ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

Philetus said:
And thanks, Philetus, for your neg rep calling me a butt.

That was really grown-up, impressive, and indicative of the depths of your Christian faith. :noid:

Nang

I didn't call you a butt, I said yours is the only one showing on this thread; indicative of your inability to read and your eagerness to display your private side of posting.

You are nuts, and if I didn't get the 'spread it around' thing, I would have neg-reped you for the above ... which would have been maybe my third or fourth neg-rep in the past year and a half. You do have a way.

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Psalm 139 clearly refutes ov as unscriptural.

"Yahweh you examine me and know me,
you know if I am standing or sitting,
you read my thoughts from far away,
whether I walk or lie down, you are watching,
you know every detail of my conduct."

(The above passage shows exhaustive knowledge.)

"The word is not even on my tongue,
Yahweh, before you know all about it.
(This passage show foreknowledge and with passage above it is exhaustive foreknowledge).

Such knowledge is beyond my understanding,
a height at which my mind cannot attend.

(Just because human reason doesn't understand it does not mean it isn't true).

You have scrutinized my every action,
all were recorded in your book,
my days listed and determined
EVEN BEFORE the first of them occured.

This passage and psalm CLEARLY refutes ov.

There is no use saying that we must read the psalm in light of Scripture as the psalm is a song/prayer to God. If anything it summerizes the Old Testament view on omniscience of God.

themuzicman

LOL.. first you have to consider the genre of the Psalms. They are poetry. Poetry uses hyperbole and symbolic language to communicate truth. They weren't intended to be read as direct doctrine, but understood in the emotional impact it conveys.

So, a plain reading of the Psalms, given their intent, doesn't refute OVT at all.

Second, OVT claims "exhaustive knowledge". It just doesn't claim exhaustive definite foreknowledge of every moment of the future, which it defines as unknowable.

The last objection, when you read a modern translation, seems to refer to God's will and desire for the author's life, not the predetermination of everything the author does.

Nice try, tho.

Muz

baloney

BANNED
Banned
PPUUULLLEAse!

The language is as direct as it gets. All the psalms do is pull verses or concepts from Scripture and define them in prayer to God. This is a prayer to God's omniscience.

The words are plain for anyone to see.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Psalm 139 clearly refutes ov as unscriptural.

"Yahweh you examine me and know me,
you know if I am standing or sitting,
you read my thoughts from far away,
whether I walk or lie down, you are watching,
you know every detail of my conduct."

(The above passage shows exhaustive knowledge.)

"The word is not even on my tongue,
Yahweh, before you know all about it.
(This passage show foreknowledge and with passage above it is exhaustive foreknowledge).

Such knowledge is beyond my understanding,
a height at which my mind cannot attend.

(Just because human reason doesn't understand it does not mean it isn't true).

You have scrutinized my every action,
all were recorded in your book,
my days listed and determined
EVEN BEFORE the first of them occured.

This passage and psalm CLEARLY refutes ov.

There is no use saying that we must read the psalm in light of Scripture as the psalm is a song/prayer to God. If anything it summerizes the Old Testament view on omniscience of God.
:yawn:

themuzicman

PPUUULLLEAse!

The language is as direct as it gets. All the psalms do is pull verses or concepts from Scripture and define them in prayer to God. This is a prayer to God's omniscience.

The words are plain for anyone to see.

The words are also clearly understood by those who understand the genre of poetry, and how it is properly understood.

You're imposing what you want the text to read upon a genre that doesn't support your assertions.

Sorry.

Muz

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Muz, its not poetry or metaphor or a parable. There are no symbols there for poetry to work on. It is simply summerizing what Job and other books have said about God's omniscience.

As for imposing on text, ov advocates read the most obscure meaning into their texts.

themuzicman

Umm.. Psalms are poetry. All of them.

Ps 138:6 For though the Lord is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly, But the haughty He knows from afar.​

Is God literally "afar" from the haughty? Of course not. This is symbolic language.

Psalm 128:1 How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, Who walks in His ways. 2 When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, You will be happy and it will be well with you. 3 Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine Within your house, Your children like olive plants Around your table.​

Is this direct doctrine? Does everyone who fears the Lord have a fruitful wife? Does everyone who fears the Lord have children like olive plants?

