ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
epistemaniac said:
its an odd mix of Greek philosophy, Socinianism and Process Philosophy with a touch of Deism

Open Theism is a free will theism like Arminianism vs determinism. It has been called the Openness of God, but is more precisely the openness of creation (God created a partially unsettled future with free moral agents having a say-so).

It is a straw man to link it to epist..heresies. Pinnock (Open Theist) and others have shown how it differs from Process theology (finite godism), etc. If it is similar on one point, it is divergent on many more points. It is about the nature of creation more than the nature of God (we affirm omniscience, etc., properly understood...freed from Greek philosophy...ironically).

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Dear godrulz,

This is what I would like you to respond to:
Do we have to be water baptized in this present dispensation of grace, to have our sins forgiven? No.

But, under the dispensation when the 11 were presenting the message to the Jews after Christ’s resurrection, but before the body of Christ started with the salvation of Paul, Peter said they had to be water baptized to be saved. Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bob Hill said:
Dear godrulz,

This is what I would like you to respond to:
Do we have to be water baptized in this present dispensation of grace, to have our sins forgiven? No.

But, under the dispensation when the 11 were presenting the message to the Jews after Christ’s resurrection, but before the body of Christ started with the salvation of Paul, Peter said they had to be water baptized to be saved. Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Bob Hill

I think the grammar in the Greek links repentance with forgiveness, not water baptism. I disagree that Peter was teaching baptismal regeneration or the necessity of baptism to be saved. If there are exceptions (people calling on the name of the Lord with heart faith, but dying before the opportunity to be baptized....they did not go to hell), then making a person wet with external ritual is not the issue. John 3:16, 36 and I Jn. 5:11-13 are non-Pauline and do not make baptism a condition of salvation. Repentant faith is the condition with baptism merely symbolizing this.

I would not proof text Acts 2:38 like the UPC do, otherwise you will need to make speaking in tongues a condition of eternal life.

I do not believe that circumcision or water baptism were the deciding factors for eternal life in any generation. The blood of Christ, not water ritual, is the key.

Mama Etna

Sassy and Ashy Mountain
open theism fails to take into account exactly how the universe was created and how it operates. God himself not only created space but also time. Therefore, He would be beyond both the confines of space and time. Now, even though it is rather hard to explain (though einstein's theory of reletivity would help), when he made the universe he gave everyone the right to chose, but being that He exists outside time, he has the knowledge of that choice even before you made it. Now this does not mean that he made you chose what you chose (free will) but that He made the universe complete, all at once, from beginning to end. The real problem with open theism is that one trys to take someone like God and place him into thier way of thinking. But again, just because he is aware of the choice you will make does not mean he made it for you.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Ogle said:
open theism fails to take into account exactly how the universe was created and how it operates. God himself not only created space but also time. Therefore, He would be beyond both the confines of space and time. Now, even though it is rather hard to explain (though einstein's theory of reletivity would help), when he made the universe he gave everyone the right to chose, but being that He exists outside time, he has the knowledge of that choice even before you made it. Now this does not mean that he made you chose what you chose (free will) but that He made the universe complete, all at once, from beginning to end. The real problem with open theism is that one trys to take someone like God and place him into thier way of thinking. But again, just because he is aware of the choice you will make does not mean he made it for you.

Time is not a created thing. It is an aspect of any personal being, including God. It is simply the measure of sequence/duration/succession. Time is also not a place or space. The future is not yet. God experiences endless time, not incoherent timelessness (Platonic)...see Ps. 90:2; Rev. 1:4, 8.

If your assumptions about time vs eternity are wrong, then your conclusions about God's omniscience and the nature of the future are wrong. The future is not like the fixed past. Your deterministic view logically negates genuine freedom.

We have gone into more detail on many other threads.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Godrulz did a pretty good job of responding to this already but I'll throw in my two cents as well.

The Ogle said:
open theism fails to take into account exactly how the universe was created and how it operates.
I'd say that the opposite is true.

