ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Um.. you're ignoring the text and dodging the question. Was God sad that He created when He created, or was that change from His statement that creation was "Very Good?"

I am not ignoring the text. You are confusing texts.

You attempt to make some connection between God being grieved with wickedness with creating all things good.

For starters, God is impassive, and is not subject to emotions such as are His creatures. When we grieve over a matter, the emotions rule our hearts, minds, and will. When God grieves over a matter, no emotion governs His actions or overrules His decrees.

This grief over the sinfulness of created beings produced a judgmental necessity to God.

Creator God was not surprised at the fall of Adam. He ordained that Adam would fall, and He ordained the remedy (the provision of His Son).

Did God regret creating as He created?

Ooops . . .there you go! Blaming God for the sin of Adam. Can't do that, Muz, and still believe in free will!

God did not create Adam a sinner. Adam was created in the image of God, and was declared "very good." Even though God knew the limitations of His created man and the proclivity to sin, Adam shared a time of true fellowship with God in a state of upright innocence, before he willfully chose to disobey his Maker.

The blame for sin and death is squarely placed upon Adam. (Romans 5:12)

Actually, I'm trying to reflect what God has revealed about Himself in His Word, both in creation and in Noah's day. In creation, it was "Very good", which sounds as though God is pleased, but in Noah's day, God is "sad" or "relents" or whatever you want to call it, and His emotion towards creation is very different from what it was at creation.

This would only be true, if God had no prior knowledge of the fall and sin. However, God had full knowledge of what Adam would do and clearly prophesied Adam's death:

". . But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it, you shall surely die." Genesis 2:17

Here we see God commanding and issuing Law. We see God prophesying what Adam would do. We see God fairly warning Adam about the judgment of death.

So, God changes His mind about how He feels about creation. And that's just from reading the text. Why do you need to obfuscate to make the text go away?

Muz

God did not change His mind or His word about anything. God simply took no pleasure and joy in what Adam caused. God's good and holy purposes overrule any emotional or changeable "feelings." Emotional "feelings" are strictly a human, mortal trait; not the divine essence or nature of God.

Nang

LightSon

The definition of the "repentance" is given in the same first sentence:

"And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart." Genesis 6:6

God did not change His mind.

muz makes a fair point.

If at one point God declared His creation good, and then at some future point was found to be "sorry", then something changed. Something within God changed from approval to disapproval. This observation seems to stand on its own, but how in the face of "God does not change". Either (1) God changed to be "sorry" or (2) He was "sorry" from eternity past. Which is it? it has to be one or the other.

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, btw; this really baffles me within the context of Calvinistic thinking.

Last edited:

themuzicman

I am not ignoring the text. You are confusing texts.

You attempt to make some connection between God being grieved with wickedness with creating all things good.

For starters, God is impassive, and is not subject to emotions such as are His creatures. When we grieve over a matter, the emotions rule our hearts, minds, and will. When God grieves over a matter, no emotion governs His actions or overrules His decrees.

And yet God says He has emotions. Sounds like it's you against Scripture.

This grief over the sinfulness of created beings produced a judgmental necessity to God.

Make up your mind. Does God grieve or not? Is God in a constant state of grief?

Creator God was not surprised at the fall of Adam. He ordained that Adam would all, and He ordained the remedy (the provision of His Son).

And yet He regrets what He has done. Does God always regret creating man?

Ooops . . .there you go! Blaming God for the sin of Adam. Can't do that, Muz, and still believe in free will!

Umm... I asked you a question. Apparently you can't answer it.

God did not create Adam a sinner. Adam was created in the image of God, and was declared "very good." Even though God knew the limitations of His created man and the proclivity to sin, Adam shared a time of true fellowship with God in a state of upright innocence, before he willfully chose to disobey his Maker.

Did God regret creating man then?

The blame for sin and death is squarely placed upon Adam. (Romans 5:12)

Which is wholly inconsistent with the Calvinist view, which says that God causes all things.

This would only be true, if God had no prior knowledge of the fall and sin. However, God had full knowledge of what Adam would do and clearly prophesied Adam's death:

". . But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it, you shall surely die." Genesis 2:17

That's a command to not eat, not a prophecy. Wow. You're in top twisting Scripture form, today!

Here we see God commanding and issuing Law. We see God prophesying what Adam would do. We see God fairly warning Adam about the judgment of death.

That's just silly. Where does God say, "You will eat of the tree?"

