ECT 2Co 5:16 What does it mean to you?

musterion

No...I wasn't expecting to...I don't know any coherent reason why this matters to the OP's question.

The Bible presents them as having literally happened. There is nothing in the accounts themselves to even suggest an allegorical or other nonliteral meaning. They happened, just as Christ literally died for all your sins and literally rose again for your justification. But you don't believe that either. If you did you wouldn't be engaged in most of the discussions you try to start.

Interplanner

The Bible presents them as having literally happened. There is nothing in the accounts themselves to even suggest an allegorical or other nonliteral meaning. They happened, just as Christ literally died for all your sins and literally rose again for your justification. But you don't believe that either. If you did you wouldn't be engaged in most of the discussions you try to start.

I'm shocked at how stupid this post is Must. The events of Christ are the best witnessed history of the period. That was really foolish.

The continuation of Judaistic eschatology has nothing to do with that or with the proof or trust of the Bible. Read Heb 11-13 10x and see if there 'needs' to be anything more happen that is Judaistic. Certainly not to get the business of the judgement of the world at the end of time done. Not a letter.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes sir, that's who we are dealing with, fella.

The New Covenant is eternal and therefore existed before the Old Covenant.
English words like "New" and "Old" have zero meaning these days!

Well, I take solace in what that great meat eater on TOL once said, Mayor:"The truth is, the bible is true." And also in humming, you guessed it....a one-a....a two-a....altogether now...snap your fingers...Acapella...Acapella....

I bear an amazing resemblance to Frank Sinatra, when I sing that...

Are you practicing your "new" smooth move, or "old?" I know, I know..It's the same thing.....Why Paul?(That is too deep for the anti dispensational crowd. I wonder what causes that?)

Hmmmphhhh!

musterion

I'm shocked at how stupid this post is Must.

No, it only appears stupid to the stupid.

The events of Christ are the best witnessed history of the period. That was really foolish.

And herein lies the idiocy in all your posts and threads.

You just authoritatively declared certain passages of the Bible to be literal historical fact.

But on other passages that are presented in exactly the same non-figurative, non-poetic, non-allegorical fashion, you run to human authorities to DENY those as being literally true, even though the Text itself gives you NO WARRANT WHATSOEVER to take them as any less literal than the ones you just affirmed.

It is you who are stupid. Dangerously stupid.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Speaking on behalf of no other mid-Acts believer (so no one take this as "a MAD doctrine"), I believe Paul was telling his readers that even if there were some among them who may have heard and seen Christ during His exclusive ministry to Israel, no one could now know Him according to that ministry because Israel refused to repent and so blindly stumbled. Therefore, no one could know Him in that context any longer. It has not been continued or transferred to Gentiles in any sense; it had been deactivated by God Himself even while Paul had written those words and remains (for now) completely deactivated.

But the Good News is that it was superseded by better things: the progressive revelation through Paul of God's secret purposes of grace (Rom 16:25; Gal 1:12; Eph 3:8-9).

The point is, if Paul said even to those who might have known Him "according to the flesh" of His ministry to Israel (meaning, for us, according to the four Gospels and early Acts), then that inability to know Him thus HAS to go double for us today.

The old rallying cry of "Get back to the Gospels!" is not just backwards, it is rebellion against the revealed will of God and denies Christ as He has revealed Himself to us.

YOU CANNOT AND WILL NOT KNOW CHRIST THE WAY GOD DESIRES WITHOUT MAJORING ON THE PAULINE REVELATION. SCRIPTURALLY, THAT'S "WHERE IT'S AT." TO DIMINISH OR DISMISS PAUL'S REVELATION IS TO DISMISS CHRIST HIMSELF.

That's pretty much a bullseye!

Interplanner

Did the LORD not ascend up to the 3rd heaven?
How you reckon he did that in flesh & blood? Flesh and bone.

Did the LORD not appear and disappear in his resurrected body? "Walk through walls"?
Can you do that?

Only a fool would expect another christian in this life to do what Christ did resurrected. Sigh.

Interplanner

That's pretty much a bullseye!

No one is saying the Gentiles are going to come live in Israel and be a theocracy there. They are saying that the kingdom is now being operated all over the earth by those who have faith, and that there is no restoration, return, revisiting, what Judaism thought would happen.

Interplanner

"He was seen by x, y, and by nearly 500 at one time" I cor 15.

'He will return as he (just) left'. acts 1. He dis-appeared, so he will appear again.

Jn 20:19. He came and appeared in a room with locked doors. Again in v26.

Post less, study more.

Danoh

"He was seen by x, y, and by nearly 500 at one time" I cor 15.

'He will return as he (just) left'. acts 1. He dis-appeared, so he will appear again.

Jn 20:19. He came and appeared in a room with locked doors. Again in v26.

Post less, study more.

He also formed the worlds, parted the Red Sea, was born - get this for a manifestation of astounding power - of a virgin - He turned water into wine, raised the dead, read men's minds, commanded a storm to take a hike and it did, He walked on water, commanded both angels of light and darkness, etc.

I concur - I seriously doubt His not being able to walk through a mountain of marble, let alone, a wall of stone, if not of wood.

Further, the body's blood cells are produced by cells within the body's bone marrow.

Interplanner

How do you know the account was intended to be taken literally?

It is in normal language; locked doors is normal language; fear of the Jews is normal language and identifiable elsewhere in the account; standing among them is normal language and proven in the account.

Those are not written as though symbolic items in a prophecy or the Rev.