God himself not only created space but also time.
:think:
You didn't get this idea from the Bible.

How long did it take to create time anyway?

Therefore, He would be beyond both the confines of space and time.
Your premise is false and thus you conclusion is as well.

Now, even though it is rather hard to explain (though einstein's theory of reletivity would help), when he made the universe he gave everyone the right to chose, but being that He exists outside time, he has the knowledge of that choice even before you made it.
Even assuming the THEORY of relativity is true - no one ever leaves the present moment - ever. All that exists exists now and only now - including God.

Further, as godrulz pointed out the concept of existing outside of time is not only Platonic in origin rather than Biblical but it is also irrational. It's known as a stolen concept fallacy. The idea of existence is predicated on the ideas of duration and sequence (i.e. time) thus to say something exists outside of time is to contradict yourself.

Now this does not mean that he made you chose what you chose (free will) but that He made the universe complete, all at once, from beginning to end.
Genesis 1 would seem to disagree with you. It seems pretty clear that it took exactly 6 days to create the universe.

The real problem with open theism is that one trys to take someone like God and place him into thier way of thinking.
There is only one propper way to think. You can either be rational or not. There is not some third option out there somewhere. Truth is not self-contradictory - this is the pillar of all sound thought processes including God's. Anything that is self-contradictory is false by definition. Any other position is irrational. God is not irrational.

But again, just because he is aware of the choice you will make does not mean he made it for you.
No on suggested otherwise. However, if God is aware of my choices before I make them it is not possible for me to do other than what he knows. And since to have free will means having the ability to do or do otherwise His knowledge would indicate that I do not have free will.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Welcome to TOL! :up:

epistemaniac

Bob said
Clete,

Good response. I wonder what they really think we believe.

Bob

like the Socinians you deny that future contingencies can be known even by God... correct?

like Process theologians many open theists believe that God is learning, that part of His being is reflected in His unchanging nature, and part of God's being is in the flow of history, learning and changing as He faces new surprises that His creatures come up with, thus the Process theologians dipolar view of God's nature, a sort of dependency that God and the world have on one another.

like Deism (or better panentheism), God is in a "hand's off" mode, not intervening so as to over power human free will(ie coercive), God largely allows the free will of men to shape their own destiny with only some aspects of creation "set in stone".....

it's based on Greek philosophy in the sense that Hericlitus and Plato are forerunners of the Process theologians and philosophers, that creation is in "flux"... perhaps it could be said that Open Theists are influenced by Greek philosophers as much as classical theism is....

its Humanist in the sense that man's free will is the paradigm through which Open Theism operates and interprets Scripture through that lens...

Its Luciferian in it's denial of God's absolute sovereignty, in it's denial that salvation is all of grace, that salvation is synergistic versus monergistic....

but thats just my opinion :)

blessings

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
epistemaniac said:
Bob said

like the Socinians you deny that future contingencies can be known even by God... correct?
I know nothing at all about Socinians or what they believed, nor do I care. My theology is not born out of their belief system as this is, as far as can recall, the first time I've ever heard of them. My theology is Biblical and of sound reason and nothing more. If you wish to debate me you will have to do so on the basis of Scripture and plain reason. Pointing out all the idiots of history that happened to have gotten a particular point of truth correct won't effect me in the slightest, nor will it prove my theology wrong. Your guilt by association technique will not work.

like Process theologians many open theists believe that God is learning, that part of His being is reflected in His unchanging nature, and part of God's being is in the flow of history, learning and changing as He faces new surprises that His creatures come up with, thus the Process theologians dipolar view of God's nature, a sort of dependency that God and the world have on one another.
God is in no way dependant on anything. Any one who says otherwise is wrong - open theist or otherwise.

