ARCHIVE: Burden of Proof

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
I suggest that before you mock anything you should at least be able to come up with a plausible alternative. Until then, you make a fool of yourself as you have done in this thread.

Hey, I thought I was a knob!!!! :wazzup: :first: :devil: :thumb: :chuckle: :doh:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Spenser 2 said:
Yeah, I only majored in it. So then, where does science state exactly what happened with in or before the singularity? I'd love for you to show me.
Please define what you consider to be the "singularity".

Caledvwlch

Knight said:
I suggest that before you mock anything you should at least be able to come up with a plausible alternative. Until then, you make a fool of yourself as you have done in this thread.
I think what Specter (woops, Spenser) Dos was getting at was that you have no more proof that the Christian God created the universe than I have proof that the Great Cosmic Dishwasher belched the universe into a catch-net after taco night.

allsmiles

Knight said:
Indeed. Now maybe you can help Spenser see why what he is saying falls so flat.

For me... I am gonna go eat! :chew:

i dunno Knight, he seems pretty close:

This could be some force that creates matter and energy whether it be God or not.

what's for dinner?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
I think what Specter Dos was getting at was that you have no more proof that the Christian God created the universe than I have proof that the Great Cosmic Dishwasher belched the universe into a catch-net after taco night.
Wow.... look at what we have here on this thread. :shocked:

Juicy morsels!!!

It's great watching guys flame out over such simple questions.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
i dunno Knight, he seems pretty close:
Yeah... that was a bit of a shocker eh????

Especially coming from someone who has made his mark here on TOL mocking those that think likewise. Go figure!!!

---------
Beef. Its what's for dinner. :chew:

Caledvwlch

Knight said:
Wow.... look at what we have here on this thread. :shocked:

Juicy morsels!!!

It's great watching guys flame out over such simple questions.
Um, if you say so. I'm just waiting for you to explain why an atheist must by definition have some sort of origins theory. And what I've been consistently saying is that we don't, because we know so little about the total nature of the universe, that we can't possible know what your "plausible alternative" might be. I'm at least being honest enough to admit that I have no plausible alternative, but I am not condeding that your origin theory is therefore right.

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Caledvwlch said:
Um, if you say so. I'm just waiting for you to explain why an atheist must by definition have some sort of origins theory. And what I've been consistently saying is that we don't, because we know so little about the total nature of the universe, that we can't possible know what your "plausible alternative" might be. I'm at least being honest enough to admit that I have no plausible alternative, but I am not condeding that your origin theory is therefore right.

I think that there are plausible alternatives, I am just not stating any of them as fact.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
OK fair enough.

But here is the point.

IF... you have no plausible alternative... is it really that intelligent to mock an existing plausible explanation?

Caledvwlch

Spenser 2 said:
I think that there are plausible alternatives, I am just not stating any of them as fact.
Ok, I can agree with that, but being raised a Christian, I was never given a good background in any of these plausible alternative, so I don't try to discuss them. What I'm left with is two thing. I don't know, and it doesn't matter that I don't know, because nobody really does. :thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Spenser 2 said:
I thought it was clear, I don't know...
Well... if matter and energy were NOT created during the Big Bang what would be the point in bringing up the Big Bang when asked the question how were matter and energy created?

Caledvwlch

Knight said:
OK fair enough.

But here is the point.

IF... you have no plausible alternative... is it really that intelligent to mock an existing plausible explanation?
I never said anyting about mocking. It was illustrative hyperbole. Illustrating that neither one of us could prove any origin theory given available data.

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
Well... if matter and energy were NOT created during the Big Bang what would be the point in bringing up the Big Bang when asked the question how were matter and energy created?

Just to show what science does and doesn't claim to know. Scientific laws break down at a point so you cannot say it is impossible to create matter nor energy. And if you do claim it, how is your God exempted from it anyway?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
Ok, I can agree with that, but being raised a Christian, I was never given a good background in any of these plausible alternative, so I don't try to discuss them. What I'm left with is two thing. I don't know, and it doesn't matter that I don't know, because nobody really does. :thumb:
Wow.... that's hilarious!

You don't know the answer... but you DO KNOW that others don't. :rotfl:

Does the word irrational mean anything to you?

Caledvwlch

Knight said:
OK fair enough.

But here is the point.

I thought you wanted a plausible alternative...