ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApologeticJedi

spaz said:
I told you that you cannot separate the group from the individuals who compose it

Irseal was elected... but that does not mean that all who were Isrealites were Isrealites indeed. In fact, most of God's elect in the Bible wind up in hell.

spaz said:
If OT says God id all knowing,

Not really. The Bible commends that God knows so much more than we could understand ... but it never really says "all knowing".

spaz said:
Your corporate elect is not mentioned in Scripture and is similar to the Arian mistake of saying Christ was more than man but less than God because it didn't fit Arian reasoning.

Corporate election is mentioned at great length in the Bible. Israel is chosen as an "elect" nation. A child born in Isreal was coporately elected as a member of God's chosen people. He was required to follow all the Mosaic laws, even the ones foreigners did not have to (circumcision for instance). He did so because he was "set apart". None-the-less, his election did not guarentee his place in heaven or hell. Individually he had to make his own choices.

After Israel, Paul talks about "Israel" being cut off. That didn't mean that Paul or Peter had been cut off, but it was again an issue of corporate election. The Gentiles were then grafted in. Again, that does not mean that all Gentiles will now be saved and the Jews cannot - but it is yet another example of corporate election.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God did not elect Joe and non-elect Fred. He does not elect mom and dad, but non-elect one sister and elect the brother. This makes His love arbitrary vs impartial. It does not say Billy Graham was elect from eternity past, and Hitler was not elected in eternity past. Their choices in this life (faith vs unbelief) determined whether they would be part of the corporate elect or not.

It should also be remembered that election involved service and mission, not individual salvation, per se. Just because individuals make up the group does not mean that they were foreknown or chosen individually. e.g. a class is being taught...the class was predestined to happen...all individuals who pay, register, attend, and write exams are part of the destiny of the class to earn credits and learn; those who do not register, pay, keep attending, or write exams will not share the destiny of the class. They were intended to be part of it, but a variety of circumstances keep some from continuing with that destiny.

spaz

BANNED
Banned
You guys all this means nothing. Open theism is a new movement that only a handful of deluded people believe. The mainline Christians no it is wriong and understand Scripture to mean the opposite for two thousand years.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Even when God thinks or says something will happen, it may not happen under the law of freedom.

“God said ‘She will return to Me!’ But she did not return” Jer 3:7 And I said, after she had done all these things, ‘Return to Me.’ But she did not return.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
When God saw the extreme wickedness of man, He was sorry He had made him.

In fact, He repented that He had made him.

Gen 6:5-7 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The application of certain passages in God's Word clears up problems.

The future actions of men under the law of freedom, that we have, are unknowable.

There are some things God does not know before hand.

Gen 22:12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.

Now I know !!

In Christ,
Bob Hill

ApologeticJedi

spaz said:
You guys all this means nothing. Open theism is a new movement that only a handful of deluded people believe. The mainline Christians no it is wriong and understand Scripture to mean the opposite for two thousand years.

That brings up an interesting discussion. Has all the wisdom in the Bible been previously sucked out such that anything "new" is automatically wrong? How much wisdom has God put in the Bible? Is it possible that man has exhausted the wisdom and knowledge that God stuffed into His word?

Certainly any new beliefs should be challenged and tested before you hold to. We should be like the Bereans that searched the scriptures to see if it was true.

Likewise, is it possible that Christians can get so carried away with one idea that it draws the entire church slightly astray for a thousand years or more? How about with the apocrypha, or with the incorporation of the Pheonix into Christianity, or with indulgences? It has been observed that the Settled view is very close to the pagan concepts of Manichaeism or Fatalism. Is it okay to question even long-time held beliefs to see if the church ever went too far in structuring Christianity to look like pagan concepts such that they abandoned the real message of the Bible in doing so?

What I have found is that older beliefs are generally more reliable than the new, but not always so. You can't just dismiss a belief with an argumentum ad antiquitatem, or with an appeal to novelty. You have to know how to look beyond these bad arguments to get to the truth.

Philetus

spaz said:
I told you that you cannot separate the group from the individuals who compose it and Paul mentions that an elect few will reach destination and be saved and the means specific individuals.

If OT says God id all knowing, all powerful and limitless, then he cannot be limited by foreknowledge.

Your corporate elect is not mentioned in Scripture and is similar to the Arian mistake of saying Christ was more than man but less than God because it didn't fit Arian reasoning.