like Deism (or better panentheism), God is in a "hand's off" mode, not intervening so as to over power human free will(ie coercive), God largely allows the free will of men to shape their own destiny with only some aspects of creation "set in stone".....
I absolutely do not believe that God is in a "hand's off" mode. God is imtimately involved in the affairs of men and in the lives of those who love Him. He is not, however controlling our every move. If He were, He would be unjust by His own standard.

it's based on Greek philosophy in the sense that Hericlitus and Plato are forerunners of the Process theologians and philosophers, that creation is in "flux"... perhaps it could be said that Open Theists are influenced by Greek philosophers as much as classical theism is....
No. Simple similarity does not imply influence although I would agree that similarity is good cause to investigate that possibility. It can be demonstrated historically the direct influence that the Neo-Plotonists had on Augustine who then imported those ideas into the accepted Catholic dogma. The reformers then retained that portion of Catholic dogma while rejecting other pernitious theological ideas such as indulgenses. The reformers deforced themselves from Rome but not from the Greeks. No such historical linkage can be demonstrated between the Greeks and the modern open theism movement as none exists. In fact, the movement is perhaps the most purely Biblical movement in the last 1000 years of Chuch history. And we actually have the reformers to thank for that fact. Their correct adoption of Sola-Scriptura made certain that any such movement would be instantly dismissed out of hand without the presentation of substantive Biblical argumentation. There's just no way any modern doctrinal movement could get any traction at all otherwise.

its Humanist in the sense that man's free will is the paradigm through which Open Theism operates and interprets Scripture through that lens...
This isn't really true but I understand why you would think this. Open Theists are unaversally believe in free will and free will is a core issue but it is not "lens" you think it is nor is the concept of an open future. God's righteous character is the lens through which the Scripture is interpreted for the open theist. The result is a open/free will theism by logical necessity.

Its Luciferian in it's denial of God's absolute sovereignty,
Saying it doesn't make it so.

...in it's denial that salvation is all of grace, that salvation is synergistic versus monergistic....
You don't know me very well, do you? :chuckle:
You might want to stick with what you know and stop guessing. You look silly when you make such blatently erronious and ignorant comments to the point I nearly decided that engaging you on this topic would be a waste of time. The only thing that made me decide to give you the benefit of the doubt was the fact that your so new to TOL. I gotta at least give you a chance. Besides, it seems clear that you've run into lots of free will theists who probably do teach that salvation is not "all of grace" as you put it. Rest assured, I am not one of them - although I have no doubt whatsoever that this is not the last time you will make the accusation against me.

but thats just my opinion :)
I can tell that you put this line in here as basically a jest but let me just say, since you brought up opinions, that I couldn't possibly care less about opinions (my own included). When discussing theology there is very little room for opinions. What I'm interested in is what you (or whomever) can establish as truth, whether it's Biblical, historical or simply of plain good old fashion logic, I don't care, but opinions are rubbish and will be basically ignored (at least by me anyway).

Resting in Him,
Clete

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
epistemaniac,

Incorrect. God can know anything in the future He desires to know, but if He knows it, it cannot be different from what He knows. Therefore it would also be locked in, and since God could not be wrong, it would, all of a sudden be predetermined.

Also, God responded to the wickedness that contaminated the earth and decided to destroy everyone, except Noah’s family, in the flood.

Gen 6:4-9 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. 5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord repented [it repented the LORD] that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I repent that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. 9 This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.

From Scripture, we see very little that is predetermined. We even just saw that God was surprised when man became so wicked.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
I have checked some books on process theology that came into our bookstore. I also got Nash's book, "Process Theology", 1987. I agree with the statement Nash makes in the introduction. "To its critics, process theology is the most dangerous heresy presently threatening the Christian faith. Process theology does not eliminate pagan ideas from the faith, its critics argue. Rather, process thought is a total capitulation to paganism."