OF course not. Psalms aren't direct doctrine. They are poetry. You don't need to read far to find many examples of statements that, if not taken poetically, just aren't true, as we see here.

(There are plenty of other examples, here.)

Thus, your error is one of improper hermeneutics.

The Psalmist IS speaking of God's greatness and God's influence in his life, but isn't intending to make a statement on exhaustive definite foreknowledge, as you claim.

Muz

Philetus

First, you could drop the anti-Calvinist vitriol. I know you think yourself clever and seek to puff yourself up with these needless asides, but the pride you are feeding only diminishes you in God's eyes as we discuss His holy and sacred attributes.

No I really couldn't. I have honestly tried. I'm not clever and don't think more highly of myself than I ought. And thank you again for telling me how God sees me. (Another Calvinistic 'secret' known only to you?) Your whole theology likes to tell people how diminished they are in God's eyes. So I really can't drop the anti-Calvinist vitriol ... I simply hate Calvinism (probably as much as you hate Open Theism) ... and I'm not at all sorry that offends you or ruffles your feathers anymore than I am that my style (or lack of it) is different than yours. You can continue to ignore me and pretend it doesn't, or you can deal with the challenge to your position. I don't like your smugness ... but I don't let it keep me from the exchange.

Second, I do not hold that God's creatures are "free creatures" as the term "free" is commonly defined by open theists. But that is another topic discussed at length elsewhere. Third, I am not denying that God relates with His creatures. The issue is that you assert that God's relations with His creatures somehow changes God. This I deny. There is no biblical support for your unsupported assertion above and much (that I have cited in many posts) to support my position that God does not change.

Your whole system depends on redefining simple words.
Deny denying it all you want. God hears and responds and adjusts. God often changes His short term plans in response to humans. It's that simple.

God's creatures are dependent upon Him, but God is not dependent on His creatures. God knows about the relationship of dependence; therefore when there is change in the creature's dependence on God, there is no change in God. Just as when a person changes his position from one side of a pillar to the other, the pillar does not change; only the person changes in relation to the pillar. So while the relationship between God and creatures is real, God is in no sense dependent on that relationship.

Yes, BUT!
The freedom that God has given creatures requires that God (as dynamic Persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit) respond to their free choices. Agreed, that doesn't change WHO God is but it sometimes changes what God does and doesn't do WITHOUT changing God's ultimate goal for creation. One variable that remains for many is whether they will or won't respond to the grace of God in His offer of salvation. Nang and you have made it quite clear that you think that issue was settled in Adam, and that God has already decided for every human being. That's the essential difference in our views.

I'm convinced that God has created an environment that will sustain physical life (for a limited time at least) without any further involvement or control on His part. We call it earth. Of course we are dependent on God for every breath … He PROVIDED the air we breath. In fact, God has given us everything we need to live. But, we also have the freedom to not continue breathing if we so choose. It’s called suicide. We also have the freedom, ability and the help of Holy Spirit to not only continue breathing, but also respond to God, repent and live. God has PROVIDED everything we need to live forever and continues to make provision by preparing a place for us and preparing us for that place. To reject His provision is self-destruction. To accept that provision is to live by grace through faith.

It is far different to say, “If you sin, I will kill you.” And say, “If you sin, you will die.”

God isn't a 'pillar' we relate to; God is a Person who relates to and with us.

Please see the latter paragraphs of my post here for more elaboration on this topic.
This one? Emphasis mine.
AMR:

You are applying your preconceptions of Greek concepts to my words. Separate your bias towards Calvinism from what I am writing. In Greek thought immutability of “god” meant not only unchangeability but also the ability to be affected by anything in any way, i.e., the unmoved mover. The Greek word for this primary characteristic of “god” was apatheia, from which we get our word “apathy”. Apathy means indifference, but the Greek term goes far beyond that idea. It means the inability to feel any emotion whatsoever. The Greeks believed “god” possessed this quality because we would otherwise have power over him to the degree that we could move him to anger or joy or grief. He would cease to be absolute and sovereign. Thus the “god” of the philosophers was lonely, isolated, and compassionless. This all makes for good, logical, philosophy, but it is not what God reveals about Himself in the Scriptures and we must reject it. The Scriptures tell us that God is indeed immutable, but that He nevertheless notices and is affected by the obedience, plight or sin of His creatures. Why else, then, would Christ have wept at the tomb of Lazarus?

