• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why don't creationists publish?

Silent Hunter

Question begging would be to claim your preferred "holy book" was written by/inspired/dictated by your personal preferred deity.
It's funny how you deny and affirm something simultaneously.

Question begging is when you use an assertion as evidence. You can assert anything you like, but you can't assume the truth of that assertion when presenting reasons to believe it.
Since when do fundamentalist christians NOT assume the truth of their claim/assertion their preferred "holy book" was written by/inspired/dictated by their personal preferred deity?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great! Perhaps you would be so kind as to give us the post number/link to or restate this great epiphany, though I suspect you won't but I'd be thrilled if you'd prove me wrong.
:darwinsm:

:mock: Darwinists.

That thought never crossed my mind. I was just thinking if you had access to a way of showing evidence for and testing the supernatural, you, in your great altruism, would want to share this insight with the world... while retaining the copyright of course.

No. You're lying.

Also, you're not interested in the discussion.

Go away, troll.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since when do fundamentalist christians NOT assume the truth of their claim/assertion their preferred "holy book" was written by/inspired/dictated by their personal preferred deity?

Since they are willing to rationally discuss issues. But all you do is rant, accuse and troll.

You're a complete waste of bandwidth.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You make a good point. Even beyond finding that geographical data unique to one religion is correct, what if a dramatic discovery of something religiously momentous were actually found and verified – such as the remains of an ancient ship with specific details that showed it was likely Noah’s Ark?

Well, I would hope that if such a discovery were made, it would put another (if not a final) nail in the coffin of the argument of those who reject God's word as being filled with fables.

I recommend you take a look at kgov.com/ark if you're interested in such things.

I was thinking of your statement about science not being able to investigate the supernatural. I am not aware of anything that science has recognized as being immune from study – i.e. “supernatural’.

That's because "science" deals with what's inside a box, and cannot deal with anything outside of that box.

Miracles (yes, a common term today which has nothing to do with actual miracles, the latter being what I'm referring to here) are supernatural events that cannot be explained by science.

For example, when Jesus fed the 5000 with 5 loaves of bread and two fish, or when God brought the 10 plagues down upon Egypt, or when Jesus kept the Israelites' clothing from wearing down during the 40 years in the wilderness. All these and more are unexplainable by science, yet they were all actual events.

Science cannot study something that does not fall within it's purview.

JR, your statement about the limits on what God can know seems to be at variance with what 6days said on the subject:

That's due to the fact that He and I, while we agree on many things, still have slight differences in our beliefs.

I am a wee bit suspicious when a god chooses to go into hiding when science comes into fruition.

Correlation doesn't mean causation.

God has been silent for the past roughly 1900 years, which isn't unusual, considering there are plenty of other periods in the Bible where God is silent for long periods of time.

genuineoriginal

Miracles (yes, a common term today which has nothing to do with actual miracles, the latter being what I'm referring to here) are supernatural events that cannot be explained by science.

For example, when Jesus fed the 5000 with 5 loaves of bread and two fish, or when God brought the 10 plagues down upon Egypt, or when Jesus kept the Israelites' clothing from wearing down during the 40 years in the wilderness. All these and more are unexplainable by science, yet they were all actual events.
There are scientific explanations for the 10 plagues of Egypt.
The Science of the 10 Plagues

What science cannot explain is Moses prophesying about the plagues before they happened.

redfern

Do you have a willingness to follow evidence that seems to lead to a supernatural creation?

I am obligated to follow evidence wherever it leads. You, in contrast, have declared that for you the ultimate standard for evaluating evidence is by comparing it to a compilation of ancient nomadic creation myths.

So, you start with that conclusion, and shoehorn interpretations to fit your beliefs.

You seem to enjoy accusing those who differ with you of “shoehorning” interpretations. In my case, I would be greatly disappointed with myself if I actually felt I was stooping to what you accuse me of.

Is it “shoehorning” on your part when a half-dozen independent scientific disciplines all conclude that the earth is vastly older than 10,000 years, yet you accept creation myths from scientifically ignorant nomads as being undeniable truth?

(Maybe nothing created everything, life from non-life, multiverse, Etc).

We are aware of this short laundry cut-and-paste list of unresolved issues from the extreme periphery of science that you regularly post. I presume you feel it is somehow beneficial to your cause to keep these clearly in view. Can you explain what it is about these 3 subjects that you are trying to show?

You dodged the question which was "If bad design is evidence against an intelligent Creator, (Dawkins and many others argue that) then is good design evidence for an intelligent creator?

I did not dodge it at all, though I apparently was in error when I hoped you were not so inane as to think that is a good argument. Extracting the essence of what I said about good and crappy wings and putting it in straightforward terms – we see that Mother Nature can come up with bad designs, and that same Mother Nature has come up with good designs. Now if you can’t see where this leaves the “intelligent Creator” argument, then go ask your local kindergarten teacher to help you with the logic.

