8/6 Republican Debate Thread

rexlunae

I left the GOP in 2012 and changed my registration to unaffiliated. I thought it was a good decision at the time, but from here it looks even better than it did then.

I've been independent for a long time, because I don't see the point in giving away my vote ahead of time. That's the best way to go, as far as I'm concerned, and I really don't have much partisan loyalty in the first place.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I agree with you to a point, especially wrt the Christie and Carson issues. I didn't care for the Murdochy feel of the whole thing, and the way the debate was started with that show of hands that seemed a contrived setting of the tone for the Gong Trump show that followed.

But Trump had his chance to go against character and show some class. That he couldn't control himself or his ego is his responsibility alone.

I'm still amazed that anyone finds him credible. Oh wait... no I'm not.
He speaks to the angry base. And that base consists of well-meaning Americans who are alarmed at the modern world we find ourselves trying to navigate through.

He has a LOT of support, as I see it. He's not polite and does not mince words. I am sure those who sit captivated by FOX "News" and ideological Internet and printed sources are less-than-polite themselves when they are in private or among the like-minded.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I voted for both Ross Perot and Ralph Nader. And since then I have immersed myself a bit deeper in American history.

The original Tea Party in 1773 was a nonviolent protest against the East India Tea Company, the closest thing back then to a true global corporation that was squeezing the life out of the economy of the colony.

We have a long history of standing up to and doing something about the crony capitalism we see in our so-called "leaders." That's why Donald Trump, the Tea Party, Bernie Sanders and the Occupy Wall Street movement are all on the same page.

More power to them!

rexlunae

I voted for both Ross Perot and Ralph Nader. And since then I have immersed myself a bit deeper in American history.

In other words, you protest both sides. That's fine, as far as it goes, but real change is only going to come within the established parties or it won't come through the political process at all.

We have a long history of standing up to and doing something about the crony capitalism we see in our so-called "leaders." That's why Donald Trump, the Tea Party, Bernie Sanders and the Occupy Wall Street movement are all on the same page.

Trump is actually the epitome of crony capitalism. Did you hear his statement about getting Hillary Clinton to come to his wedding? Aside from being essentially incoherent, it was an admission that he bought influence with the Clintons knowingly and deliberately. Beyond that, he's basically loud and obnoxious, and not afraid to say something bluntly idiotic, which some feeble-minded people think is a refreshing rebuke to "political correctness". Sanders is really far more subversive to the established power structures in the country.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Kasich is terrible.

kill.gif
He's a controllable pro-homo (Lev 18:22, 20:13, 1 Ki 14:24, Ro 1:24, 26, 27 :vomit:) child-killer (Pr 8:36).

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
It was Huckabee.

Laura Ingraham said he spent time building his new house rather than running for an open Senate seat that would have helped him to be properly positioned now.

What's with the Buick reference? :idunno: Subaru? Dodge?--Buick? :AMR:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
In other words, you protest both sides. That's fine, as far as it goes, but real change is only going to come within the established parties or it won't come through the political process at all.

I understand. You are right on. I am aware of your point of view because I entertain the same info as well. And feel discouraged.

But Trump, Perot and Nader are all focused on crony capitalism and what it has done to our country.

I often use the metaphor of ripples in a pond and the potential effect they might have. I also see reality as a dandelion fuzz ball where the wind scatters the seeds everywhere. So I don't give up hope. After all, it just takes the weight of one more tiny snowflake to send the entire load on the tree branch crashing to the forest floor.

Trump is actually the epitome of crony capitalism. Did you hear his statement about getting Hillary Clinton to come to his wedding? Aside from being essentially incoherent, it was an admission that he bought influence with the Clintons knowingly and deliberately. Beyond that, he's basically loud and obnoxious, and not afraid to say something bluntly idiotic, which some feeble-minded people think is a refreshing rebuke to "political correctness". Sanders is really far more subversive to the established power structures in the country.

First off, I don't see how rubbing shoulders with Hilary makes one a crony capitalist. For the first time in history everyone is basically in the same huge room and we all interconnect these days.

He IS "loud and obnoxious" but I see that as a positive.

I see him as an American businessman & capitalist who plays by the rules that are laid down already--however imperfect. I don't think he deliberately breaks the law and treats us like common sheep the way the big banksters do.