God is always the same in His eternal being. In other words, God never differs from Himself. For a moral being like ourselves to change means that it is necessary to change in one of two directions- from better to worse, or from worse to better. Clearly God cannot change in these directions. As I noted in a previous post, immutability also applies to God’s attributes, to which you have agreed. I have never stated that God’s emotions change. I stated: God does act and feel emotions, and He acts and feels differently in response to different situations. God’s attitudes towards us is the same as it was in the farthest reaches of eternity past and will be in the farthest reaches of eternity to come. God has feelings—but they are unchanging feelings. God feels good about our being good, bad about our being bad. God does not change when we repent—He always feels the same about the same. When we change, God does not change. We simply move under another unchangeable attribute of God. For example, God feels bad about our badness; when we change, God feels good about our new state of being good. God experiences feelings as I have noted, but not in the way we experience them. God experiences them in accordance with His own nature—in an active, eternal, and unchangeable way.

Sorry AMR. You are just not as cleaver as you think you are. There is no separating our 'bias toward Calvinism' from what you are saying. You are right: in Calvinism there is no freedom. You really have described god as a post we dance around at his behest when the scripture clearly describes Him as the God who goes to the cross for others and draws us to Himself.

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Muz the words explain themselves. If the lord is exalted, obviously the psalm refers to afar as distant from his supreme being.

Obviously fruitful as in bearing children and children numerous LIKE an olive.

The passage in psalm 139 "my days listed and determined even before the first of them occured" has no analagous language whatso ever.

You find the same kind of terminology all through the Old Testament and your verses tghat you try to defend OV with.

You want us to totally ignore this psalm. I'll give you a chance. Explain to us what the passages in the psalm refers to and I'll refute your arguments.

If you had it your way, we wouldn't be able to read anything into Scripture at all.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Umm.. Psalms are poetry. All of them.

They are inspired poetry, then, and verified doctrinally by the Lord Jesus Christ when He said the Psalms all teach concerning Him. (Luke 24:44)

"Man shall live by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God," and the Psalms proceed from the Spirit of God without a doubt. If the Psalms were not Holy Scripture, meant to edify the saints, they would not be in our Bibles.

Ps 138:6 For though the Lord is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly, But the haughty He knows from afar.​

The "haughty" exist outside of Christ.

Is God literally "afar" from the haughty? Of course not. This is symbolic language.

No it isn't. Every single soul is either existing for a temporal time, outside of Christ and outside of God's favor, due to sinfulness . . .or one has been redeemed and positioned spiritually IN Christ, due to grace. The "haughty" are the proud of this world, who love and practice lies. (See that they are "afar" from the Lord in Rev. 22:15)

Psalm 128:1 How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, Who walks in His ways. 2 When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, You will be happy and it will be well with you. 3 Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine Within your house, Your children like olive plants Around your table.​

Is this direct doctrine? Does everyone who fears the Lord have a fruitful wife? Does everyone who fears the Lord have children like olive plants?

These promises apply to God's Covenant children, and yes, this is predominantly the blessed state of Christian marriages. Maybe you do not know too many Covenant saints? Or you would not question this Scripture.

OF course not. Psalms aren't direct doctrine. They are poetry. You don't need to read far to find many examples of statements that, if not taken poetically, just aren't true, as we see here.

(There are plenty of other examples, here.)

Thus, your error is one of improper hermeneutics.

The Psalmist IS speaking of God's greatness and God's influence in his life, but isn't intending to make a statement on exhaustive definite foreknowledge, as you claim.