It dosn't fit scripture?

I have predetermined that I will host a party. I have sent out 100 invitations with R.S.V.P. requests enclosed. I have predestined that every one who attends will be 'guests'. So far I have received 50 responses saying they will attend. I don't know about the other 50 ... yet.
They still have 10 days to respond. There will be a party. (unless I die) There will be guests. (about 75 to date, because some of them might die) There could be more.
If they don't show up, I will go out into the alleys and invite the poor. There will be guests (corporate elect) at my party. I just don’t know yet exactly (individual) who they will be.

Philetus

PS Bring expensive gifts!

Philetus

spaz said:

Is your position 2000 years old?

aristides

Well, I'm new to TOL, but I have a question for any supporters of Open Theism. Just throwing this out there, and I'm sure you've heard the question before, but how does Open Theism explain the phenomenon of prophecy?

For example, Jacob and Esau. How could God say to Isaac that Esau would serve Jacob if He really does not know the future? What's to say that Jacob would not end up in service to his older brother, or at least materially inferior, as Esau should have inherited the majority of his father's wealth? Even further, what's to say that Jacob wouldn't have been tragically killed as a child or decided to commit suicide? What would have come of God's prophecy then?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
aristides said:
Well, I'm new to TOL, but I have a question for any supporters of Open Theism. Just throwing this out there, and I'm sure you've heard the question before, but how does Open Theism explain the phenomenon of prophecy?
God works through, around, with and in spite of people to bring certain things to pass that He wants to bring to pass and does so without having to know every detail of the future in advance. God is better at getting things done than most Christians are willing to accept.

The better question is how does a person who holds to the settled view explain prophecy that did not come to pass as stated.

For example, Jacob and Esau. How could God say to Isaac that Esau would serve Jacob if He really does not know the future?
The older son never served the younger and thus the prophecy had to do with the nations which proceeded from the two boys and not the boys themselves. God can direct the destinies of nations without effecting the free will of any individual persons and without needing to sneak a peak into the future to know that it would happen.

What's to say that Jacob would not end up in service to his older brother, or at least materially inferior, as Esau should have inherited the majority of his father's wealth?
The prophecy wasn't about their inheritance but about the two nations which proceeded from them...

Genesis 25:23 And the LORD said to her:

“Two nations are in your womb,
Two peoples shall be separated from your body;
One people shall be stronger than the other,
And the older shall serve the younger.”​

Even further, what's to say that Jacob wouldn't have been tragically killed as a child or decided to commit suicide? What would have come of God's prophecy then?
Well God is able to protect those whom He desires to protect so a tragedy of some sort would be easily avoided but if Jacob had been evil and hated God then the prophecy would not have been fulfilled.

Jeremiah 18:7 The instant I [God] speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will repent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will repent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Welcome to TOL! :thumb:

aristides

Clete said:
God works through, around, with and in spite of people to bring certain things to pass that He wants to bring to pass and does so without having to know every detail of the future in advance. God is better at getting things done than most Christians are willing to accept.

That's interesting. You've made me think, but here's a few more scenarios for you.

What if Adam had killed Eve in his anger over her sin? Where would the human race be then? Would God simply have made another woman for Adam? What if he killed her too?

What about Noah? What if, during his time on the ark he decided it wasn't worth it and decided to sink the boat and kill the remainder of humanity? What if he had just decided never to build the ark in the first place? What if he had joined the rest of humanity in their sinfulness?

What about the Twelve? How about if instead of spreading the gospel after Christ's ascension, they changed their mind and went around telling everyone about how nuts Jesus was, and how He was trying to change the law of Moses?

What if Paul, instead of becoming one of the most important of the apostles, decided to flip God off on that road to Damascus and continue persecuting Christians?

What about Peter's vision? What if he had thought he was hallucinating and decided to throw Cornelius out? Well, I'm not a Jew by birth, and I would be mighty disappointed.

There seems to be just too much. At some point, God has to know that what He is doing will work. He can't simply leave everything up to chance. Certain things must be fixed. What if, instead of crucifying Christ, the Jews loved Him and set Him up at their king? We would all be screwed.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
aristides said:

That's interesting. You've made me think, but here's a few more scenarios for you.

What if Adam had killed Eve in his anger over her sin? Where would the human race be then? Would God simply have made another woman for Adam? What if he killed her too?