I believe in the God of the Bible. Christ is my God and savior. I believe in the Godhead of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

In Christ my Savior,
Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bob Hill said:
I have checked some books on process theology that came into our bookstore. I also got Nash's book, "Process Theology", 1987. I agree with the statement Nash makes in the introduction. "To its critics, process theology is the most dangerous heresy presently threatening the Christian faith. Process theology does not eliminate pagan ideas from the faith, its critics argue. Rather, process thought is a total capitulation to paganism."

I believe in the God of the Bible. Christ is my God and savior. I believe in the Godhead of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

In Christ my Savior,
Bob Hill

Process theology is finite godism and should not be confused with Open Theism, even if there are isolated similarites (the differences are far more dramatic). Open Theism affirms the great attributes of God, but understands them biblically vs philosophically.

epistemaniac

clete you said, among other things:
"... other pernitious theological ideas such as indulgenses...... You might want to stick with what you know and stop guessing. You look silly when you make such blatently erronious and ignorant comments "

roflol!!! I must say... you look rather silly when you are apparently unable to even correctly spell the accusations you make... :)

epistemaniac

Clete, you said “I know nothing at all about Socinians or what they believed, nor do I care. My theology is not born out of their belief system as this is, as far as can recall, the first time I've ever heard of them.”

Well, this just reveals your ignorance of history and historical theology.

“My theology is Biblical and of sound reason and nothing more.”

The Jehovah’s Witnesses say the same thing.

“If you wish to debate me you will have to do so on the basis of Scripture and plain reason.”

I never said anything about debating you. If that is what you think everyone wants to do, then you are apparently an egomaniac and think that its all about you. Be that as it may, given your apparent lack of even how to spell certain basic words, I am a little uncertain at the prospect of debating you. If you can’t spell the concepts correctly, how could I expect you to even understand the issues involved? ;)

“Pointing out all the idiots of history that happened to have gotten a particular point of truth correct won't effect me in the slightest, nor will it prove my theology wrong. Your guilt by association technique will not work.”

LOL… so these “idiots” got some part of theology right… and these “idiots” believe the same as you do!?!?! Lol… and the connection you have to them is… that they are…. idiots…? ;)

You said “God is in no way dependant on anything. Any one who says otherwise is wrong - open theist or otherwise.”

Oh… so God is in no way dependant on man’s (libertarian) free will decisions for what He says and does… or who He saves? Well if God is not dependent on anyone regarding these things, especially, who is saved, then what is salvation dependent on? God? So… you are a Calvinist then….? Lol…..

You said “I absolutely do not believe that God is in a "hand's off" mode.”

Oh… so you don’t believe that, for the most part, God does not intervene in the free choices man makes? For if God does not intervene in the free choices man makes, there are literally billions upon billions of choices made every day that God, in His sovereignty, has (supposedly) decided to “sovereignly” be “un-sovereignly” involved in!! For God to be uninvolved, for the most part, in these free will decisions is to choose to be uninvolved in the most important aspect of the events that happen on this planet, i.e. the choices mankind makes, and the ramifications these choices make on others. That ends up putting God in a fairly “hands-off” mode, for that is the criterion that free will theism operates on, that man is incompatibly free.

You said “He is not, however controlling our every move. If He were, He would be unjust by His own standard.”

Oh really? What standard is this? I guess God is “unjust” quite a bit then ehhhh? Because God does as He wills with us, His creatures, He is the potter and we are the clay, and He controls whatever pleases Him to control, a man’s tongue, the roll of the dice, the heart of a king, He directs Israel’s enemies to have dominion over the Israelites and then punishes them for what they did, he had control over all the sinful actions that Joseph’s brothers did to cause him harm, though God meant it all for good, so too is it for all those who are called according to His purpose, that all things work together for the good, etc etc etc…
Pro 16:1 esv The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.

Pro 16:9 esv The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

Eph 1:11 esv In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

You said “No such historical linkage can be demonstrated between the Greeks and the modern open theism movement as none exists.”

