• Feeds the poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is very open and approachable

• Is a giving man

• Total voters

2edgedsword

Which is why I would never attend your church.

May the Holy Spirit open your heart and call you to repentance and humbleness.

Col 1.18 and Eph 5.23 state unequivocally Jesus is the head of the church, if you disagree, you agree with scripture. Then again So does letting all gays and lesbians be pastors and elders in the church.

Shall we continue to play: who needs to repent or move along smartly and agree to disagree.

2edgedsword

Well... then prove it.

It all comes down to the Holy Spirit's leading among a group of people... if you leave it up to one... you by definition belong to a cult.

If you are part of Presbyterian church (USA) as you stated, wisdom would be to stop throwing rocks. If any denomination is a cult, it is one that succumbs to the homosexual agenda and allow blasphemy to run though its halls.

Oh and come to full age friend, I never stated it was one. You did!

Aimiel

Other...

Other...

One whose heart is on fire to know God and to know Him more and more every single day whose relationship with God grows every day and who teaches others the same fire. A Pastor who is anointed and called to the office of Pastor, whom God has placed there and whom is capable of walking in the gifts of The Spirit of God and who teaches his flock how to hear The Voice of God for themselves and how to walk in the gifts of The Spirit of God. One whom is doing these things will not have to advertise or have a 'building program' or other worldly attractions to keep the seats filled, The Lord will bring in the blind, halt and lame and they will be healed, filled and sent out into the world to spread The Fire of God.

2edgedsword

One whose heart is on fire to know God and to know Him more and more every single day whose relationship with God grows every day and who teaches others the same fire. A Pastor who is anointed and called to the office of Pastor, whom God has placed there and whom is capable of walking in the gifts of The Spirit of God and who teaches his flock how to hear The Voice of God for themselves and how to walk in the gifts of The Spirit of God. One whom is doing these things will not have to advertise or have a 'building program' or other worldly attractions to keep the seats filled, The Lord will bring in the blind, halt and lame and they will be healed, filled and sent out into the world to spread The Fire of God.

100% spot on accurate and the way I was brought and mentored.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Where was the pastor of the church of Ephesus?

Act 20:17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.
Act 20:18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
Act 20:19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
Act 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Act 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
Act 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

LA

StanJ

I am a tad surprised that the OP never even used the following to base his poll on?

Eph 4:11-16 (NIV)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is less a trait and more of a job requirement.

And yet you didn't say it is a good sign of a pastor, and Paul lays out warning after warning about the wolves who will not spare the flock. And it is rare to see a good pastor, one that preaches Christ crucified.

revpete

The one overriding quality IMO is that of self-sacrifice. All the others mentioned will flow from that. A true calling will produce a Godly pastor.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I said "Will say things no one may want to hear" because the truth often hurts and someone who truly cares for another's spiritual well being will speak the truth no matter the cost...

Being loved doesn't always feel like love (Ac 20:17–38). Being shown mercy doesn't always feel like mercy (Jon. 4:4–11). Most people don't want to know the truth (Jer 5:31, Ex 23:2, Mt 7:14, Re 21:8). When they hear it, they seek to crucify him (Jn 14:6).

"Truth is hate to those who hate the truth." ~ Bob Enyart

Last edited:

geralduk

He prays and weeps often.
He preaches the whole council of GOD without fear or favour and seeks always to please God more than men.
He is a lover of mens souls.

If you have such a pastor pray and weep as much as he does if at all possible and thank almighty God he has given him to you.
Don't take him for granted,neither the church.for if you do he will send him to another who need him more.
If you do not have such a man pray he will become so. And as much for him as you would wish he did for you.

oatmeal

A genuine functioning pastor puts God first in his life.

Pastor means shepherd.

We learn about what shepherds do from scriptures like Psalm 23, I Samuel 17:34-36, Genesis 31:38-40, John 10:1-16,26-29, John 21:15-22

Isaiah 40:11

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

Jeremiah 23:4

And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord.

Ezekiel 34:12

As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.

Mark 6:34

And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

Luke 2:20

And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

Psalm 78:70-72

70 He chose David also his servant, and took him from the sheepfolds:

71 From following the ewes great with young he brought him to feed Jacob his people, and Israel his inheritance.

72 So he fed them according to the integrity of his heart; and guided them by the skilfulness of his hands.

They know from God's word how to take care of God's people.

They are strong, fearless, courageous, dedicated to the care and protection of the flock, they take a personal interest in every sheep under their care knowing each by name and the sheep know the voice of the shepherd and follow him.

As a result, he is loved and respected by those who know his character and love for his people. Those that as simply gawkers and spectators will not enjoy the fellowship that comes from learning and being cared for by one of God's shepherds

I John 1:3-4

Last edited:

iamaberean

Not my calling. I have 2 uncles and 2 cousins that were pastors/missionaries and we debate this all the time.

At the end of the day, they usually admit that their views are more based on tradition rather than scripture itself.

At least two of them regret that they through they messed up in their formal education by perusing a career in the ministry without a backup career. Now they are stuck because they have no other alternatives to making a living.

Too many times it is nothing more than a way to make a living and not a calling to watch over God's children.