I don't mean to be insulting or vulgar here but all I can think of to say is that if a bear didn't live in the woods, he wouldn't crap in them either.

The point being that if such a thing happened then we wouldn't be here and I don’t know what God would have done. Do you believe that God would have been unable to protect Eve had the need arose? Open theism doesn't teach that God is without power to influence and maintain the Earth and those on it to whatever degree is necessary for Him to accomplish that which He has set out to accomplish. The Bible is replete with examples of God influencing His followers and manipulating His enemies, all without having to know the future in advance and all without having to override anyone’s free will.

What about Noah? What if, during his time on the ark he decided it wasn't worth it and decided to sink the boat and kill the remainder of humanity?
God could have prevented him from doing so, if it was even possible in the first place, which I seriously doubt.

What if he had just decided never to build the ark in the first place?
God knew Noah well enough to know that he would do as instructed and if it had not been Noah it would have been someone else. That is to say, God would be able to know when there was but one family left who would obey His commands and whoever that family was He could use in the way He used Noah and his family.

What if he had joined the rest of humanity in their sinfulness?
He had. Noah was not sinless. The Bible says that Noah was perfect in his "generations", that is he was perfect in his genetics or put another way, he was still fully human and his genes had not been defiled by the Nephilim (or “gibborim” the offspring of fallen angels and human women Genesis 6:4).

What about the Twelve? How about if instead of spreading the gospel after Christ's ascension, they changed their mind and went around telling everyone about how nuts Jesus was, and how He was trying to change the law of Moses?
God preserves for Himself a remnant. Had the twelve rebelled they would have been replaced.

What if Paul, instead of becoming one of the most important of the apostles, decided to flip God off on that road to Damascus and continue persecuting Christians?
Then God would have killed him, most likely and used another to preach the Gospel of the Mystery.

What about Peter's vision? What if he had thought he was hallucinating and decided to throw Cornelius out?
Do you think that God is unable to cause a person to know whether they are hallucinating or not? Give me a break will ya? Had Peter rebelled against God, he would have been cut off and replaced.

Well, I'm not a Jew by birth, and I would be mighty disappointed.
As would God have been.

There seems to be just too much. At some point, God has to know that what He is doing will work.
Why?

He can't simply leave everything up to chance.
Open theism does not teach that everything is left up to chance. Please do not over react and reject a sound teaching based on an emotional reaction.

Certain things must be fixed. What if, instead of crucifying Christ, the Jews loved Him and set Him up at their king? We would all be screwed.
No we wouldn't! Good grief man! Think things through just a little. Jesus was the Passover Lamb, right? Did God have to supernaturally force all the Jews to kill their lambs on Passover or did righteous Jews do so out of loving obedience to God's command? Was it not the function of the High Priest to offer sacrifices for the whole nation? In such a scenario as you suggest, there is no reason why God could not have had the High Priest ceremonially sacrifice Christ on the altar in the Holy of Holies. In fact that is precisely what God would have done.

Resting in Him,
Clete

ApologeticJedi

aristides said:

As a follower of the Open View, I'd answer by saying that prophecy is an explanation of what God plans to accomplish. God doesn't have to "look into the future" to make a prophecy, rather he can bring it about. Just as Ali could predict what round he would knock out his opponent without knowing the future.

aristides said:
For example, Jacob and Esau. How could God say to Isaac that Esau would serve Jacob if He really does not know the future?

Esau never really served Jacob... that prophecy is only true on a national level. Of course God gave his favor to Israel and placed him/them into prosperity.

aristides said:
Even further, what's to say that Jacob wouldn't have been tragically killed as a child or decided to commit suicide? What would have come of God's prophecy then?

Had that happened, it would have yet another of a dozen or so prophecies in the Bible that did not happen (similar to not driving out the Canaanites, and Nebecanezer never taking Tyre). Perhaps God would have renamed someone else as "Israel".

ApologeticJedi

aristides said:
There seems to be just too much. At some point, God has to know that what He is doing will work. He can't simply leave everything up to chance. Certain things must be fixed. What if, instead of crucifying Christ, the Jews loved Him and set Him up at their king? We would all be screwed.

What if the Jews loved Jesus?

It is likely that the Romans would have put Jesus to death for usurping their authority (which was probably God's original plan) had the Jews made him their king.