Really? Well I am not surprised at how you err in this, seeing as you were ignorant of the Socinians as well, so that you are likewise uninformed regarding the roots of Open Theism in Process philosophy and the philosophy of the indeterministic Greeks is not all that surprising. John Sanders himself admits that one aspect… in fact one might say, the crucial aspect of Open Theism. Libertarian free will, has it’s roots in ancient Greek thought, and can be found in Philo, and some of the early church fathers, eg Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Tertullian and Origin, and likewise has ties to the(in)famous Augustine!! Lol.. albeit the “early” Augustine.

You said “Their (the Reformers) correct adoption of Sola-Scriptura”

I seriously doubt that you know what the Reformers meant by “sola scriptura”.

You said “In fact, the movement (open theism) is perhaps the most purely Biblical movement in the last 1000 years of Chuch history.”

This is the gist of what the Jehovah’s Witnesses and other like groups say as well… that the church was hopelessly lost until “they” came around. Riiigghhttttt…..
anyway, the movement is not totally new at all, for instance, many of it’s ideas concerning what kinds of things God can know are what the Socinians believed during the 1600’s. Calvin battled them, as did Francis Turretin as well as other Reformers.

You said “Saying it doesn't make it so.”

Lol.. saying its not doesn’t negate it.

You said “You don't know me very well, do you?”

Lol.. very true, you don’t know me very well either, now that this is settled… we can be moving right along… :)

You said “You might want to stick with what you know and stop guessing.”

Lol.. right back at ya!!! Roflol….what do you know about what I know? Don’t be a hypocrite, if you are going to accuse others of what you are doing, that is exactly what you end up being.
As it is, I know a fair amount about Open Theism. Here are the books I have read on the subject:
The Coming Evangelical Crises, in particular the chapt by Robert Strimple “What Does God Know?
The Openness of God by Richard Rice
Grace Unlimited by Clark Pinnock
Predestination and Free will edited by the Basingers…
No One Like Him by John Feinberg
God the Father Almighty, A Exploration of the Divine Attributes by Millard J Erickson
No Other God by John Frame
The Battle for God Norm Geisler and H. Wayne House
Creating God in the Image of Man? The New “Open” View of God- Neotheism’s Dangerous Drift by Norm Geisler
The Freedom of God and The Bondage of the Will, 2 volumes edited by Thomas Schreiner and Bruce Ware
God’s Lesser Glory by Bruce Ware
Beyond the Bounds edited by John Piper, Justin Taylor and Paul Kjoss Helset
And lastly, I might add that Robert Reymond’s A New Systematic Theology fo the Christian Faith spends quite a bit of time dealing directly with Pinnock and the open view.

I have also read many many articles on the net regarding the controversy as it pertained to Boyd’s membership in the General Baptist Convention, eg the dialogs between Greg Boyd and John Piper and others as they spoke to the subject of the membership being revoked and the controversy itself.

Also, I was around during the original formation of theologyonline, and was very active during the first several incarnations of the site, so I have also spent a great deal of time and effort on coming to understand and critique the view on a practical level.

Lastly, I finished just short of a Master’s Degree from a Christian College, majoring in Biblical Counseling and double minoring in Apologetics and Systematic Theology, I am no scholar per se, but I have logged in quite a bit of time on the subject, so don’t assume you know the extent of what I know on the subject, especially don’t do so while criticizing ME for not knowing the extent of your knowledge on the subject, which, BTW, I never did… so don’t assume because you know what happens when anyone assumes, right? Lol…..

You said “You look silly when you make such blatently erronious and ignorant comments to the point I nearly decided that engaging you on this topic would be a waste of time. The only thing that made me decide to give you the benefit of the doubt was the fact that your so new to TOL. I gotta at least give you a chance.”

Oh… so gracious of you… thanks for taking it easy on me. Lol :) That you have condescended to speak to one so lowly as myself makes me feel… well… the emotions that are washing over me right now are just too profound for words…. Lol…. Seriously, I do appreciate it…. As I do realize that as compared to most of the regulars here at TOL, at least back when I was an active participant—so I am not too sure how many of them are still around, anyway, in comparison, you probably did in fact take it fairly easy on me, thanks.