Again you Dodge the argument. I said nothing about (false) vestigial arguments. I did point out how false evolutionary beliefs lead to false conclusions. The appendix was called a useless biological remnant... That wasn't science, but it was an interpretation based on false beliefs.

Now this was my error, for which I apologize. “Vestigial” means essentially a “biological leftover”, but you say the appendix is not vestigial, and that science was wrong in concluding it was useless. Have I got it right now?

If you are interested in articles from the same scientists that deal with origins science, then check out journals that cater to their specific beliefs. IOW, A scientist with evolutionary beliefs is unlikely to get published in a journal that caters to intelligent design or Biblical creation. Likewise a Biblical creationist does not expect to have his beliefs published in a journal that caters to evolutionary beliefs.

What is this silliness about forming little clubs for publishing just so the members in each club can oooh and ahhh over their peculiar beliefs? Don’t we all live in the same real world, and are subject to the same laws of nature? If on a scientific question I say “This proves A”, but you say, “No, that proves B”, then should we form an “A” club and a “B” club? Mother Nature isn’t going to care one iota about which club we are in. How about a little bit more mature approach, and sitting down together and seeing if we can jointly come up with new evidence or new tests to see which of “A” or “B” (or neither) is the answer Mother Nature gives her assent to?

redfern

Well, I would hope that if such a discovery (Noah’s Ark) were made, it would put another (if not a final) nail in the coffin of the argument of those who reject God's word as being filled with fables.

Implicit in your statement are some pretty big issues. First is that you call a compilation of nomadic creation fables as “God’s Word”. Second is that confirmation of one disputed story does not automatically make the other disputed accounts true. And thirdly, some scholars claim Noah’s Flood in Genesis is just an adaptation of a pre-existing flood story that pre-dates the writing of Genesis. If we find an ark, I will stop by your place and together we can go over to the Mideast to be instructed in the details of how to worship the really original God of the original flood story, and not your Johnny-Come Lately-God that liked that story and so had it put into Genesis.

But your statement also rings a bit of hypocrisy. The overwhelming majority of the scientific community has, for many decades, concluded that there are multiple converging lines of evidence that falsify a young earth. You want us to become Christian devotees if ark-type evidence is found, yet equally convincing old-earth evidence from independent fields of science is ridiculed by YECs.

I recommend you take a look at kgov.com/ark if you're interested in such things.

If time allows I may do that. But my opinion of KGOV as a reliable source of scientific information is really really low. I know that years ago Enyart himself blundered pretty badly in making some unwise scientific claims. And I think KGOV (and you) are Walt Brown fans, which speaks poorly of your judgement.

That's because "science" deals with what's inside a box, and cannot deal with anything outside of that box.

I think that “box” is a lot bigger than you infer it is. A couple centuries ago Newton formalized the study of the movement of physical objects. If God reaches into this world and moves something, then He did it by either exerting a force in it, or else by invoking some new mechanism that transcends Newton’s Laws. Either way, physicists would love to be privy to examining that occurrence. Parting the Red Sea – squarely in the lap of hydrodynamics. Feeding 5000 with a little bit of bread and a few fish – something biologists would love to be present at.

All these and more are unexplainable by science, yet they were all actual events.

I don’t know if you consider psychology as science, but there are documented many fantasies that people fervently declare as being true. I find much of the Old Testament to have less credibility than many other non-Biblical fictitious accounts.

I mentioned to JR:

JR, your statement about the limits on what God can know seems to be at variance with what 6days said on the subject (of God’s Omniscience):

That's due to the fact that He and I, while we agree on many things, still have slight differences in our beliefs.

I don’t know that I would minimize that as just a “slight difference”, unless you join with 6days in making free will an illusion.

God has been silent for the past roughly 1900 years, which isn't unusual, considering there are plenty of other periods in the Bible where God is silent for long periods of time.

I am quite confident that God will stay silent for as long as science is around to put Him under a microscope. But just in case God changes his mind, I keep James Randi’s phone number handy.

6days

Redfern said:
I am obligated to follow evidence wherever it leads.
Great! So you are willing to follow evidence which may lead to an omnipotent omniscient Supernatural creator.