God did not change His mind or His word about anything. God simply took no pleasure and joy in what Adam caused. God's good and holy purposes overrule any emotional or changeable "feelings." Emotional "feelings" are strictly a human, mortal trait; not the divine essence or nature of God.

So, answer the question: Has God always regretted creating man?

Muz

Nang

TOL Subscriber
muz makes a fair point.

If at one point God declared His creation good, and then at some future point was found to be "sorry", then something changed.

Yes, something changed . . . Adam went from being created upright, to becoming a covenant-breaking, dirty rotten sinner.

Something within God changed from approval to disapproval.

Which is a judgment call, not a "change." God blesses obedience and God also punishes disobedience. Neither requires God changing His mind, heart, word, purposes, or will.

This observation seems to stand on its own, but how in the face of "God does not change". Either (1) God changed to be "sorry" or (2) He was "sorry" from eternity past.

What evidence do you present to teach that God was not sorry about sin and death before He created all things? Both you and Muz are assuming the fall of Adam surprised God somehow. God provided the remedy for the fall of man before God created man:

"Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame . . ." Ephesians 1:4

God foresaw all of mankind as sinners; having prescient knowledge of all things future in time. God chose some sinners to be justified from this natural condition and declared legally holy and blameless through the imputation of the righteousness of the Son . . .before He created them.

Those who deny God this divine attribute of prescience are naturally confused and attempt to explain things according to human emotions rather than Godly essence.

Which is it? We can't have it both ways.

That's right. There are not two ways.

I say God does not change. You say God changes whenever His creatures change.

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, btw; this really baffles me within the context of Calvinistic thinking.

I really do not know why you are baffled. Calvinists believe in an absolutely sovereign God, who rules His creation according to full omniscience, and omnipotence.

If you are baffled, it is because you are denying God possesses these divine attributes. I have observed that the OV view is premised more on denials, than upon acquiescence to revealed biblical truths. OVT'ers deny and deny and deny most doctrines historically taught by faithful Christians.

Maybe that is why you fellas haven't yet produced a Statement of Faith. It is hard to call denials, "faith."

Nang

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The primary argument I present to you, at this point, is that God is Sovereign Creator, Lord, and Savior.
You never made an argument!

You start a post with this promising sentence and then you never presented an argument! :bang:

That means that all things that exist were made by Him (revealing omnipotence),
Agreed!

...through Him (omnipresence)
This makes no sense. How does everything being made through God equate to omnipresence?

...and for Him (omniscience).
Again this makes no sense. How does everything being created for Him equate to omniscience?

"For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist." Colossians 1:16&17
Great verse! It says nothing at all about predestination or God controlling every event in the history of history. You are reading your theology into the text.

God rules His creation and heavenly realm as Sovereign King. It is access to this Kingdom of God that the Son of God has provided for an elect humanity.
Agreed!

"For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father." Ephesians 2:18
Terrific verse but it says nothing at all about any distinctively Calvinist doctrine.

Sovereign God chooses who will inhabit and serve in His kingdom; not the servants.

"The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of His mouth." Acts 22:14
Amen!

One would think that by now you will have at least begun an argument.

"Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him, in love having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, accordint to thegood pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:4-6
Amen! One of my favorite passages of Scripture!

Once again, this verse says nothing at all about any distinctively Calvinist doctrine! You are reading your doctrine into the text!

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." Acts 13:48[/B]
Behold the power of proof-texting! When you bring your doctrine to the Bible you see it implied everywhere! This sort of thing reminds me of watching Christian television where some lunatic spends half an hour spouting one proof text after another "proving" that the power of our words creates the reality of our lives, but only if we send the lunatic our money!

Thus, my belief in the full sovereignty of God rules out the notion of sinful men possessing "free" wills.
Nothing you've presented even makes an argument for what you consider to be "the full sovereignty of God", Nang!

Is this really what you consider to be a solid biblical argument? You've got to be kidding me!

Such a notion was the initial lie of Satan to man in the garden, which has been perpetuated throughout the history of this world.
This is so incredibly stupid! You've been infected with Jim Hilston's nonsense!

Besides, you believe the lie of Satan had its genesis in the mind of God anyway, that Satan could never have tempted anyone if God had not ordained him to do so and no one would have fallen to his temptation unless God had ordained that too.

I suppose you believe that God predestined you to make a complete laughing stock of yourself with this absolute joke of a post that was supposed to be some sort of argument of some kind.

