from” anywhere; it always is.
Why do you believe this?

Balder writes:
In the Buddhist (particularly Dzogchen) tradition, Being is also called Mind-as-such (sems-nyid) or buddhanature. Being and knowing are a unity;
Then being isn't absolute, Balder.

Balder writes:
... self-existent pristine cognitiveness, as the nature of Being itself, is the ground of all existents.
That's a tautology, Balder. Being as the ground of being is incoherent. It's not that impressive when you boil it down, Balder.

Balder writes:
To speak in characteristically Dzogchen language, the absolute nature of reality is best described as the inseparability of clarity and emptiness, of Awareness and Being.
Yes, yes, Descartes taught us all about the cogito. The problem is making the leap from solipsistic awareness to the existence of other minds; to coherent statements about actual reality and justifying your epistemic parameters. That's where all this poetry seems to fall flat, Balder.

Balder writes:
Alternatively, Dzogchen describes ultimate reality in triune terms: Essence, Nature, and Energy.
Very nice. The Catholic church took the pagan gods and rename them after characters of the Bible. Dzogchen takes the Persons of the Godhead and renames them according to his own Godless notions of "being."

Balder writes:
Here, essence is the utter openness of Being, nature is the clarity or intrinsic awareness and intelligence of Being, and Energy is the spontaneous fecundity and creativity of Being, ...
These are all nice descriptions, and probably intimidate the beejeepers out of the average person. I see it as a lot of self-refuting rhetoric.

Balder writes:
... which manifests either in the form of pristine cognitions ...
Of course, and "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father." I understand that Dzogchen has hijacked the Christian concept of the Second Person manifesting the Trinity, just as you claim the SEPC as the "nature of Being" manifests the triunity of Being, and that's all very clever. I want to know if the SEPC is personal and self-aware.

Balder writes:
(discrete knowings that never stray from their source) ...
So much for "absolute openness".

Balder writes:
... or in the form of dualistic consciousness, which tends toward going further and further astray from the true nature of its ground.
Please elaborate.

Balder writes:
Another way of speaking about reality in Dzogchen Buddhism is as “the single sphere, unbounded wholeness.”
So is that a universal truth? Are distinctions actual or merely illusions? Moreover, how does one "stray" from something that is unbounded? Is the "straying" due to proximty? Is it due to "otherness" of some sort? Conceptually straying? Behaviorally straying?

Balder writes:
Here, “sphere” is a metaphor, a way of describing the utter completeness and fullness of Being, rather than a literal object which would have a “border” beyond which was “nothing” or “something else.”
Of course, the incoherent idea of "absolute openness" covers that nakedness.

Balder writes:
The idea, of course, is that Being, and all beings that flow from it, are “of a piece,” whole, ultimately inseparable. No individual being is self-existent; its existence depends literally upon the whole, which cannot be cut or divided, impacted or diminished in any way.
So what is your desire, Balder?

Balder writes:
Thus, these facets of the nature of Being account for the intelligibility of human experience: the facticity of Being itself as the ground of all experience, Mind-as-such; the openness and intelligence of Being as the possibility for all and every “form” to manifest; and the seamless wholeness and integrity of Being as the fabric of all things that show up in co-determinative, radically interdependent fashion.
So, the reason why I expect a tossed apple to fall is because the facticity of Being itself as the ground of all experience, Mind-as-such; the openness and intelligence of Being as the possibility for all and every “form” to manifest; and the seamless wholeness and integrity of Being as the fabric of all things that show up in co-determinative, radically interdependent fashion. Why do you find this convincing or compelling?

Balder writes:
The pervasiveness of the intelligence of Being and the fundamental wholeness of Being (in itself and in the relationships that show up “within” it) account for the order and intelligibility of all things, forming the ground for all cognitive endeavors in the human sphere.
How does that ultimately inseparable monolithic impersonal Being account for my individuality, self-awareness, personal distinctiveness and desires? This is the essence of dualism, Balder.

Here's the bottom line: Who says? Why should we listen to Dzogchen, Balder? You have yet to tell us why you believe his claims? You have yet to tell us why anyone else should believe. What's worse, you offer no motivation to even consider them.

Here is my perception: Buddhists such as Balder are impressed with the teachings of evolutionism, but realize the futility of strict materialism. But they also hate the Judeo-Christian conception of God as Creator and Master. So, in order to have the best of both worlds, they borrow from both. On the one hand, these Buddhists whole-heartedly embrace the scientific aspects of evolutionism that sufficiently impress them. But on the other hand, in order to rescue them from the dead end of materialism, they hijack Christian concepts to provide a spiritual realm, redefining words and concepts in order to hide the similarities in obscure nomenclature. It is evolutionism with a mechanism, but still no less incoherent, because somehow impersonal inseparable unity of Being must somehow give rise to a diversity of personalities and discrete entities.