In fact, I don't know that it was originally God's plan that the Jews be as involved as they were in the death of their Messiah. The prophecies stress that the Messiah would be put to death by dogs (Gentiles) not really of Jews. In a sinful world, there is no shortage of people that will hate the light. In fact, I think that the Jewish hatred of their own Messiah was not part of the main plan. That the Jews also hated Jesus, didn't twart God. God was able to use their hatred to bring about His plan anyway. Did God know that the Jews might also hate Jesus? Surely!

God's original plan had called for 70 weeks (490 years) for Israel. After the 69th week, the Messiah would be cut off. Then the last week (7 years) would be the Great Tribulation - but that never completed!! Why didn't the 70th week follow the 69th? Why didn't the Great Tribulation, and the second coming, spoke in the Apocalypse and by Jesus, directly follow the death of Jesus? Why didn't Jesus prophecy come true that those "in this generation" would see the tibulation and the end of the world?

Since the Jews also hated Jesus, God did not fullfill the 70 week prophecy as stated, but cut off the Jews.

spaz

BANNED
Banned
Philetus. Your party ends. You know exactly who did finally arrive. This is what Scripture says. Certain people will reach the final goal.

RobE

ApologeticJedi said:
Wrong. It was the whole thing "free will" that we were debating. You defined free will as doing anything you desired so long as you weren't coerced. I then posed the example of someone having a gun held to their head and you said that would be coercion only if the victim was persauded by the threat, but if they were not persuaded then it was free will.

Ultimately defining free will as doing what you want instead of defining it as choosing among neutral choices. :thumb:

AJ said:
Now how silly is that. The same situation, according to you, is "free will" if you choose one way, but is not free will if you choose another. My point was that free will can exist even when coercion is present.

So did Calvin. It's central to Calvinism that 'free will' accountability exists even though your actions were foreordained. This obviously isn't my position. I reject that a coerced will is free to do as it pleases. :chuckle:

Rob said:
This choice would be the outcome I keep speaking of and no O.V.er seems to be able to differentiate outcome from ability. Hence the never ending argument "If God knows the outcome then I had no choices!". And my response "Knowledge doesn't take your abilities away!".

AJ said:
Thats another strawman. The open view doesn't insist that the knowledge itself takes it away, but only if the choice is an ultimately illusion. Then it becomes the pagan Fatalism (Manichaeism) that Augustine brought into Christianity and was a disciple in prior to becoming a Christian.

Then by what means is it taken away? I would say that it's your own will which takes it away and makes the outcome certain. God's foreknowledge doesn't as you say. The choice isn't an illusion, it's real. All we have to figure out is 'how does God know it!.' If we do as Calvin and say that the will remains free even when coerced this becomes easier, but to my thinking would also make God responsible for evil instead of evil being attributable to God's design.

BTW - now you are shifting the debate back to man ... but you haven't figured out how God can even make free choices in your system.

You're assuming that I believe God knows His own future exhaustively. If this is true then Aquinas was right and God exists in all times simultaneously. My argument here would say that God does not know His own future since He is able to do anything He wills throughout eternity. That doesn't preclude Him from having a set agenda for creation, though.

AJ said:
Ah .. so whatever probability allows you to have your cake and eat it too?

There is no such thing as a probability of infinity-to-one, and since the Bible records such times that God does not know the outcome, I would say that the odds are no so unlikely as that they never occur. Even you had previously admitted that Hezekiah having 15 years added was an example that it happens.

As I admitted either God changed Hezekiah's future or God planned to change Hezekiah's future from the beginning. Either way, Hezekiah was headed for death until God intervened. It's on the O.V.'s head to prove that God changed it when it came up with no prior plan to do so.

AJ said:
The “root” of the future not being open has not been argued for centuries, Pelagius knew nothing of it, and Calvin absolutely would have denied it. It is a relatively new concept. (That you would confuse Calvinism with the Open View shows some desperation in your position.)

The Thomists and Molinists, Calvin, Luther, and almost every other theologian in Christian history might disagree. Free will, grace, and God's foreknowledge have been in debate since Pelagian as far as I know. As far as I can acertain Pelagians were the first to say that God could not know the future because of free will. Current allies in this debate are open theists, process theology, and its parent process philosophy. For you to claim that Pelagius hallmark that man's free will is paramount is unrelated to your position would be dishonest towards open theism's core belief.