You would agree that anything which begins to exist has a cause. It would then seem that you believe there is a cause which has existed eternally. It would be logical and scientific to consider that an eternally existing cause may have intelligence.
redfern said:
You seem to enjoy accusing those who differ with you of “shoehorning” interpretations.
Redfern....that is what you admitted to, unless you mis-stated things. You said "There is no supernatural, ..." So, if you start with that belief, then in actuality you are not willing to follow evidence that may lead to an intelligent designer...IOW, shoehorning.
Redfern said:
We are aware of this short laundry cut-and-paste list of unresolved issues from the extreme periphery of science that you regularly post.
Origin of the universe and origin of Life are hardly peripheral issues. They are issues that many evolutionist hate discussing because they're strong evidences of our creator.
We can create a much much longer 'laundry list' for you of unresolved issues. But... You didn't even return to the one issue we were discussing before. The various rescue device explanations evolutionists employ to explain away our high mutation rate, within their old Earth beliefs.
Redfern said:
Extracting the essence of what I said about good and crappy wings and putting it in straightforward terms – we see that Mother Nature can come up with bad designs, and that same Mother Nature has come up with good designs.
Well.... there you go... You start with the conclusion and come up with a shoddy interpretations. We know mutations can cause deformities and even extinctions in birds. We have never seen mutations improving the design of birds... But you believe in spite of the evidence. We do see where pre-existing genetic information can help birds adapt and survive changing environments.
Redfern said:
I “Vestigial” means essentially a “biological leftover”, but you say the appendix is not vestigial, and that science was wrong in concluding it was useless. Have I got it right now?
Nope... Science is not wrong. Evolutionists were wrong. They claimed the useless appendix was evidence of common ancestry. Science has actually shown that the appendix does have function. So evolutionists say it does not matter if it has function or no function ...it is still evidence for their beliefs. What that shows is that evolutionary beliefs are non falsifiable and evidence does not matter. Interpretations are shoehorned to fit their belief system.

Silent Hunter

:doh: Sorry about that. It's hard distinguishing one fundamentalist christian from another fundamentalist christian, a byproduct of Poe's Law and working from a cell phone.
What an incredibly childish and lame excuse for a total lack of paying attention.
Childish? No. Childish is when you stomp your feet and whine and cry over an honest oversight which did you no harm and for which I offered not one but two apologies. Try working from a cell phone with a 6 x 3 inch screen sometime, your opinion of the difficulty will likely change.

Again, someone that can't even keep this straight is the one that is going to teach us all?
I suppose when you have nothing constructive to offer, ridicule is a good fall back position and a mainstay of fundamentalist christianity from my experience. Ad hominems only weaken YOUR argument, not mine.
It's not ad hominem. If you can't keep something so simple as two users straight, your judgement in general is suspect.
When you choose to attack the person rather than their argument that is a textbook case of ad hominem. That I confused two users with somewhat similar aliases while using a 6 x 3 inch cell phone to format a post in no way makes my “judgement suspect”. Your continued need to make an issue of this makes you appear petty and defensive.

No, sometimes "science" allows us to deduce things that were unknown using prior "knowledge". Technological advancement is neither required nor a requirement for "science" to be beneficial.
It's very appropriate that you put your version of "science" in quotation marks.
There is no "my" version of "science". Perhaps it escaped your attention, I also put "knowledge" in quotation such that "science" (a methodology for gaining "knowledge") isn't confused with "knowledge" (a consequence of scientific methodology) but I won't insult you for your failure to perceive the somewhat less than clear distinction I was attempting to make.
Once AGAIN, there are different types of science that require different types of methodologies.
Great! Then you should have no problem describing, in detail, the scientific methodology used to form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things”.

My point was that the type of science that produces technology is NOT the only kind of science.
I'll post this again because it seems you missed it in your eagerness to be insulting rather than civil...

"Technological advancement is neither required nor a requirement for "science" to be beneficial."
And, once again, I will point out that this is irrelevant.
Perhaps you should put more effort into recognizing when someone is agreeing with you.

For example, you cannot use repeated experimentation to obtain historical knowledge.
"Science"... is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form testable explanations and predictions about (insert your desired objective here)."
ONCE AGAIN, this is about ONE TYPE of science and is NOT relevant to other types of science.
Once again, this applies to ALL types of science. That the different scientific disciplines have similar yet somewhat different methodologies won’t change what “science” is set up to accomplish.

Nor can you use repeated experimentation to validate knowledge gained by revelation, especially from a source like the Creator of all things.
Rewording the same argument ("One is revelation... like the type that God uses and you ignore.") doesn't make it less begging the question.
Once again, you do not know what you're talking about. If there is a God (and there is) that gives knowledge by revelation (and He did), your operation science (once AGAIN, the kind that produces technology) has no ground.
This is begging the question AND special pleading AND a page from the Sye ten Bruggencate playbook of presuppositional apologetics. I won’t call you Shirley but you’ve got to have a better argument than this to be convincing.

Invoking Godwin's Law, how does one distinguish between, "My personal preferred version of deity "revealed" to me "he" wanted me to murder six-million Jews", from something less extreme?
Your love of Internet memes is duly noted.
… and yet again the point seems to have either sailed completely over your head or I was too subtle in my analogy. If “revelation” is a valid method for your personal preferred concept of deity to communicate, then Hitler was justified in murdering the Jews during WWII if he was told to do so by HIS personal preferred concept of deity. And, if so, what is the scientific methodology used to form of testable explanations and predictions to determine if the message was indeed from “the creator of all things” and not simply that person’s own personal desire?