Last edited:

Balder

Hilston,

I’ve made a start on your two lengthy letters. I’ll post what I’ve responded to so far, and feel free to respond in turn at any time; but I will also be posting responses to other portions of your letter as well.

For your information, since I picked up that you were starting to use Dzogchen as a personal name, Dzogchen is the name of a tradition, not of a particular spiritual figure. Dzog-chen literally means, “Great Perfection” or “Great Completeness.”

Balder writes:
That’s a nice point. What I was referring to, however, was human systems of logic, which indeed sometimes prove fallible.

"Human systems of logic", as compared or opposed to what?

What are YOU thinking of? Can you name, and explain in your own words, any system of logic that is not a human system of logic? I am not talking about a general appeal to "God's logic," but to any form of logic which you yourself employ and with which you are personally familiar.

Balder writes:
Quantum physicists say that absolute determinism is out; ...

And they're absolutely wrong about that.

If you believe everything in the universe is absolutely deterministic, how do you account for free will? Or is that out?

I'm quite familiar with the giddy enthusiasm QPs exhibit as they skip along, hand-in-hand like little girls, on their way to conduct their self-fulfilling experiments. They still can't account for the very method they presume to employ in reaching their conclusions, nor can they justify the criteria by which they discard so-called outlying data.

Let me guess. Their work is "groundless" because they don't believe a cosmic, stylized Oriental despot or tribal wargod set it all in motion?

Balder writes (quoting Günther):
‘Buddha’ cannot and must not be equated with an ‘object’ or a ‘subject.’ Rather as this configuration-process complex, ‘Buddha’ points to experience which makes the emergence and constitution of a subject-object determined world-horizon possible.

Good grief, Balder. Couldn't you (or Günther) just say, "Budda (sic) is indescribable and utterly subjective"?

I guess I could, if you really want me to. But that's not what Guenther said.

Balder writes:
... which you may call “emptiness” or “Being.”

So the absolute nature of reality is "openness". What does that mean? There are no rules? There are no constraints or limits? Open in what way? When you say "unconditionality of Being," as opposed to what? "Conditionality of Being? Explain yourself, Balder.

Being is not opposed to, conditioned by, or dependent upon anything. It is unlimited and unconstrained by "rules." That's what "absolute" means.

Show me the absolute nature and openness of your own being. Give me a demonstration.

Are you prepared to seriously take up the practice of meditation? If you are, then you will surely get your demonstration, sooner or later.

Balder writes:
Thus, Being did not “come into existence” at any time, or “come from” anywhere; it always is.

Why do you believe this?

The alternative is incoherent. And the traditional theistic answer is problematic. Ask a Christian if there is a beginning to existence, they will say yes, there must be. Ask a Christian if God has a beginning, they will say no. Ask a Christian if God exists, they will say yes…

Balder writes:
In the Buddhist (particularly Dzogchen) tradition, Being is also called
Mind-as-such (sems-nyid) or buddhanature. Being and knowing are a
unity;

Then being isn't absolute, Balder.

Huh? Explain yourself, Hilston!

quote:
Balder writes:
... self-existent pristine cognitiveness, as the nature of Being itself, is the ground of all existents.

That's a tautology, Balder. Being as the ground of being is incoherent. It's not that impressive when you boil it down, Balder.

It’s not that impressive when you misrepresent it! I think you just didn't read it very carefully. I didn't say Being is the ground of Being, or even of Existence, but of existents. Being-as-such does not have a "ground,” a conditioning support, or a source.

Balder writes:
To speak in characteristically Dzogchen language, the absolute nature of reality is best described as the inseparability of clarity and emptiness, of Awareness and Being.

Yes, yes, Descartes taught us all about the cogito. The problem is making the leap from solipsistic awareness to the existence of other minds; to coherent statements about actual reality and justifying your epistemic parameters. That's where all this poetry seems to fall flat, Balder.

Descartes was on to something, but his conclusions were dualistic and thus ultimately flawed. He initiated the intractable mind-body problem that has plagued Western philosophy ever since. Being is self-aware, but in this case, awareness is not some separate, distinct property which Being possesses, or which it might lose or cast off. Knowing and Being are a unity.

