ARCHIVE: God's mass-murder in the flood

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by smothers
The logical conclusion of free-will (created by God) is that His creation could DO evil. I am assuming that God knew this possibility when he created this environment. God is responsible for evil in that he chose not to set up an environment in which abortion doctors could kill babies while He looks on and does nothing.
God is no more responsible for creating evil than a axe maker is responsible for a man using an axe to murder someone with it.

I suggest you reconsider your "logic".

smothers

BANNED
Banned
If the axe maker had the ability to stop the axe murderer (without risking any bodily harm to anyone) from killing a 9-month old while it was happening, the axe maker would be equally responsible for the crime. Am I not correct?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the axe maker had the ability to stop the axe murderer (without risking any bodily harm to anyone) from killing a 9-month old while it was happening, the axe maker would be equally responsible for the crime. Am I not correct?
That is where the anaolgy breaks down.

By definition freewill is not coerced.... therefore for God to give freewill to man He must not coerce man. Otherwise He hasn't really given man freewill has He?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Granite,
Now we are getting somewhere. If it is evil for the "created" to do "x', would it not follow that it is also evil for the creator to do "x"? I await your response.

Mark

Of course not: the standard is completely different. We're talking about the actions of an omnipotent deity as opposed to the actions of fallen men. There is simply no comparison.

granite

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do concede that abortion is evil. Using your analogy, why can't I as the creator of my child, take him from this life to the afterlife. Why is this only reserved for an unseen creator?

I Highly doubt that you are telling the truth here. You are pro choice ADMIT IT!

smothers

BANNED
Banned
1. God can do anything.
2. God created the universe and the environment in which his creations operate.
3. The environment which he created includes a concept called "free-will".
4."Freewill" allows people to do evil.
5. God chose not to have an alternative in which evil is not possible in his environment.
6. Through God's passive or active actions He allows evil to occur.

Therefore God is evil.

Although I can not think of an environment in which freewill and evil can co-exist, I think it is reasonable that God could install one.

smothers

BANNED
Banned
Quote:

I Highly doubt that you are telling the truth here. You are pro choice ADMIT IT!

-----

Yes I am pro-choice, I want mothers and doctors to choose not to murder their children! :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Although I can not think of an environment in which freewill and evil can co-exist, I think it is reasonable that God could install one.
If freewill does not allow for one to choose anything but what is predefined then freewill does not exist.

Your point fails.

Want to try another?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes I am pro-choice, I want mothers and doctors to choose not to murder their children! :)
That might be the dumbest statement ever typed on TOL.

You my friend.... are a moron.

smothers

BANNED
Banned
Quote:

If freewill does not allow for one to choose anything but what is predefined then freewill does not exist.

Your point fails.

Want to try another?

--------

Could not an omnipotent God create a situation in which freewill and evil could co-exist? If he could but chose not to, doesn't that make him complicit in evil?

smothers

BANNED
Banned
Quote:

That might be the dumbest statement ever typed on TOL.

You my friend.... are a moron.

------

Knight,

You surpirse me. My feeble attempt at humor may fail, but it is no reason to call me names. I demand an apology.

Mark

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

Your point fails.

Want to try another?

--------

Could not an omnipotent God create a situation in which freewill and evil could co-exist? If he could but chose not to, doesn't that make him complicit in evil?
God is not a fairy.

He cannot make evil good nor good evil. He cannot create a four sided triangle or create a rock so big He cannot lift it. God is not illogical. He is real and rational.

Freewill and non-freewill are mutually exclusive.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight,

You surpirse me. My feeble attempt at humor may fail, but it is no reason to call me names. I demand an apology.

Mark
That was an attempt at humor? Uhhh yea... right. :rolleyes:

smothers

BANNED
Banned
God set the stage, why could he not make a universe in which free-will and evil co-exist? Just because we can not comprehend of one, does not mean that it could not exist.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do concede that abortion is evil. Using your analogy, why can't I as the creator of my child, take him from this life to the afterlife. Why is this only reserved for an unseen creator?

Since you are pretending to believe in the God of the Bible long enough to accuse him of evil. My responses will also pretend that you belive in God as well. Fair enough. God brought life into existence from non life and gave each person a spirit. You and your wife brought life into existence from life and God gave it a spirit. When a man is killed his spirit still exsists in heaven or hell. So if God decides to send beings to their final state of life since he created them it is his prerogative.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God set the stage, why could he not make a universe in which free-will and evil co-exist?
Freewill and evil DO co-exist.

Do you mean....

God set the stage, why could he not make a universe in which free-will and the inability to do evil co-exist?

If so....

The answer is simple.

If you don't know what "mutually exclusive" means please do some research and find out for yourself.

servent101

smothers

God set the stage, why could he not make a universe in which free-will and evil co-exist? Just because we can not comprehend of one, does not mean that it could not exist.

This place called earth is that - where free will and evil co-exist. Evil is a learning process, and it makes us understand the consequences to our actions, both long term and short term.

Possibly if you considered the possibility of reincarnation - you might accept the way things are. If you throw out the orthodox ideas of hell, and realize that we are in hell right now, to varying degrees, that the conclusion that God is really not all that bad of a Dude may be palatable to you.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by servent101
Possibly if you considered the possibility of reincarnation - you might accept the way things are. If you throw out the orthodox ideas of hell, and realize that we are in hell right now, to varying degrees, that the conclusion that God is really not all that bad of a Dude may be palatable to you.
:kookoo:

smothers

BANNED
Banned
The answer is simple.

-------

Knight, please think outside of the box. Why couldn't an omnipotent God create a universe in which freewill would exist without the possibility of His creation using it to do evil? If God isn't as omnipotent as some claim, then creating freewill allows for the possibility of people doing evil things. God is therefore responsible for evil.