ECT What does this verse mean? What is the practical application of it?

revpete

I am a Trinitarian but that verse is spurious so we cannot use it to teach or prove our position. Rather Isa. 6; Jn.12: 37-41; Acts.28: 25-27. Isa saw God, Jn says he saw Jesus and Paul says The Holy Spirit spoke.

Pete.

revpete

The two verses deal with different subject matter. The verse in Prov deals with conduct and everyday living while Paul deals with doctrine and preaching. Besides, what Solomon is teaching is that real love sometimes is demonstrated by telling the truth, even if it seems harsh, just like Jesus did.

oatmeal

I am a Trinitarian but that verse is spurious so we cannot use it to teach or prove our position. Rather Isa. 6; Jn.12: 37-41; Acts.28: 25-27. Isa saw God, Jn says he saw Jesus and Paul says The Holy Spirit spoke.

Pete.

Are you replying to a verse in this thread? I cannot imagine that your post is germane to this topic.

oatmeal

The two verses deal with different subject matter. The verse in Prov deals with conduct and everyday living while Paul deals with doctrine and preaching. Besides, what Solomon is teaching is that real love sometimes is demonstrated by telling the truth, even if it seems harsh, just like Jesus did.

What is the purpose of sharing doctrine and preaching if not to give someone the opportunity to improve there conduct and everyday lifestyle?

oatmeal

Evidently, some people are ready for the fulness of the gospel on this website.

Evidently, open rebuke does not mean open rebuke for some on this website.

It means agree with me or shut up.

It means for some, I am right and you are wrong, so shut up.

It means for some, I can't handle all those verses within my theology, so don't bring it up again. It means I cannot fit those verses in my theology, they contradict what I want to believe is true, so don't bring them up again.

Well, some people are too comfortable with their theology to learn more scripture.

So be it.

revpete

The point I'm making is that OT & NT doctrine are for different dispensations and to compare these two verses is difficult because Proverbs deals with life under that dispensation and stage of Divine revelation while Paul wrote to Timothy regarding Christian conduct in a church setting. However, l acknowledge your point and didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Blessings: Pete

oatmeal

Yes, indeed. The rules for the time of the writing of Proverbs was under the law of Moses, not in this age of grace.

Yet, some underlying truths carry through regardless.

For instance, in the garden, one of the rules was not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 2:16-17

We are not in the garden, so that commandment is moot for us in this age of grace.

However, the underlying truth or principle is that we should love and obey God's words as they apply to us.