Balder writes:
Alternatively, Dzogchen describes ultimate reality in triune terms: Essence, Nature, and Energy.

Very nice. The Catholic church took the pagan gods and rename them after characters of the Bible. Dzogchen takes the Persons of the Godhead and renames them according to his own Godless notions of "being."

I'm sorry, you've got it backwards. Those superstitious and philosophically untutored fishermen and tax collectors obviously took the Buddhist trikaya and mythologized it in good, hick-like, anthropomorphic fashion! Sorry, Hilston, if you're going to continue to make these ridiculous statements about Buddhism "stealing" from Christianity, I am going to have a hard time taking you seriously.

Balder writes:
Here, essence is the utter openness of Being, nature is the clarity or intrinsic awareness and intelligence of Being, and Energy is the spontaneous fecundity and creativity of Being, ...
These are all nice descriptions, and probably intimidate the beejeepers out of the average person. I see it as a lot of self-refuting rhetoric.

Well, they stumped you for awhile! But if you see what I'm saying as a lot of self-refuting rhetoric, don't just say so. Demonstrate the incoherence. You haven't done that yet; you’ve only mocked, mischaracterized, and misread things and then responded to your distortions.

Balder writes:
... which manifests either in the form of pristine cognitions ...

Of course, and "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father." I understand that Dzogchen has hijacked the Christian concept of the Second Person manifesting the Trinity, just as you claim the SEPC as the "nature of Being" manifests the triunity of Being, and that's all very clever. I want to know if the SEPC is personal and self-aware.

Yes, SEPC is self-aware. But I need to ask you what you mean by personal. It is not a particular person, an entity that is set over against other entities.

Balder writes:
(discrete knowings that never stray from their source) ...

So much for "absolute openness."

Says who?

Here's the bottom line: …Why should we listen to Dzogchen, Balder? You have yet to tell us why you believe his claims? You have yet to tell us why anyone else should believe. What's worse, you offer no motivation to even consider them.

I have been writing here not to proselytize for Dzogchen, since I have no expectations that you or Clete will be leaving your faiths soon, and I am not trying to entice you to do so. I am only answering your challenge that no other worldview can account for the world as we know it, as well as giving you the opportunity (quite graciously, I might add ;) ) to demonstrate presuppositionalism in action.

Peace,
Balder

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Balder
For your information, since I picked up that you were starting to use Dzogchen as a personal name, Dzogchen is the name of a tradition, not of a particular spiritual figure. Dzog-chen literally means, “Great Perfection” or “Great Completeness.”
That's fine. Why do you believe the teachings of the Dzogchen tradition to be true?

Can you name, and explain in your own words, any system of logic that is not a human system of logic?
There is only one true system of logic, that which derives from the revealed nature of God. And then there are human corruptions of it.

If you believe everything in the universe is absolutely deterministic, how do you account for free will? Or is that out?
It depends on how you define free will. Do you really believe you're free? Give me an example of an unconstrained decision you've made.

Let me guess. Their work is "groundless" because they don't believe a cosmic, stylized Oriental despot or tribal wargod set it all in motion?
Their work is not groundless. Their assumptions are.

Hilston previously wrote:
Good grief, Balder. Couldn't you (or Günther) just say, "Budda (sic) is indescribable and utterly subjective"?

I guess I could, if you really want me to. But that's not what Guenther said.
Is that what you believe? That Buddha is indescribable and utterly subjective?

Originally posted by Balder Are you prepared to seriously take up the practice of meditation? If you are, then you will surely get your demonstration, sooner or later.
How do you define meditation? Why did you take it up? What reason would you give for me to consider meditation as you define it?

The alternative is incoherent. And the traditional theistic answer is problematic. Ask a Christian if there is a beginning to existence, they will say yes, there must be. Ask a Christian if God has a beginning, they will say no. Ask a Christian if God exists, they will say yes…
Why must there be only one kind of existence?

Being is self-aware, ...
How do you know this is true?

... but in this case, awareness is not some separate, distinct property which Being possesses, or which it might lose or cast off. Knowing and Being are a unity.
Are Knowing and Being mutually inclusive? Can an unconscious entity have Being?

Hilston wrote:

I'm sorry, you've got it backwards. Those superstitious and philosophically untutored fishermen and tax collectors obviously took the Buddhist trikaya and mythologized it in good, hick-like, anthropomorphic fashion! Sorry, Hilston, if you're going to continue to make these ridiculous statements about Buddhism "stealing" from Christianity, I am going to have a hard time taking you seriously.
What makes my statement ridiculous? Why should I take you any more seriously than you take me?