You said “Besides, it seems clear that you've run into lots of free will theists who probably do teach that salvation is not "all of grace" as you put it.”

Lol… well… to be fair, coming from the soteriological perspective that I come from, anyone who teaches a synergistic view in regard to the gospel, Roman Catholics, liberal Lutherans, Arminians/Semi-Pelagians and Pelagians of every stripe… all deny that salvation is all of grace, so, you are probably right, it won’t be the last time lol….. :)

You said “Rest assured, I am not one of them - although I have no doubt whatsoever that this is not the last time you will make the accusation against me.”

Well… keeping in mind what I just said above… you are probably correct. :)

Lastly, you said “I can tell that you put this line in here as basically a jest but let me just say, since you brought up opinions, that I couldn't possibly care less about opinions (my own included). When discussing theology there is very little room for opinions. What I'm interested in is what you (or whomever) can establish as truth, whether it's Biblical, historical or simply of plain good old fashion logic, I don't care, but opinions are rubbish and will be basically ignored (at least by me anyway).”

Well for the most part I say Amen!! Realistically, however, none of us is so pure in our theology that there doesn’t exist opinions of every sort. None of us is without sin, therefore none of our various theologies is perfect, and all contain presuppositions both on the conscience and unconscious levels, however, it is our somber duty to weed out these unbiblical notions whenever possible.
On that note, the Reformers taught sola scriptura… which made Scripture the final arbiter in all theological disputes, but, they did not believe in solo scriptura, that is, they had a healthy respect for traditions. That is to say, they did not have the arrogant perspective that no one before them had the Holy Spirit. They believed very strongly that God gave teachers to the church, e.g.
1Co 12:28 esv And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.”
Eph 4:11-12 esv And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,
(12) to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,”

So we are being unbiblical if we refuse to avail ourselves of the teachers that God has given to the church, though of course we must test all things and prove all things. I think Charles Spurgeon had some wise words to say on this subject as he lectured his students:
“In order to be able to expound the Scriptures, and as an aid to your pulpit studies, you will need to be familiar with the commentators: a glorious army, let me tell you, whose acquaintance will be your delight and profit. Of course, you are not such wiseacres as to think or say that you can expound Scripture without assistance from the works of divines and learned men who have laboured before you in the field of exposition. If you are of that opinion, pray remain so, for you are not worth the trouble of conversion, and like a little coterie who think with you, would resent the attempt as an insult to your infallibility. It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what he has revealed to others.” http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/c&cl1.htm

blessings

epistemaniac

Clete I meant to add this:
I had said "like Process theologians many open theists believe that God is learning, that part of His being is reflected in His unchanging nature, and part of God's being is in the flow of history, learning and changing as He faces new surprises that His creatures come up with, thus the Process theologians dipolar view of God's nature, a sort of dependency that God and the world have on one another."

to which you replied...
"God is in no way dependant on anything. Any one who says otherwise is wrong - open theist or otherwise."

…. be that as it may, my point was that this is what Open Theism believes, or it is at least a common Open Theistic explanation of the relationship God has to creation. Clark Pinnock writes:
"God is not independent of the world in every sense. For example, he is not like the God of Aristotle who was described as preoccupied with himself and not knowledgeable of the world. According to the Bible, God most certainly knows and cares for the world. He is, therefore, dependent on it, at least in the sense of knowing about it. God takes account of what is happening in the world and responds appropriately. Thus, in a sense, God is dependent on the world for information about the world. ... Such cognitive dependency is something God accepted when he made a significant universe outside himself.... New information flows in, and God takes account of it." (Predestination and Free Will, Four Views, 146-147)

In one way, then, I don't care what you believe personally about these things. My point was that Open Theists believe that God is dependent on the world (though I am glad in another sense that you do disagree with them on this as I personally think it to be erroneous), and Clark Pinnock is clearly one of the leading Open Theists. So my comments were about Open Theists in general, and not your beliefs in particular.