Please explain, in detail, how "science", as a systematic enterprise, builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the creator of all things.
Operational science cannot. But you cannot understand this simple fact.
OK, so “operational science” (whatever that is) can’t form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things”. Now would be an excellent opportunity for you to quit stalling and describe the scientific methodology necessary to form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things”.

It's rather rude and presumptuous of you to make pronouncements about what I understand science does and doesn't do, a common fault among people (particularly fundamentalist christians) who think they have the clairvoyance to read minds.
You've proven from your posts that you do not understand it and have confirmed it again.
Your continued need to insult is limitless... not the best way to construct a convincing argument or to make friends and influence people but to each his own.
Stating facts about your lack of understanding may appear to you as insults. Too bad.
I’ve given you every opportunity to update my understanding (provide the science, give me knowledge) yet you refuse. Why?

Equivocate much?
That was not equivocation. Another of your many confused statements.
"Science" (a methodology for gaining "knowledge") isn't to be confused with "knowledge" (a consequence of scientific methodology) but I won't insult you for your failure to perceive the somewhat less than clear distinction I was attempting to make.
Nobody was confusing the methods with the results. You are confusing the various methods of the various types of science.
“Modern science is typically divided into three major branches that consist of the natural sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, and physics), which study nature in the broadest sense; the social sciences (e.g., economics, psychology and sociology), which study individuals and societies; and the formal sciences (e.g., logic, mathematics and theoretical computer science), which study abstract concepts. There is disagreement, however, on whether the formal sciences actually constitute a science as they do not rely on empirical evidence. Disciplines that utilize existing scientific knowledge for practical purposes, such as engineering and medicine, are described as applied sciences.” – Wikipedia

ALL of these sciences, as far as I know, use similar methodology with some minor tweaks. I can’t recall if it was you or someone else who said (something like), “Science simply means knowledge”, and while true, science is also a methodology used to obtain knowledge, thus the equivocation.

My research indicates “operational science” to be a term coined by creationists for any science that deals with testing and verifying ideas in the present and leads to the production of useful products like computers and cars, and satellites.

So, if “operational science” can’t form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things” then now is the time for you to describe the scientific methodology necessary to form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things”.

"Science", as professional scientists and I use the word, "is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe." (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Merriam-Webster, Inc. Retrieved October 16, 2011. 3 a: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.)
Once AGAIN, that is NOT the only kind of science.
Sure it is. Perhaps if you tried inserting, "the past" (from your "historical" example above), in place of "the universe" you'd see the definition works for everything except, perhaps, that which is "revealed" from your personal preferred concept of deity.
Your total confusion remains.
I’ve asked several time in this and other posts for you to write a single sentence to assist in my understanding of what scientific methodology is necessary to form testable explanations and predictions about “the creator of all things”. How many posts should I expect to wait before you will provide an explanation?

... and you accuse me of begging the question? Hilarious.
Confusing ME with JudgeRightly again. HILARIOUS.
Yeah, when you pointed out my (rather minor) error (as explained above) I had a chuckle as well. Again, sorry about that, Chief.
A "minor" error, like your inability to understand the various types of science.
Let it go, man. Let it go. At least I formatted this reply on a computer. Hopefully the errors are even more minor this time through. Yet I'm sure you will still find something to complain about.

Last edited:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Nope... Science is not wrong. Evolutionists were wrong. They claimed the useless appendix was evidence of common ancestry. Science has actually shown that the appendix does have function. So evolutionists say it does not matter if it has function or no function ...it is still evidence for their beliefs. What that shows is that evolutionary beliefs are non falsifiable and evidence does not matter. Interpretations are shoehorned to fit their belief system.

Oh my, earlier understanding of the real world was incorrect. Therefore your deity.
Got it.

Silent Hunter

TLDR
Too Long. Didn't Read.

Frequently used acronym by lazy, ignorant people in Internet Forums, where their urge to type something exceeds their ability to read something or if they generally lack semantic ability to either comprehend or respond to a post due to underdeveloped brain.

Stating that they were to lazy reading someone else's post just confirms the ignorant attitude and also often destroys the discussion in the thread.

The average IQ of people typing TLDR in Internet forums is about 64.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TLDRToo Long. Didn't Read.Frequently used acronym by lazy, ignorant people in Internet Forums, where their urge to type something exceeds their ability to read something or if they generally lack semantic ability to either comprehend or respond to a post due to underdeveloped brain.Stating that they were to lazy reading someone else's post just confirms the ignorant attitude and also often destroys the discussion in the thread.The average IQ of people typing TLDR in Internet forums is about 64.
TL,DR.