Would you pay a tax to ISIS to keep your life?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Glob...an Christians - Meredith Hamilton - CSMonitor

The Islamic State has freed 22 Assyrian Christians abducted from villages in northeastern Syria, Agence France-Presse reported. Their release marks a largely unnoticed trend in IS (also known as ISIS) – comparative safety for Christians.

Why would IS, a group known for its gruesome beheadings of civilians and its vision of a purely Islamic world, allow Christians to go free?

Graeme Wood, a political scientist at Yale University, suggests that Islamic law protects them. In The Atlantic, Mr. Wood writes it appears that Christians who don’t resist the new IS government are permitted to live as long as they pay a special tax known as "jizya."

"The tax on Christians finds clear endorsement in the Surah Al-Tawba, the Koran’s ninth chapter, which instructs Muslims to fight Christians and Jews 'until they pay the jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued,' " writes Wood.

Would you pay? Why or why not?

I'm familiar with this tax in the context of Muslim rule centuries ago but didn't realize it still happened. Or maybe ISIS is bringing it back? I never remember hearing about this with other Islamic extremist groups.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes.

To keep my family safe ... and I am fond of my head.

Yes, I would expect many people to say Yes because of their family. I think the more interesting question is for people who don't have a family that directly relies on them for support.

I take it you'd pay no matter what, based on the head part? :chuckle: I think I'd pay as well.

Specifically for Christians, which is the more loving decision? (assuming no family dependencies). Which is a better witness for Christ?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would you pay? Why or why not?

I'm familiar with this tax in the context of Muslim rule centuries ago but didn't realize it still happened. Or maybe ISIS is bringing it back? I never remember hearing about this with other Islamic extremist groups.

To be honest, I'm leaning toward no. But, I cannot say for sure because I'm not living what the Christians under ISIS rule do. I would rather die willingly than to live in fear everyday.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess it depends on the circumstances. They have no choice. If the muslims show up at this door, no.

Last edited:

Christian Liberty

Yes, I would expect many people to say Yes because of their family. I think the more interesting question is for people who don't have a family that directly relies on them for support.

I take it you'd pay no matter what, based on the head part? :chuckle: I think I'd pay as well.

Specifically for Christians, which is the more loving decision? (assuming no family dependencies). Which is a better witness for Christ?

I think that if we aren't going to pay ISIS we shouldn't pay Washington DC either. Washington DC gives some of that money to planned parenthood who uses it to kill unborn children. I really don't see how DC is any better with that in mind.

But of course, Americans will always be hypocrites. We want to think that we're somehow "less barbaric", when abortion is a massive monument to the fact that we're not.

PureX

Would I give my wallet to a thief, at gunpoint? Of course I would! And it wouldn't matter to me in the least what the thief's religion is. Because my life is worth more than any amount of money I might have in my wallet. Or have anywhere else, for that matter.