Humanity at large is held in bondage to this lie; refusing to submit to or acknowledge the wisdom of the will of God and thereby worship God as their Sovereign in all matters of life and death.
If so it is only because God predestined it to be that way, right?

Any comments?

Nang
I give you an A for effort but there's nothing here of substance. And I really do believe you made a real effort or else I would have ignored this post altogether. But there just wasn't an argument here. You basically just stated your theology and threw out a hand full of proof texts, most of which I could have used as proof texts for my theology!

If you want to try again, I'll promise to give it a read.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You never made an argument!

You start a post with this promising sentence and then you never presented an argument!

You never fail to disappoint, Clete. This post most perfectly exemplifies your M.O.

My "promising sentence" was the premise of my argument, and the Scriptures I presented supported my premise, and the rest of my post consisted of my conclusions from my premise and Holy Scriptures.

Now, the next thing that is supposed to happen with a normal debate partner, is for them (i.e. you) to either challenge or concede my premise, and conclusions.

But you know what . . . we are having a big barbecue with several of our dearest friends tomorrow (Yes! We have friends!), to celebrate the beautiful new house the Lord provided us in our old age. Which means I must thoroughly clean it once again and do some major cooking and hubby must do all the outside landscaping details, etc.

So this kind of negative bickering will not be on my agenda for tonight or tomorrow. I tell you this just to prevent you from posting that I have conceded to your non-argument in any way, shape, or form . . .which is also your M.O.

Meanwhile, you might want to ponder whether or how to answer my argument that God's sovereignty means He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, instead of continuing to simply answer with questions (which is an avoidance of logical reasoning) and throwing out blanket denials of my presentation.

At least that would be the intelligent and adult thing to do. . .

Nothing you've presented even makes an argument for what you consider to be "the full sovereignty of God", Nang!

Well, don't just yell and say so . . . tell me why! Present a counter-argument, and not just a screaming ad hominem denial, for once in your life!

I will check back with you after my party . . .

Nang

LightSon

If you are baffled, it is because you are denying God possesses these divine attributes. I have observed that the OV view is premised more on denials, than upon acquiescence to revealed biblical truths. OVT'ers deny and deny and deny most doctrines historically taught by faithful Christians.
I deny no such thing! Nang, you erroneously presume I am OV; I am not. I'm baffled because neither Calvinism in its purest form nor OVT, as models, have been confirmed to me with the light and knowledge God has given my pea brain to work with. I'm studying the matter, trying to keep an open mind, checking the scriptures to determine if these things are so, allowing folks like you and Clete to make your best case. If this is an example of your willingness to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions, what does this communicate to me about the thoroughness and validity of your doctrinal arguments? If you made an error in judgment about me, I'm quick to forgive and forget, and perhaps give you some credibility points back.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I deny no such thing! Nang, you erroneously presume I am OV; I am not. I'm baffled because neither Calvinism in its purest form nor OVT, as models, have been confirmed to me with the light and knowledge God has given my pea brain to work with. I'm studying the matter, trying to keep an open mind, checking the scriptures to determine if these things are so, allowing folks like you and Clete to make your best case. If this is an example of your willingness to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions, what does this communicate to me about the thoroughness and validity of your doctrinal arguments? If you made an error in judgment about me, I'm quick to forgive and forget, and perhaps give you some credibility points back.

Yeah, sure.

I was born in 1940, not yesterday . . .

Nang

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You never fail to disappoint, Clete. This post most perfectly exemplifies your M.O.

My "promising sentence" was the premise of my argument, and the Scriptures I presented supported my premise, and the rest of my post consisted of my conclusions from my premise and Holy Scriptures.
A single premise does not an argument make, Nang!

It wasn't even a premise! It was merely a claim! You did exactly what I said you did. You stated your position and then tried to proof text me to death mostly with Scriptures that I could have used as my own proof texts!

Now, the next thing that is supposed to happen with a normal debate partner, is for them (i.e. you) to either challenge or concede my premise, and conclusions.
There were neither! Stating one's position is not an argument, Nang!

And besides, I asked you specific questions relating to the portion of those claims that seemed to be just pulled out of thin air.

But you know what . . . we are having a big barbecue with several of our dearest friends tomorrow (Yes! We have friends!), to celebrate the beautiful new house the Lord provided us in our old age. Which means I must thoroughly clean it once again and do some major cooking and hubby must do all the outside landscaping details, etc.
Hopefully God has predestined you to have a good holiday.

