A Guide to Basic Differences Between Left and Right

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's great, and all. But it only works in the case where there are opertunities to persue.

opportunities all over the place:

occupations-most-openings-2024-eo_tcm1045-133033.gif

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
opportunities all over the place:

occupations-most-openings-2024-eo_tcm1045-133033.gif

yep and my dad worked 3 low paying jobs at the same time while also pursuing a better paying one , while my mom worked too till we were out of the bad neighborhood we lived in and could do better.

Thats a horrible thing in these times of it should all be free though.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, look at all those jobs in retail...looks great.

I worked 3 of them before finishing college, you? I wasn't too good to work hard and earn minimum wage at my 2 jobs while attending school. Ive worked fast food too, got off at one and went right to the other.

Its called suck it up and work hard. You wont die.

rexlunae

Staying in school and making good grades, creates opportunity,

No, it doesn't. It prepares you to respond to and benefit from opportunity. It doesn't create the opportunity, unless you happen to be a teacher, or write textbooks. In a world where fewer jobs are needed, that education may not help you.

... i tested into my high school which was exactly 50 percent black and 50 percent white.

Thug around and chances are your opportunities are lost, and right quick at that.

Do you think they all had the same opportunities if they put in similar effort? Do you think there might be some other factors that impacted their lives?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, it doesn't. It prepares you to respond to and benefit from opportunity. It doesn't create the opportunity, unless you happen to be a teacher, or write textbooks. In a world where fewer jobs are needed, that education may not help you.

Do you think they all had the same opportunities if they put in similar effort? Do you think there might be some other factors that impacted their lives?

Yes. Do you think my black teachers in the predominately black neighborhood i lived in, catered to my white privilege?

rexlunae

I worked 3 of them before finishing college, you?

Twice. It never would have paid the bills long term, or lead anywhere.

I wasn't too good to work hard and earn minimum wage at my 2 jobs while attending school.

That's not the problem.

Ive worked fast food too, got off at one and went right to the other.

Its called suck it up and work hard. You wont die.

If all the jobs are for low-wage, dead-end jobs, which is what retail tends to be, it doesn't matter how hard you work. Your opportunities will be limited.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Twice. It never would have paid the bills long term, or lead anywhere.

That's not the problem.

If all the jobs are for low-wage, dead-end jobs, which is what retail tends to be, it doesn't matter how hard you work. Your opportunities will be limited.

yes, as those kinds of jobs should be, move up into management or go to school or somehow get a better job and leave those ones to the young people as stepping stones, the way most of us (other then these days special snowflakes and lifelong welfare cheats and gimme gimmes do it.

It can be done. Limited, does not mean impossible. You do with what is available and work hard.

You shop sales for your stuff, etc..

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Barely.

Sure. For now. But there are fewer, and the paths to advancement are more limited than they were in previous generations.

False, there are far more service industry jobs today than ever before. One only look down the strip malls to see them.

Real people, or hypothetical ones?
Real people. Who work hard enough to move up and out.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I assume that when you went to apply for a job outside of school, your teachers weren't doing the hiring.

No, but i was turned down for a job, and overheard the black supervisor telling another applicant (also black) not to worry about me (who tested better) because she takes care of the sistas.

Does that count? Affirmative action programs push a lot of much more qualified people out, but you just suck that up too and apply somewhere else.

Would crying have helped me more?

rexlunae

yes, as those kinds of jobs should be, move up into management or go to school or somehow get a better job and leave those ones to the young people as stepping stones,

There are only so many steps up in those jobs. Most people can't make it there.

It can be done. Limited, does not mean impossible. You do with what is available and work hard.

You shop sales for your stuff, etc..

It's not impossible to get into the NBA, but that doesn't mean it's a plan. Most people end up spending their careers somewhere in the middle of their industry, and if that isn't a reasonable way to live a middle-class life, and raise a family, then there just isn't going to be a middle class. And that's a societal problem, not an individual failing.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There are only so many steps up in those jobs. Most people can't make it there.

It's not impossible to get into the NBA, but that doesn't mean it's a plan. Most people end up spending their careers somewhere in the middle of their industry, and if that isn't a reasonable way to live a middle-class life, and raise a family, then there just isn't going to be a middle class. And that's a societal problem, not an individual failing.

How did you make it then? Your the one telling people they cant, i tell people they can.

A fast food retail job isnt designed to raise your family on, its a stepping stone.

Cut the victim mentality.

rexlunae

How did you make it then? Your the one telling people they cant, i tell people they can.

The intersection of a relatively fortunate upbringing, a fair amount of hard work, and a useful set of skills. And a ton of luck.

A fast food retail job isnt designed to raise your family on, its a stepping stone.

It's not "designed" at all. It's merely the intersection of two needs, namely the need of an employer to have work done, and an employee for a source of income.