ARCHIVE: Burden of Proof

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Spenser 2 said:
Um, what? Natural laws follow equations right? E=mc^2 Well, these equations approach infinity the closer they get to a singularity. It is fact that the laws break down, speculation is what happens during this point. However, if you can prove otherwise a Nobel is waiting for you...
It is fact that the laws of thermodynamics break down???

Fact?????

Wow! Do tell.

Caledvwlch

fool said:
If by "mock" you mean critically analyze, then yes, you need not present an alternative to question a theory. As a wise man once said to me"I don't got the answers, just the questions"
That sounds like one of Frank Herbert's Mentats.
I don't believe Cal meant to mock Yaweh with his dishwasher theory, he was useing that to demonstrate that positing an unfalsefiable theory dosen't put you in the drivers seat insofar as having a compelling argument that others must then disprove.
I could have just as easily given the Incontrovertible Plotnoid Gyro-Scope theory.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
I never said you were wrong, I said you don't know.

And you're right, I don't have sufficient data to assume that nobody knows. I do have sufficient data to assume that no human being confined to this physical, temporal reality knows.
Then in essense you are saying YOU DO (in fact) KNOW that I am wrong, yet at the same time you "don't know".

Sorry... that's flat out irrational. :kookoo:

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Which one do you adhere to?
I'm not an adhesive, I don't adhere to one particular theory, I only dimmly understand the ones I'm familiar with.
Earlier you stated... "I don't know".
That's right.
When you state "I don't know" can you rationally rule out any possible explanation?
Not totally, but odds can be weighed, parameters guessed at, and at the end of the day I might say something like "I'm fairly sure the universe wasen't created by a dishwasher because..........."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
That sounds like one of Frank Herbert's Mentats.

I could have just as easily given the Incontrovertible Plotnoid Gyro-Scope theory.
"Oooo... look at me.... look how smart I am!" :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
Not totally, but odds can be weighed, parameters guessed at, and at the end of the day I might say something like "I'm fairly sure the universe wasen't created by a dishwasher because..........."
OK then... what are the "odds" that matter and energy created themselves from nothing?

You don't need to be exact you can give me "best guess" estimate.

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
It is fact that the laws of thermodynamics break down???

Fact?????

Wow! Do tell.

From Hawking himself:

Hawking.org said:
At this time, the Big Bang, all the matter in the universe, would have been on top of itself. The density would have been infinite. It would have been what is called, a singularity. At a singularity, all the laws of physics would have broken down.

Will you now retract, or is that possible?

Caledvwlch

Knight said:
Then in essense you are saying YOU DO (in fact) KNOW that I am wrong, yet at the same time you "don't know".

Sorry... that's flat out irrational. :kookoo:
I didn't say that you are wrong. Stop putting words in my typing fingers. I said you don't know. That doesn't mean you're wrong. You might be right. :shocked: And the Great Cosmic Dishwasher theory might just as easily (or preposterously) be right. Just because one assumes, doesn't make one right, but it doesn't make one wrong, either. If I had evidence disproving your assertion, then I might say you are wrong. All I am saying is that you can not know.

fool

Hall of Fame
fool said:
I'm not an adhesive, I don't adhere to one particular theory, I only dimmly understand the ones I'm familiar with.

That's right.

While still allowing that the universe may have been created by a dishwasher.
(my apologies to any one who thinks the universe was created by a dishwasher)

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
PWNED

PWNED

To further bury you:

Hawking.org said:
Even the amount of matter in the universe, can be different to what it was before the Big Bang, as the Law of Conservation of Matter, will break down at the Big Bang.

Psst, not bad from a guy who doesn't know anything about science eh?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Spenser 2 said:
Will you now retract, or is that possible?
Hawkings is SPECULATING you knob! Do you deny that???

Seriously? How dumb are you? :dunce:

I mean really... I have seen some idiots come through TOL but you rank right up there.

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:

I mean really... I have seen some idiots come through TOL but you rank right up there.

Pride is a hard thing to swallow, isn't it?

fool

Hall of Fame
fool said:
While still allowing that the universe may have been created by a dishwasher.
(my apologies to any one who thinks the universe was created by a dishwasher)
Unless the dishwasher tells you to kill babies, then we got a problem.
(a dishwasher would tell you to wash the dishes, not break them!)

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:

It is one thing to call some one an idiot, an entirely different thing to go about proving it...

Caledvwlch

It's been fun, Knight. But now that we've devolved to the whole "BS" "idiot" game I think I'll have my leave. Ciao!

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
OK then... what are the "odds" that matter and energy created themselves from nothing?

You don't need to be exact you can give me "best guess" estimate.
OK, how bout the same as an allpowerful being existing for eternity past?
How's that?