So this kind of negative bickering will not be on my agenda for tonight or tomorrow.
I very intentionally was not bickering. This reaction from you, which is entirely typical, is the real reason you and I are and will remain enemies. To my knowledge you've never once actually engaged the debate. The only reason you're here is to bicker.

I tell you this just to prevent you from posting that I have conceded to your non-argument in any way, shape, or form . . .which is also your M.O.
I only make a claim concerning a concession when such claims are warranted and they are almost always accompanied with an explanation as to why the point concedes the question being debated.

Meanwhile, you might want to ponder whether or how to answer my argument that God's sovereignty means He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, instead of continuing to simply answer with questions (which is an avoidance of logical reasoning) and throwing out blanket denials of my presentation.
You very simply made no such argument. Nothing you quoted said a single word about God's omnipresence or omniscience and His sovereignty is not disputed. What is disputed is your definition of the word 'sovereign' which is not only irrational, it has no basis in Scripture or in common parlance. The word very simply does not mean "absolute meticulous control" as the Calvinist claims and nothing you presented says otherwise.

At least that would be the intelligent and adult thing to do. . .
Every word I say or don't say was predestined by your god though, right?
So what I "might want to do" and what would be the intelligent and adult thing to do is rather irrelevant, isn't it?

Don't you just love it when the Calvinist speaks like an Open Theist?! :chuckle:

They do it all day, every day and don't even notice it!

Well, don't just yell and say so . . . tell me why! Present a counter-argument, and not just a screaming ad hominem denial, for once in your life!
Now, don't get started with lying again, Nang. You know full well that when you came here I gave you more slack than you deserved. You came here for the specific purpose of harassing me and my initial reaction was basically to beg you to engage the argument which you never did. I gave you chance after chance after chance. You chose to make me an enemy. Live with it or leave.

I will check back with you after my party . . .

Nang
Make the argument, Nang!

Pretend that you've been asked to make a presentation in front of 500 college students making the case for the Calvinist worldview. You claim to hold to Sola Scriptura, right? So convince me from Scripture that Calvin's version of God is true! You don't have to prove the entire theological system, just pick some Calvinist distinctive and ESTABLISH it biblical and/or rationally. That's going to take more than simply stating a doctrine and then throwing in a dash of proof-texts and a pinch of emphatic dogmatism. Pretend your child was in the audience and that his eternal soul was hanging in the balance and his acceptance or rejection of Calvinism (and therefore, in your view, the gospel itself) would hinge on the strength of your argument. I mean really pull out all the stops here, Nang! Make an argument like the life of your children depended on it.

If you do that, I'll respond with gladness. If you do not, you'll go back on my ignore list.

YOU CHOOSE!

Resting in Him,
Clete

LightSon

Yeah, sure . . .

Bah to your obvious phoniness.

Nang

I simply tried to correct your error in judgment in viewing me as OT and drawing false conclusions, and now you've dug yourself a deeper hole. I have no idea why you think I'm being false. All I can conclude is that you cannot swallow your pride and admit a mistake, and for that I am truly sad.

You can be thankful that I won't hold Calvinism responsible for your bitter spirit. Clete does not win by default however; I'll have to wait for a Spirit-led Calvinist to make the case, someone whose judgment is not clouded with self.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lightson: You were away for '2.6 years'? Are you an accountant or mathematician (who says 2.6 years unless you are talking about light-years from the earth)?

Welcome back. I appreciate your heart and mind.

Lon

muz makes a fair point.

If at one point God declared His creation good, and then at some future point was found to be "sorry", then something changed. Something within God changed from approval to disapproval. This observation seems to stand on its own, but how in the face of "God does not change". Either (1) God changed to be "sorry" or (2) He was "sorry" from eternity past. Which is it? it has to be one or the other.

The change here is in line with man's actions.

He hasn't changed, when He created, it was good and right. It is the result of man's actions that brings grief which is opposed to His initial creation.

When your child is behaving, you are pleased. When he/she is misbehaving you are bothered. Your emotional state has changed, but your views on the actions did not. You would always be angry about the misbehavior and pleased with the appropriate. Your character has not changed, nor the way you handle different situations. You'd be a consistent father in that respect (at least for illustration purposes here) and this is similar to God's unchanging nature (character).

I have real problems with some translation work like "God changed His mind."
His mind is the same about righteousness and sin as it has always been and has not changed. Most OVer's would agree with the majority of this sentiment and understand the problem with using the colloquial "...changed one's mind."