Hilston wrote:

Originally posted by Balder Well, they stumped you for awhile!
Balder, I could easily make up a boatload of jargon-saturated double-speak that would take time and effort for anyone to unravel. I'm not convinced that you haven't been duped by a German huckster.

But if you see what I'm saying as a lot of self-refuting rhetoric, don't just say so. Demonstrate the incoherence. You haven't done that yet; you’ve only mocked, mischaracterized, and misread things and then responded to your distortions.
The incoherence lies in your evasion and avoidance of speaking in comprehensible terms. Whenever I try to get you to define things, the result is more entanglement.

Yes, SEPC is self-aware.
Does this self-awareness include will and desire?

But I need to ask you what you mean by personal. It is not a particular person, an entity that is set over against other entities.
It's a self-aware non-person? Why do you believe this?

I have been writing here not to proselytize for Dzogchen, since I have no expectations that you or Clete will be leaving your faiths soon, and I am not trying to entice you to do so.
Why would anyone want to embrace Dzogchen?

Elsewhere you've written:
[T]he fully realized Buddha [has] a radiant and eternal body.
Why do you believe this?

When you talk about "our fulfillment lying most definitely in our transcendence of the limitations of this life," why should one desire to transcend "the limitations of this life"?

You wrote that "there are in fact quite a number of teachings that give a glimpse of what 'lies beyond.'" Why do you believe that these teachings are true?

Why do you believe Siddhartha was right?

Balder

Hi, Hilston,

I just saw you added something. I was coming to add the following piece, but I haven't read your response yet. I will now!

Balder wrote:
But I would add that I believe that many of the things we call laws are more likely universal habits. Certainly, this is the contention of Buddhism, and a number of modern physicists and biologists agree: things manifest and behave in a certain way, along certain "grooves" or lines of development, not because abstract laws compel them to, but because a momentum has built up which makes one sort of happening more likely than another, given certain prevailing conditions.

Hilston literally begged:
It would really really really REALLY help if you could put some skin and bones on what you're talking about. Puh-LEEEEZE offer an example so we can discuss it.

One example would be the problem of exact measurement. If you actually take seriously the data that are produced upon successive measurements of physical properties or variables, not “rounding off” or imagining an abstract “perfect condition” which is never actually found in nature, you do not find exact non-statistical regularity, which would be indicative of an absolutely deterministic law in operation. What you do find is varying degrees of habit, of varying, approximate, statistical regularity: in other words, relatively stable patterns of behavior, from certain very entrenched patterns to others which appear to be freer and more open to novelty.

There are lots of examples that could be taken from nature – why protein molecules tend to take a particular form, when no known laws would necessitate that they take that form over others, and yet they do; why out of 250,000 different species of plants, only 3 basic distribution patterns of leaves around stems are found; why bone structures of paws, hands, and fins have similar forms in all vertebrae; etc. You could say that God made them that way, but that is not an argument for specific deterministic laws of nature that require these things to take these forms. Another answer is that the tendency to “hover” around specific forms of organization is indicative of entrenched habits of nature – not “legal necessities,” but behavioral grooves, strange attractors that influence what forms emerge, and how.

Peace,
Balder

Last edited:

Balder

Okay, to respond to a few of your latest comments:

There is only one true system of logic, that which derives from the revealed nature of God. And then there are human corruptions of it.

Do you know this one true logical system, or only the human corruptions of it? Exactly how and where is it revealed? How do you tell if you've discerned it correctly, and not been misled by fallible human corruptions of logic in the process of your evaluation of it?
Are Knowing and Being mutually inclusive? Can an unconscious entity have Being?

Yes, an unconscious entity can have being. Unconsciousness is still a form of consciousness, albeit often a stepped down, non-self-reflective form of consciousness. And even very complex operations of consciousness may take place outside of the immediate purview of personal consciousness. Through the practice of meditation, however, awareness may expand into areas formerly inaccessible to you.

Does this self-awareness [of the SEPC] include will and desire?

It includes intentionality, yes.

Why do you believe the teachings of the Dzogchen tradition to be true?

You wrote that "there are in fact quite a number of teachings that give a glimpse of what 'lies beyond.'" Why do you believe that these teachings are true?

Why do you believe Siddhartha was right?

There are many reasons, but the only one that I think will carry much weight with you is the following: it is a humanly inexplicable gift of faith.

And that's all I have time for tonight.

Peace,
Balder