When Do Biblical Nights Begin?

WeberHome

-
On what day of the week did Jesus arise?

There are sincere folk who insist that Jesus' crucified body returned to life during nighttime; specifically Saturday night. But the preponderance of evidence testifies that it returned to life during daytime rather than nighttime, e.g. Matt 17:22-23, Mark 9:31, Luke 9:22, Luke 24:41-46, Acts 10:39-41, 1Cor 15:4

So if we rule out Saturday's night then we pretty much have to rule out Saturday's day too.

/

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So if we rule out Saturday's night then we pretty much have to rule out Saturday's day too.

I agree. There is one person who insists he arose on the Sabbath, but that would rule out Jesus being the Wave Offering if that were true.

So what if we go by scripture?

Now when He rose early on the first day of the week... (Mark 16:9)​

Early on the first day would be at the beginning of the 24-hour day.

Jesus was buried as the 5th day began and jumped out of bed as the 1st day began.

Three days and three nights, 72 hours.

The first day of burial was the fifth day of the week, second day was the sixth day of the week, the third day was the weekly Sabbath.

But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened. (Luke 24:21)​

The beginning of the sixth day would be one day since, the 7th day would be two days since, the first day of the week day would be the third day since.

We can count back from the third day to the beginning of the Sabbath, another day would be the beginning of the sixth day, and one more day would be the beginning of the fifth day of the week.

WatchmanOnTheWall

On what day of the week did Jesus arise?

Day 16 Aviv - The Day of First Fruits. Jesus fulfilled this prophetic day as He is the First Fruits offering:

Every year on this day the High Priest waved the first sheaf of the barley harvest before the LORD and burnt the offering of fine barley flour on the altar of incense in the temple. That morning Jesus ascended to Heaven as the first fruits offering to God, thus fulfilling the day of first fruits:

1 Corinthians 15:20
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep.

This shows that Jesus ascended to Heaven at the same time the high priest would have been presenting the first fruits wave offering in the temple. Again this ritual had been practised for over a thousand years.

Leviticus 23:4-16
4 ‘These are the LORD’S appointed festivals, the sacred assemblies you are to proclaim at their appointed times: 5 The LORD’S Passover begins at twilight on the fourteenth day of the first month. 6 On the fifteenth day of that month the LORD’S Festival of Unleavened Bread begins; for seven days you must eat bread made without yeast. 7 On the first day [Day 15] hold a sacred assembly and do no regular work. 8 For seven days present a food offering to the LORD. And on the seventh day [Day 21] hold a sacred assembly, and do no regular work.’ 9 The LORD said to Moses, 10 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you enter the land I am going to give you, and you reap its harvest, bring to the priest a sheaf of the first grain your harvest [The first grain of the barley harvest]. 11 He is to wave the sheaf before the LORD so it will be accepted on your behalf; the priest is to wave it on the day after the Sabbath [Day 16].

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Day 16 Aviv - The Day of First Fruits. Jesus fulfilled this prophetic day as He is the First Fruits offering:
You're saying he was buried late on the 14th and arose on the the 16th, right?

What a day, or day and a half?

I don't believe that was the sign.

WatchmanOnTheWall

You're saying he was buried late on the 14th and arose on the the 16th, right?

What a day, or day and a half?

I don't believe that was the sign.

Well I think we've come full circle from posts #28 & #29. So rather than being cryptic still please just explain what it is that you want to say. :)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well I think we've come full circle from posts #28 & #29. So rather than being cryptic still please just explain what it is that you want to say. :)

I'm saying Jesus was buried for three days and three nights.

I'm saying that Jesus was buried as the fifth day began and he was awakened as the first day began. The 24-hour day, not the 12-hour day.

I'm also saying the Nisan 16 wave offering is bogus, the purpose of which is to deny Jesus as fulfilling the wave offering.

I'm saying Sivan 6 is not seven complete weeks that need to be counted from the day after Jesus' resurrection.

I'm saying "Judaism" is not biblical nor is it a biblical term.

I'm saying "Judaism" is a man-made concoction.

WatchmanOnTheWall

I'm saying that Jesus was buried as the fifth day began and he was awakened as the first day began. The 24-hour day, not the 12-hour day.

I'm also saying the Nisan 16 wave offering is bogus, the purpose of which is to deny Jesus as fulfilling the wave offering.

I'm saying Sivan 6 is not seven complete weeks that need to be counted from the day after Jesus' resurrection.

Well why didn't you say so :)

WatchmanOnTheWall

I'm saying Jesus was buried for three days and three nights. No it was only 39 hours.

I'm saying that Jesus was buried as the fifth day began and he was awakened as the first day began. The 24-hour day, not the 12-hour day.What? He was placed in the tomb on the 14th day of Aviv.

I'm also saying the Nisan 16 wave offering is bogus, the purpose of which is to deny Jesus as fulfilling the wave offering.No, the wave offering was a prophetic foreshadowing of Jesus' ressurection.

I'm saying Sivan 6 is not seven complete weeks that need to be counted from the day after Jesus' resurrection.I agree but not for the reasons you currently understand.

I'm saying "Judaism" is not biblical nor is it a biblical term.Jesus was and is the King of the Jews

I'm saying "Judaism" is a man-made concoction.God gave Judah the area of land that all Jews came from.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm saying Jesus was buried for three days and three nights. No it was only 39 hours.

You may say whatever you want to say, but there is no scriptural support for your absurd claim.

You need not bother with the part of a day is a day stuff.

WatchmanOnTheWall

You may say whatever you want to say, but there is no scriptural support for your absurd claim.

You need not bother with the part of a day is a day stuff.

It is not my claim, it is what it says, to claim other wise is absurd. Jesus was put in the Tomb before sunset on day 14 before the Sabbath that is on day 15 as it says:

John 19:31
Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.

42Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Mark 15:42
It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached, 43Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body.

Luke 23
53Then he took it down, wrapped it in linen cloth and placed it in a tomb cut in the rock, one in which no one had yet been laid. 54It was Preparation Day, and the Sabbath was about to begin.

And Jesus resurrected at sunrise on day 16 after the Sabbath:

John 20
1Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

Mark 16
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” 4But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

Luke 24
1On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb,

6pm on day 14 to 6am on day 16 = 36 hours aprox.

WatchmanOnTheWall

After they bought their spices did they prepare them and rest on the weekly Sabbath?

That old chestnut!

Whenever people give an account of an event invariably accounts will differ slightly in the details, however this is not an indication that the account is wrong or didn't happen, because in fact it is proof that it did. Whenever accounts mach up too closely it shows that the people giving the account have colluded. Any investigation whether it is by the police or courts or a detective agency etc know full well about this very basic understanding of criminal behaviour. Take insurance claims for example, or when suspects are questioned, it is collusion that often gives guilty parties away.

While Luke, who was not an eye witness, understood that they bought the spices the day before the Sabbath Mark who also was not an eye witness understood it was the day after but this is hardly an important detail and one that has reasonably been wrongly accounted for by one or the other, but as said this is exactly what you would expect to find when you have more than one truthful account:

Luke 23
55 The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.

Luke 24
1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb,

Mark 16
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” 4But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
While Luke, who was not an eye witness, understood that they bought the spices the day before the Sabbath Mark who also was not an eye witness understood it was the day after...

What if there were three Sabbaths the week Jesus died? Then what?

WeberHome

-
Now when He rose early on the first day of the week... (Mark 16:9) Early on the first day would be at the beginning of the 24-hour day.

According to Jesus; biblical 24-hour days consist of twelve hours of dark and twelve hours of light. (John 11:9)

The 24-hour cycle never begins at sunrise; it always, without exception, begins at sunset so that dark's hours come first, and light's hours come last.

/

clefty

-

According to Jesus; biblical 24-hour days consist of twelve hours of dark and twelve hours of light. (John 11:9)

The 24-hour cycle always begins at sunset so that dark's hours come first, and light's hours come last. Ergo: "early on the first day of the week" indicates the portion of light's hours between sunrise and high noon, i.e. morning.

/

Evening does not begin the day or else the passing over of the wrath would have been on the 15th as evening came between the killing of the lambs and the midnight of the passing over...

Both events however happened on the 14th the killing of the lambs before sundown and the passing over of the Wrath at midnight...

WeberHome

-
Evening does not begin the day

Evening always, and without exception, begins and ends the Bible's 24-hour day cycle.

or else the passing over of the wrath would have been on the 15th

The passing over was on the 15th seeing as how the 14th ended at sundown.

the Wrath at midnight

For crying out loud; forget about midnight already! You're just making a lot of useless noise beating that drum because the Bible does not keep time like that.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of failing to discern that Passover consists of a day part and a night part. The day part is for slaughtering lambs and cooking them ready to eat by sundown. The night part is for eating the lambs. Because of those two parts, Passover straddles two dates on the biblical calendar: the 14th and the 15th.

You know, one of the fruits of the Spirit is patience (Gal 5:22). Well, I must not have that fruit because I am fed up to here with all the twisted, uninformed Passover theories that show up on internet forums around about this time every year.

/

S-word

BANNED
Banned

Jamie wrote........I'm saying Jesus was buried for three days and three nights.

S-word........ Knowing that the Jewish weekly Sabbath fell on a Saturday, and Jamie believes that Jesus was buried as the evening of fifth day began, which had to be Thursday, (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday the fifth day of the Jewish week.) Then Jesus actually died on the 4th day, 'Wednesday,' meaning that he was dead on the fifth day, 'Thursday' the Most High Sabbath, of the first of the seven day Festival of unleavened bread, in which the Jews ate their Passover, this leaves Friday as a day on which the women could have gone to the tomb and prepare the body of Jesus with the spices, that they, like Joseph and Nicodemus would have been able to buy late on Wednesday after noon.

I am sure that the Jews would have had stalls where mixed burial spices could be bought by weight.

Why would the women have wasted a whole Fridays twenty four working hours, while believing that the body of Jesus was decomposing, and knowing that they could do nothing on Saturday the weekly Sabbath?

I like your theory Jamie, as it reinforces the prophecy of three days and three nights, not necessarily 72 hours. But that 24hour working day of Friday, on which the women did not go to the tomb, bothers me.

I'm afraid Jamie, that you are going to have to look at the extra created day of 3 hours of daylight which followed the 3 hours of darkness.

What heavenly body do you think remained between the sun and the area around Jerusalem, which remained in its shadow for three whole hours?

What caused the earth to Quake, just as the light of the sun reappeared?

clefty

-

Evening always, and without exception, begins and ends the Bible's 24-hour day cycle.

The passing over was on the 15th seeing as how the 14th ended at sundown.

For crying out loud; forget about midnight already! You're just making a lot of useless noise beating that drum because the Bible does not keep time like that.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of failing to discern that Passover consists of a day part and a night part. The day part is for slaughtering lambs and cooking them ready to eat by sundown. The night part is for eating the lambs. Because of those two parts, Passover straddles two dates on the biblical calendar: the 14th and the 15th.

You know, one of the fruits of the Spirit is patience (Gal 5:22). Well, I must not have that fruit because I am fed up to here with all the twisted, uninformed Passover theories that show up on internet forums around about this time every year.

/

Today is a good day to give it a rest then yes?

I cant forget about midnight though because that is when the actually passing over occurred...

Midnight of the the 14th day...same day the lambs were killed during the day light portion and eaten beginnning at evening...15th was the Sabbath that followed...