Why do you say it's about race? What proof do you have?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I can understand why they are choosing to protest as they are. It was the only platform available to bring the police brutality towards blacks front and center. Until the DOJ, government and police apply the principle of *color-blindness* into their job description, there is no good reason to NOT protest.

Insofar as Trump ... this is just another issue to take the focus off of Russia and the horrible way he has handled the disaster in Puerto Rico.

It's certainly a way to get a lot of attention but I wouldn't say it's the only platform. And with the other things attached to the anthem and flag it may end up being counter-productive. Granted, I'd guess that most of the people that are reacting badly to the protest wouldn't be on Kapernick's side anyway, but it adds an element that other forms of protest wouldn't have.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
cdf7a35981d759c2540710546c02901e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yep, not to practice their politics on the field, you're learning.

They also have coaches telling them to stand, if they wont follow what they are asked, they should be fired.

I never said they were paid to protest so I don't know what I am supposed to have learned.

It'd be unfortunate but a team could certainly try firing someone. That person may never end up getting a job again, as we've seen Kapernick get passed by a few times.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I never said they were paid to protest so I don't know what I am supposed to have learned.

It'd be unfortunate but a team could certainly try firing someone. That person may never end up getting a job again, as we've seen Kapernick get passed by a few times.
Owners and management of teams in all sports don't want distractions from the sport. Kaepernick is a distraction, a loud mouth, an attention seeker and therefore a detriment to any team. That's why he's jobless, not because he is against Police brutality/ Everybody is against it but we don't disrespect the flag and the anthem

drbrumley

I'm not afraid of that discussion, I'm Pro-Life. Hopefully it will be stopped .

So if Kapernick gave his reason as "18 million black deaths due to abortion under the flag that says it is ok to commit this genocide," you wouldn't have a problem with it?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So if Kapernick gave his reason as 18 million black deaths due to abortion under the flag that says it is ok to commit this genocide, you wouldn't have a problem with it?
It's not the government or the flag or anthem that kills babies, and protesting at a sporting event that is your job is inappropriate. Where you work can you speak out to the customers about your political and social or religious views?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's certainly a way to get a lot of attention but I wouldn't say it's the only platform.
For a lot of athletes it probably is and given the Jordans and Bradys of the world don't tend to risk their money or popularity, it was nearly inevitable that someone like Colin would be the one to move the conversation.

And athletes have impact. Remember when Barkley said he wasn't a role model and people had a field day with it. He was a big stage villain for many. Then he played a better PR game, started speaking up for conservatives, pushing back sometimes against his own community and he became beloved. It isn't that we want athletes to leave their opinions out of things, it's that we want athletes with a different opinion to leave it out of things.

And with the other things attached to the anthem and flag it may end up being counter-productive. Granted, I'd guess that most of the people that are reacting badly to the protest wouldn't be on Kapernick's side anyway, but it adds an element that other forms of protest wouldn't have.
I'm not sure, even though it rankled me. I mean, what's the loss? It's not like police are thinking, "That jerk, I'm going to make a point of shooting more unarmed black men now just to spite him." And racists aren't going to be more racist now. Maybe the whole point is to nudge essentially decent people who haven't considered it with immediacy or really given it much attention. The insulated. Mid, white America. And to galvanize black America as well...I heard a broadcaster admit to as much discussing it on the F1 with Shannon Sharpe not long ago. It had him involved in a conversation that he simply hadn't been a party to before...I know it grabbed my attention negatively at first, but then the firestorm he unleashed on himself and stood up under got my attention and I was listening in a way I probably should have been prior.

Maybe that's the point. Wake those who can be. Like distributing layouts of slave ships back in the day.

For a lot of athletes it probably is and given the Jordans and Bradys of the world don't tend to risk their money or popularity, it was nearly inevitable that someone like Colin would be the one to move the conversation.

And athletes have impact. Remember when Barkley said he wasn't a role model and people had a field day with it. He was a big stage villain for many. Then he played a better PR game, started speaking up for conservatives, pushing back sometimes against his own community and he became beloved. It isn't that we want athletes to leave their opinions out of things, it's that we want athletes with a different opinion to leave it out of things.

I'm not sure, even though it rankled me. I mean, what's the loss? It's not like police are thinking, "That jerk, I'm going to make a point of shooting more unarmed black men now just to spite him." And racists aren't going to be more racist now. Maybe the whole point is to nudge essentially decent people who haven't considered it with immediacy or really given it much attention. The insulated. Mid, white America. And to galvanize black America as well...I heard a broadcaster admit to as much discussing it on the F1 with Shannon Sharpe not long ago. It had him involved in a conversation that he simply hadn't been a party to before...I know it grabbed my attention negatively at first, but then the firestorm he unleashed on himself and stood up under got my attention and I was listening in a way I probably should have been prior.

Maybe that's the point. Wake those who can be. Like distributing layouts of slave ships back in the day.

Love the way you put this. Echoes a lot of my thoughts.