Who is really behind the modern fashion industry and what women "should" look like?

Arthur Brain

Then you have nothing more to add here. Remove yourself and don't post here again or I'll report you for being a troll. There's a good lad.

Well tell ya what Musty. How about you explain just how a percentage of supposedly one to two percent of the population have managed to manipulate heterosexual men into what to find beautiful. Or, be a little boy, do a childish little report and deflect away from that question. Your call.

musterion

Well tell ya what Musty. How about you explain just how a percentage of supposedly one to two percent of the population have managed to manipulate heterosexual men into what to find beautiful. Or, be a little boy, do a childish little report and deflect away from that question. Your call.

Last warning.

Arthur Brain

Last warning.

So when I ask you a question, completely connected to the topic and invite you to explain how the OP can possibly make sense in what it's suggesting, then you refuse to defend it? Fine, you just have at it then. Heck, go and report me as well Musty, unlike you I don't go 'running to teacher'.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That could make sense. Why wouldn't the guy running the show pick the models that he finds the most attractive? So if he's a homosexual - he's going to pick a boyish model, right?

But then... why is that accepted by the (presumably heterosexual) consumer?
The gay thing was a fairly small bit of her larger writing. Heterosexual conservatives were given more prodding than gays, so the focus in the OP is a bit skewed. That said, it was an interesting article.

With fashion, designers prefer to create for thinner women. It's easier and presents less of an impediment to their aesthetic notion of line and use, often enough. Or, it's not so much about looking like boys as it is about looking like a clothes rack that won't alter their design. And, of course, our notions of beauty are driven by the social context. Once upon a time a tan and lean look meant you were a worker, not someone in the ruling class. And beauty was appraised accordingly, though I'd guess that most people have had a fairly wide variance in what they'd consider beautiful and find attractive personally.

Not as a rule, but how often have you heard someone suggest another person has a beautiful face, or a beautiful body, or was in spirit or personality after some fashion beautiful? I suspect that we're a bit more complicated than Milan or Paris has us down for and I think the smartest thing we can do is what I believe the writer of the article is suggesting, which is assert a broader model and change the nature of the evaluation. Beauty is complicated. People are complicated. We should avoid a cookie cutter notion and do a bit more thinking and reacting for ourselves...which I suspect is what we do more often than not. But wouldn't it be something to see that reflected at large?

Wouldn't it be lovely?

musterion

The female hip/waist ratio is a fact. Normal, healthy women have always had it to some degree or other. But many models depict relatively narrow, angular waists and hips that much more resemble the male frame. It clearly is not intended to be the polar opposite of a meaty woman in a painting by Rubens -- it isn't a more slender/muscular but still curvy woman. It is clearly meant to resemble what is unnatural for the average woman: a narrower, boyish figure that the average woman just does not have. The closest it comes to a real female is either in resembling a prepubescent girl whose body hasn't begun to develop yet, or an ill anorexic. It is not natural and I cannot believe it happened by accident.