What if God doesn't want to make American great again?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I enjoyed it too. And I've also seen the apocalyptic, TEOTWAWKI thinking regarding Trump, and read more than once the sentiment paraphrased something like this: "Good. Let the world blow apart. Come Lord Jesus!"

I recently read this by Joe Klein, and it fits in rather nicely with your OP:

Donald Trump, the Astute Salesman, Has Captured and Targeted America’s Mood: Nostalgic:
He has done a stunning job of repurposing the past as the future

This has been the golden age of marketing, an essentially fragmentary phenomenon. America was founded on the principle that the things we have in common are more important than the things that divide us. The fundamental principle of marketing is the opposite: you sell to the things that make us different...

...As I moved from primary to primary this year, Trump supporters were likely to tell me two things: he’ll bring back jobs and he talks the way we do.

In other words, he’s done a stunning job of repurposing the past as the future. In the end, though, nostalgia is a sepia-toned refuge for those suffering a sense of diminished capacity–of wars, and manufacturing jobs lost, of father knows best, of racial privilege. It is a nursing home for those more comfortable looking back than looking forward.​

what is TEOTWAWKI?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
CoNV8nHUAAARUSK.jpg

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Its so funny, when liberals get nostalgic for the old days its all good - Kennedy & Camelot, the moon landings, booming economy, V-Day, etc....

But when Republicans want to Make America Great Again, liberals go straight to segregation, women being treated unfairly, etc.....

Liberals never miss a chance to be hypocrites and jerks.

We want to go back to the great booming economy too, to our own V-Day with ISIS, great exploration, building great things; Only pathetic loser sacks of crap like Hillary, Bea Arthur Brain and AnnaBenghazi would suggest we want to go back to slavery.

2 Thessalonians 2

1 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you,
2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.
3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,
4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?
6 And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time.
7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way.
8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.
9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders,
10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
If trump is elected and has a pro Israel and anti Muslim policy then God will bless America.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
How do you define "great"?

I'd say that when we had just defeated the Third Reich and Imperial Japan, and set all the concentration camp prisoners free, we were pretty great.

Yes, yes, there were bad things then too, but we don't want those, we just want the good things: Jobs, goods made in America, pride in our nation.

rv9ttky40gop8gpeuv8w.jpg

WWII_War_Bond_Poster_Marines_Iwo_Jima_American_Flag-1LG.jpg

Selaphiel

The very idea that militaristic power, financial power and imperialism is a sign of the blessing of God is a gross misunderstanding of the God revealed in Jesus Christ. Seems rather like the God of the one holding and wielding the lance at the crucifixion.

View attachment 24593

Doesn't exactly look like the God who favors the imperialists and the powerful.

Last edited:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The very idea that militaristic power, financial power and imperialism is a sign of the blessing of God is a gross misunderstanding of the God revealed in Jesus Christ.......
The guy who is cool with homosexuals is now going to tell us of the God revealed in Jesus Christ. LOL. That's rich.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
What if God doesn't want to make American great again?

God allowed Israel to fall and remain under the control of a succession of foreign rulers from 586 BCE to 1948.

It could be argued that when a nation attains "greatness," its citizens put their faith to its own military prowess, technology, racial/ethnic superiority and economic ideology - not in God

The Bible provides repeated examples of how secular "greatness" can become a curse, not a blessing - when a nation is humbled, there is nowhere to turn but to God!