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God is personal, so can and does change His mind, but always consistent with His unchanging character. To not be able to change in response to changing contingencies compromises character and personality.

LightSon

Lightson: You were away for '2.6 years'? Are you an accountant or mathematician (who says 2.6 years unless you are talking about light-years from the earth)?

Welcome back. I appreciate your heart and mind.
Thanks 'rulz. Your encouragement is appreciated; may the Lord be magnified.

When I came back, I saw TOL's "last login date" and yes, being a programmer with a math background I did the calculation. I am an egghead with a penchant for accuracy; I confess. Did you ever watch Star Trek TOS? Some random navigator reports to Spock that a planet is 12 light years away. He responds, "11.937 light years ensign, please endeavor to be more accurate". I always loved that line.

LightSon

Your emotional state has changed, but your views on the actions did not.

Thanks Lon. So we can agree that God's emotional state changed. My approach has been to set this assertion against Malachi 3:6 which says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..."

Those who believe in God's immutability, as I do, will tend to have differing opinions as to the scope of that unchangeability. Some would point to his emotions changing as proof that God changes. This would be a contradiction within the context of Malachi 3:6. I hold that scripture has no contradictions, so a qualified understanding is required to harmonize the text. I tend to agree with your approach. Another example: God can be grieved. Grieving is an emotion, and unless we want to argue that God is always grieving, this must signal a change of emotion.

I'm just trying to understand for myself the boundaries for God's immutability. Open Theists seem to push the boundaries far to the left, asserting freely and without qualification that God does change and grow, an assertion that causes me a measure of discomfort.

Sharri

The Calvinist is saying that and a lot more. Calvinism (and all other Augustinian theologies) teach that God predestined every event in the history of history. They believe and teach that every single event that happens, every orbit of every electron, the precise position and condition of every speck of dirt, every murder, every rape and every act of loving kindness and all the other events that have happened or will ever happen were all arbitrarily and absolutely determined by God before time began. If there is a booger on your lip its because God predestined that it would be there eons before the first eon began.

And just never mind about how saying "BEFORE time began" is self-contradictory. They don't care about that sort of detail. Just chalk it up as an antinomy and forget about it. After all, turning your brain off is the very definition of faith, isn't it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Can you tell me how the OT view Psalm 139 (2 verses below)? Did God prophesised his own creation?

15 My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colors] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery].

16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Thanks Lon. So we can agree that God's emotional state changed. My approach has been to set this assertion against Malachi 3:6 which says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..."

Those who believe in God's immutability, as I do, will tend to have differing opinions as to the scope of that unchangeability. Some would point to his emotions changing as proof that God changes. This would be a contradiction within the context of Malachi 3:6. I hold that scripture has no contradictions, so a qualified understanding is required to harmonize the text. I tend to agree with your approach. Another example: God can be grieved. Grieving is an emotion, and unless we want to argue that God is always grieving, this must signal a change of emotion.

I'm just trying to understand for myself the boundaries for God's immutability. Open Theists seem to push the boundaries far to the left, asserting freely and without qualification that God does change and grow, an assertion that causes me a measure of discomfort.

Theologians talk about strong and weak immutability. Strong immutability is classical theology unduly influenced by Platonic ideas of perfection. Even traditional theologians are moving to weak immutability recognizing that the Bible reveals God as unchanging in character and attributes, but potentially changing in knowledge, relationships, decisions, judgments, etc., consistent with His character.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Can you tell me how the OT view Psalm 139 (2 verses below)? Did God prophesised his own creation?

15 My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colors] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery].

16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.

This is poetic, not didactic, in scope. The first verse is about perfect past and present knowledge, which OT affirms. It cannot be extrapolated to support exhaustive definite foreknowledge of future free will contingencies.

The last verse has some Hebrew variations in translation. In a blueprint, Calvinistic model, it is seen as deterministic. In light of other relevant verses, it describes God's intentions and desires, not a fatalistically fixed future that reduces us to automatons. We are not coerced to walk in the ways God desires us to. Clearly, Hitler's days or any fallen preacher's days are contrary to God's will, not following a divine blueprint we cannot deviate from.

Gregory Boyd (OT) has a book coming out on the myth of the blueprint. He also deals with this proof text in his books on OT.

http://www.christusvictorministries.org/oldsite/gbfront/indexf180.html?PageID=458

Here is a plausible, if not probable, alternate explanation to a decretal, deterministic view, foisted on the text (vs exegesis). What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.