But your point is certainly well taken. We should never take any candidate's word for anything these days.

Bottom line though: He is definitely attractive to a certain type of ideological conservative. I would like to see him win.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
When RePublicans :cigar: keep sending us liberals (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10) why do people blame third party candidates?
Ross Perot's candidacy is given a lot of credit for splitting Bush's vote and electing Clinton.

America IS a liberal nation, like it or not. Most of the things we deserve and yet take for granted today are the result of liberal fringe groups that kept at it and changed things. For the better I think.

But conservatism has its rightful place.

Conservatives build barriers between things that need to be separated, while I see liberals as tearing down walls that should have never been erected in the first place.

Both forces are needed in my opinion.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Laura Ingraham said he spent time building his new house rather than running for an open Senate seat that would have helped him to be properly positioned now.

What's with the Buick reference? :idunno: Subaru? Dodge?--Buick? :AMR:
Maybe he said it because its a brand that will stick in one's mind.

In an old Woody Allen movie he was supposedly killing a spider in a bathtub for his girlfriend and he said "My God it's as big as a Buick!"

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Maybe he said it because its a brand that will stick in one's mind.

In an old Woody Allen movie he was supposedly killing a spider in a bathtub for his girlfriend and he said "My God it's as big as a Buick!"

If :bow: Woody Allen said it--it must be right. :freak:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Ross Perot's candidacy is given a lot of credit for splitting Bush's vote and electing Clinton."
One in the same.

The Bermudians don't care for Perot by the way.

old_man_scuba_diving_royalty_free_080826-030333-865042.jpg

"America IS a liberal nation, like it or not. Most of the things we deserve and yet take for granted today are the result of liberal fringe groups that kept at it and changed things. For the better I think."
Were you a fan of Sodom and Gomorrah, too (Ge 13:13). :rolleyes:

rexlunae

I understand. You are right on. I am aware of your point of view because I entertain the same info as well. And feel discouraged.

I can understand that. There is much reason to be discouraged. But unless those of us who don't approve of the situation organize around effective action, and avoid actions that are ineffective, we might as well be howling at the moon.

But Trump, Perot and Nader are all focused on crony capitalism and what it has done to our country.

I think it's a little hard to state what Trump is really focused on. The only thing I've heard him say about crony capitalism is at once a rebuke and an endorsement of it.

As far as Nader goes, I actually find him to be very entitled. He ran for President under the Green Party banner, unwilling to succumb to major party endorsement games, and ended up deciding the election of 2000 in favor of probably the least qualified candidate in several generations. And that's how third-party and independent candidates are under our system of elections. They can't win under normal circumstances, but they can spoil things for their nearest ideological peers. It takes a lot of ego to really believe that it was worth the statement that it makes to garner a few percent of the votes. Nowadays, he writes silly books like Return to Sender.
http://www.amazon.com/Return-Sender-Unanswered-President-2001-2015/dp/1609806263

First off, I don't see how rubbing shoulders with Hilary makes one a crony capitalist.

Paying her what was, by his own description, a bride, does, however.

He IS "loud and obnoxious" but I see that as a positive.

Why? He gives loud and obnoxious a bad name, which is actually something of an accomplishment.

I see him as an American businessman & capitalist who plays by the rules that are laid down already--however imperfect. I don't think he deliberately breaks the law and treats us like common sheep the way the big banksters do.

Along the way, he mistreats women, and either fails to see or ignores the damage he does as he goes. And it's not like he is a self-made man. His father gave him a bunch of money to start out, which is really just an illustration of what is to come for this country: a future where vast inherited fortunes dominate our political and social institutions.

But your point is certainly well taken. We should never take any candidate's word for anything these days.

That wasn't my point, although I do think that the actions are more telling than the words, and I couldn't take Trumps word for granted if I wanted to, because I can't figure out what it is from one moment to the next.

Bottom line though: He is definitely attractive to a certain type of ideological conservative. I would like to see him win.

Win the Presidency? What on earth for? So that we can listen to more of his retrograde opinions about women and how great it is to be rich and how his wealth proves that he's just better than the rest of us? More snide comments about Rosie O'Donnell in a completely inappropriate forum?