Of course every group in history has claimed that the group they disagree with is following Pelagian teachings. The Roman Catholics accused the Protestants of it, and the Protestants accused the Roman Catholics. Historically, if your debated opponent is failing to make his case, then likely you will shortly be accused of following Pelagius in some way.

If the plan itself is considered “foreknowledge”, then that alone would be what is needed. There is no requirement that the foreknowledge be exhaustive. You’ve failed to prove that. It’s a circular argument when you assume the conclusion you are trying to prove.

If I'm reading you right then 'yes, foreknowledge was used to develop the plan!.' And as I admitted......

Rob said:
Exaustive foreknowledge wouldn't be neccesary for the operation within creation,.....

And wouldn't be required for some 'random' outcome. It would however be required for a 'specific' outcome.

Rob said:
..... but would be neccessary for the development and implimentation of a plan to produce a desired outcome(s).

AJ said:
I said: “I think you have built a strawman argument for the Open view because you are unfamiliar with what is being discussed. We do not deny, for instance, that God had a plan to have Jesus save mankind should Adam sin … the disagreement is not that God had a plan for every contingency, but that God did not know which contingency He would need to use.”

RobE responded: “This I vehemently disagree with. I believe Jesus was the Plan for creation, not a fail-safe if man couldn't pull it off himself. This is more like Pelagianism where man is able to save himself. Because after all, if man can fall he can get back up without a saviour.”

AJ said:
That’s just a wild accusation on your part. That God created a backup plan to have Christ dies on a cross in the case that salvation would be needed, does not suggest that man is able to do so without a savior.

I don't think so. If Christ was a 'backup' plan then you are saying that man could do so without a 'savior'. What other interpretation is there?

And this leads me to believe that your central belief is shifting uncomfortably toward Pelagianism..... :think:

The New Advent says ---

Pelagius denied the primitive state in paradise and original sin (cf. P. L., XXX, 678, "Insaniunt, qui de Adam per traducem asserunt ad nos venire peccatum"), insisted on the naturalness of concupiscence and the death of the body, and ascribed the actual existence and universality of sin to the bad example which Adam set by his first sin. As all his ideas were chiefly rooted in the old, pagan philosophy, especially in the popular system of the Stoics, rather than in Christianity, he regarded the moral strength of man's will (liberum arbitrium), when steeled by asceticism, as sufficient in itself to desire and to attain the loftiest ideal of virtue. The value of Christ's redemption was, in his opinion, limited mainly to instruction (doctrina) and example (exemplum), which the Saviour threw into the balance as a counterweight against Adam's wicked example, so that nature retains the ability to conquer sin and to gain eternal life even without the aid of grace. By justification we are indeed cleansed of our personal sins through faith alone (loc. cit., 663, "per solam fidem justificat Deus impium convertendum"), but this pardon (gratia remissionis) implies no interior renovation of sanctification of the soul. How far the sola-fides doctrine "had no stouter champion before Luther than Pelagius" and whether, in particular, the Protestant conception of fiducial faith dawned upon him many centuries before Luther, as Loofs ("Realencyklopädies fur protest. Theologie", XV, 753, Leipzig, 1904) assumes, probably needs more careful investigation. For the rest, Pelagius would have announced nothing new by this doctrine, since the Antinomists of the early Apostolic Church were already familiar with "justification by faith alone" (cf. JUSTIFICATION); on the other hand, Luther's boast of having been the first to proclaim the doctrine of abiding faith, might well arouse opposition. However, Pelagius insists expressly (loc. cit. 812), "Ceterum sine operibus fidei, non legis, mortua est fides". But the commentary on St. Paul is silent on one chief point of doctrine, i.e. the significance of infant baptism, which supposed that the faithful were even then clearly conscious of the existence of original sin in children.
...six theses of Caelestius -- perhaps literal extracts from his lost work "Contra traducem peccati" -- were branded as heretical. These theses ran as follows:

1. Even if Adam had not sinned, he would have died.
2. Adam's sin harmed only himself, not the human race.
3. Children just born are in the same state as Adam before his fall.
4. The whole human race neither dies through Adam's sin or death, nor rises again through the resurrection of Christ.
5. The (Mosaic Law) is as good a guide to heaven as the Gospel.
6. Even before the advent of Christ there were men who were without sin.

AJ said:
Not exactly. Molina did not believe that the known true result could change, but you confirmed that it could. Also, Molina believed that God knew all of the possibilities of a situation, which is critical to middle knowledge, yet you have not argued from that position.

