What would make you Catholic?

glassjester

Sure. One of us--or neither of us--believes things about Jesus that are objectively true.

I agree. It's possible for us, as fallible individuals, to hold false beliefs.

So what are we to do when two of us disagree on the meaning of a passage in Scripture, or on theology? We can't both be right.

Brother Vinny

I agree. It's possible for us, as fallible individuals, to hold false beliefs.

So what are we to do when two of us disagree on the meaning of a passage in Scripture, or on theology? We can't both be right.

I don't know. What if we're both wrong and theology is a big waste of time? Who do we use as arbiter of the real?

Right Divider

Body part
Which Catholic doctrine, specifically, is illogical?
But if the Catholic Church is Christ's Church, then we don't have idols.
That's just silly and illogical. Just like both the RCC and so many poster here on TOL.

Is that true just because you said it?

Let me try.

The evidence is complete that the Catholic Church was founded by Christ, and is His true historic Church.

See how easy it is to speak without supporting your claims?
More rhetoric in place of an actual argument in favor of your position.

I'll try to make this simple for you.

The church on Pentecost was completely Israel. It was NOT something new.

The body of Christ was revealed to Paul when Israel, as a nation, continued to reject Christ.

Someday, they (Israel) will be restored.

The RCC is an abomination attempting to steal what Israel was promised and teaches evil doctrine in the place of God's revelation to and through Paul and those that follow his sound doctrine.

genuineoriginal

So any Church, in order to be Christ's true Church, must conform to your specifications?
No, the church must conform to the specifications of the Bible.

G.O., is it possible for a theological doctrine to be objectively true, even if you think it's false?
There are many theological doctrines that I once thought were true that I discovered were false when I actually studied the Bible.

It is possible that studying the Bible can free you from the many false theological doctrines that came from the quill of Augustine.

Is it possible for an individual to misunderstand Scripture?
Yes, Augustine is a great example of an individual that misunderstood Scripture.

genuineoriginal

strange fire

strange fire

God was the one who told the Israelites to make the temple ornate... lots of gold and brass and purple cloth...

so tell HIM
The Roman Catholic church is not the Israelites, and God never told the Roman Catholic church to make a temple with lots of gold, brass, purple cloth, and many many idols.

That is the error of strange fire that Nadab and Abihu were killed for.

Mocking You

I'd have to have a time machine and make several jumps back to the first through fourth century. It may well be that long ago the Catholic Church was once the true church of Christ, though I doubt it. It's so far off the rails nowadays that nothing short of personally witnessing its early history with my own eyes would convince me.

BTW, the thread title and the actual question in the post are two different questions. I answered the question in the post in my first paragraph (above.) To answer the thread title - - nothing could make me become a Catholic.

brewmama

I would have been a Catholic, but they wouldn't let me in because I was divorced and remarried. I became Orthodox instead and am very happy thank you very much! We have changed even less than you!

Cruciform

Hey, my Church is totally grounded in truth. Your Popes seem to think so too. Catch up!
I'm fully there, believe me; I know what the Catechism says on this point. And yet, only one of the two---Catholicism or Orthodoxy---is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D. Jesus vowed to build his "Church"* (not "churchES"), and it matters whether or not one is connected with Christ's one Church.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

_______
*Matthew 16:18-19; 1 Tim 3:15.

glassjester

Yes, Augustine is a great example of an individual that misunderstood Scripture.

Ok, so how can you know which of you two rightly understood Scripture?

You can't prefer your own interpretation simply because it's your interpretation. The NT commands us to be of one faith, so we're expected to reconcile theological differences, not revel in them - founding new "churches" whenever a new interpretation or doctrine is thought up by any individual on the planet.

glassjester

I don't know. What if we're both wrong and theology is a big waste of time? Who do we use as arbiter of the real?

We could scale our conversation back to the realm of philosophy and natural theology, I guess, but I figured we had something of a common ground in those areas, and any conversation would progress from that common ground.

The NT tells us to be of one faith, right?

Brother Vinny

We could scale our conversation back to the realm of philosophy and natural theology, I guess, but I figured we had something of a common ground in those areas, and any conversation would progress from that common ground.

The NT tells us to be of one faith, right?

I believe so.

Going to be on the road for work for the next couple weeks. I'll check in here when I can.

Tweety134

When they first repent of all their sins and stop doing everything that Jesus did not teach. God has no mother. So stop saying Mary mother of God! The idol worshipping is off the table too. And all those pagan holidays needs to go too. But that will never happen.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When they first repent of all their sins and stop doing everything that Jesus did not teach. God has no mother. So stop saying Mary mother of God! The idol worshipping is off the table too. And all those pagan holidays needs to go too. But that will never happen.

mary is the mother of Jesus
Jesus is God
therefore mary is the mother of God

OCTOBER23

PAGAN ROMAN CATHOLICS WILL NOT BE IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

WHAT THEY DO IS AN ABOMINATION TO GOD.

Depart from me Catholics into utter darkness.

OCTOBER23

TWEETY 2342,

Technically Chrystomper is correct.

BUT THAT DOES MEAN THAT THESE PAGAN ROMAN CATHOLICS

HAVE TO WORSHIP HER OR MAKE HER THE MEDIATOR BETWEEN

GOD THE FATHER AND MAN. THEY ARE SO STUBBORN AND BACKWARD.