Muz

You seriously, err, Muz. You are attempting to take away from the inspired Word of God, and there is severe warning against doing so. The Psalms teach about the Savior. Can't get more doctrinal than that. The lyrical poetry is just form, that contains great substance . . .just as the Song of Solomon describes Christ's relationship with His Church, so the Psalms reveal the Person of Jesus Christ and all His attributes.

You are robbing yourself if you do not read the Psalms to learn the essence of the Triune God, and you rob others of great blessing, by down-playing Scripture just because it opposes your theories and presuppositions.

Nang

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I believe that God's character does not, and will not change. But His mind can change. And He can learn new things, and create new things.

I also believe that He could change the things that will not change, if He so chose. However, I believe that He has the ability to not change them, i.e. He is not unable to sin, He is able to not sin.

I believe in omnipotence over immutability. However I do not believe He is omnipotent in that He can do things that just cannot be done, i.e. knowing something that does not exist to be known.

I concur, but it does not fully explain how omnipotence and absolute immutability are incompatible. I think Mr. Religion thinks there is a loop hole to affirm both. If we say God's character does not change, then His unchanging attribute of omnipotence could be compatible. Omnipotence when exercised does seem to introduce change in circumstances, but does not make God more or less changed per se.

Perhaps semantics will keep us from debating your question properly (I side with you, I think).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes.

Also, is God omnipotent enough to perform His will, without having to have exhaustive foreknowledge of future, yet to be, events?

i.e. God is omnicompetent, not omnicausal. Exhaustive foreknowledge is not necessary if one has ability and intelligence to respond to any unknown contingency. The settled view wrongly looks at God through human eyes and attributes limitations to His ability and a need to control and know in order to not be 'surprised' or to know what to do. The Open View is more faithful to Scripture and exalting of God's greatness (free from philosophical assumptions).

themuzicman

They are inspired poetry, then, and verified doctrinally by the Lord Jesus Christ when He said the Psalms all teach concerning Him. (Luke 24:44)

I didn't say it was uninspired. It just said that the genre was poetry, and should be understood in that context.

"Man shall live by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God," and the Psalms proceed from the Spirit of God without a doubt. If the Psalms were not Holy Scripture, meant to edify the saints, they would not be in our Bibles.

Never denied any of that. But we do have to read Scripture as it was intended to be read and in the genre it was written.

The "haughty" exist outside of Christ.

So, "afar" symbolizes "outside".. you sure this isn't direct doctrine?

No it isn't. Every single soul is either existing for a temporal time, outside of Christ and outside of God's favor, due to sinfulness . . .or one has been redeemed and positioned spiritually IN Christ, due to grace. The "haughty" are the proud of this world, who love and practice lies. (See that they are "afar" from the Lord in Rev. 22:15)

Symbolically. If we were to take this literally, there would have to be some literal, physical distance between the haughty and God.

These promises apply to God's Covenant children, and yes, this is predominantly the blessed state of Christian marriages. Maybe you do not know too many Covenant saints? Or you would not question this Scripture.

So, if we see a couple who does not have children, then they must not be saved?

You seriously, err, Muz. You are attempting to take away from the inspired Word of God, and there is severe warning against doing so. The Psalms teach about the Savior. Can't get more doctrinal than that. The lyrical poetry is just form, that contains great substance . . .just as the Song of Solomon describes Christ's relationship with His Church, so the Psalms reveal the Person of Jesus Christ and all His attributes.

They also communicate in a particular genre. To be honest, any devoutly Christian couple who is unable to have children should be deeply offended at your interpretation of the previous verse, and rightly so.

Answer me this: Is Jesus a worm? (See Psalm 22)

The fact that various parts of the bible have different genres which are interpreted in the way that genre intends to mean isn't a new idea. Ever read Proverbs? Do you condemn parents who have children that have gone astray as not having raised them in the way they should go?

You are robbing yourself if you do not read the Psalms to learn the essence of the Triune God, and you rob others of great blessing, by down-playing Scripture just because it opposes your theories and presuppositions.

Nang

I haven't played down anything. I'm simply saying that we need to read the Psalms as God intends for us to read the Psalms, and that is as the genre of Poetry. If that were not the case, Psalms wouldn't BE poetry.

Muz

Status
Not open for further replies.