I have. If you look at my discussion with God_is_Truth then you'll see my arguments about possibilities and knowledge. I would also state that if you look into Molina's writings you'll see that He believed God is capable of changing anything, but that God has no need to change anything. A subtle yet important distinction. :confused:

That scripture would be fulfilled that the Messiah would be cut off. There is no scripture that said that one would be lost to destruction. And that Judas was doomed to destructions was a temporal state that he was in. If he repented that moment, he likely could have escaped that destruction.

Then why did Jesus say this.... :angel:

Jesus said:
"None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled."

And do you believe that God was incapable of providing enough Grace for Judas to attain salvation?

My position is that Judas had sufficient Grace, but didn't avail himself of it through faith which God foresaw and Jesus foreknew. Your position is that Jesus didn't know Judas would fall and even after Jesus told Judas "you said it!"; Judas might repent. I would point out that 'might repent' is the same as 'could repent'; but isn't at all 'will repent' which was the foreknown outcome. It was a possible choice for Judas, but it was simultaneously foreknown that Judas wouldn't. Unless the knowledge coerced Judas then the choice was made freely. ;)

Sorry it's so long.

:) Friends,
Rob​

RobE

Bob Hill said:
When God saw the extreme wickedness of man, He was sorry He had made him.

In fact, He repented that He had made him.

Gen 6:5-7 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

In Christ,
Bob Hill

It grieved the Lord greatly what man was doing.

Always good hearing from you,
Rob

ApologeticJedi

RobE said:
My argument here would say that God does not know His own future since He is able to do anything He wills throughout eternity. That doesn't preclude Him from having a set agenda for creation, though.

Nor does it demand it in any way.

RobE said:
As I admitted either God changed Hezekiah's future or God planned to change Hezekiah's future from the beginning. Either way, Hezekiah was headed for death until God intervened. It's on the O.V.'s head to prove that God changed it when it came up with no prior plan to do so.

No such burden of proof exists.

To “change” indicates that it was not part of the original plan. It may have been a backup plan (unlikely since it served no purpose for Hezekiah to live or die - but maybe). Either way fits into the Open model – thus no proof is necessary.

RobE said:
The Thomists and Molinists, Calvin, Luther, and almost every other theologian in Christian history might disagree. Free will, grace, and God's foreknowledge have been in debate since Pelagian as far as I know.

Ah, but we were talking about a future that is not settled. That, has not "been in the debate since Pelagius". That has almost never been allowed into the debate. Certainly free will has been, but that wasn’t what we were discussing at this point.

RobE said:
For you to claim that Pelagius hallmark that man's free will is paramount is unrelated to your position would be dishonest towards open theism's core belief.

As far as we know, Pelagius did not believe in an open future, he believed in a settled future. His beliefs in Free will were not directly relatable to the teachings of Open Theism save in the way it relates to every Arminian as well.

Incidently it was his beliefs in a lack of original sin and the lack of need for infant baptism that made him a heretic.

RobE said:
I don't think so. If Christ was a 'backup' plan then you are saying that man could do so without a 'savior'. What other interpretation is there?

No ... I was saying that Christ was the plan *IF* man sinned. If man did not sin man would not have needed a savior in that way.

RobE said:
My position is that Judas had sufficient Grace, but didn't avail himself of it through faith which God foresaw and Jesus foreknew. Your position is that Jesus didn't know Judas would fall and even after Jesus told Judas "you said it!"; Judas might repent. I would point out that 'might repent' is the same as 'could repent'; but isn't at all 'will repent' which was the foreknown outcome. It was a possible choice for Judas, but it was simultaneously foreknown that Judas wouldn't. Unless the knowledge coerced Judas then the choice was made freely.

So then you agree that in the example you picked, either your position or mine would work for the account of Judas. To pick a particular example that both our positions would work in solves nothing.

How does your model hold in the places where Jesus makes a prediction that the Tribulation was going to come in the Apostles lifetime and doesn’t. Why did God's foreknowledge fail Him?

Philetus

spaz said:
Philetus. Your party ends. You know exactly who did finally arrive. This is what Scripture says. Certain people will reach the final goal.

Spaz.
Of course the party will end. But, it hasn't even happend yet.
How do you explain the individuals on the original guest list not being there?
Sure the part will end. As to each and every individual who attends ... we will have to wait and see.

Philetus​

Status
Not open for further replies.