However, I realize that Open Theism is not monolithic in its beliefs, there are differences just as Calvinism is not uniform in that all persons who might be called "Calvinists" believe exactly all the same things.

blessings

epistemaniac

Bob, you said “epistemaniac, Incorrect. God can know anything in the future He desires to know, but if He knows it, it cannot be different from what He knows. Therefore it would also be locked in, and since God could not be wrong, it would, all of a sudden be predetermined.”

No, you are incorrect, in so far as you do not typify Open Theism. Open Theists in general, which was my point, even most Open Theists, deny that God can know the future because the future isn’t one of those things that is possible to know because future contingencies are just that, contingencies, therefore they are not “there” to be known. Just like it is impossible for God to know what a square circle looks like, He cannot, according to Open Theism, know future contingencies. This is standard Open Theist fare and if you disagree with it fine, but in so far as you disagree with it, you part ways with the typical Open Theist. And my point was just to say what was common to Open Theists generally and not in regard to you specifically or personally.

Clark Pinnock, who without dispute or controversy ought to be regarded as one of the leading Open Theists, whether you agree with him or not, said
“But if this is so, in what sense is God omniscient? God is omniscient in the sense that he knows everything that can be known, just as God is omnipotent in the sense that he can do everything that can be done. But free actions are not entities which can be known ahead of time. They literally do not exist to be known. God can surmise what you will do next Friday, but cannot know for certain because you have not done it yet. (Predestination and Free Will, ed Basinger and Basinger, p157)

So, consulting my handy dandy copy of Francis Turretin’s Institutes of Elenctic Theology, we have this:
Twelfth Question: The Knowledge of God
Do all things fall under the knowledge of God, both singulars and future contingencies?
We affirm against Socinius.
III. The object of the knowledge of God is both himself (who most perfectly knows himself in himself) and all things extrinsic to him whether possible or future (i.e. as to their various orders and states; as to quantity – great and small; as to quality – good and bad; as to prediction – universals and singulars; as to time – past, present and future; as to state – necessary and free or contingent.) and etc… (Volume One: First Through Tenth Topics, p 206)

The point here is this, that I was exactly correct in saying that Open Theism and Socinianism are the exact same in this respect, that of their view that God cannot know future contingencies because they do not exist yet to be known.

So the next time you seek to correct me, it might behoove you to actually know what you are talking about, e.g., what the common Open Theists beliefs are.

As far as the rest of your post goes, it is irrelevant.

Blessings

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
epistemaniac,

The typical open theist believes that God does know all future contingencies, but that He knows them as just that, contingencies.

And as I've already pointed out your guilt by association argument does not hold any water, either from a theological or a rational perspective and yet you presist in presenting it. Typical. :rolleyes:

Further, your arrogance is astounding. Pastor Hill has been an open theist probably longer than you've been alive and certainly longer than you've been studying open theism or even theology for that matter. Show some respect and pay attention to what you are being told, you might just learn something.

I haven't read your post in response to me yet. If I don't respond within the next 24 hours it will be because I've determined that you are not interested in honest debate. Judging by the way you reacted to Pastor Hill, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Resting in Him,
Clete

ItIsWritten

Clete said:
The typical open theist believes that God does know all future contingencies, but that He knows them as just that, contingencies.
This formulation of course is simply another way of claiming that God doesn't know THE TRUTH about the future, i.e. God isn't sure / can't know what will ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

This is of course no different than someone knowing ALL THE POSSIBLE WINNING LOTTERY COMBINATIONS for next week -- but what they DON'T know is WHICH OF THE POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS WILL ACTUALLY OCCUR.

But the idea that God does not know what will ACTUALLY OCCUR does not fit with what we find revealed in scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.